Full text of Adrian Peterson’s statement about indictment in Texas

File photo of Minnesota Vikings Adrian Peterson after a season-ending loss to the Green Bay Packers in Green Bay Reuters

My attorney has asked me not to discuss the facts of my pending case. I hope you can respect that request and help me honor it. I very much want the public to hear from me but I understand that it is not appropriate to talk about the facts in detail at this time. Nevertheless, I want everyone to understand how sorry I feel about the hurt I have brought to my child.

I never wanted to be a distraction to the Vikings organization, the Minnesota community or to my teammates. I never imagined being in a position where the world is judging my parenting skills or calling me a child abuser because of the discipline I administered to my son.

I voluntarily appeared before the grand jury several weeks ago to answer any and all questions they had. Before my grand jury appearance, I was interviewed by two different police agencies without an attorney. In each of these interviews I have said the same thing, and that is that I never ever intended to harm my son. I will say the same thing once I have my day in court.

I have learned a lot and have had to reevaluate how I discipline my son going forward. But deep in my heart I have always believed I could have been one of those kids that was lost in the streets without the discipline instilled in me by my parents and other relatives. I have always believed that the way my parents disciplined me has a great deal to do with the success I have enjoyed as a man. I love my son and I will continue to become a better parent and learn from any mistakes I ever make.

I am not a perfect son. I am not a perfect husband. I am not a perfect parent, but I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser. I am someone that disciplined his child and did not intend to cause him any injury. No one can understand the hurt that I feel for my son and for the harm I caused him. My goal is always to teach my son right from wrong and that’s what I tried to do that day.

I accept the fact that people feel very strongly about this issue and what they think about my conduct. Regardless of what others think, however, I love my son very much and I will continue to try to become a better father and person.

Permalink 137 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Features, Minnesota Vikings, Top Stories
137 Responses to “Full text of Adrian Peterson’s statement about indictment in Texas”
  1. gettingzygiwithit says: Sep 15, 2014 2:55 PM

Forgiven.

Go Vikes!

2. billswillnevermove says: Sep 15, 2014 2:57 PM

I actually believe him.

3. thegrey7 says: Sep 15, 2014 2:57 PM

Good statement AP. You seem sincere.

4. co0p11 says: Sep 15, 2014 2:58 PM

Doesn’t sound like a child abuser. What I like most about it is he isn’t hiding behind anything and admitted his faults. I don’t agree with that discipline (or at least to that level) but I find it sad that so many people label him a child abuser over on incident. He made a terrible mistake but his intent was not to injury the child he loves.

5. shumagorath says: Sep 15, 2014 2:58 PM

4 year olds dude.

6. whatnojets says: Sep 15, 2014 2:58 PM

The following words are from the heart and I believe him…..There is no way we is a child abuser…..

“I am not a perfect son. I am not a perfect husband. I am not a perfect parent, but I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser. I am someone that disciplined his child and did not intend to cause him any injury.”

If I would be a juror….Not Guilty….

7. drdoom82 says: Sep 15, 2014 2:58 PM

Swatting your kids butt is as far as you need to go. But a lot of our parents would be doing time if the laws that exist today existed then.

8. blizzard01 says: Sep 15, 2014 2:59 PM

Your son is 4 years old.

What lesson were you imparting when you shoved leaves in his mouth? I don’t want to hear you screaming?

9. floreskins says: Sep 15, 2014 2:59 PM

Did this statement come from his attorney or his biggie heart?

10. 2greatgoldens says: Sep 15, 2014 2:59 PM

Of course you wrote every word of this statement, AP. It sounds just like your texts to the child’s baby mama. Sorry, the “poor me” routine doesn’t cut it in this case. You don’t get a pass on child abuse.

11. toastingpoe says: Sep 15, 2014 2:59 PM

Except that physical abuse is defined by the act, not the ‘good’ intentions behind it.

12. troy43mvp says: Sep 15, 2014 2:59 PM

Very well written. I’m not a viking fan but I thought it was a well thought out explanation from a man who has the intentions of becoming a better parent.

13. ecarlso8 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:01 PM

sounds like his lawyer wrote that….

14. reebsta says: Sep 15, 2014 3:02 PM

He had a child that he never saw until a month before he was beaten to death. He is correct is not a good father but he is an abuser. The irony in it all

15. nomercy2012 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:02 PM

I understand this statement. I understand where he’s coming from, and I don’t believe this would have been such an issue if it hadn’t come right on the heels of this Ray Rice /Greg Hardy / 49ers guy drama.

Like it or not, there are people in this world who discipline with spanking. This particular instance went to far and his son was inadvertently hurt. The kangaroo court of public opinion should not get to decide whether he goes to jail and/or never plays another football game.

16. whatnojets says: Sep 15, 2014 3:02 PM

One more thing…I went to a Catholic Grammar School where the Nuns would take a ruler and smack it over your knuckles if you did something really bad….no one dared to call them child abusers….

17. ymca2014 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:02 PM

His lawyer wrote that…

In the words of Chris Carter: C’MON MAN!!!

18. sonofad says: Sep 15, 2014 3:03 PM

Being sorry isn’t an excuse. He did it.

Unintentional????

What the heck did he think was going to happen when he beat his kid like a slave owner?

19. gogoniners says: Sep 15, 2014 3:04 PM

This should be considered a victory as a result of the outcry. His intentions seem genuine (in that he did not intend or think this was harming his child excessively) but he has recognized what he has done and moved to identify avenues to better himself.

Hopefully this whole thing becomes less now about vilifying AP (because frankly too many damn people in this world only want to vilify others, instead of, you know, maybe trying to help them) and more about slowly changing the way a large portion of the world views physical discipline towards children.

20. whatnojets says: Sep 15, 2014 3:04 PM

ymca2014 says:
    Sep 15, 2014 3:02 PM

His lawyer wrote that…
    —————————————–

What??? Now people are calling him an illiterate? He did go to college, you know.

21. ilovecostcobut says: Sep 15, 2014 3:04 PM

Deny, deny, deny.

The photos of his son sat show that he IS a child abuser. Saying your not guilty isn’t the same thing as not being guilty.

Ask OJ.

