AP

On Tuesday, Titans General Manager Ruston Webster said that he has had trade talks with teams regarding the second overall pick in the 2015 draft but that none of them have been with the Chargers.

According to Sal Paolantonio of ESPN, that isn’t convincing members of Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota’s camp that the Chargers won’t wind up taking a trip up the draft board to secure the Heisman Trophy winner’s services. Paolantonio reported on Wednesday that the feeling around the quarterback is that the Chargers are part of a two-team competition to make a deal that nets them Mariota.

The other team won’t come as much of a surprise to anyone who’s been following Mariota buzz through the pre-draft process. It’s the Eagles and Mariota’s camp is joined by former Oregon defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti in the belief that Chip Kelly is still on the trail of the player he recruited to Oregon. Unsaid is what the two teams would be paying to move up the board, although there would seem to be a good chance that Philip Rivers or Sam Bradford would be involved in a deal that moved the Titans to a later spot in the first round.

The Rams, Jets and Browns are also mentioned as teams in the mix, which pretty well covers all the teams that have been linked with Mariota at one point or another in the process. So have the Titans, of course, and there figure to be a few more reports about their intentions before we finally find out what will happen with the No. 2 pick on Thursday.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Los Angeles Chargers, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
46 Responses to “Report: Mariota’s camp believes Chargers, Eagles trying to trade up to draft him”
  1. unitunite says: Apr 29, 2015 11:31 AM

I feel like a little girl. I can’t wait to see what happens with that #2 pick tomorrow!

2. greymares says: Apr 29, 2015 11:37 AM

While the Chargers are talking to Tennessee I believe Chip’s talking to Tampa Bay.

3. kayakattack says: Apr 29, 2015 11:41 AM

Teams just putting all their cards on the table… where is the game theory??

4. touchdownroddywhite says: Apr 29, 2015 11:43 AM

(Assuming Marriota wants to play in Philly) – Why can’t/don’t players like him forego the draft and just go to The team they want to play for via tryouts and sign as a FA?

5. sadsackashizz says: Apr 29, 2015 11:44 AM

—————————————–

Rivers makes sense, he’s a proven commodity. But Bradford? If they are as high on Mettenberger as they say they are, why would they want Bradford? He’s NOT a proven commodity & he only has 1 year left on his deal.

6. citizenstrange says: Apr 29, 2015 11:44 AM

IMO Ken Whisenhunt would trade for Philip Rivers a thousand times out of a thousand times over anyone else. Whisenhunt is desperately trying to save his job. Sam Bradford won’t do that for him …. or anybody.

7. wiitrainingcamp says: Apr 29, 2015 11:45 AM

I stopped reading at Sal Paolantonio…. I might as well just ask my neighbor who is going to pick Mariota.

8. howiehandles says: Apr 29, 2015 11:47 AM

I can’t wait for the draft. I need some 500cc s of football STAT!

9. In Teddy We Trust says: Apr 29, 2015 11:53 AM

I think Mariota will be the best QB in this draft but I don’t think he’s worth whatever it would take to move up from 17 or 20 to 2. You can’t just offer up Sam Bradford and think you’re moving up 18 spots.

10. philliephanatic says: Apr 29, 2015 11:55 AM

He will be an Eagle. Book it.

11. narlo00 says: Apr 29, 2015 11:56 AM

Because they’d have to sit out a year or force a trade such as Eli Manning did when he was drafted by San Diego and traded to NY.

12. cheech10 says: Apr 29, 2015 12:02 PM

Tampa may surprise everyone

13. goingthextramile says: Apr 29, 2015 12:04 PM

REPORT: Marcus Harriota isn’t worth trading up for.

14. tjacks7 says: Apr 29, 2015 12:09 PM

Believes or hopes? I mean, I’d hope the Eagles or Chargers traded up for me too when the other teams in the running are the Bucs, Titans, Jets, and Browns.

15. yoakamnotyokum says: Apr 29, 2015 12:11 PM

So excited, so many headlines heading into the draft and we being all suckers are eating all of it up. One more day!

16. dlux36 says: Apr 29, 2015 12:13 PM

Unfortunately I see Bradford as the week 1 starter for my Eagles (which means buttfumble will start many games this year)…pains me to say it and expect it will be more painful to watch.

I don’t know that the Duck is worth the price, but nothing about the existing situation gives me much hope.

17. afwhigs says: Apr 29, 2015 12:19 PM

If a trade is going to happen, the one that makes the most sense is Rivers to Tennessee. This would give them a Favre/Rogers type situation where Mettenberger could develop for a few more years before taking over.

San Diego could take Mariota and keep him, or see if Chip is willing to offer substantial draft pick compensation in trade.

18. wallabear says: Apr 29, 2015 12:24 PM

Must-to-avoid: Titans/Whisenhunt (like former Raiders HC Tom Cable, Whisenhunt likes to bench QBs, i.e., Kolb, Skelton); Rams/Fisher (if you’re a contemporary “mobile” QB, then you don’t want to be on Jeff Fisher’s team, simply because he’s a defensive-minded HC, i.e., VY10); Browns (their organization is just a mess!). Teams Mariota should entertain: Eagles/Kelly (no-brainer); Chiefs/Reid (even without Marty Mornhinweg at his side, Andy could still make Mariota a future winner behind Alex Smith in the Chiefs’ West Coast-Spread hybrid offense); Jets/Bowles (with Chris Ivory and a solid “D” behind him, Mariota would have a smooth rookie transition); Chargers/McCoy (McCoy made Timmy Tebow shine, despite the low pass completions, i.e., Timmy threw a pass in post-season to beat Big Ben/Steelers).

