Robert Griffin III gets a statue at his alma mater

rg3statue AP

Robert Griffin III traveled from Washington to Waco this weekend to see himself immortalized at the age of 24.

Griffin was back at the campus of Baylor, the school where he won the Heisman Trophy and where a new football stadium has opened that features a bronze statue of Griffin outside.

“It’s amazing. You don’t dream about that kind of stuff,” Griffin told the Waco Tribune. “There’s a Statue of Liberty and all those other statues, but you don’t ever dream of having a statue honored in your name. That’s a blessing. It comes from God, and I don’t look at it as anyone putting me on a pedestal. I look at it as I know where my blessings come from, and they’re using me in a way to help other people. Not just to say, ‘he’s a great football player.’ I hope they say, ‘he’s a great man’ as well.”

Baylor President Ken Starr talked about Griffin in glowing terms, saying he hopes people will visit Waco to see Griffin’s statue just as they visit Washington to see the Lincoln Memorial and visit New York City to see the Statue of Liberty.

Griffin’s disappointing second season in the NFL has led to many questions about whether he can ever live up to the promise he showed as a rookie. But at Baylor, he’s still an idol.

Permalink 116 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
116 Responses to “Robert Griffin III gets a statue at his alma mater”
  1. bcajun says: Aug 31, 2014 8:36 PM

Whats next? A Shrine?

2. 4512dawg4512 says: Aug 31, 2014 8:38 PM

That’s a beautiful stadium, they did a great job

3. oilmanplainview says: Aug 31, 2014 8:39 PM

“He hopes people visit Waco to see Griffin’s statue just as they visit Washington to see the Lincoln Memorial and visit New York City to see the Statue of Liberty.” ……..you’re just fkn with me right?

4. pipkinite says: Aug 31, 2014 8:39 PM

Is he comparing his statue to the Statue of Liberty!? Is he really stating the statue came from God!? Can he really believe people think he is a “great” football player!?

Dang that’s three strikes dude.

5. beardinals says: Aug 31, 2014 8:40 PM

This oughta be a good thread to check back on.

6. crippled4life says: Aug 31, 2014 8:40 PM

Big deal. What about having a statue of our troops, those guys are the real heros.

7. philtration says: Aug 31, 2014 8:41 PM

Robert Griffin IV

Another stiff that is not going to win many games in the NFL.

8. stepoffimdoingthehump says: Aug 31, 2014 8:41 PM

Let the hating commence…

9. iamdinguskhan says: Aug 31, 2014 8:41 PM

Congrats on the honor RGlll!
    HTTR!

10. dynamitelarry says: Aug 31, 2014 8:44 PM

Wow, like his head needs to get any bigger.

11. hatasgonnahate says: Aug 31, 2014 8:44 PM

Take that, Haters.

12. KIR says: Aug 31, 2014 8:44 PM

He’s a bust, blah, blah ,blah. Based on what? A second year QB with a bad knee? You can’t be serious. lol Better check Brady’s stats the year after an ACL. No NFL QB to my knowledge has performed well the next season after an ACL. That being said if he turns out just to be a mediocre pocket passer turn him loose and let the chips fall where they may. His first season was exceptional by any measure.

13. patriots123456 says: Aug 31, 2014 8:44 PM

He won’t get a statue for what he has accomplished in the NFL so far..

I don’t even think he is the best QB on the REDSKINS, did I say REDSKINS, shame on me for saying REDSKINS three times…

14. crush22 says: Aug 31, 2014 8:45 PM

They should have just made a BUST…

15. idolized1 says: Aug 31, 2014 8:45 PM

“I can’t hear any of the doubters now because my STATUE is in the way!”

– Future RG3 tweet

16. teal379 says: Aug 31, 2014 8:47 PM

Just learned all I needed to know about Baylor.

Hint – it wasn’t good…….

17. ctiggs says: Aug 31, 2014 8:47 PM

Congrats RG3 #Nobodyhasitbetter

18. lmfaooooo says: Aug 31, 2014 8:47 PM

Wow, this is awful. The end of times is surely upon us.

19. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 31, 2014 8:48 PM

A statue to go with the logo… How cute.
    Now, if he can become a legit NFL quarterback, he’ll be on to something.

I wonder how much that statue cost him? I’m thinking of having one done.

20. 941bucs says: Aug 31, 2014 8:48 PM

Did he relly nead to stand like that next to it?

21. cfballfan1 says: Aug 31, 2014 8:49 PM

Is the head of the statue scaled to accurate proportions? You know – large, XL, XXL, and then just the right size: RG.

