Tom Brady on Wes Welker suspension: “This is not friend time”

Tom Brady, Wes Welker AP

Tom Brady used to play with Wes Welker. Tom Brady was at the Kentucky Derby too, when something happened to Welker to trigger a four-game suspension.

But good luck getting much out of Brady on the topic today.

“I don’t have a lot of thoughts or comments on that,” Brady said, via Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald. “That’s Wes’ situation, and their team. Obviously, I’ve got plenty to worry about with this week and this team. As a friend, you always hope the best. But, this is not friend time. It’s opponent time. My focus is on the Dolphins.”

Brady was also asked if he saw Welker take anything while there that might have led to the problems. He laughed, then said: “I got no comment on that, no.”

We know that Brady’s capable of having an emotional reaction regarding a former teammate, but it’s no surprise he did everything he could to stay out of this one.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “Tom Brady on Wes Welker suspension: “This is not friend time””
  1. h0nkeyshavenolips says: Sep 3, 2014 2:27 PM

using a harmless party drug = suspension

retaliate when spit on and punched by a female = suspension

dunking after a TD = fine

smoking something that’s legalized in CO = suspension

I just don’t get this society anymore.

2. pedmeg says: Sep 3, 2014 2:27 PM

Que up the interweb trolls from their parents basements to turn this into one or more of the following:

A) References to spygate
    B) How Brady gave Welker Molly
    C) Calling the NE coach “Belicheat”

Envy breeds and feeds trolls – great stuff – I am going to get my popcorn.

3. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 3, 2014 2:29 PM

Figures it was someone from the Herald that asked him this, Boston’s media equivalent of a kindergarden.

4. infectorman says: Sep 3, 2014 2:33 PM

In the summer of 1989, Tom was seated on the pot doing his business, and much to his chagrin, realized there was no TP left on the roll.

We oughtta make sure the world knows about that story too.

5. dreadpiratesteve says: Sep 3, 2014 2:35 PM

Belicheat and Brady were dropping Molly w/ Welker in Belicheat’s mom’s basement while watching secret recorded tape of the Pats v Broncos game.

You’re welcome pedmeg.

6. thetruthcampaign says: Sep 3, 2014 2:40 PM

That’s actually a great response. I have to remember that. Until you suck, keep giving the truth.

7. jducky68 says: Sep 3, 2014 2:41 PM

Noone knew what a “WELKER” was before Brady made him a household name…. Now “Welker” is making his own name for himself…..”WHATS A MOLLY”???

8. tebowbrokesteelers says: Sep 3, 2014 2:45 PM

I enjoy Brady putting up boat loads of points when he plays the Steelers!

9. Eli Pacheco says: Sep 3, 2014 2:46 PM

This is not friend time. Thanks, Tommy.

10. itsfootballbaby says: Sep 3, 2014 2:48 PM

Dead Pirate = funny

11. marvsleezy says: Sep 3, 2014 2:50 PM

A friends character is being assassinated and so is his integrity. He could use someone who knows him well to lend a harmless few words of support.

Brady: this is not friend time. I have a game to play in a week against an inferior opponent and it would be a distraction for my team if I say one positive word about my friends character when he needs it most.

12. smackingfools says: Sep 3, 2014 2:58 PM

Miami is gonna win.

13. spreth1 says: Sep 3, 2014 2:59 PM

marvsleezy says: Sep 3, 2014 2:50 PM

—————————————————————-
    I wish the world worked the way you suggest, I really do. But it’s 2014 – it’s time to wake up.

14. onlysane1intheroom says: Sep 3, 2014 3:00 PM

Why don’t they ask some of Welker’s present teammates. Like, oh, I don’t know, Manning?

15. edelmanfanclub says: Sep 3, 2014 3:00 PM

Don’t see why they are trying to drag Tom into something completely unrelated to him.

16. doctormantistoboggan says: Sep 3, 2014 3:00 PM

A) Spygate

B) Brady gave Welker Molly

C) “Belicheat”

17. unclebluck says: Sep 3, 2014 3:06 PM

Other than the Patriots fans ….is there anyone else out there that cant wait for Brady to retire so we don’t have listen to his smug, self serving comments anymore……

18. thestrategyexpert says: Sep 3, 2014 3:08 PM

Tom Brady sounds like he’s getting really focused and fired up, kinda like the yin to Belichick’s yang. I would have picked the Broncos to win the conference just 2 days ago without much thought, but I’m not betting against this guy right now!

19. 6ball says: Sep 3, 2014 3:08 PM

A player interjecting himself into league affairs which involve other players on other teams does not often end well. Should he be commenting on Manziel, Sam, Rice, Smith, and Gordon also?

20. tomtravis76 says: Sep 3, 2014 3:08 PM

New England got real damn lucky with Brady. There is not one fan of football who wouldn’t trade their QB for Brady or wished they would have had him since the turn of the century behind center.

21. ampats says: Sep 3, 2014 3:17 PM

.. is there anyone else out there that can’t wait for Brady to retire …………..

You are right as fans of the other 31 teams would love to not continue to be beat by Brady and the Pats.

22. frostymugobeer says: Sep 3, 2014 3:17 PM

yeah…he has enough to worry about this week….like will the league test him for the same thing since they were hangin’ out together that day…..lol

23. justreal82 says: Sep 3, 2014 3:19 PM

Did this person really say “harmless party drug”? If it was indeed a “molly” yes Welker could of died. You’d figure people who sit on these blogs would simply google such things before hitting enter or submit.

24. purpleguy says: Sep 3, 2014 3:28 PM

I bet Giselle made him say that.

25. phinfan says: Sep 3, 2014 3:43 PM

Guilty – lock him up before sunday

26. williamshatnerstoupee says: Sep 3, 2014 3:45 PM

When Brady retires, Patriot fans will cease to exist. They’ve only been around since 2001.

27. indymarc says: Sep 3, 2014 3:46 PM

No doubt that Tommy slipped a Molly into Welker’s drink.

28. therealpockets says: Sep 3, 2014 4:41 PM

———————————————–
    Clearly Brady is the reason why the Pats have sold out every home game since Jan 2, 1994…

29. pondbridge says: Sep 4, 2014 5:02 AM

Translation: ‘He was wacked out of his mind at the Derby, but I don’t throw my friends under the bus.’

30. C Moran says: Sep 4, 2014 4:41 PM

“This is not friend time.”

Dude, have we all forgotten the sassy red pants and Ed Grimley/Tin-Tin ‘hawk T-Braid was sportin’?? I think it’s quite obvious everyone involved was completely wrecked on Molly-mint-juleps, and Tom would rather not draw attention to that.

31. coltscamp says: Sep 4, 2014 8:25 PM

“There is not one fan of football who wouldn’t trade their QB for Brady or wished they would have had him since the turn of the century behind center.”

Colts fans all disagree with your statement. Peyton is the better QB, and we’re all quite happy to have Andrew Luck instead of Tom Brady.

32. 20trillion says: Sep 4, 2014 9:29 PM

Looks like bad karma for poor Tommie, dis an old friend and oops, pop goes your calf muscle, maybe Billy can rub it for him, boo hoo

33. n0hopeleft says: Sep 5, 2014 7:21 AM

I don’t care when Brady retires, because the Giants OWN him when it matters.