Eagles looking for a safety in trade

Allen Getty Images

The 5-1 Eagles aren’t fully content with the roster that got them there.  With the trade deadline two days away, the Eagles are looking to add a starting-caliber safety, according to a league source.

The Eagles are happy with free safety Malcolm Jenkins, but they’d like to upgrade at the strong safety position, where Nate Allen (pictured) is currently the starter.

Potential targets aren’t currently known.  The first place to look would be the rosters of teams that are, as a practical matter, out of the postseason hunt.

The annual trade deadline expires Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Eagles looking for a safety in trade”
  1. Marv says: Oct 26, 2014 10:36 AM

The Bucs could totally blow up their roster and ship not only Jackson but also Dashon Goldson.

2. cobrala2 says: Oct 26, 2014 10:39 AM

I have read often that Nate Allen has a great attitude but when he makes mistakes they are MAJOR blunders. I don’t like to talk down high character players on my team but I’ve been wanting the Eagles to move on from him for a very long time now.

That said, within the scope of our secondary, I’d far rather get a trade for a cornerback. Fletcher and Williams may not make the major blunders that Allen does, but they get abused on a regular basis.

3. JMClarkent says: Oct 26, 2014 10:41 AM

Charles Woodson is cheap and would probably love a chance to see the playoffs again.

4. brahmabullgc says: Oct 26, 2014 10:41 AM

Marv the Bucs are stuck with mediocre Goldson and his awful contract

5. whhaaat says: Oct 26, 2014 10:42 AM

A cb to replace Williams or Fletcher also while you at it

6. gbfanforever says: Oct 26, 2014 10:47 AM

Trading goldson isn’t a rosy scenario for the bucs from the standpoint of the dead cap money from his signing bonus it would create next season.

7. gotthepebbleoutthemastershand says: Oct 26, 2014 10:50 AM

Seems to me that they had opportunities for a strong safety last offseason. However I guess my next question would be, is Earl Wolfe that far behind in talent to Nate Allen?

8. jeremykays135 says: Oct 26, 2014 10:58 AM

That would probably not be a bad idea lol

9. dankinator says: Oct 26, 2014 11:01 AM

Time for Colts to dump Landry!!

10. johnlongdongsilver says: Oct 26, 2014 11:07 AM

Chip is such a beast, he is gunning for the Super Bowl in year two.

11. johnlongdongsilver says: Oct 26, 2014 11:26 AM

Tyvon Branch, what do my fellow Eagles fans think about picking him up? I don’t have PFF so I don’t know how scouting sites have him graded but he’s a historically solid safety, with exceptional athletic ability stuck in Oakland.

12. Harve Gulch Cowboy says: Oct 26, 2014 11:38 AM

They’re gonna get smoked by the Cowboys anyway. Better find a safety that can take getting trucked by Murray 10-15 times.

13. macjacmccoy says: Oct 26, 2014 11:51 AM

Mark Barron maybe? He has been a disappointment in TB and could probably be if it from a fresh start. I doubt they would go for goldson. They could have gotten him for nothing not to long ago and had no interest. At least for the money he made. Plus he’s been garbage. Allen has been better.

Its probably a long shot bc he’s so young and I dont see the Eagles giving up more then a 3rd for him. But I guess it all depends on how Lovie thinks he fits in his system.

14. revelation123 says: Oct 26, 2014 11:52 AM

Green Bay has 3 starting caliber Safeties. Good luck getting one in a trade though.

15. chuckbergeydawk says: Oct 26, 2014 12:17 PM

I’d easily give a 2 for Barron, if possible.

16. terrellblowens says: Oct 26, 2014 10:04 PM

After the crap Nate Allen pulled on the last Cardinals TD he better get ready for the bench.

17. kastout11 says: Oct 27, 2014 12:49 PM

I think the Eagles have really given every chance to Nate Allen to show the fans that Philly got the better end of the McNabb trade, but he plain stinks. They have been throwing him out there to get toaster for 3-4 years now, it is time to move on to a better safety. I thought Earl Wolfe was supposed to be the guy, but I guess they’re looking outside the organization.

18. ninozlatino says: Oct 28, 2014 11:32 AM

Earl Wolfe is a 5th rounder. You knew we were in trouble last year when they were counting on the guy. A 5th round rookie? If that caliber player is your only salvation you are in trouble. We addressed it in free agency but we really needed 2 guys. Everyone talked smack about Jenkins. Turned out to be one of our 2 defensive MVP’s of the first half with Conner Barwin. I’d love an upgrade. Sorely needed. I hope Chancellor doesn’t resign that would be diesel.