22. wezalo says: Sep 15, 2014 3:05 PM

There should be more parents out there that corrected their kids. Instead of babying the with “time outs”and other nonsense. That why this younger generation is as horrible as they are. Glad I was shown right from wrong at an early age. Thanks mom and dad.

23. joemammy says: Sep 15, 2014 3:07 PM

Yes you are. AP, you abused your child. Therefore, you are a child abuser.

24. jacobsjvj says: Sep 15, 2014 3:09 PM

Adrian Peterson wishes he could speak or worda statement as well as this one. Word from the head of his lawyer, from the fingers of his secretary, and Peterson’s name was just attached to it.

25. bill3334 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:09 PM

He admits to harming the child but says that was not his intention. The DA and Grand Jury also seem to understand this. Which is why the charge is for Reckless or NEGLIGENT harm to a child. He should have known he was harming the child. I have always believed you should never use corporal punishment while you are still angry at the child. Send them to their room telling them to think about their action then wait a few minutes to calm down before administering a spanking if it is warranted.

26. gochargersgo says: Sep 15, 2014 3:09 PM

shumagorath says:
    Sep 15, 2014 2:58 PM
    “My guess is you are a Child Abuser if you abuse a child whether you like the title or not.

4 year olds dude.”

My guess is that you would not appreciate your life being destroyed the moment you were accused of committing a crime without ever being afforded the opportunity to defend yourself. There will be plenty of time to pass judgement once the story has unfolded. Until then, try not to injure yourself as you descend from your high horse.

27. eaglefan94 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:10 PM

I don’t necessarily think Peterson is a horrible person, I think he is a product of how he was raised and the environment he grew up in. He’s an adult now, it’s time to realize that beating 4-year-olds with a tree branch doesn’t fly anymore.

28. tjacks7 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:11 PM

Sounds sincere and believable. He’s been open and honest throughout the entire ordeal. With his wife, the police, the Vikings and the NFL. No issue in my eyes with him playing while the court case is pending.

29. freeigwebuike says: Sep 15, 2014 3:11 PM

Sounds like Rusty Hardin is very sorry for what Adrian did.

And, can you put quit with the “when I was a I kid…” bit? Getting wrapped over the knuckles with a wooden ruler (believe me, I know; don’t ever roll your eyes at a nun) is nothing compared to what Adrian did to his son.

30. frankiesweep says: Sep 15, 2014 3:11 PM

Suckers all over this board.

31. motlj says: Sep 15, 2014 3:11 PM

If this is how AP was disciplined as a child, he knows exactly what he was doing to his son. And if he never intended to cause him any harm or injure him, then why did he continue even after his son was cut and bleeding? He hit his son with said switch dozens of times. He can’t try and say he didn’t know how badly he was hurting his son while he’s sitting there bleeding. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to be told hold to discipline my kids. I completely support a parents decision to spank their children. Using an inanimate object, to me, crosses the line. Honestly, what could this 4-year-old have done to deserve such a beating? And if he really did do something to deserve such an unthinkable punishment, what does that say about how AP is raising his kid. If at 4 he’s already in that much trouble AP isn’t doing a very good job as a father. The same father who just had a son die from physical abuse less than a year ago (granted, up until a month before he passed, he was unaware of this child’s existence).

32. trevor190 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:11 PM

NFL should discipline him with a switch.

33. 2manyconcussions says: Sep 15, 2014 3:11 PM

PFT commenters seem quick to want to label Peterson. I think the bigger question is not what label you put on Peterson, but how is society and, more importantly, this young boy is best served?

It seems very clear that this boy needs his father. Yet, he needs a father that disciplines in an appropriate fashion. What Peterson needs is counseling and parenting skills not prison. This prosecution is of no practical value.

34. it's all bs says: Sep 15, 2014 3:12 PM

sounds like he still doesn’t get “it”….where does he ACCEPT responsibility for his actions and he never talks about the possible harm he has done to his son!!!

35. Waffle 2.0 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:12 PM

Man, AP really has improved his grammar and delivery over the years. His sentence structure and paragraph formation is really quite sound from a technical point of view.

Kind of like someone that has experience with Public Relations, communications, legal contracts, etc. Man, that’s a coincidence, don’t agents have all of those skills?

36. keylimelight says: Sep 15, 2014 3:12 PM

Peterson presents a very good defense and mea culpa. He seems sincere and the tone is pitch perfect.

After reading that statement, I believe that he will not repeat such an incident.

What more can you ask of a human being?

37. followme2boston says: Sep 15, 2014 3:15 PM

How do you judge the way he was raised as anything but successful? The man is a once in a generation talent with the work ethic to go along with it. This is the way the rest of the world raises children and the way children were raised for thousands of years. It is only in the last generation where this has been deemed inappropriate, it is very difficult to wrestle with and come to terms with. Not having seen the pictures of the kid maybe makes him seem more sympathetic, but even if the kid was black and blue all over it is still hard to argue against what he did.

38. chargrz says: Sep 15, 2014 3:15 PM

So the Vikings are basically saying that since they lost yesterday and their outlook for the rest of the season is bleak. It is ok to shove leaves in a 4 year olds mouth to muffle his screams and beat him with a whip ( branch) until he bleeds in multiple areas as long as AP can score touchdowns? OK i get it. Thanks. All clear now.
    Vikings and the NFL are cowards!

39. blacknorangestripes says: Sep 15, 2014 3:15 PM

I believe one of the biggest problems with American society these days is the lack of physical discipline. Getting spanked has been proven to be effective for centuries. I was even spanked with a giant wooden paddle by the principle of my school in the late 80’s..

That being said I don’t condone the magnitude of AP’s physical discipline of a 4 year old. He most certainly took it too far, but I seriously doubt it was intended. People that want to compare this to Rice slugging his wife in the face are not thinking logically.

Oh, and I’m in NO way a Vikings fan, though I am a big fan of coach Zimmer.

40. numba1wiscosportsfan says: Sep 15, 2014 3:15 PM

Again, I believe him. Doesn’t make it right or un-do the damage. I think he’s just not a very smart guy who SHOULD NOT have had kids to begin with!! And apparently some of my fellow PACK fans on here could use a lesson in humility. GO PACK!

