Irsay is “firmly committed” to staying healthy

Irsay Getty Images

In response to his six-game suspension and $500,000 fine, Colts owner Jim Irsay has issued a statement in which he admits his error and reiterates his hope that the disease of addiction will be taken more seriously moving forward.

“I acknowledge the mistake I made last March and stand responsible for the consequences of that mistake, for which I sincerely apologize to our community and to Colts fans everywhere,” Irsay said regarding his guilty plea to DUI on Tuesday.  “Even more importantly, though, I am committed to do everything in my power to turn this whole experience into a positive event for myself, my family, and the community.

“In retrospect, I now know that the incident opened my eyes to issues in my life that needed addressing and helped put me on the path to regain my health.  I truly hope and pray that my episode will help in some small measure to diminish the stigma surrounding our country’s terrible and deadly problem of addiction.  It is a disease like other progressive, terminal diseases — one that can only be successfully treated by understanding, committed hard work, and spiritual growth.  I am deeply grateful for the tremendous outpouring of love and support during these past few months from my family, friends, care-givers, and our great community.  Please know I am firmly committed to staying on my path to good health and I look forward to a great season.”

We wish Irsay the best as he continues to attempt to regain his health.  And we hope the NFL takes Irsay’s words to heart as it relates not only to persons with addictions who create public-safety hazards, but also to persons with addictions who don’t.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Irsay is “firmly committed” to staying healthy”
  1. whatnojets says: Sep 2, 2014 3:24 PM

Hogwash…he will be hitting the bottle and spewing Twitters right after the first game this upcoming weekend!

2. thestrategyexpert says: Sep 2, 2014 3:25 PM

If he could be competitive enough to accomplish what he has up until the point of that mistake, then I like his chances of applying the same dedication to this new challenge to fight out a victorious result. A lot of people have seemed to be underestimating him lately, but if he can win at that which he is now focused on, then all of those people should be able to win their own life battles as well, and then the doubters can thank him for showing them how that is done.

3. logicalvoicesays says: Sep 2, 2014 3:27 PM

The most obvious sign that he was a junkie was when he drafted Andrew Luck over Robert Griffin the 3rd.

4. clownsfan says: Sep 2, 2014 3:28 PM

This spoiled punk has never been committed to anything in his life. Arrested again within 6 mos. Book it.

5. mkar1835 says: Sep 2, 2014 3:30 PM

So he has a disease and not a weakness.

Glad he cleared that up.

6. scoops1 says: Sep 2, 2014 3:32 PM

And Aldon Smith is firmly committed to staying Sober…

7. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 2, 2014 3:33 PM

You’re a billionaire too cheap to have your own limo and driver. Why anyone with that much money ever drives themselves unless its to enjoy their Ferrari or Lamborghini is a mystery to me.

Should have gotten jail time.

8. Indybear says: Sep 2, 2014 3:35 PM

Committed? He should be. The city has had about enough of this fool and I hope the League has, too. The only thing this liar and blowhard could fully commit to would be the continuance of his narcissistic behavior.

9. skawh says: Sep 2, 2014 3:36 PM

so says every addict in recovery. Recovery requires a daily and lifetime commitment. Good luck in yours.

10. mataug says: Sep 2, 2014 3:37 PM

You really don’t know what to make out of an addict’s words. You know they know they are messed up, they will say a few words apologizing & promising to clean up and 6 months later, it is another reboot.
    If he’s genuine about cleaning up, maybe he can help raise public awareness about it similar to how Brandon Marshall did for his disorder.

11. beardinals says: Sep 2, 2014 3:40 PM

I’m not a fan of his, but maybe more people should be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he gives a reason no to.

12. gojags says: Sep 2, 2014 3:40 PM

He needs 2 1/2 brief cases to pay of the fine.

13. indymarc says: Sep 2, 2014 3:43 PM

What percentage is $500,000 of his wealth?
    It would be like me paying about $20 to get off the hook.

14. omnipresentfan says: Sep 2, 2014 3:46 PM

‘Irsay is “firmly committed” to staying healthy’, Great for him, the first thing is admit you have a problem, something we’ll never hear in Washington DC.

Damn you RGIII!!

15. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 2, 2014 3:49 PM

Which beats being “firmly committed” to a public instituion of long term incarceration.

16. ermi0101 says: Sep 2, 2014 3:52 PM

Slap on the wrist.

Doesn’t appear as though owners get held to a higher standard.
    you don’t punish a billionare who carries around 30K cash daily with a 500K fine. SO he has to leave the briefcase at home for less time then he will be suspended. Oh, and BTW… he will make much much more from the team during those 6 games.

17. all4patriots says: Sep 2, 2014 3:54 PM

He’s firmly committed to not getting caught again.

18. numberoneinthehoodg says: Sep 2, 2014 4:06 PM

It’s not a disease, it’s an addiction. When he accepts that, he can get better. I wish him the best. I hope he beats this. He’s human. We all make mistakes. He’s only hurting himself, his family, and his other loved ones. Get your stuff straight.

19. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Sep 2, 2014 4:11 PM

Saying your committed to staying heatlhy and committing to a recovery program are two completely different universes.

You’ll know if Irsay is loaded by folling him on Twitter. He tweets out bizarre messages when he’s on the sweet nectar

20. datageek94 says: Sep 2, 2014 4:11 PM

Oh the level of hate for Irsay. It is shocking to me. Owner ≠ Player, Personal Conduct versus, First Offense…..
    To me, the 6 games is way too much. No player gets 6 game suspension for first offense on PC policy. And $500K is a large fine.
    And yet, it’s not enough for so many of you.
    Unbelievable.