22. honalulublue says: Aug 31, 2014 8:51 PM

What does this have to do with Sam?

23. vusnu says: Aug 31, 2014 8:51 PM

I hope they didn’t forget to put his logo next to the statue.

24. unislaya says: Aug 31, 2014 8:52 PM

Not shown in this picture are the pair of crutches that were also bronzed in his honor…

25. chicagogiantsfan says: Aug 31, 2014 8:54 PM

dynamitelarry says:
    Aug 31, 2014 8:44 PM
    Wow, like his head needs to get any bigger.
    —————————————————-

It does need to get bigger. It has to accommodate all those teeth.

26. boycord says: Aug 31, 2014 8:54 PM

Griffin is out of touch. The statue is 100% for what he did for Baylor in football. Nothing more.

27. patriots123456 says: Aug 31, 2014 8:57 PM

Who cares, wake me when he has actually achieved something noteworthy…

28. Eagles in 2014 says: Aug 31, 2014 8:59 PM

Robert Griffin III gets a statue at his Alma mater.

a BUST , would seem more appropriate.

29. greymares says: Aug 31, 2014 8:59 PM

Proves that Waco is Whacko !!!

30. coffeeblack95616 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:00 PM

You can spot the morons by their posting of “haters” and the clichéd use of that idiotic term.
    The vaingloriousness of this statue speaks for itself. RG III, to my knowledge, didn’t plan it or suggest it. That said, some attempt at humility would have helped. Instead, an overrated athlete plays the role to perfection and Americans just continue to worship these simpletons because they are too stupid to have standards for people.

31. bonnovi says: Aug 31, 2014 9:01 PM

Please tell me this isn’t true.

32. poiuyt7 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:02 PM

Isn’t it normal that you need to accomplish something before you’re immortalized?

Of course, maybe he commissioned it himself.

33. patfic5 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:05 PM

Visiting this is on my bucket list…right next to a night with Kate Beckinsdale…eating lunch with Superman and buying a Michael Sam jersey.

34. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 31, 2014 9:06 PM

$10 bucks says the pass the statue is getting ready to throw gets picked.

35. skawh says: Aug 31, 2014 9:07 PM

RGIII, another in a long list of young people today who are legends in their own mind while having accomplished nothing in the NFL. How about more subway commercials….what a joke. This guy is about to get crushed again. I knew how to slide at 8!

36. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 31, 2014 9:09 PM

It’s ironic that the statue shows him passing the ball.

Uh… yeah… right.

37. louiedogg16 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:11 PM

For real? Its only been like 4 years

38. abninf says: Aug 31, 2014 9:11 PM

Did they engrave his personal logo that a team of artists from Adidas designed as a “gift” to the fans?

39. FinFan68 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:11 PM

Remember when statues were erected to honor significant historic accomplishments? This is absurd. Sure, he had a good couple seasons but it is hardly worthy of a statue. His head is somehow going to get bigger. Stand back, it is liable to explode

40. axx1 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:13 PM

At this point i would perfer the statue as my qb over rg3!

41. toptx says: Aug 31, 2014 9:14 PM

I’ve never seen a player receive more scrutiny than this kid.. every time he’s mentioned you see the same type of generic hate responses..

bunch of spineless contributors in here.

42. norcalseahawkfan says: Aug 31, 2014 9:15 PM

Where’s the RGKNEE brace?

43. lifesuckshereinloserville says: Aug 31, 2014 9:17 PM

Wow is Bob full of himself!

44. tigerlilac says: Aug 31, 2014 9:18 PM

As a young boy, I use to sneak into Celtic’s practices at Babson College to watch Bill Russell, who has more championship rings than fingers to wear them. He won eleven NBA titles with the Boston Celtics, the last one as player-coach. He won an Olympic gold medal and was elected to the NBA HOF. A man of high intelligence and character, he achieved his greatness despite living in a racist city, country and society. He retired as a player after the 1969 season and the city (and team), to their collective shame, did not erect a statue in his honor until 2013. Given that shame, I am loathe to say any community is premature in erecting a statue in an athlete’s honor but that’s my gut with the RG III statue.

45. 4thqtrsaint says: Aug 31, 2014 9:18 PM

I get why they did it, but Aquaman would have been awesomer.

46. Patskrieg dot com says: Aug 31, 2014 9:19 PM

Bookmarked. See you in a year or two ominous foreboding thread.

47. mattw70 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:19 PM

This has nothing to do with what he has done or will do in the NFL.

48. 4thqtrsaint says: Aug 31, 2014 9:20 PM

RG3 loved it so much, he commissioned the same artist to sculpt his logo for his front lawn to help “build his brand”.