41. mnvikingsfan says: Sep 15, 2014 3:15 PM

“I didn’t mean to shoot him/her and I deeply regret that it happened”

“When she nodded her head yes, I thought she was giving me permission. When she began screaming no and sobbing, I thought it was part of the act itself. I deeply regret that it happened”

In the examples above, I’m sure everyone agreed punishment should be swift and lengthy. No difference between the examples above and what Peterson said.

Personally I believe he never meant for it to happen, but that doesn’t mean he should be forgiven. He rightly deserves whatever punishment he is given. If he is truly sorry, he wont appeal his Vikings/NFL sentence

42. pillowporkers says: Sep 15, 2014 3:16 PM

Barabbas!!! Release Barabbas!!!

43. 12brichandfamous says: Sep 15, 2014 3:16 PM

We all make mistakes. The standard for us all is: did we learn from the mistake and make the effort to improve and not repeat it?

I am thankful he sought help and realized his loss of control and error. I believe his vow to learn and improve is sincere.

I put the same standard of improvement to judge the teams I root for. If they are continuously improving, I am happy. If they keep making the same mistakes over and over, then Jim Schwartz must be coaching.

44. kd75 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:17 PM

Just like Bill Clinton did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.

45. stableinnh says: Sep 15, 2014 3:17 PM

I think he regrets it happening, and I have no doubt he will do anything he can to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.

Now the question is, would he still feel remorse, and change his future actions, if he hadn’t been caught?… then of course, if he didn’t play football, no one would have heard a single thing about the whole incident.

God I’m glad I’m not famous…..

46. dfwbillsfan14221 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:17 PM

I wish more parents doled out corporal punishment these days. Have you seen the type of “men” our sissified society is producing? Kids have 0 respect for adults, parents, teachers, the law, etc. And guess what? They become men who have 0 respect for anyone.
    When I was a kid, if I went crying to Mom because my fanny hurt after Dad got out the belt, I would’ve gotten it again. No police reports to file.
    And no, I don’t condone the “angry drunk dad” just beating on the boy because he can. I’m talking about
    discipline with a purpose, done without anger or rage, but rather to teach lessons. Guess what – you generally learned quick back then. And you may have been crying but when asked “do you understand what you did wrong?” you better believe the answer was “yes sir”

47. youreinthejunglebaby says: Sep 15, 2014 3:17 PM

That drunk driver didn’t “mean” to hurt anyone either.

48. floodoobious says: Sep 15, 2014 3:17 PM

There is a big diff between abuse and discipline. Most of the people jumping on his case probably are the some of the terrible parents of spoiled kids I see at the grocery stores, mall, and other places. I have heard many proudly exclaim that “I spoil my child” Well, here we are… a world predominately full of spoiled brats. Quit giving parenting advice, because no one wants kids that behave like yours! FREE AP.

49. markbarnett1961 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:20 PM

You are most certainly a child abuser – whipping a 4 yo with a stick is your idea of punishment? What a warped individual

50. peopletrains says: Sep 15, 2014 3:20 PM

His lawyer wrote a great statement. I can’t wait to hear what AP has to say.

51. 1920gsh says: Sep 15, 2014 3:21 PM

Clearly, written by someone other than AP.

By the way, “I didn’t mean to” isn’t a valid defense. A reasonably minded person would have foreseen that repeatedly striking a four year old with a long stick is going to cause harm. Corporal punishment in and of itself isn’t child abuse, but when it causes this kind of bodily harm it certainly is.

52. The Steelers are Marching. 7 rings. SFL 2015: restoring the game we created. says: Sep 15, 2014 3:22 PM

A couple months removed from being 3 years old, brutally whipped, leaves stuffed in his mouth. That’s a barbaric. That’s not discipline; that’s torture. The only thing this kid learned was to curl up in a ball whenever Adrian is around.

53. indytom87 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:22 PM

I believe him but there are charges on the books for “negligence” for a reason. It’s so folks will think twice before an accident could occur.

When people drink and drive, none of them intentionally plan to hurt others either. However there are prices one pays for unintended consequences – to protect the victims.

54. jakescott22 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:22 PM

I believe that he didn’t mean to abuse his kid. I also think he is guilty of the crime he is charged with (which doesn’t require intent) but it is up to a jury to determine whether what he did was criminally negligent.

It is not a cut and dry question whether or not what he did was criminally negligent or, as the district attorney phrased it “unreasonable.” I personally think it was unreasonable and therefore criminally negligent under the statute but there seem to be lots of people (more than I would have thought) who think punishing a kid with a switch is a type of discipline that is within reason for a parent to choose.

I don’t think either the Vikings or the NFL should try to put themselves in the position of trying to tell parents how to discipline their kids. If that’s true, then the only reason Adrian should get penalized by the Vikings or the NFL is if he did something illegal and we simply don’t know that yet because a jury didn’t answer the question yet.

If he is found guilty of felony negligent injury to a child, presumably he then falls under the NFL’s new domestic abuse policy and would be suspended a minimum of 6 games (or more since a child was involved).

I do not approve of Adrian’s habit of leaving fatherless kids all over the place and, as I already stated IN MY OPINION, he’s guilty as charged. But I still think the Vikings are making the right choice by letting him play and I don’t think the NFL should be suspending him unless and until he’s convicted.

55. greenandgoldgirl says: Sep 15, 2014 3:25 PM

I would believe him except for one thing. The defensive wounds on the boys hands. If he did not intent to hurt him the moment those hands went up he would have stopped. It was a sign from the child that he was hurt. This man has issues and needs to continue to see a psychologist. He also needs to be suspended. Period. Actions have consequences. Intended or not, he hurt his child badly. And it was told that he has a whopping room. Sorry just can’t reconcile his words with his actions. Simply, he abused his child or he would not have been indicted. It’s fine to be sorry, but there are still consequences he must face.

56. iejdaniel says: Sep 15, 2014 3:25 PM

reebsta says:
    Sep 15, 2014 3:02 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The part that you left out was that he was not even informed that the child was his until 2 months before the child was beaten to death. Sure, he never saw him until shortly before the 2 year old died, but how many guys visit kids that they don’t know are theirs?

57. mcox22 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:26 PM

Very well written. Just like his text’s to the mom.

58. John Henson says: Sep 15, 2014 3:27 PM

Hey, just because I abuse my child doesn’t mean I’m a child abuser. Oh… yeah. I guess it does.

