Wes Welker wonders if someone spiked his drink at Derby

Wes Welker AP

Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker is angry at the NFL’s drug-testing policies.

And he’s angry at the early reports that his failed test for amphetamines stemmed from taking MDMA (or Molly) which had been cut with amphetamines.

A source close to the situation told Mike Klis of the Denver Post that Welker tested positive for Adderall. (We stand by our initial report.)

Welker said he wasn’t sure what specifically caused the failed test, but was angry at the report he took a Molly and wondered if someone slipped something into his drink while at the Kentucky Derby.

I wouldn’t have any idea where to get a Molly or what a Molly is,” Welker said. “That’s a joke. I don’t do marijuana, I don’t do drugs. I don’t do any drugs.”

He apparently did something, or someone did something nefarious to him to make it appear that he does.

Welker’s protected by the league’s confidentiality rules, so he can say anything he wants, and they’re not going to refute it.

Permalink 115 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
115 Responses to “Wes Welker wonders if someone spiked his drink at Derby”
  1. joetoronto says: Sep 3, 2014 7:55 AM

If he honestly expects us to believe him, than he really is a donkey.

2. sdnative1904 says: Sep 3, 2014 7:57 AM

If someone slipped him Molly he’d know. If it was Adderall maybe not.

3. ctiggs says: Sep 3, 2014 7:57 AM

ahhhh the old spiked my drink trick, sure wes, most guys are not spiking another guys drink. #Nobodyhasitbetter

4. charliebatch1 says: Sep 3, 2014 7:58 AM

“I’m freakin out mannnnn”

5. denverdude7 says: Sep 3, 2014 7:58 AM

You know, thinking back on the Kentucky Derby… Tom Brady was there and we all know about the Patriots history of cheating… I have to wonder if … Nah, couldn’t be. Could it?

6. patriots87 says: Sep 3, 2014 7:58 AM

sigh.no drugs huh? no breswki’s? alcohol IS a drug people.

7. scothawk says: Sep 3, 2014 7:59 AM

What a brilliant and original defence. Who can argue against that?

And given his concussion history he can easily claim not to remember who spiked it.

Can’t see any way this is not over turned on appeal………….

8. wtfru2 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:01 AM

You do something nefarious to us every day! LOL.

9. pencilmonkeymagic says: Sep 3, 2014 8:03 AM

So it was MDMA, then it was MDMA cut with speed. Now it’s Adderall. Got it.

Good thing the NFL has a confidentiality rule, huh? Seems like every hack out there gets a free pass round that rule.

10. grogantomorgan says: Sep 3, 2014 8:11 AM

Probably took something so he would be able to get better focus due to his concussion.

Too bad, I think he still has something in the tank, just needs a QB that will protect him from getting crunched.

Just Saying

11. sb44champs says: Sep 3, 2014 8:11 AM

Yeah, someone did spike his drink…. His name is Wes Welker…

12. tedmurph says: Sep 3, 2014 8:14 AM

Rex Ryan. Payback for the foot jokes.

13. buccan33rz1976 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:18 AM

Ban him for a year! Ruin his life roger Hitler! It’s only fair!

14. illogic87 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:18 AM

Oddly, I find myself believing him.

15. eagleswin says: Sep 3, 2014 8:21 AM

He may be telling the truth or may not. There’s no way we will ever know.

One problem he has with public perception is that the number of athletes who have been proven to straight out lie is legion. If caught in one lie they tend to compound their problems with another lie. The ones who have been exonerated are very very few.

16. frenchysgoldfish says: Sep 3, 2014 8:21 AM

maybe he forgot.

17. proudchowdahead13 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:23 AM

It’s never the athlete’s fault.

18. 6ball says: Sep 3, 2014 8:25 AM

Quoting McBeth

“The lady doth protest too much ”

19. bostonian13 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:30 AM

Man, if this dude was still a Patriot this story and commenters will be having a field day. Along with most writers. But since he’s employed by Elway, teammates with Peyton and plays in Denver, just seems so ehhhhh.