49. 4thqtrsaint says: Aug 31, 2014 9:20 PM

Drew Brees really doesn’t want an explanation.

50. 4thqtrsaint says: Aug 31, 2014 9:22 PM

That’s cool they gave him a statue, I hear it’ll break around the knee area by the end of the year though.

51. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:22 PM

This kid’s ego wasn’t big enough already.

Too bad its so fragile.

SMH

52. 4thqtrsaint says: Aug 31, 2014 9:23 PM

“Statue of Liberty and those other statues” yeah, that’s the only one I can think of too.

53. numberoneinthehoodg says: Aug 31, 2014 9:24 PM

Child please.

54. CowboyErik says: Aug 31, 2014 9:28 PM

If this is the standard, then almost every QB in the NFL should have their statue put up at their college or university, starting with 5 other QBs in the NFC East

55. aboriginalamerican says: Aug 31, 2014 9:28 PM

crippled4life says:
    Aug 31, 2014 8:40 PM

———————————————————-

For blindly fighting for the U.S. government’s fake war propaganda? They should be fighting against their own corrupt government and the militiarized people at home if it was about protecting and serving, not terrorizing other countries’ poor people for corporate interests. They give the illusion that they’re protecting a people, who lives in a police state country that has the most weapon arsenal in the world and will shoot and drop drones on their own citizens in a second if they pose a economic and political threat to the CIA, FBI, and U.S. government.

56. 4thqtrsaint says: Aug 31, 2014 9:28 PM

And that statue still moves faster than Peyton Manning.

57. seahawkshurtpeople says: Aug 31, 2014 9:28 PM

“Look upon my works ye mighty and despair…”.

This is like some cosmic joke. It’s one egotistical stunt after another with this cat. smh

RGIII is the ONLY player in the entire National Football League that I have ever actively wished to be a complete failure.

There is something about this dude that makes me dislike him passionately. I anxiously await the day he leaves the field for good.

58. NFLisnotreality says: Aug 31, 2014 9:30 PM

“Robert Griffin III gets a statue at his alma mater.”

WHY?

59. socialmediaisforgirls says: Aug 31, 2014 9:31 PM

Isn’t that a little much??

60. jayovalentine says: Aug 31, 2014 9:36 PM

How many of you trolls have a statue ? Shoot… how many of you even have a girlfriend ???

61. mf7krime says: Aug 31, 2014 9:39 PM

Disgusting. I hate no athlete as much as Bob.

62. GrossmanDaSexCannon says: Aug 31, 2014 9:39 PM

Only bad people live to see their likeness set in stone.

63. ohiostatefootballsucks2014 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:42 PM

This could be the quickest building of a statue in the history of mankind.

64. ohiostatefootballsucks2014 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:44 PM

Quickest building of a statue for someone

65. ohiostatefootballsucks2014 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:46 PM

No wonder yes its the same Ken Starr. Makes perfect sense now.

66. catfish252 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:49 PM

Way too early for this to happen, it will only serve to swell his head and he doesn’t need any more of that. He was treated as the second coming when he hit Washington and certainly didn’t live up to that.

67. ohiostatefootballsucks2014 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:52 PM

Does it have an audio feature where you press a button, and a recording of him and his wife singing “pop rocks and tootsie pops” comes on?

68. enigma2742 says: Aug 31, 2014 10:00 PM

@crippled4life your right about that but imagine they’ll be no place to put them because they’ll be so many

69. canadianvikingfaniii says: Aug 31, 2014 10:07 PM

“sometimes I pretend to be my statue, because it doesn’t have real ears, I can’t hear the doubters”

future RGIII quote

70. eagleswin says: Aug 31, 2014 10:08 PM

———————————-

He then complained that the statue didn’t have his RGIII brand logo.

71. statlaw says: Aug 31, 2014 10:14 PM

Uhh. People to visit a college campus? Anyone ever heard of good visitor parking on a campus?

72. numberoneinthehoodg says: Aug 31, 2014 10:16 PM

Other statues? I mean, there’s the statue of David, Easter Island, and the Mona Lisa.

RGIII

73. theheyseed says: Aug 31, 2014 10:22 PM

Washington Redskins fans are glad to have Griffin as on the team.
    Bunch of whiny haters on this site, you cry like he stole your lunch money.
    Hail to the Redskins.

74. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 31, 2014 10:42 PM

The statue is made of wood, but colorfully painted. Gruesome is wearing his pro football team uniform, and holding a can with cigars in it.