59. johnnyjagfan says: Sep 15, 2014 3:27 PM

The only thing that really got me was the eating the leaves thing. That’s weird. The switch? More accepted in the South. A skin injury heals better than an injured back from a swat across the butt with an adult’s hand. Sounds like he got way over aggressive–probably just so mad & embarrassed that his kid knocked another child off a motorcycle onto a hard arcade floor.

60. macneil4025 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:28 PM

61. jcbadger34 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:30 PM

numba1wiscosportsfan says: Sep 15, 2014 3:15 PM

————-

Good lord, your act is ridiculous. No matter how many times you say you’re a Packer fan, everyone knows you’re a Vikings fan. Get a life.

62. In Teddy We Trust says: Sep 15, 2014 3:31 PM

I wanted him to say it in person. You can tell if a person is speaking from the heart when you actually hear it, but we don’t know if he really means this or if his lawyer wrote it for him.

63. whatnojets says: Sep 15, 2014 3:31 PM

blizzard01 says:
    Sep 15, 2014 2:59 PM

Your son is 4 years old.

——————————————–

I would take leaves in my mouth in a heart beat…
    At least they are considered organic unlike the bar of soap your parents shoved down your throat back in the day…..

Oh…How we forget those days……

64. mpgd1223 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:31 PM

I’m shocked at the people sticking up for Peterson on this page. THE 4 YEAR OLD had lacerations across his testicals and across his hands from trying to block the switch. Had it been one or two swats, okay fine. But this was across almost his entire body. Repeatedly.

Even if you do it only once, abusing a child is a crime. This was not “punishment”, this was abuse.

As for the statement, not to say AP couldn’t have written it himself, but this obviously came from his lawyer. Those of you saying “he sounds sincere” on a written statement are only seeing what you want to see.

If Ray Rice deserves to be out of the league for beating his wife, then AP deserves the same punishment and more for beating his son.

65. metalman5150 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:32 PM

Over reaction seems to be the course.
    Hail to the Redskins!

66. whatnojets says: Sep 15, 2014 3:33 PM

Maybe we should ban ” A Christmas Story” being shown on national TV during the Christmas holidays???

67. sonofad says: Sep 15, 2014 3:33 PM

He’s very sorry.

Viking fans can once again worship their hero.

68. politicallyincorrect says: Sep 15, 2014 3:34 PM

I believe every word he said…… this does sound like abuse and I think he is being honest and is well meaning… he is not hiding or lying like so many others…. this said, he was very wrong and he should be punished but I do not think he is a bad person

many of us spend our adult lives trying to overcome what we were taught

69. mpgd1223 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:36 PM

“So … bottom line is that at the moment it is not clear from a legal standpoint whether or not what he did is actually illegal (no matter how clear your own opinion is as to whether or not using a switch is reasonable).”

The last time I checked, whipping a little boy and causing lacerations across his entire body was “child abuse” – whether it’s the parent or not doesn’t matter. It’s still abuse.

70. whatnojets says: Sep 15, 2014 3:37 PM

Sep 15, 2014 3:22 PM

————————————-

OK…How about chemically laced soap?? Is that acceptable??

71. footballfan825 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:39 PM

ilovecostcobut says:
    Sep 15, 2014 3:04 PM
    Deny, deny, deny.

Ask OJ.
    ________________

OJ was found not guilty.

72. mpgd1223 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:39 PM

“I’m interested to see when charges are brought against the Montgomery County Texas DA’s office for Illegally distributing the photo’s of AP’s son and his injuries before the trial. That DA needs to be in Jail!”

The pics more than likely came from the mother.

73. francheyes says: Sep 15, 2014 3:39 PM

Everyone has their opinion on what child abuse is, and isn’t. Only the eyes of the court can decide who’s guilty, and until that time it should be innocent until proven guilty. I’m not an advocate of any physical abuse, but I am a fan of this country and the rights provided to each of us. I say let him play, and leave the judgment to the courts and the NFL.

74. nflgiant says: Sep 15, 2014 3:45 PM

His other child was killed last year by an abuser,now I hope A.P. learns from this.

75. hypocrisyrules says: Sep 15, 2014 3:45 PM

For those of you saying that because he was treated this way as a child, it isn’t his fault, what about Rice then? If he grew up in a world where abuse against women was no big deal then why was everyone so ready to judge him. Sorry the NFL made a statement with Rice the same should be done with AP.

76. jiminauburn says: Sep 15, 2014 3:48 PM

Hey, the kid should quit complaining. At least he got to meet his father, unlike many of his other children.

77. jiminauburn says: Sep 15, 2014 3:49 PM

@francheyes
    have you seen the pictures? Looks like way more than simple discipline.

78. chocopoppy says: Sep 15, 2014 3:51 PM

Well written response by AP……..er, his agent that is!

79. leatherface2012 says: Sep 15, 2014 3:51 PM

stuffed leaves in his mouth…………..enough said

80. packerenglishmajor says: Sep 15, 2014 3:54 PM

Isn’t one entitled to a jury of one’s peers?
    Doesn’t that mean judging him is up to his fellow East-Texans?

Does his behavior seem negligent to East-Texans?
    Or does it reflect community norms?

I’ve yet to hear anyone ask to be judged by internet trolls, would you?

81. bullcharger says: Sep 15, 2014 3:54 PM

gochargersgo says:Sep 15, 2014 3:09 PM

shumagorath says:
    Sep 15, 2014 2:58 PM

4 year olds dude.”

————–

No one would like that… AP definitely deserves his day in court, as does anyone who has been charged with a crime. You have to admit though that the information that has been made available to the public kind of lays out the facts of the case pretty well. He definitely hit a child with a switch causing cuts and bruises.

That doesn’t mean he will be found guilty but I do understand why the court of public opinion is already judging him.

82. francheyes says: Sep 15, 2014 4:01 PM

@jiminauburn

Yes I did. What I’m stating, because you obviously didn’t read what I wrote, is that it is up to the judicial system to decide his fate. Not a rube like yourself.

83. jimmysee says: Sep 15, 2014 4:01 PM

From a Packers fan, AP, those are the right words. Glad to hear the contrition, no excuses, no explanation.

84. bushwoodcc says: Sep 15, 2014 4:02 PM

He took a switch to a 4 year old and drew blood. Whether or not he considers himself a child abuser he has committed an act of child abuse.