If anything, this team seems to get busted for things every other month. Let’s talk about that.

20. sdelmonte says: Sep 3, 2014 8:30 AM

Every other sport, if you test positive for something, the fans learn what it was. The NFL hides behind HIPAA and the CBA. Hard to feel good about that, even if, yes, the players are legally entitled to privacy in non-criminal cases.

21. brobroski says: Sep 3, 2014 8:30 AM

Is offseason drug testing mandatory for all players or just those who had a previous failed test?

22. uglydingo says: Sep 3, 2014 8:32 AM

Another player testing positive to adderall. Hmmm…..
    “Someone must have spiked my drink” – Yes Wes, that’s a better excuse than the dog ate my homework

23. RegisHawk says: Sep 3, 2014 8:35 AM

He’s still responsible.

24. kd75 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:38 AM

He looked pretty happy handing out $100 bills.

If he was tripping on extacy, he would have felt noticeably different.

25. kissbillsrings says: Sep 3, 2014 8:40 AM

Maybe it was Brady!!!
    Lol!!!

26. savocabol1 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:41 AM

Yeah I know I failed a drug test but I don’t do drugs.

27. derpadeederpjetsyjet says: Sep 3, 2014 8:41 AM

Oh Wes… blame it on the concussions

28. lflib69 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:44 AM

Take it like a man Wes. You got nabbed…unknowingly or not. Thought Sherman took the cake with his excuse but think you may have topped it.

29. dirtdawg54 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:50 AM

Sure they did Wes. Sure they did.

Since Molly is typically taken in pill form and is bitter when mixed with alcohol, pretty sure that didn’t happen. I think you’d also notice if you had taken it. It’s not like it doesn’t have an effect on you.

But yeah, let’s go with your story because not only does it defend your failed drug test, it also helps provide a defence as to why you had Molly in the first place because possession of it is a crime. Five grams+ can send you to jail for 5 to 40 years.

30. bucrightoff says: Sep 3, 2014 8:51 AM

And that someone was Von Miller.

31. jnbnet says: Sep 3, 2014 8:51 AM

Come on! Just man up.

32. Waffle 2.0 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:52 AM

Someone spiked my Coca Cola last weekend with rum and then it happened again and again and again and it caused me to go to White Castle late night. I don’t know who would do this to me. It seemed like every single time I had a glass of cold Coca Cola there was rum in it.
    I listened to good music with good friends and it’s all a a direct result of this nefarious action taken against me.I am as surprised about this as anyone.

33. str8up12 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:53 AM

That defense worked for Ben Johnson! Oh wait…………………………………………

34. jmblosser82 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:56 AM

Athletes seriously need to stop blaming everyone but themselves. I don’t believe all the guys do things knowingly but complaining about it makes it seem like they are guilty. Shut up, take your lumps, and be careful.

35. dissed215 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:56 AM

Hey Wes, Ray Lewis would like to know if your wife is going to use her Facebook account to post some bitter diatribe about your drug use?

36. floratiotime says: Sep 3, 2014 9:00 AM

I think space aliens spiked his drink. Or maybe Bigfoot.

37. Eutaw's Finest says: Sep 3, 2014 9:01 AM

Fantasy football makes people do some crazy things…

38. shayeezy says: Sep 3, 2014 9:03 AM

he “does” alcohol, which is a drug, and probably did some other stuff he doesn’t remember while under the influence. i’m not opposed to drinking and do plenty of it myself, but the nonchalant attitude most have towards it is disconcerting.

39. themeccalambeaufield says: Sep 3, 2014 9:03 AM

Again getting a 4 game means you were caught before. Does any player and I mean any one take responsibility for their actions? What has happened in America when it seems all everyone does is blame someone else for their stupidity?

