Vikings claim MarQueis Gray, Mike Harris off waivers

Kyle Van Noy, MarQueis Gray AP

It didn’t take long for the Vikings’s initial 53-man roster to become obsolete.

Tom Pelissero of USA Today reports that the Vikings have claimed a pair of players off waivers on Sunday. Tight end/fullback MarQueis Gray, who was waived by the Browns, and tackle Mike Harris, who was waived by the Chargers, are both headed to Minnesota.

Gray, who confirmed the report on Twitter, had six carries and two catches in 12 games for Cleveland last season and had six catches and a fumble in the preseason before being cut. The Vikings kept two fullbacks and two tight end on their initial roster.

It’s a return to familiar surroundings for Gray, who played quarterback and wide receiver at the University of Minnesota.

Harris started nine times over the last two seasons in San Diego and should be in the swing tackle mix for the Vikings, who kept only Austin Wentworth at tackle behind Matt Kalil and Phil Loadholt. No corresponding moves have been reported or announced at this point.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Vikings claim MarQueis Gray, Mike Harris off waivers”
  1. guitarfreak21 says: Aug 31, 2014 1:18 PM

I hope Gray works out… I always love keeping UofM guys in the state.

2. conormacleod says: Aug 31, 2014 1:22 PM

Strange. TE Reisner was cut, and he caught 3 TD’s in preseason and looked pretty good.

3. In Teddy We Trust says: Aug 31, 2014 1:22 PM

I’m glad they picked up a tackle with some starting experience. Austin Wentworth (sounds like he comes from old money) wasn’t making me feel too good about the depth behind Kalil and Loadholt.

Nice to see Marqueis back in town, too. Great athlete and a good guy.

4. pervyspankspackfans says: Aug 31, 2014 1:35 PM

Maybe Norv ( who worked with Gray) in Cleveland last season knew he was going to be available? Thus cutting Reisner. Lot of upside to Gray, he is an athletic freak for sure…

5. purpleguy says: Aug 31, 2014 2:20 PM

Wentworth and Line likely to the practice squad.

6. sonofad says: Aug 31, 2014 2:20 PM

Picking through other teams trash is how the incompetent Rick Spielman recently gave birth to 3-13.

He was already fired once in Miami for incompetence.

7. The Almighty Cabbage says: Aug 31, 2014 2:43 PM

sonofad says:
    Aug 31, 2014 2:20 PM

He was already fired once in Miami for incompetence.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apparently you haven’t been paying attention.

THE ALMIGHTY MINNESOTA VIKINGS ARE THE GREATEST TEAM IN THE NFL…

…for 4 more days. Then they will comfortably assume their regular, and rightful, place at the bottom of the barrel.

SKOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. 1973to1991packerssuckedbigtime says: Aug 31, 2014 3:00 PM

I hope this makes the cut. Not sure why my posts are not showing up.

I liked Gray at U of M. Hope he does well.

9. whatjusthapped says: Aug 31, 2014 3:11 PM

The only surprise is that Spielman didn’t pick thru the trash of the Packers that were cut. They cut a safety and CB that could start for the Vikings and being ex Packers, that usually gaurantees that the Vikings will sign them.

I guess the Vikings will try to finish in last place with other than ex Packers this time around. Can’t hurt to try because the other strategy was failing anyway.

10. banky74 says: Aug 31, 2014 3:36 PM

whatjusthapped says: Aug 31, 2014 3:11 PM

================

I’m not a fan of either team, but my read on things has always been that it’s usually very good players for the Packers (ie. Jennings, Favre, Sharper) that get sick of living in the 3rd world and then make a mad dash for civilization to the west when their contract runs out.

11. franfoley says: Aug 31, 2014 3:48 PM

So they picked up a guy from Cleveland and San Diego – I’m starting to think Norv is running the show over there….

12. pervyspankspackfans says: Aug 31, 2014 3:54 PM

@ banky74…..You are 100% spot on. I’m sure you could easily tell by the low IQ posts by Packer trolls and their 2nd grade attempts at humor. Their smack is weak but inbreeding is quit a plague in Packer Land. The Sulfuric Acid Bucket Challenge would be a good start to fixing it there…

13. banky74 says: Aug 31, 2014 4:18 PM

@pervyspankspackfans

My team isn’t in the NFC North so I don’t have a dog in this fight.. But I travel a lot for work, including to all four states/metropolitan areas for the NFC North teams.

I realize this is purely anecdotal, but I’ve yet to have an intelligent conversation with a Packer fan when visiting Wisconsin. They’re obsessed with their team to the point of psychological impairment. I can only assume that’s it’s at least partly because there’s nothing else going on in that state. Every year is the year they’re going 16-0 and they’re freaking OBSESSED with the Vikings. I can’t tell you how many conversations with Pack fans that I’ve had where they spend half of it railing on the Vikings and their fans but then always make a point of telling you that the Bears are their biggest rivals. Ooookay.

Bears, Vikings and Lion fans, I’ve had numerous fun, intelligent and “normal” conversations with people from all three of those cities when traveling there for work. By and large, my experience has been that all three are smart football towns with passionate but mentally balanced fans.

The Packers fans just seem to be a (in)breed apart.

14. bobnelsonjr says: Aug 31, 2014 7:57 PM

When you have won only 24 games in 4 years it is desperation time and start looking anywhere to improve the talent level.

15. fmc651 says: Aug 31, 2014 10:18 PM

Banky74 you are pretty much dead on with regards to packer fans. They are cult like in their following.Fans of the jersey only.As soon as a player leaves the pack he sucks. Or he wasn’t that good to begin with. Favre,Sharper Longwell all had pro bowl season in Mn. But to packer fans they were washed up. A case of MN picking GB garbage.

16. fmc651 says: Aug 31, 2014 10:25 PM

Glad to see Gray back in Minneapolis. He played hard for the U. He must have shown Norv something in Cleveland too. Welcome back Marqueis.

17. adriansbabymommainwisco says: Sep 2, 2014 12:24 AM

Packers are in trouble now…he beat the badgers how many times?