Does that mean he won’t learn from this incident? Of course not. However, given what his son said about what “Daddy Peterson” did to him and the pictures we have seen I am glad that the Grand Jury indicted him.

Sorry, but an adult never mind a 6’1″ 220 man does not need to take a switch to a 4 year old to implement discipline. The fact the AP saw nothing wrong with that at the time speaks volumes.

A well written statement from his lawyer should not distract anyone from what he has done, nor excuse him for it.

A 4 year old for Heaven’s sake. Multiple cuts and bruises. A tree branch to a 4 year old’s bare skin.

Let’s not forget Peterson has indirectly placed some of the blame for the severity of the beating directly on the 4 year old because he didn’t cry. Peterson also estimates he hit his 4 year old son with the switch 10 to 15 times. So drawing blood isn’t enough to stop beating a 4 year old but crying would have been?

Somehow or another I find it hard to believe that He is not a child abuser. Let’s be honest, if the kid had time to heal up before going home AP wouldn’t have learned a thing from this. He is sorry because it went public, not because he hurt his son. His texts show a remarkable lack of concern for the child.

85. hypocrisyrules says: Sep 15, 2014 4:02 PM

packerenglishmajor says:
    Sep 15, 2014 3:54 PM
    Isn’t one entitled to a jury of one’s peers?
    Doesn’t that mean judging him is up to his fellow East-Texans?

Does his behavior seem negligent to East-Texans?
    Or does it reflect community norms?

I’ve yet to hear anyone ask to be judged by internet trolls, would you?

Ray Rice was wasn’t he? He was given probation, but yet he was released from Ravens and probably banned for life. Just saying they made their precedent now they should step up and keep it going.

And by your standard if most people beat women where someone grew up then, yeah it is ok to beat women. Child abuse like domestic violence should not be tolerated.

86. tooyoungfortwo says: Sep 15, 2014 4:03 PM

toastingpoe says:
    Sep 15, 2014 2:59 PM

**** Actually the child abuse laws in both Minnesota and Texas are defined by intent. Someone can not be legally guilty if the injuries a child obtained during physical discipline were accidental. Look it up.

87. richie078 says: Sep 15, 2014 4:06 PM

+1 for Peterson, -1 for the Liberals.

I love it whenever Liberals lose.

88. jm91rs says: Sep 15, 2014 4:06 PM

Obviously he made a big mistake, seems like he regrets how far he took it (even in the texts to the kid’s mom, which he had no idea would ever become public). He’ll pay a price financially (endorsements, contract possibly), he’ll probably get some community service, he’ll get suspended (hopefully, seems like a fitting punishment) and he’ll never whip his kid again with a tree branch.
    On a somewhat related note, I wonder how many kids this guy has and what kind of relationship he has with them if one of them calls him “Daddy Peterson”.

89. bonniebengal says: Sep 15, 2014 4:09 PM

I believe him. I also like the fact that he is being honest and upfront, unlike Ray Rice. I don’t think that there will be any secret video coming out later to prove him a liar.

I like the fact that he has spoken with a counselor and is re-evaluating his approach to discipline and I believe that he was doing as he had been raised to do, and is open to change. I also get that he feels that strong discipline is the way to keep your kids from getting into trouble their whole lives, but the way he went about it was wrong, and he is willing to change that.

Quit the witch hunt and let the guy change, learn, and grow. He needs to take his penalties, both legal and NFL, but this is a rehabilitation that is already starting to happen.

90. mpgd1223 says: Sep 15, 2014 4:13 PM

“Someone can not be legally guilty if the injuries a child obtained during physical discipline were accidental.”

Accidental? How is whipping your child with a tree branch, seeing bleeding, and continuing to beet him “accidental”?

He knew exactly what he was doing.

91. patsfansincegrogan says: Sep 15, 2014 4:15 PM

He needs to own up before he gets any forgiveness.
    “I am not a child abuser”
    But you did abuse that child on that day.

“I have to live with the fact that when I disciplined my son the way I was disciplined as a child, I caused an injury that I never intended or thought would happen. I know that many people disagree with the way I disciplined my child. I also understand after meeting with a psychologist that there are other alternative ways of disciplining a child that may be more appropriate.”

He abused a 4 year old, and in this statement, he still things he didn’t do anything wrong. His texts to the mom conceded he was wrong more than this self serving statement.
    Here he is denying he did anything wrong. He is saying it is ok to hit like he did because he was hit the same way, it is ok because this time the injuries were an accident. And there are alternatives, suggesting that he doesn’t think what he did was wrong, he is just saying he will consider alternative discipline, because many people disagree with him(but he still doesn’t think it s wrong).

92. hypocrisyrules says: Sep 15, 2014 4:17 PM

@BonnieBengal

Where did you see Rice was a liar? The Ravens have said he told them exactly what happened, he never said he didn’t hit his wife. He also issued a statement much like this. Where was the compassion and willingness to let him learn and grow from his mistake?

93. thetooloftools says: Sep 15, 2014 4:18 PM

ONE BIG DISCLAIMER.

94. murphyjr1031 says: Sep 15, 2014 4:19 PM

The responses on this board are very sad. It is impossible for us to know his level of regret and sincerity, but we do know whatever happened, a grand jury did not indict him the first time.

Many people in the south were raised with corporal punishment, and in fact many children are still disciplined in school in that manner in Texas. It is ironic that likely in that very county a child is going home today with a red bottom administered under the watchful eye of two educators. I assure you a paddle leaves marks.

In this case he may have well went to far, and he has been charged and will answer to that. We don’t have to agree or support his actions, but we can say at least he has acknowledged his transgression and that is a positive step.

He harmed no one on this board so forgiveness is not ours to give, nor is the punishment ours to decide, but as parents we all make mistakes with our children.

Beheading an innocent journalist in the desert on webcam is torture. Shooting an unarmed kid with his hands up is murder. This is a person who spanked his kid and it went to far. That can happen because corporal punishment is generally an avenue for a parent to release their own anger disguised in the vernacular of a “teaching moment”.

The good from this is the coversation it has created in society. Physical violence is a cycle and generational, and the attention this and the Rice affair has brought to the forefront will hopefully raise awareness.