75. 1rockyracoon says: Aug 31, 2014 10:58 PM

Important statues according to Griffin:
    1) Statue of Liberty
    2) All those other statues

He’s really showing off that great education he got during his time at Baylor.

76. thefiesty1 says: Aug 31, 2014 10:59 PM

Drew Breeze can get his own statue at Purdue. Oh wait, he didn’t win the Heisman there. Baylor can honor RG3 any way they want. It has NOTHING to do with his NFL career.

77. drunkwino says: Aug 31, 2014 11:00 PM

Later that night, Mike Shanahan was arrested for egging the statute.

78. bucsorbust says: Aug 31, 2014 11:01 PM

Comparing it to the Statue of Liberty? Are you freakin’ kidding me? I’m going to go get a urinalysis just for reading this.

79. helicopterpilot13 says: Aug 31, 2014 11:25 PM

This guy Griffin is quickly becoming THE most despised player.

80. thefox61 says: Aug 31, 2014 11:29 PM

I think Bruce Springteen sums this up nicely:

“Now I think I’m going down to the well tonight and I’m going to drink till I get my fill
    And I hope when I get old I don’t sit around thinking about it but I probably will
    Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture a little of the glory of, well time slips away and leaves you with nothing mister but boring stories of glory days…”

81. 8to80texansblog says: Aug 31, 2014 11:32 PM

I will almost guarantee he won’t get one in Washington…..

82. laserw says: Aug 31, 2014 11:48 PM

How is it that a player with ONE great season gets a statue. Remove his last season and he is remarkably average. Same is true in the NFL – when he was a gimmick, he was successful – when he was too stupid to learn to slide and when he was running without any thinking, he injured himself – when he was put on the bench, he whined. He used his father to get him back. He whines on social media.

And he has a losing record as a starter with unimpressive statistics to back it up – when he doesn’t throw an INT, he fumbles.

Last season he used the excuse of his injury to cover his exposure as a fraud – a player with precious little leadership and real pro QB skills – he could not lead a team to first half touchdowns for most of the season – he was so bad that a coach who had nothing to lose, benched him for someone else.

And this preseason, without the crutch of his knee injury, he managed to lead his first string offense to zero touchdowns. His play was remarkably similar to last year.

And he has still not learned to slide.

Hopefully that statute can be melted down for some other purpose. For 2014 will be the year when even the blind see the fraud that is Ginger Rogers Griffin.

83. officialgame says: Aug 31, 2014 11:49 PM

This is akin to worshiping a false idol.

84. uwsptke says: Sep 1, 2014 12:01 AM

This guy will be doing a commercial with Heath Shuler and the Boz in five years.

“We’re going back to college!”

“Take me with you.”

85. keylimelight says: Sep 1, 2014 12:13 AM

I’m sure the university contacted him about erecting a statue in his image.

He could have said “I’m very honored to be asked but, no thank you, please use the money for scholarship or equipment.”

But he didn’t.

86. NJ49er says: Sep 1, 2014 12:22 AM

Cheap College Recruiting stunt?

Gotta ask how many zeroes were attached to the donation RG III made to his Alma Mater if nothing else.

Gotta be pretty disappointed if you’re Mike Singletary too.

His stellar NFL career at least has some merit worthy of immortalizing one of it’s own.

87. rutchaser says: Sep 1, 2014 12:41 AM

Too much, too soon. Also that pic is horrendous.

88. norcalseahawkfan says: Sep 1, 2014 12:53 AM

Lennon, Stalin, Hitler and Saddam Hussein all had statues also.
    The diffrence is that RGKNEE has not done anything so his statue wont be taken down.
    It probably will be wordshipped by reporters that write things like “Joe Bozo Will be playing today for the Baylor Buzzcuts, that is unless ofcourse if he is not.

89. rcali says: Sep 1, 2014 12:57 AM

Just so we are clear, Robert Griffin III is a proud member of the Washington Redskins.

90. carverkid says: Sep 1, 2014 1:08 AM

So… how much did he have to donate to Baylor to get that statue again?

91. campcouch says: Sep 1, 2014 1:16 AM

Meh,Saban has one and he’s still coaching at the school.

92. gmiller305 says: Sep 1, 2014 1:30 AM

It’s a shame Baylor has forgotten another great from their family. One who had a great NFL career, Mike Singletary.

93. houndofthebaskervols says: Sep 1, 2014 1:59 AM

Beyond stupid.

94. uglydingo says: Sep 1, 2014 3:24 AM

RG3 got his statue before Tim Tebow and Johnny Football. Huh??? Beware of casting images of false football gods.