21. charger383 says: Sep 2, 2014 4:21 PM

Goodell should have ordered Irsay to be at Colts practice field every day for a supervised workout, to keep him healthy

22. illiniftw says: Sep 2, 2014 4:22 PM

So much negativity! Yes he was born rich. Yes he was probably spoiled horribly his entire life. That doesn’t mean he hasn’t faced any hardships in his life. I’m sure it’s not easy to tell yourself no when nobody did growing up. This is no doubt the hardest thing he has faced in his life and like most addicts some screw ups are expected. Good luck Mr. Irsay! This is from a Bears fan who hates the Colts for winning the only super bowl I remember and I’m 30 now…

23. tennesseeoilers says: Sep 2, 2014 4:32 PM

This guy used to irritate me to no end. … But you know what? I’m pulling for him. If he’s being genuine, and bottoming out really has led him to own up to who he really is and how messed up he really is, then I hope he learns to live in clarity and humility free from addictions. Even with his mind handicapped by his abuse, he was still one of the most forward-moving owners in the NFL. Living a healthy life could result in him becoming outright elite.

- Titans Fan

24. jimmysee says: Sep 2, 2014 4:35 PM

He’s obviously recovered.

He took the Hollywood Cure.

25. donz0 says: Sep 2, 2014 4:40 PM

He will undergo drug testing during his probation (2 years). should be interesting.

26. greengoldandbold says: Sep 2, 2014 4:41 PM

Packer fan here, I’m good with the penalty. It’s very close to the 8 game suspension / $500K I said would be appropriate. I wonder if he has to submit to testing for drug use ??
    He should be !

27. atthemurph says: Sep 2, 2014 4:55 PM

Packers owners everywhere are now rethinking that stock purchase as we are all subject to the NFL owners rules and punishments!

28. kerzondax says: Sep 2, 2014 5:09 PM

Well, while I’ll believe it after I see it …

Best of luck.

29. taosravenfan says: Sep 2, 2014 5:35 PM

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. He is his father’s son. He has been empowered for years because of his money. Unlike many of the people here, I really don’t wish him well. I know full well about addiction. The people I feel for are the poor and hopeless who don’t have multimillion dollar lawyers and are caught in the vise of addiction and poverty and the vicious cycle that they create. Jimmy Irsay??? Not so much. He’s got to want to get clean. He needs to suck it up and go thru detox like those who have been there. He’s got to want to care. Until he does all of his words are wind, written by some PR person to make this loser sound like he is contrite.

30. macbull says: Sep 2, 2014 5:57 PM

Josh Gordon got a year for being 1 freaking nanogram/ml over the limit and 1.4 nanograms BELOW THE LIMIT…AND HE GOT A FREAKING YEAR, WITHOUT PAY.

But if your an owner driving around drunk as hell on hydrocodine and oxycodine, with a suitcase full of drugs and 29k in case, the NFL puts a limit on how much these BILLIONAIRES can be fined AND Irsay is only suspended for 6 games.

If Goodell was going to send a message that the NFL owners are not above the law, the penalty would have been what Gordon’s penalty was…no more, but no less.

Keep in mind, Gordon was 1.0 nanograms above the NFL limit (and 1.4 ng/ml below the limit of 15.0 ng/ml at a time when the NFL acknowledges the need to update their standard to be more in line with modern limits for marijuana…limits such as those our military established as well as the limits of Major League Baseball, of 50 ng/ml…as well as the limit for the Olympics of 150 ng/ml.

Irsay got a slap on the wrist compared to Goodell’s punishment for Josh Gordon. Keep in mind, when the NFL updates their outdated marijuana standard to the limit established by the U.S. Military, MLB and the IOC, Gordon’s 16.0 ng/ml would have been well below the limit…

31. tsuscrumhalf says: Sep 2, 2014 6:05 PM

Anyone old enough to have been a fan of the BALTIMORE Colts will wish no good luck on anyone named Irsay unless & until he changes the team name. He is a greedy SOB who refused to let Bmore have the name back…. Hope he is forced to sell the team next time!

32. george1859 says: Sep 2, 2014 6:31 PM

..a disease.
    What an easy cop out…..

It’s a choice people..

33. mogogo1 says: Sep 2, 2014 6:32 PM

The photos I’ve seen lately seem to suggest he’s making some progress. He doesn’t look as scary-thin as he did when he got arrested. I wish him the best. If he really wants to make things better for others, a public service campaign by the NFL with him as the front man would go a long ways to that goal.

34. 6ball says: Sep 2, 2014 7:32 PM

Once you read the lawyer’s statement that includes the word “responsibility” , America views you as a victim. Hollywood types have run this play for years.

35. colv says: Sep 2, 2014 8:27 PM

Nice words about how he has seen the light from his misadventure written by his attorney. Irsay make it. Out that this was the first time he was intoxicated, drugged up and going out with 20k plus to buy more drugs when he got caught. I bet he has driven hundreds of times DUI and could have killed someone. Irsay owns the community and this time something or an honest cop did the right thing and did not bow down and kiss Irsay’s only SB ring and did his job.

36. jayhawk6 says: Sep 2, 2014 9:46 PM

How about he commits to acting like an adult?

37. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Sep 2, 2014 10:41 PM

Rich guy problems…

38. charger383 says: Sep 2, 2014 11:21 PM

I wonder how this story might have played out if he had run off the road and somebody other than the police had found him and all that cash, he is lucky to be alive