It is great to have an opinion, but before we all vote to label A.P. a monster who should share a cell with a real monster like Sandusky, maybe we can stop and be thankful that that our wives, friends, parents and kids were not so unforgiving of us when we made a terrible mistake, because none among us has not recieved unwarranted and undeserved understanding once or twice.

95. Ed Bandell says: Sep 15, 2014 4:19 PM

It doesn’t matter whether you “intended” to hurt your child or not. Do you think it feels good to be hit with a switch/tree branch? What exactly do you “intend” to do when you hit a child with something like that?

You shouldn’t have to BEAT your child with your hand or anything else in order to discipline them. If that is the way you raise your child then you need help on how to become a better parent.

96. patsfansincegrogan says: Sep 15, 2014 4:20 PM

He needs to own up before he gets any forgiveness.
    “I am not a child abuser”
    But you did abuse that child on that day.

Here he is denying he did anything wrong. He is saying it is ok to hit like he did because he was hit the same way, it is ok because this time the injuries were an accident. And although there are alternatives, he doesn’t think what he did was wrong, he is just saying he will consider alternative discipline, because many people disagree with him(but he still doesn’t think it s wrong).

He abused a 4 year old, and in this statement, he still thinks he didn’t do anything wrong. His texts to the mom conceded he was wrong more than this self serving statement does.
    AP does not deserve any sympathy or understanding, as he still does not understand what he did was wrong himself. (reposted as there is no edit)

97. sf1045 says: Sep 15, 2014 4:20 PM

The fact that maybe your father hit U does not mean it is right to hit your son. Amateur Father. There R other ways to teach right from wrong.mi would like to know what his son did to deserve this and we might C some stupid reason.

98. kagey7 says: Sep 15, 2014 4:34 PM

I guess I am just a softie but if you were hitting your child and you could see you were drawing blood – wouldn’t you stop because you love your child and hate seeing them in that much pain? To continue blow after blow that was causing bleeding is beyond me. Middle Eastern tactics.

99. robmix8 says: Sep 15, 2014 4:35 PM

what kind of society is it where a man is judged & lose his right to provide for a kid he loves & and we as his peers are ready to condemn him but can rationalize why a young teenager cant even go get some snacks without being harassed & ultimately losing his LIFE!! & we’re ok with that while a MURDERER WALKS to this day virtually scott free

100. jcirill says: Sep 15, 2014 4:35 PM

It’s cute how people actually think AP had anything to do with writing that.

101. southsidetommy says: Sep 15, 2014 4:36 PM

He loves his 4 YEAR OLD son so much he humiliated him, shoved leaves into his mouth and beat him over and over again. He loves him so much he beat him until he had open wounds.
    Yeah, nothing says love like opening a wound on your toddlers scrotum.
    What an absolute joke. There is no way you love your child if you can do those sort of things to them. Adrian Peterson doesn’t have the first clue as to what love means and neither does anyone else who condones any type of excessive force in disciplining a child. It is pretty easy to discipline a child without using physical abuse.

102. GO FOR TWO SPORTS says: Sep 15, 2014 4:37 PM

So basically he is saying if his father did not beat him with a stick he would not be playing in the NFL…
    Wheres my kids I got to go get a stick right now!

Hey by the way how many kids does this guy have? I remember one of them died last year that he never seen in his life and then pretended he was so sad “i lost my son but I’m still going to play in honor of him”
    This guy never even seen that kid! But ofcourse the media painted it as Petersen was Father of The Year and he spent every day with him and Petersen is such a brave man for playing this children’s game with such a heavy heart…Petersen did not care 1 bit about that kid, that kid never even crossed his mind.
    I actually heard from someone pretty close to THIS situation that Petersen beat his kid because that kid beat him in Madden and got mad cause he said “The kid cheated in the game”
    I’m not joking, this is the story I heard and I’m 99.9% know if fact just because who I heard it from

103. bonniebengal says: Sep 15, 2014 4:38 PM

sf1045 says:
    Sep 15, 2014 4:20 PM

_________________

That’s exactly what he said in his statement. He’s learning with a counselor that there are other ways to discipline

104. joebone says: Sep 15, 2014 4:41 PM

If AP was smart enough to write that, he would be smart enough to know he can’t beat a 4-year old and use the defense that it must be ok since his pappy did it to him.

If any of us did that we would be in jail.

105. arun4fun7 says: Sep 15, 2014 4:42 PM

murphyjr1031 says:

“Many people in the south were raised with corporal punishment, and in fact many children are still disciplined in school in that manner in Texas.”

Before you start a rant with an opening like that, you should know that Texas is NOT considered to be part of the “south” and its cultural/tradition! Texas was an independent republic, not a group of seceded states! Then you go on to compare A.P. to Sandusky in the monster category. They are different beasts and there is no comparison! What A.P. did is wrong and it should be acknowledged as such. Since he is famous and rich, he will get a legal slap on the wrist and the NFL will try to ride out the waves they are with Ray Rice and his storm.

If the NFL was TRULY concerened about women and their future ticket holders/fans (today’s youth) those two males would be FOREVER BANNED from the league along with those who behave like them!

106. cornerstone2001 says: Sep 15, 2014 4:43 PM

Teach him right from wrong???

Yes, like disappear from your childs life, hear he got beaten to death…and not seem like u care

Yes. like whipping your child, stuffing leaves in his mouth and threatening him if he tells.

Sounds like you just are teaching him the wrong part

107. wvufan82 says: Sep 15, 2014 4:50 PM

In summary: “My bad! We’re cool right?”

108. Brandon in Northwest Suburbia says: Sep 15, 2014 4:56 PM

“The only thing this kid learned was to curl up in a ball whenever Adrian is around.”

——————————————————-

I’ll bet he learned never to beat the crap out of his little brother again…

Or rather, he could have. The new lesson might be that he can do as he pleases without having to worry about anything worse than a “time out”, because otherwise “Daddy Peterson” or any other parental figure will go to jail if they spank him.

I think it’s clear to any reasonable person that Peterson took it too far, but it seems to me that many of the “more indignant than thou” crowd believe any form of corporal punishment is abuse.

That part isn’t up for debate. The law clearly defines corporal punishment as legal. To say that “intent isn’t a factor” is to convenient ignore that fact and replace it with personal philosophy.

