Brian Waters announces his retirement

Waters Getty Images

Brian Waters had a lengthy and impressive career in the NFL.  That career is now officially over.

“After a long and wonderful career I have decided to retire,” Waters said in a statement.  “I want to thank the coaches, players and fans of the three great organizations that I had the pleasure of working for.  First the Dallas Cowboys for giving me my first and last chance of working in the NFL.  I will always be grateful.  Also the New England Patriots for the most successful season in my career.  It was a great ride.  Lastly the Kansas City Chiefs where I had pleasure of enjoying eleven wonderful seasons, which I will never forget.

“I want to thank the many family, friends and my hometown of Waxahachie, Texas for being great supporters. Finally I want to thank my kids for being my greatest motivations. I fought hard daily to make you proud me. If the rest of my life can be half as good as the last 15 years, I will be one of the luckiest people on earth.”

Waters spent 11 seasons with the Chiefs, one with the Patriots, and a final year with the Cowboys.  In 2012, Waters didn’t play.

A six-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro, Waters was the 2009 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year.  In time, he could gather momentum as a potential candidate for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Brian Waters announces his retirement”
  1. fantasyfootballwinner.me says: Sep 2, 2014 2:44 PM

yeah the Chiefs fans liked you a lot until you thanked us last… turd…

2. p8riotdynastylives says: Sep 2, 2014 2:52 PM

solid player but solid players with HOF potential dont take years off……….not Hall worthy

3. cromags says: Sep 2, 2014 3:01 PM

This dude has retired more times than Favre.

4. patsfan says: Sep 2, 2014 3:18 PM

Class guy.

5. riverhorsey says: Sep 2, 2014 3:19 PM

Still wonder why he didn’t go back to NE that 2nd year.

6. jjackwagon says: Sep 2, 2014 3:24 PM

Definitely a probowler in his prime.
    Got old and didn’t want to attend training camp. Then couldn’t stay in shape.
    Then only wanted to play for a team close to home.
    You don’t get to make those kind of demands when your skills sets are dropping off.

7. kcflake says: Sep 2, 2014 3:25 PM

Lots of great Years as a Chief and then left in a disrespectful way. Kinda flushed all the good years down the drain.

8. gerard33 says: Sep 2, 2014 3:40 PM

No ill will from this Chiefs fan.

Think about the Chiefs o-line back then: Willie Roaf/ Brian Waters/ Casey Wiegmann/ Will Shields/ John Tait. 3 possible HOFers and only one guy (Tait) never made the Pro Bowl.

9. Brandon in Northwest Suburbia says: Sep 2, 2014 3:46 PM

Dominant Guard for 8 or 9 consecutive seasons. Rarely missed time with injuries. If he had retired in 2011 at age 34 he’d be in the discussion for HOF.

I don’t see his 2012 dispute with the Pats or his injury shortened age 37 season with the Cowboys as changing that.

10. afcdomination says: Sep 2, 2014 3:49 PM

we can’t even get will shields into the HOF. seriously, Brian Waters? he would be in the hall of “very good”.

Shields was one of the best OL in the history of the league. his penalty totals are absolutely jaw dropping. Brian Waters is a very nice guard who had a heck of a career for a UDFA that got cut by his first team, but he is not a hall of fame player, Shields however, is.

11. kc571 says: Sep 2, 2014 3:59 PM

I think he felt disrespected when Haley didn’t come to visit him personally. After that, it was down hill for him and KC. All in all, a very good player. Gave KC his best years. Good luck mvg fwd!

12. grogantomorgan says: Sep 2, 2014 4:01 PM

Great career except for the stain of a 1 year holdout …. just saying

13. Brandon in Northwest Suburbia says: Sep 2, 2014 4:05 PM

You are right about Will Shields. I certainly would have had him in over Aeneas Williams if I were voting.

Guards in general are underrepresented in the HOF and always have been. Can’t understand why Jerry Kramer still isn’t in.

But that might be changing. Hopefully Shields gets in next year (made top 10 this year). Larry Allen got in. I think Steve Hutchinson will get in on the first ballot. That potentially would be 3 in 5 years….maybe the profile of the position is rising.

14. skawh says: Sep 2, 2014 4:07 PM

it always cracks me up how those who’ve never played an NFL down, want to sound like an authority and criticize those that have. Unbelievable.

Good luck to you in retirement man!

15. bronco65 says: Sep 2, 2014 5:13 PM

You had a long career for a lineman, Brian. Wishing you the best as a retiree. You won’t make much $, but you’ll be greatly rewarded being there for your kids.

16. TheWizard says: Sep 2, 2014 5:27 PM

Also the New England Patriots for the most successful season in my caree

Hear that, trolls?

17. rawdog2013 says: Sep 2, 2014 5:37 PM

He thanked KC last because he never won in KC. No one has.

18. blogatron2000 says: Sep 2, 2014 8:58 PM

Brian Waters has always been a class act. The O-line he was a part of in the Priest Holmes days in KC was something really special to watch. Nothing will ever diminish that.

Thanks for your contributions to the game and the best of luck to you in retirement.

19. pukinbuzzard says: Sep 3, 2014 10:15 AM

Most people when thanking do leave their best for last, why do Chiefs fans feel disrespected. I truly just want to know why the feelings are such that they feel disrespected for being last in line when he clearly said more in regard to the franchise than any other.