40. wakaflockaflacco says: Sep 3, 2014 9:09 AM

Sure Wes. Now it makes perfect sense why you were handing out $100 bills to strangers.

41. pats1944 says: Sep 3, 2014 9:19 AM

Gisle probably did, all to get back at him for the infamous drop in 2011

42. itsnotforme says: Sep 3, 2014 9:21 AM

Right! You didn’t do it and it’s not your fault. I’ve got some prime land in the Florida swamp for sale that never gets wet to…..

43. Rick says: Sep 3, 2014 9:27 AM

Take some responsibility, Wes. We all know you are full of crap.

44. richcranium2112 says: Sep 3, 2014 9:27 AM

Well, I was following a carload of hipsters on my way to the derby and they were hitting bongs so I must’ve picked up some of that second hand smoke. That made me thirsty and someone laced my mint juleps with Molly but I was feeling no pain so I thought it was just great!

45. sabatimus says: Sep 3, 2014 9:27 AM

Oh enough already, Wes. Man up.

46. bonnovi says: Sep 3, 2014 9:29 AM

It was probably a jealous, vengeful Tom Brady.

47. qdog112 says: Sep 3, 2014 9:29 AM

He’s even starting to look like Lance Armstrong. Cue Nancy Kerrigan audio: “why me …”

48. firedog784 says: Sep 3, 2014 9:30 AM

And the dog ate my homework.

49. johnodocks says: Sep 3, 2014 9:31 AM

They slip mollies instead of mickeys in drinks now.

50. gopats23 says: Sep 3, 2014 9:31 AM

“I have no idea what Molly is, and I don’t do drugs!”

Umm, if you don’t know what it is, why the drug reference Wes?

51. buddysguys says: Sep 3, 2014 9:32 AM

it was prolly the clown that was with him when he was pictured tossing bills out out…

52. p8riotdynastylives says: Sep 3, 2014 9:33 AM

MAN UP……

53. Patskrieg dot com says: Sep 3, 2014 9:35 AM

If Mike Klis refutes your story definitely stand by it in full confidence.

Research and fact checking are both poison to Klis.

54. chris1cat says: Sep 3, 2014 9:36 AM

That’s why he was handing money away that day like it was toilet paper.

55. thetruthcampaign says: Sep 3, 2014 9:40 AM

Talib was sitting right behind him.

56. tyrobjenkins says: Sep 3, 2014 9:44 AM

Was he hanging out with Cee Lo?

57. troy43mvp says: Sep 3, 2014 9:44 AM

Yaaaaaa? Someone spiked my drink too. That’s it.

Signed,

Ryan Braun

58. geniusesq says: Sep 3, 2014 9:50 AM

I don’t pop Molly, I rock ….Clip Boards

59. onlysane1intheroom says: Sep 3, 2014 9:53 AM

All I remember reading was that Welker was out of his mind “drunk” at the Kentucky Derby.

60. aldavis4president says: Sep 3, 2014 9:57 AM

Hahahaha!! 😂😂

61. smackingfools says: Sep 3, 2014 9:59 AM

Don’t care for him but I believe him.

62. hairpie2 says: Sep 3, 2014 9:59 AM

Its amazing how players become cheaters and liars once they join this team. When will the media address the constant cheating to win SB’s by playing with illegal rosters, taping other teams practices, and ped’s?

63. steelerben says: Sep 3, 2014 10:16 AM

I’m not sure just how drunk you would need to be to not notice that you were rolling on MDMA cut with speed, but if he *was* slipped a Molly and he *was* drunk enough not to notice, then he needs to be thinking about some time in a rehab center for alcohol abuse.

If he *did* notice that he was drugged, he went to the league office to tell them that he thinks he was dosed unwillingly, and they then drug tested and suspended him, then you’d think that he would have been able to win an appeal and all of this would have remained quiet because of confidentiality agreements.

64. lengai says: Sep 3, 2014 10:20 AM

I’ll buy that for a dollar.

65. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 3, 2014 10:23 AM

He’d have better luck saying it was from osmosis, bumping into all those Seahawk players.

66. thelastwordyaheard says: Sep 3, 2014 10:25 AM

there are places where even people who don’t do drugs do drugs & the Kentucky Derby is one of those places

67. bullcharger says: Sep 3, 2014 10:25 AM

It’s pretty unlikely that the one time in his life someone spiked his drink with something he had random drug testing the next day.

If it really was MDMA, he likely took it voluntarily to have a good time. A mistake, but really not a huge deal and really should be handled as a first time offense under the drug abuse policy.

However, there is also a chance that he was taking amphetamines to help his play.

In any case I don’t really buy that he was drugged at the Derby.

68. dirtysouthironmen says: Sep 3, 2014 10:27 AM

“Very Nice” signed Ryan Braun.

69. bigwinintx says: Sep 3, 2014 10:32 AM

Is this part of his “Chewbacca was a wookie” defense?
    Cause if it is, then South Park wants their royalties upfront!

70. leftlaneisforpassingonly says: Sep 3, 2014 10:36 AM

He should have beat his wife and saved himself two games on the suspension.

71. dstep24 says: Sep 3, 2014 10:41 AM

He got confused. He was supposed to bet on “Molly” but got high instead. Silly Wes.

72. jducky68 says: Sep 3, 2014 10:43 AM

Hesa thinksa someone slipped him a mickey??? Me no thinkso….me thinksa he no wanta be doin the “PATRIOT WAY” thatsa what me thinksa….. NO PAYCHECK FOR YOU!

73. ilikethiskindaparty says: Sep 3, 2014 10:43 AM

Kinda funny he’s calling it “a molly” to make it seem like he doesn’t know what it is. It’s like saying “I never tried a cocaine in my life.” Or “How many marijuanas can I get for $50?” Sure Wes. ROLL BRONCOS. And please: Legalize it. All of it.

74. conormacleod says: Sep 3, 2014 10:46 AM

I’m kind of mad that nobody has ever slipped a Molly into my drink. I need a higher class of friends.

75. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 3, 2014 10:55 AM

This explains why Welker was lobbying hard the signing of Max Hall as the back-up QB.

76. radar8 says: Sep 3, 2014 11:00 AM

Someone did spike Welker’s drink…. Welker.

What a bonehead. If you saw video of Welker at the Kentucky Derby, you could see that he was high as a kite. He knew he was high and he knew why.
    MDSM is an amphetamine and a hallucinogen. So it can fall under wither the substance abuse or the PED use.
    The NFL went for PED.

77. folkcrusader says: Sep 3, 2014 11:01 AM

MDMA is not a substance that is tested for by the NFL, so whether he took that or not is not an issue.

Adderall is exactly the same drug composition as meth-amphetamine. It’s just taken in smaller doses and typically in time release form. So testing positive for Adderall is the same chemically as testing positive for amphetamines. Of course the NFL could easily distinguish between one and the other based on blood concentration alone.

As far as being slipped the drug, I get the laughter but think about it for a minute. When a football player enters a club or a public place pretty much everyone knows it with in a few minutes – especially someone like Welker. It would be quite simple for a pissed off bartender or service person to put something in their drink. If it was Adderall he would probably never know it was in there as there would be little to no effect. Not saying it happened, just sayin’.

78. spurs0924 says: Sep 3, 2014 11:02 AM

Big Bronco fan here, but I must treat Welker’s statement just like I do all the others – I don’t believe you. Just accept that you gor caught.

79. radar8 says: Sep 3, 2014 11:02 AM

Meant to say MDMA, not MDSM….ooops

80. thebirdofprey2 says: Sep 3, 2014 11:05 AM

Wes take your punishment without lying and making yourself look more like an idiot.