The debate for a jury isn’t whether or not corporal punishment is abuse. It will be delineating punishment from abuse…of which intent will clearly be a significant factor.

109. draconian1111 says: Sep 15, 2014 5:02 PM

There were multiple cuts on the child’s body. If it wasn’t his intention to do that type of harm – all he had to do is STOP after the first cut…but he didn’t.
    Then, afterwards, he pretty much brags about tearing that ass up and getting the kid in the nuts.

Not buying the BS, AP.

110. savojah says: Sep 15, 2014 5:15 PM

Well AP, you are a child abuser, if you like it or not. Regardless of your intentions, you abused your son.

111. joanne1965 says: Sep 15, 2014 5:17 PM

HE BEAT THE CHILD UNTIL HE BLED…how the HELL is that NOT abuse…If this were a grown man you hit, you would be charged…Those of you who seem to think it is ok to BEAT a child are sick and perverted. Swats on the bottom are one thing…THE CHILD’S SKIN WAS BROKEN AND HE BLED…what part of that is NOT ABUSE? The child had leaves shoved into his mouth…How the hell is that NOT abuse? Sorry folks, but he IS an abuser and should be charged accordingly. If he did that to a team mate or opposing team member he would be punished…He isn’t smart enough to know the difference and he doesn’t truly seem to realize what he did was wrong…multi generational abuse is still rampant – both with children and spouse…He deserves to be punished to the fullest extent of the law…

112. bonniebengal says: Sep 15, 2014 5:24 PM

To hypocrisyrules: Rice lied to the NFL, although he told the truth to the Ravens. The stories he told were vastly different according to reports. That being said, I didn’t think he should be cut. I thought he should get a year suspension and have his counseling progress evaluated before he came back to the NFL. I think the same for Peterson.

113. mackcarrington says: Sep 15, 2014 5:29 PM

Peterson is dumber than a box of doughnuts. Don’t fall for this. I don’t understand how anyone can believe a word of that nonsense.

114. notwhoyouthinkitis says: Sep 15, 2014 5:30 PM

It is a “statement”. Which means it was entirely written by his legal team and is not his words.

115. igglesfan83 says: Sep 15, 2014 5:31 PM

He’s sorry, that’s excellent, he should be and I hope that in the years to come he can work on developing the restraint needed to avoid hurt his child while still disciplining him. I also hope his son can forgive him.

However, that’s not the issue at hand. The fact that he sounds sincere to some of you (though I think you should look the word up if you find this statement genuine) doesn’t change what he did.

The NFL has said time and again that the players are held to a higher standard. Peterson fell well below that standard and I hope the NFL bans him from the league. That’s the consequence for his poor judgement.

The rest of the world has to be accept consequences for their actions. He’s no different.

116. capegolfer says: Sep 15, 2014 5:38 PM

Classic roid rage. How else would you explain whipping a toddler with a branch? Don’t excuse his behavior.

117. paulsuh1989 says: Sep 15, 2014 5:41 PM

I think people forget get this was an NFL player who chose to use an instrument to beat his own child who’s 4 years old… maybe he’s trying to say “I’m sorry. I didn’t know I was hurting him that badly.. I’m just an NFL player”

118. granadafan says: Sep 15, 2014 5:54 PM

Jeez, many of you are pretty gullible. Adrian Peterson did NOT write that statement. His lawyer did. Anyone with even half a brain who has listened to him talk knows he’s incapable of writing with perfect grammar and with such clarity. He’s only “sorry” because he got caught. If he’s truly sorry, then let’s hear his REAL apology without reading some statement his lawyer wrote.

119. newjerseygiants says: Sep 15, 2014 6:04 PM

Ahhh……you stripped your 4 year-old child naked then proceeded to beat him senseless with a stick.

Yes….You ARE a child abuser.

120. tallskiwallski8 says: Sep 15, 2014 6:05 PM

I am not a perfect son. I am not a perfect husband. I am not a perfect parent, but I am, without a doubt, not a wife abuser. I am someone that punched his wife and did not intend to cause her any injury. No one can understand the hurt that I feel for my wife and for the harm I caused her. My goal is always to teach my wife right from wrong and that’s what I tried to do that day.
    I accept the fact that people feel very strongly about this issue and what they think about my conduct. Regardless of what others think, however, I love my wife very much and I will continue to try to become a better husband and person.

-Ray Rice.

121. jrod691 says: Sep 15, 2014 6:08 PM

@murphyjr1031 – Very well said. I couldn’t agree more. The guy screwed up–badly–and is owning up to his mistake. He is saying that disciplining your child with a switch is not necessarily wrong, but the way he did it on that day WAS wrong.

I don’t think he should get off scott free, but I also don’t think he deserves to be crucified the way he has been to date and I don’t think he deserves to have his lively hood taken away from him either.

Give the guy a punishment that fits the crime (which is definitely NOT a lifetime ban from the NFL or prison time), assign a social worker to confirm that he has changed his ways and move on.

122. jrod691 says: Sep 15, 2014 6:12 PM

Ed Bandell says:

————————————————

You seem to think that spanking your kids period is wrong. I have great parents and I was spanked as a kid (with their hand and belt). I will have no problem giving me kids a smack or two on the butt when they really screw up (although I won’t use a belt or any other object but my open hand). It’s an effective way to show young children that there are real world consequences for your actions and can/should be done in a way that it inflicts no real harm to the child.

AP took it way too far, but that doesn’t mean you’re a bad parent if you spank your kid.

123. ryanb66 says: Sep 15, 2014 6:13 PM

whatnojets says:Sep 15, 2014 3:02 PM

Did they smack you with the ruler over and over and over to the tune of like 20 smacks at one time? leave “open wounds” as it was described by the grand jury?

If AP “smacked” his kid one time for “doing something really bad” we would have never have heard about this story. its a story because he was excessive in what he did….to A 4 YEAR OLD.

124. kennethlee1633 says: Sep 15, 2014 6:28 PM

This guy comes from monkeys, and just because his jail bird daddy treated him this way doesn’t mean it’s okay for him to treat a child this way. Someone should shove their switch up his rear end in jail to teach him how to behave.