95. 700levelvet says: Sep 1, 2014 3:57 AM

Did Baylor win a national championship ? I forget

96. nyneal says: Sep 1, 2014 4:10 AM

I wonder if any graduates of Baylor have been killed or maimed fighting for this country in the military?
    If so, they are the ones who deserve a statue on that campus.

97. alonestartexan says: Sep 1, 2014 6:19 AM

At least Tebow won a National Championship, Baylor didn’t even win a Big 12 title with RG3 under center..

98. wizskinz says: Sep 1, 2014 7:06 AM

Wow! Opinions are like “well, you no” everyone has one. You guys need a life! RG3 has proven to be a talent to warrant the opportunities he has received. He has made mistakes as most people his age tend to do. He doesn’t deserve the hate. God doesn’t like hate!

99. bmore44 says: Sep 1, 2014 8:01 AM

And why ?

100. thelastwordyaheard says: Sep 1, 2014 8:05 AM

not an RGIII fan, but Florida has 3 bronze statues of Heisman trophy winning QBs out in front of their stadium & all 3 were NFL busts.. it’s not that unusual for schools to honor great college players for their college careers.. has zero to do with what he has or will do in the NFL

101. gpete1962 says: Sep 1, 2014 8:06 AM

I just cancelled my vacation to the four seasons at Nevis and booked a trip to Baylor.

Just think, I’ve seen the Lincoln memorial, Statue of that Broad and now this! I’m so excited!!!!!

102. skinsgal4life says: Sep 1, 2014 8:19 AM

The sad reality is that athletes really are put on a pedestal. It has been going on since the first race or boxing match thousands of years ago–and this attitude toward athletes will not end as long as the human race survives. Baylor has the right to erect a stature to RGIII. It is up to the rest of us to join in with the athlete hero-worship–or not. Of course, I’d rather see Robert do well on my Redskins. That certainly doesn’t mean his accomplishments at Baylor need to be forgotten. Obviously, Baylor is doing its best to ensure that doesn’t happen.

103. petehemlock says: Sep 1, 2014 8:20 AM

It doesn’t look like RG3. The head is way too small.

104. floratiotime says: Sep 1, 2014 8:50 AM

A bust would be more appropriate.

105. sidepull says: Sep 1, 2014 9:01 AM

If they can erect a statue to a murderer in Baltimore, well then, nothing I see these idiot fans do will surprise me. Just another roost for pigeons.

106. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 1, 2014 9:24 AM

Make the knee out of glass!

107. omnipresentfan says: Sep 1, 2014 9:39 AM

Look guys, in defense of RGIII,

He is, you know, a uhm….
    I can honestly say that he…
    In the preseason, he showed some pois….
    I mean, they guy is very humb…
    OK, I got nothin…

Damn you RGIII! you make it impossible to find one damn thing to defend you with!

108. nflpoker says: Sep 1, 2014 9:41 AM

When he blows out his other knee this season, will they take the statue down or attach a couple of crutches to it???

109. rg3andthensome says: Sep 1, 2014 10:12 AM

Is the statue of him getting completely laid out by a statue twice the size of his?

110. rosstuckershair says: Sep 1, 2014 10:14 AM

I have NO idea why everyone is upset. This is the perfect statue..it really is. It illustrates the perfect mechanics that Robert demonstrates on the field. Legs parallel and not pushing off the back foot. If the statue could throw, you can bet on an under thrown duck.

The big mystery is how soon a Cowboy fan goes to the drug store and buys a knee brace to slap on the statue when no one is looking…Now that would be a PFT story…

111. 2difshoe says: Sep 1, 2014 10:38 AM

Is that RG3 holding a $ 5 , $5 dolla, $ 5 dolla foot long in his right hand?

112. winninaintsinnin says: Sep 1, 2014 10:40 AM

Damn, had my vacation plans narrowed to NY or Wash. DC. Now I have to throw in Waco.

113. sasserdm says: Sep 1, 2014 11:20 AM

i guess they did it now cuz they know his career is pretty much over, huh

114. courtjester1234 says: Sep 1, 2014 12:11 PM

um, would anyone be upset if I asked for a Nick Foles statue to be built? he had an awesome year last year and I think he just might be ok this year too. should I go to Kickstart?

115. mdpgc says: Sep 1, 2014 12:22 PM

The statue was erected for his college football accomplishments i.e. the Heisman Trophy. The first player from Baylor to win the Heisman. Nothing to do with his accomplishments in the NFL. Don’t confuse the two people….BTW stop the hate people, its so unbecoming of you as a person!

HTTR

116. walkinginthewasteland says: Sep 2, 2014 9:47 AM

Why did they put a small head on the statue? Its way too small.