Sunglasses on inside, collar popped, handing out money/love to strangers. Sounds like a bunch of other college dudes that voluntarily took ecstasy to me.

81. TheWizard says: Sep 3, 2014 11:06 AM

… I have to wonder if … Nah, couldn’t be. Could it?

Whatever it takes to get an edge.

82. c9zz says: Sep 3, 2014 11:11 AM

He handed a Molly dealer a 100 bill, and got what he paid for, that simple.

83. bullcharger says: Sep 3, 2014 11:12 AM

I don’t really understand the confidentiality rule. Why even say you are suspending the player for PEDs if you aren’t going to say which ones. Tell the whole story or just announce at a suspension for undisclosed reasons. The players having to defend themseleves when they really didn’t do anything very wrong or the players lying when they did do something wrong are both bad outcomes of the current process.

84. bp90210 says: Sep 3, 2014 11:17 AM

“MDMA (or Molly) which had been cut with amphetamines.”

The “A” in MDMA is amphetamine. It’s not cut with it, it is it.

85. mcallistersan says: Sep 3, 2014 11:22 AM

I actually believe the guy too. It’s probably the easiest substance to do that with. Tasteless and invisible once it hits liquid.

Seeing him with that big smile in sunglasses handing out hundos looks like a guy who is on Molly for the first time.

86. vancouversportsbro says: Sep 3, 2014 11:23 AM

Classic excuse. I really believe you Wes.

87. harveyredman says: Sep 3, 2014 11:26 AM

C’mon man!

If his drink really was “spiked” with MDMA (“Ecstasy, as it is known) or Adderall – he would know exactly 45 minutes afterwards. Trust it!!

Those two drugs are every bit as strong as alcohol and perhaps stronger. Could someone unknowingly spike your Coke/Pepsi 15 times with JD and you not notice at some point?

NOBODY ingests MDMA or Adderall and doesn’t feel a SIGNIFICANT change in their “normal” selves.

88. thenewguydowntheblock says: Sep 3, 2014 11:27 AM

Okay. I’m when I’m drunk. I’m going to tell people I don’t drink. That I don’t even know how I got drunk. That someone must have spiked my water when I was at work.

89. brazzz01 says: Sep 3, 2014 11:34 AM

Wes is clean. It’s obvious that one of Belichick’s minions spiked his drink to make him and Peyton Manning look bad.

I am so outraged that the Patriots keep getting away with this kind of cheating. What other league puts up with this? Why doesn’t the commish do something? It’s ridiculous.

Everyone needs to email Bud Selig and tell him to fold the Patriots franchise NOW for the good of the NFL.

90. bayousooner90 says: Sep 3, 2014 11:34 AM

Really?

91. joeflaccosunibrow says: Sep 3, 2014 11:36 AM

Yes, the person responsible for spiking your drink is Bes Belker

92. footballfan58 says: Sep 3, 2014 11:40 AM

I’m laughing at the posters trying to tie the Patriots to Wes’s drug bust. Sorry people, the Broncos own this, not New England. LOL!!

93. seabrawk12 says: Sep 3, 2014 11:45 AM

Sure Wes. Someone “spiked” your drink after you courteously handed them a random $100 bill.

94. nite2al says: Sep 3, 2014 12:01 PM

One minute it’s the drug testing system, next, someone spiked your drink…spoken like a true liar.

95. toybkshr says: Sep 3, 2014 12:03 PM

Bet that “random” test was ordered right after someone from the league saw or heard about Wes handing out $100 bills!

96. nite2al says: Sep 3, 2014 12:05 PM

Obviously, this dude has no lawyer…

97. buckybadger says: Sep 3, 2014 12:08 PM

Don’t play people for fools. Starting to not like you Welker. First whatever you took in May didn’t show up in a test at training camp when you probably had to take one per what I understand of the drug testing (they don’t call these guys in during the off season unless they have had trouble in the past). Welker is talking like a guy who thinks we are stupid and might have a bigger problem.

