Report: Texans targeted Matt Barkley before Ryan Mallett deal

New York Jets v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

With an utter lack of talent at the position and the cross-pollenation between the Patriots and Texans coaching staffs, it seemed natural when Houston dealt for Ryan Mallett.

But he might not have been their first target.

According to Lance Zierlein of Sports Talk 790 in Houston, the Texans had targeted Eagles third-stringer Matt Barkley before they made the call on Mallett.

While the Mallett’s familiarity with coach Bill O’Brien made him the logical target, there are reasons to prefer Barkley. Namely, he has three years of contract left at bargain rates, while Mallett is in the final year of his rookie deal.

Of course, the Texans gave a conditional seventh that could turn into a sixth for Mallett, while the Eagles would have certainly wanted more for their 2013 fourth-rounder.

It’s interesting to file away, because the Texans’ search for a quarterback figures to be a thorough one, which will last into next offseason unless Mallett magically turns into the guy.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Report: Texans targeted Matt Barkley before Ryan Mallett deal”
  1. floratiotime says: Sep 5, 2014 10:42 AM

Barkley … now THAT’s funny.

2. drfeelyouup says: Sep 5, 2014 10:42 AM

Those boys are desperate.

3. phillytailgater says: Sep 5, 2014 10:43 AM

Deandre Hopkins for Matt Barkley and a conditional 4th would have been fantastic!

4. asimonetti88 says: Sep 5, 2014 10:49 AM

He deserves a chance to start! If that’s not in Philly, hopefully somewhere else.

5. buccan33rz1976 says: Sep 5, 2014 10:52 AM

Bleacher report here I come.

6. cobrala says: Sep 5, 2014 10:54 AM

I would’ve let Barkley go for a 4th or better. He’s got no future as anyone’s starter.

7. ctiggs says: Sep 5, 2014 11:00 AM

ummm for what

8. floratiotime says: Sep 5, 2014 11:00 AM

I’m sure most Eagles fans would agree that only 2 #1 picks could get them to part with a future HOFer like Barkley. If bragging won you football games the Eagles would be undefeated every year.

9. touchdownroddywhite says: Sep 5, 2014 11:02 AM

Surprised they didn’t go after the Sanchize. At least he’s proven he can manage a game in tough spots… when he’s not busy running into the backside of his own blockers that is.

10. jimmyt says: Sep 5, 2014 11:06 AM

The Mallett?

11. roadwarrior99 says: Sep 5, 2014 11:38 AM

I stopped reading at Lance Zierlein.

12. thejabronisayz says: Sep 5, 2014 11:56 AM

Matt Barkley is USC’s version of Jimmy Clausen.

13. psousa1 says: Sep 5, 2014 12:06 PM

Wow. I mean, wow. Wow.

14. blacknole08 says: Sep 5, 2014 12:17 PM

A ham sammich would be a better option at QB than Fitzpatrick.

15. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Sep 5, 2014 12:22 PM

Of course, the Texans gave a conditional seventh that could turn into a sixth for Mallett, while the Eagles would have certainly wanted more for their 2013 fourth-rounder”.

Really? Have you watched Matt Barkley play?

16. phiddysent says: Sep 5, 2014 12:49 PM

What? Eagles fan here….I’ll give you Barkley and Reno Mahe for an oatmeal raisin cookie and a glass of milk.

17. bobbyhoying says: Sep 5, 2014 12:49 PM

I’ll bet Barkley gets to play this year, but I hope Foles and Sanchez stay healthy. I’ll bet he’s more well prepared than last year. He may be better than some starters in this league.

18. vancouversportsbro says: Sep 5, 2014 12:51 PM

Barkley? I’m pretty sure he’s number three…behind Sanchez even. He hasn’t looked good in any game I’ve seen him play in.

19. jimsjam33 says: Sep 5, 2014 12:52 PM

Matt Barkley in the last pre-season game looked like he could start for half the NFL teams . He has a strong arm , good vision , and a I.Q. that makes him probably the best non-starter in the league . I’d want a least a 3rd rounder for him and a replacement 3rd. string QB if you’re knocking on my door . Remember, he has one year OJT with the Eagles . He’s a no-brainer if I’m shopping He’s got three more years on a rookie contract and that amounts to sampling the goods without paying for them .

20. casualmalexlfan says: Sep 5, 2014 1:12 PM

While I’ll admit I’m not thrilled with having Fitzpatrick as our starting quarterback, I’m certainly glad the Texans chose not to pursue Matt Barkley.

21. TheDPR says: Sep 5, 2014 1:51 PM

Tom Savage can develop. I don’t think they have a quarterback problem in the future. The problem is now.

22. g2-9ed9acc685824c6663c51c5b093476cc says: Sep 5, 2014 2:21 PM

The Texans are ranked #31 out of 32 teams by ESPN. Absent a season where they play far over their heads, I think you can rest assured the Texans QB of the future will be a top five pick in the 2015 draft.

23. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 5, 2014 2:22 PM

Mallett Head is a poor man’s Matt Barkley.

24. officialgame says: Sep 5, 2014 2:31 PM

Barkley’s shoulder has finally healed and he played very well this pre season. He proved he can make all the throws required by a NFL QB. Probably a better fit for a West Coast offense team.

25. navigator24 says: Sep 5, 2014 2:52 PM

The Texans gave up a conditional 7th rounder for Mallett. What were we getting for Barkley, some chicken fajitas ?

26. harveyredman says: Sep 5, 2014 3:00 PM

I’m no fan of Tebow or Vince Young, but both QB’s have a winning record and have proven they can win games. It behooves me that neither is on a squad as a back-up.

How many back-up QB’s in the league can say they have winning records?

I’m not saying either is a starter, but they can both come in and make things happen for a game or two. Which is way more than a guy like Barkley, or Clausen, or the bearded, professional back-up in Tennessee will ever give you…

So many QB’s getting paid to hold a clipboard just praying they never get in.

27. cybersqueak says: Sep 5, 2014 4:59 PM

I wish the Texans would have got Barkley to just to ensure that they stay on the bottom of the division where they belong.

28. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Sep 5, 2014 5:56 PM

“He has a strong arm , good vision , and a I.Q. that makes him probably the best non-starter in the league”

You realize we are talking about Matt Barkley and not Charles Barkley, right?

Chip Kelly, the coach who drafted him, thought so much of his arm, vision, and IQ that he went out and gave Mark Sanchez $4M to come in and take his place on the depth chart.

29. bencoates57 says: Sep 5, 2014 5:56 PM

Mallett is awful. Period.

30. jimsjam33 says: Sep 6, 2014 2:02 PM

Luke Dunphy ,

How long was Aaron Rodgers on the bench before Green Bay turned him loose . Stop being short-sighted . Try to think like a GM . Barkley is still there because Coach Chip Kelley wants him there , not for this season , but for next season or two years from now . Sanchez is stop gap and Foley is only a knee injury away . An NFL team needs third good QB’s these days . Barkley will be just fine as time elapses . Philly fans will be happy he’s there .