Skip to content

Report: Raiders releasing safety Tyvon Branch

Getty Images

The Raiders are reportedly parting ways with one of their starters in the secondary.

Oakland will release strong safety Tyvon Branch, Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com reported Thursday night.

When healthy, Branch has been a productive starter, notching more than 100 tackles in every season in which he’s played all 16 games (2009, 2010, 2011). However, injuries have limited the 28-year-old Branch to a combined five games in the last two seasons. He missed 13 games with a broken foot in 2014, and the previous season, he sat out 14 games with a broken leg.

Branch was slated to make $5.5 million in salary in 2015, per NFL Players Association data.

With Branch departing, the Raiders could turn to Brandian Ross at strong safety. Ross notched 55 tackles and intercepted two passes in 2014. He is slated to be a restricted free agent.

The Raiders re-signed starting free safety Charles Woodson last month.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
46 Responses to “Report: Raiders releasing safety Tyvon Branch”
  1. Cameronm says: Feb 26, 2015 9:54 PM

    One of the few safeties to cover Gates consistently

  2. raydahhs75 says: Feb 26, 2015 9:57 PM

    A sad day for Raiders fans, but not an unexpected one. A premier safety when healthy, you can’t pay that money to someone with his recent injury history. I hope he’s back somehow, but if not, I wish him the best in the next phase of his football career!

  3. u4iadman says: Feb 26, 2015 10:02 PM

    Good move by Raiders…best ability is availability, and unfortunately Tyvon wasnt around.

    Bummer, he was a solid contributor when he played.

    Team needs a rebuild with nearly all young talent, not the aged dudes from last years failed free agency.

  4. stoptrippn says: Feb 26, 2015 10:11 PM

    Get Taylor mays. He played in Norton system at usc. #winnow

  5. peytonmanningsforehead says: Feb 26, 2015 10:32 PM

    Still better then anyone on the Chokers roster. Losers.

  6. rawdoggy says: Feb 26, 2015 10:38 PM

    Good player, but we can’t take anymore chances. He’s been hurt the entire contract.

  7. gobolts says: Feb 26, 2015 10:40 PM

    The the number of games Branch played in last year will match Jokeland’s wins this year.

    What a sorry excuse for a once proud organization.

  8. irishkevy says: Feb 26, 2015 10:44 PM

    I wish he would of stayed healthy! Very productive player. Best of luck to him!

  9. cuzzinjoey says: Feb 26, 2015 10:58 PM

    Kind of surprised RM won’t give him another year to prove value. Financially, only saves $3M against cap.

    I like Ross as an up and coming player but would like to see Samuel re-signed for depth.

  10. goraidersgospurs says: Feb 26, 2015 11:00 PM

    I think it was cheaper to keep him, at least one more year!!!

  11. johndylanthe1st says: Feb 26, 2015 11:03 PM

    Kansas City!

    Kc,Mo rooouge

  12. mrneto72 says: Feb 26, 2015 11:16 PM

    So long Tyvon…good luck!

  13. johnlongdongsilver says: Feb 26, 2015 11:17 PM

    Is this dude even good enough in coverage for Chip Kelly to want to bring him to Philly?

  14. gomybirdsgo says: Feb 26, 2015 11:17 PM

    Man, this guy ? I would love to have this guys talent on my Eagles. But two years in a row with injuries (even if they are bone injuries ). Great player though should play on a cheap one year deal.

  15. jjfootball says: Feb 26, 2015 11:39 PM

    IT WAS TIME, BUT THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE TYVON!

  16. hanspard says: Feb 26, 2015 11:42 PM

    Branch is a tremendous run support guy, especially considering his size, but for a college corner he didn’t play the ball well.

  17. axraiders says: Feb 26, 2015 11:57 PM

    Good move. To many injuries. And he can’t cover anyone

  18. humb0lt says: Feb 27, 2015 12:04 AM

    I would not sign any player who has only played for the Raiders. The losing culture has been bred into them and I wouldn’t want that stench in my locker room.

  19. lunarpie says: Feb 27, 2015 12:19 AM

    Even with his last two years being injured Branch could easily be a difference maker next year. Not so sure about this one Reggie. Have to do some homework on Brandon Ross.

  20. thekyle1591 says: Feb 27, 2015 12:23 AM

    Redskins should grab this guy.. He’s a beast who will be massively undervalued due to injuries.