125. lionsplayoffs says: Sep 15, 2014 6:28 PM

It’s amazing how many cases of ADHD and learning disabilities came about once parents stopped spanking their kids. It’s a rather large coincidence. Obviously AP flew off the handle, but he’s probably right that harsh discipline helped to keep him out of trouble. It’s wrong what he did, but I’m no longer sure his heart wasn’t in the right place. Excellent statement written by his lawyer as well.

126. draconian1111 says: Sep 15, 2014 6:37 PM

So, you beat your kid the way you were beat and…somehow, expected a different result?
    Expect anyone at all to believe you wrote this statement when you have the IQ of a…turnip?

Statement obviously written by an attorney.
    Never intended; it’s the way I was disciplined; learned alternative methods of discipline (no kidding!) – basically all It isn’t my fault, I didn’t know better, yada yada…..
    What you REALLY never intended was the pictures of the beating to be seen. The tweets of you bragging about the beating – well, you probably never intended everyone to read them as well. You never intended to get caught – the beating itself – was FULLY intentional and no statement of remorse will EVER change that. You were ANGRY and you took it out on your 4 year old child – THAT is child abuse – NOT discipline. Your statement of essentially “not knowing any better and not meaning to do it” doesn’t change that you DID do it.
    You are BUSTED AP. Take your medicine, get some help, apologize to the child and pray that one day he can REALLY forgive you (he doesn’t owe it to you!) – but stop with the CRAP which is “your” statement. Your real statement should have read “I did it, I thought I was right at the time but I got out of control and there is no excuse. I am getting help and learning from this and hoping that my son can forgive me one day” Don’t need a lawyer to write that…..

127. pleasefiregoodell says: Sep 15, 2014 7:07 PM

He sounds real honest. Wonder if he could give Goodell honesty lessons?

128. mikep363839 says: Sep 15, 2014 7:43 PM

I don’t care who wrote that statement when nit comes to AP I believe it’s true

129. kennethlee1633 says: Sep 15, 2014 7:44 PM

He sounds real honest. Wonder if he could give Goodell honesty lessons?

lol ya right. How foolish are you ? This monkey is being investigated for another abuse case as we speak a houston tv station just stated.

130. pittsburghdamned says: Sep 15, 2014 7:47 PM

Leave him alone.

His Momma done beat him the same way, which makes it alright to pass on, rather than prevent from ever happening to a child again.

Everyone from the south beats their children.

131. worknman24hours says: Sep 15, 2014 8:26 PM

Get out of Adrian’s family.

He’s the man trying to teach his kid some rules and that the world is a very harsh place that you need to pay attention to your dad when he tells you to do something.

The age is important because you cannot start too early to stop your kid from not respecting what you say.

I would say that Adrian will not be whipping his child with as much force from now on but he will certainly make sure the child is taught to be respectful and a good member of society.

Welcome back,Adrian-play your heart out ,man.

132. bspurloc says: Sep 16, 2014 2:10 AM

FOUR YEARS OLD.

u r not teaching a four year old anything by causing them bodily harm.

FOUR YEARS OLD, so all the NUNs did this, Teacher did this, Bus driver did this all that nonsense does not apply… they did NOT do this to a FOUR YEAR OLD.

All u accomplished from this is harming a FOUR YEAR OLD and letting them know as a parent u r totally clueless about how to raise a FOUR YEAR OLD…
    What on earth did he do to this child during the TERRIBLE TWOS???

133. itzajokepeople says: Sep 16, 2014 1:54 PM

if you actually think beating children at any age actually helps society you are obviously affected (negatively) by the beating you received as a child. One commenter above even suggested ADD and learning disabilities increased because of the LACK of beatings. I would bet my entire savings that commenter is struggling in life on so many levels.

Discipline can be taught in many ways the problem is that it takes time. People prefer beatings because it is quick and short-term. And if you have not figured out in this life yet that shortcuts only get you in trouble then you have a lot to learn still.

Also, to say that beatings worked for me and everyone else I know is a ridiculous statement. If we were good judges of our own character and could be honest with our ourselves (especially publicly) we wouldn’t have half the problems we do in this world.

One last comment because this really pisses me off, THERE IS ONLY ONE LESSON LEARNED BY A TODDLER WHEN THEY ARE HIT AND THAT IS THE BIGGER PERSON MAKES THE RULES AND BENDS THE RULES. And bending the rules is the key since we continue to tell children that hitting and violence is not the answer unless of course you are a parent from the South as a lot of people like to point out. We stop violence like Dr. King, Gandhi and even Malcolm X in the end, had wanted, and this world would be a better place. It is as simple as that in our complex world. Oh and to be clear here is a definition:
    vi·o·lence (noun)-
    : the use of physical force to harm someone, to damage property, etc.
    : great destructive force or energy

134. itzajokepeople says: Sep 16, 2014 5:43 PM

every time i see a comment stating “I believe him”, “sounds sincere”, I want to just shake that person. believing his sincerity or not is ridiculous and not the point. child abuse is simply harming your child, one time. two times. or a dozen. one time is too many. and intent as far as I can recall is not relevant. I can intend to not hurt a boy but if I do..case closed. I suppose I should be grateful for dumb people because it only makes me look that much smarter. AD had better apologize and he had better seek help. that is a requirement not an option. anything else he does that does not fit that he should have the book thrown at him, and i mean literally. wait is that too violent? we can’t do that to adults you say? or but a kid that weighs maybe 35 lbs. go to town on, right? because it only helps them learn right from wrong. people used to believe blacks were inferior, women were better spent pregnant and home, seat belts were for sissies, and on and on. stop using the past as some ideal place for how things should be. there is only one good thing about the past and that is that is the past. you get the idea.

135. brownsclown says: Sep 19, 2014 12:38 PM

Good move! The Vikes don’t want to create a conflict with the Trent Richardson exchange in Indy!

136. dyn0myte says: Sep 19, 2014 3:38 PM

The guy Adrian Peterson pays to write stuff like this does seem to be genuinely sorry.

That’s gotta count for something…

137. norwegianwud says: Sep 20, 2014 9:57 PM

I’m not a Bible guy but I do have to share the saying: “Judge not or lest ye be judged.”
    Admitting that he is not perfect is a truth. Are any of us perfect parents? I’m not. I’m sorry I’m not. Sounds like he is too. If we were all in the spotlight, I’m guessing better than 90% have regrets about disciplining a child in one way or another.