98. tigerlilac says: Sep 3, 2014 12:09 PM

Adderall needs to be taken within an hour or two before a game to have any beneficial affect (think about the kids who take this stuff to help with schoolwork). The reason it stays in the system is that it takes a long times to be metabolized by the liver. If Welker took it on purpose he took it as a party drug but the pharmacology of the drug would make that rather senseless. The idea that he was doing this to improve his game day performance is inane. PFT might want to ask someone who really understands pharmacology to comment on these stories. The NFL and Goodell care more about image than reality.

99. weepingjebus says: Sep 3, 2014 12:13 PM

It was Peyton, and knowing the speed at which he runs there’s still a good chance we can catch him outside the derby.

100. brazzz01 says: Sep 3, 2014 12:15 PM

I actually think the timing is interesting on this announcement.

From what I’m reading it sounds like Goodell sat on his failed test and suspension and only NOW announced it after he lost his appeal…. AFTER the Broncos made it clear they want him back on the field post concussion….

Perhaps the league found a “technicality” they could use to keep Welker off the field for a few more weeks thanks to all the storm clouds around the NFL on the concussion issue?

Now THIS is something legit that makes you go hmm…

101. realbkw says: Sep 3, 2014 12:50 PM

My drink got hacked.

102. realbkw says: Sep 3, 2014 12:56 PM

And it takes awhile for the testing and the appeals process. The league couldn’t have known he would be getting a concussion. I don’t think there’s any “hmmm” about it. Welker saying his drink might have been spiked in May leads me to believe it was a random drug test from months ago.

103. bigblu73 says: Sep 3, 2014 1:21 PM

mcallistersan says:
    Sep 3, 2014 11:22 AM

****************************************************************************************************************

You obviously have ZERO experience with MDMA huh?LOL

“tasteless and invisible once it hits liquid” uhhm…… how about thats the EXACT OPPOSITE of the truth!!!

MDMA is EXTREMELY bitter and DOES NOT dissolve easily “once it hits liquid”.

104. tony1oh1no says: Sep 3, 2014 1:22 PM

Classic Wes…

105. castleanthrax says: Sep 3, 2014 1:33 PM

HA! That would explain the behavior at the Derby. The hat, the $100 bills, the crazy bets he was hitting, etc.

He was feeling quite happy that day…hmmm.

106. jchaiss says: Sep 3, 2014 1:39 PM

Yes someone spiked your drink and that was you.

107. brazzz01 says: Sep 3, 2014 2:05 PM

———–

Of course not, but I’m sure they are aware of his issues with them. And I’ve almost always heard news of the player testing positive BEFORE the appeal, not after. I just think it’s interesting timing.

Like I said there are storm clouds around the league on this issue and it’s in their best interest to make sure their players are protected.

108. bowsi says: Sep 3, 2014 2:26 PM

Good golly miss Molly this is one ignorant dude. Curtis, I apologize.

109. realfootballfan says: Sep 3, 2014 2:41 PM

Is he a 22-year-old girl? You know you were living that Molly life, so just own it.

110. kirkleton42 says: Sep 3, 2014 2:50 PM

I belive Wes until they fully prove him guilty

111. saintswillwin says: Sep 3, 2014 6:08 PM

Was that the same racetrack that Welker was overpaid on a race he won and refused to give back the money and was handing out $100 bills?

Suspect #1!!!

112. newjerseygiants says: Sep 3, 2014 6:22 PM

Always keep your hand over your mint julep.

113. bert1913 says: Sep 3, 2014 8:24 PM

i know that the seahawks had nothing to do with this, they want him to play.

114. j0esixpack says: Sep 3, 2014 10:11 PM

Took him a full day to come up with that theory! Hilarious!

115. Thomas L. says: Sep 8, 2014 1:10 PM

That would be quite and interesting way to mess with someone else’s team, seems pretty unlikely though.