  21. swagger52 says: Feb 27, 2015 1:05 AM

    Ozzie was wrong. Matt Elam doesn’t have to play better this year. Sign Tyvon and cut Elam.

  22. drummer1279 says: Feb 27, 2015 1:15 AM

    A great player when healthy, but seems to always be hurt the last few years. The Raiders paid him a lot more money when he was hurt, than when healthy. Tough break for him and the Raiders.

    I would like the Raiders to give him a one year deal, lower salary, and see if the trend changes. But I’m sure another team will pick him up. I wish him the best, sure wish he’d stay. I think he might help turn the corner, and make up for the missed time he’s had, and all the money he’s collected from the last contract. I know I wouldn’t feel good taking all that $ and not earning it. I’d hope he feel’s the same.

  23. ez0682 says: Feb 27, 2015 1:19 AM

    Eagles as a back up to laron landry or Bernard pollard

  24. lovethehate401 says: Feb 27, 2015 1:22 AM

    Hey Phily, what are you waiting for?

  25. silverandblack052099 says: Feb 27, 2015 1:31 AM

    He will land somewhere. He’s a solid safety.

    Good luck Tyvon.

  26. flybono24 says: Feb 27, 2015 2:17 AM

    Ross is garbage. He’s terrible in coverage and can’t tackle. I have to believe this means they’re moving Woodson to SS, and signing/drafting a new starting FS.

    Rahim Moore is the guy I hope they look at.

  27. chaunce922 says: Feb 27, 2015 2:48 AM

    Granted hes been hurt the last 2 years. But when healthy hes a top 10 safety.

    What i think happened is they approached him wanting to restructure or take a pay cut and he was unwilling, if not for that hed still be a Raider.

    I think hes worth the money hes getting paid, its a shame hes had the injuries but he plays up to the paycheck usually..

    Watch him go to the Patriots or the Broncos and kill it this season, imma be so pissed.

    Thank goodness theres a deep secondary class in FA and the Draft this year, i think we’ll be fine in the end.

  28. joetoronto says: Feb 27, 2015 4:35 AM

    Branch was just about to break out a couple of years ago and then he sustained injuries to his legs and feet.

    If he can stay healthy, he can really help a team that needs a veteran safety.

    All the best to Tyvon Branch.

  29. raider4ever510 says: Feb 27, 2015 5:37 AM

    Tyvon has always had a knack for being a sure tackler playing up in the box and has very good speed to run down ball carriers..with that said when he is in pass coverage teams know its not his strength and they attack him when hes left alone in coverage…he sort of reminds me of an old Raider safety from the 90s Eddie Anderson .there fast straight line speed is nice to have but way to stiff to stop and go back pedal and all that stuff…I would like to keep Branch but maybe on early down against running teams because his tackling skills hes worth keeping if hes healthy but really cant blame Raider management with all the 4 and 5 receiver formations teams have now…

  30. djcologne says: Feb 27, 2015 6:57 AM

    When healthy Tyvon Branch is a beast and I wish him the very best if he signs outside of the AFC West! Hard worker, class guy….someone is gonna get one heck of a football player on the cheap!

  31. babygaga19 says: Feb 27, 2015 7:14 AM

    What a blow! Raiders were so damn good with him!

  32. JMClarkent says: Feb 27, 2015 7:25 AM

    I have been waiting for this move for the last few years. Branch gets tackles because the front seven is so weak, he isn’t a great/ impactful tackler.

    His coverage skills are mediocre, he doesn’t cause turnovers and frankly it is difficult to tell when he is playing or when he isn’t (which is often).

  33. araidersfan says: Feb 27, 2015 7:34 AM

    Too bad Branch was injured most of the time as he was an asset when healthy. Any comparisons between Branch and McFadden based on injury history are laughable because unlike Branch, McFadden was also a slug when he was healthy.

  34. babyteal1 says: Feb 27, 2015 7:37 AM

    Welcome to the Redskins!!!

  35. raiderspy1 says: Feb 27, 2015 7:57 AM

    Thanks for the time you have wore the silver and black. thank you so much for all your effort as a Raider. May God bless you and your family in the days to come. No matter where you go or who you play for, you will always be a Raider. Good luck and God bless.

  36. amaf21 says: Feb 27, 2015 8:06 AM

    looks like the Raiders are doing a little roster pruning.

  37. slick50ks says: Feb 27, 2015 9:55 AM

    Leave it to the fade, who have more cap space than anyone in history, to pinch pennies on actual NFL players.

    Time to sign some more 30+ sloths to the worst roster in the league.

  38. Super Creepy Rob Lowe says: Feb 27, 2015 9:56 AM

    Released or paroled?

  39. raidernation210 says: Feb 27, 2015 11:28 AM

    gobolts says:
    Feb 26, 2015 10:40 PM

    The the number of games Branch played in last year will match Jokeland’s wins this year.

    What a sorry excuse for a once proud organization.

    __________________________________

    Funny considering the Chargers have never been considered a proud organization. how can you with ZERO SUPER BOWLS

  40. radrntn says: Feb 27, 2015 12:58 PM

    He been the highest paid raider the last couple of years…the actual cap # for him this season was 9.6 million…..Raiders will have an extra 3 million in cap space this year, and another 11 million over the next two years…..

    what it really says is branch was unwilling to re-do his contract for the benefit of his team….so i say c-ya, don’t let the door hit you on the way out..you would think if you got 12 million the past couple of years for playing only 5 games….you would be at least willing to re-do something…just says he has way to much rust from sitting around for a couple of years….put a fork in him, he is done.

  41. spankmarley says: Feb 27, 2015 1:00 PM

    humb0lt says:
    Feb 27, 2015 12:04 AM
    I would not sign any player who has only played for the Raiders. The losing culture has been bred into them and I wouldn’t want that stench in my locker room.

    ___________________________________

    Based on your evaluation, perfect fit for San Diego? Stay irrelevant San Diego!!!

  42. theghostofaldavis says: Feb 27, 2015 1:15 PM

    I was always hopeful regarding the ‘promise’ of Tyvon – his early seasons indicated that he really would grow into a truly premier force in the secondary. Of course, this is what led to his fat contract. Unfortunately, injuries over the last two seasons derailed those hopes.

    I don’t have any doubts that IF he stays healthy, he’ll be considered a bargain for whatever team he signs with – especially because, due to his last two years, he’ll likely sign for a ‘prove it’ type of deal. I also don’t have any doubts that, once that happens, all the haters will point to how ‘raider-like’ it is to let talent get away; however, with the injuries, there’s no way we can justify keeping him at his numbers.

    I also believe that the play of Brandion Ross – yes, THAT Brandion Ross – is what makes this easier to digest. While us Raider fans know all too well how poorly he HAS played in his first go around with us, the 2nd half of this past season saw him truly begin to develop – angles, anticipation, tackling, actual picks – everything you need at that position. I think a BIG part of that was working with Anderson (you know, the same guy who Sir Charles said keeping was the only reason he’d come back to play and credits him for helping with his full transition to playing Safety). Heck, even Asante looked good out there at times and our Safety’s were decimated last year with injuries.

    Best of luck with your future Tyvon (as long as you stay out of the AFC West) – you’ll ALWAYS be a Raider!

  43. radrntn says: Feb 27, 2015 1:24 PM

    With Branch being cut, as he was atop of all Raiders cap #, expect now Schaub’s 5.5 million, Woodley’s 5.1 million,and MJD 2.5 million……(and maybe Antonio Smith 4 million)

    With those cuts you have more than enough to pay Suh……use the other 50 million on guys like OC Hudson, RG Iupati, MLB Foster, and /or TE Thomas. (resign Streater)

    Draft Williams or Fowler at #4, and Get Strong, or Green-Beckham in Rd 2……..

  44. raiderh20boy says: Feb 27, 2015 2:21 PM

    Actually Marcus Robinson helped a great deal with the improvement of our DBs. Now he takes over the lead DB coach with Rod Woodson coming back to assist with that group!

  45. raiderapologist says: Feb 27, 2015 5:10 PM

    gobolts says: Feb 26, 2015 10:40 PM

    The the number of games Branch played in last year will match Jokeland’s wins this year.

    What a sorry excuse for a once proud organization.
    ——————–
    At least the Raiders can say, “I used to be Somebody!” The Chargers haven’t done anything since 1963.

  46. raiderapologist says: Feb 27, 2015 5:13 PM

    humb0lt says: Feb 27, 2015 12:04 AM

    I would not sign any player who has only played for the Raiders. The losing culture has been bred into them and I wouldn’t want that stench in my locker room.
    —————–
    The 0 and forever Chargers locker room?

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!