19. laces out says: Apr 29, 2015 12:24 PM

I long to see drama regarding the first overall pick since it’s usually a lock by January, but drama regarding the 2nd pick is good enough

20. patriotinvasion says: Apr 29, 2015 12:28 PM

It’s so good to be a fan of the WORLD CHAMPION New England Patriots. As the rest of the league wonders who could be their savior, the Pats just look for role players to compete for playing time.

Enjoy tomorrow night kids!

21. yank3525 says: Apr 29, 2015 12:28 PM

I don’t see any team trading up to the Titans for him.

22. sandersmarcus10 says: Apr 29, 2015 12:31 PM

Will be glad when this draft comes

23. justintuckrule says: Apr 29, 2015 12:32 PM

Be kinda funny if the Chargers traded with Tenn first and then the Eagles traded with TB.

24. skobolt says: Apr 29, 2015 12:33 PM

I believe the bolts and other teams are throwing up smoke screens . The Chargers will shock everyone and take take the safety the steelers want.

25. skinssuckbutcowboysworse says: Apr 29, 2015 12:45 PM

Patriotinvasion…youre sooo cool can we be like you pleeeeease?

26. Fake French Accent says: Apr 29, 2015 12:50 PM

unitunite says:
    Apr 29, 2015 11:31 AM
    ———————————————-
    You said it! I feel like a little girl, from my pigtails, to my plaid short skirt, down to my knee-high socks!!

When I think about the #2 pick in tomorrows NFL Draft, I experience sensations deep within my body that I’ve never felt before, its terrifying but so…soooo exciting!!!

I mean, internal monologue here but, “Could it be Mariota?? WILL IT BE Mariota??? IT HAS TO BE MARIOTA!!!!” Oh my, I just realized I’ve been writing Marcus Mariotas name all over my notebook in class!!! T’eheheehe!!!

27. justintuckrule says: Apr 29, 2015 12:50 PM

relax guy…..Brady gets hurt and you’re the one picking first next year.

28. 1960eaglefanslol says: Apr 29, 2015 12:51 PM

I hope Chip gets him. They won zero together in college, blowing their national championship shot against Auburn. Can anyone else see this as a Reid-McNabb relationship once he’s drafted…a few NFC chanpionship game trips maybe, no wins, zero championships. Close but no cigar…just like at Oregon.

29. true9erfan66 says: Apr 29, 2015 12:53 PM

I just think to trade up for qb is so risky in first round, the facts our with exception of 83 draft with Kelly,elway,Marino but O’Brien was bust. All drafts that have come down to 2 qb’s one and sometimes both have busted really think about it 95 Collins and burelien neither lived up 98 leaf and manning. Leaf huge bust 05 Smith & Rodgers, Smith never lived up to draft status 07 Russell bust 11 Newton,gabbert,locker 2 our busts and jury still out on Newton 12 luck,rg3 bust rg3 so the odds of mariota and or Winston both being top 10 qbs highly unlikely actually odds our neither will be top 10 and 1 might be Alex Smith type level so I am not saying not to draft qbs just saying the facts our you should never trade way up for a qb in first round now not only can we look at recent history rg3 to see how such a move can put you back after such a trade now I guess if it’s a few spots up ok but for eagles or rams just to risky now like if you’re titans sure take the chance draft marriota works out great if it doesn’t all you lost was 1 first round pick not 3 firsts and 2 seconds like Washington did or like what eagles would have to give up for him

30. patriotinvasion says: Apr 29, 2015 1:05 PM

The Patriots haven’t won anything since….FEBRUARY! HAHAHA!

31. josephhayes2015 says: Apr 29, 2015 1:10 PM

The Eagles were dumb enough to trade for Bradford I hope they get stuck with him. 13 Mil. for 1 year I can’t see anyone else smarter then Chip.

32. youreinthejunglebaby says: Apr 29, 2015 1:13 PM

By “Believe” they mean “Praying to Baby Jesus that it’s true”.

33. dbbeurylaw says: Apr 29, 2015 1:22 PM

Marcus Mariota will fall to New England in the 6th round. Anyone who saw the interception in the Super Bowl already knows this. Why? Because Salem is in New England . What part of this don’t you understand?

34. foxboroempire says: Apr 29, 2015 1:27 PM

Patriotinvasion is right, being fan of the reigning Super Bowl Champions is fantastic. The odds are that either Mariota or Winston will be a bust, why sacrifice your team’s future on a 50-50 shot at best?

The Patriots wouldn’t do anything like that, and that’s why they keep collecting Lombardi Trophies. Why go for a Duck when you have the GOAT?

35. sharrerwwonka22 says: Apr 29, 2015 1:31 PM

But, Chip said in a press conference that he had no interest in Mariotta. Lol! This coming from a guy who lies through his teeth, and has screwed up that team big time in the past few months. He trades one of the league’s premier backs for an injured unproven linebacker, then steps in dog doo-doo when Murray reaches out to him after Dallas brain farted and refused to pay the man market value for the reigning rushing champion. It was never in Chip’s planning to land a replacement of such value for McCoy, because getting Murray was not even up for discussion until the day before he signed, Dallas could’ve kept him where he wanted to stay, or 90% of the teams needing a back could’ve swooped in and he would’ve signed with anyone for a paycheck. Chip knows he got lucky with Murray becoming available, and the team has yet to replace both of their two best wr’s in Jackson & Maclin. If they go into the year with retread Bradford and no wr’s to speak of, they will be in line for the top pick come next draft.

36. cybersqueak says: Apr 29, 2015 2:05 PM

If Webster is smart, not sure he is, he’ll keep the #2 pick and trade Whisenhunt, if any team out there would be dumb enough to take him.

37. jeagan1999 says: Apr 29, 2015 2:16 PM

Forget the #2 pick! Only one way to get him for sure…make a deal that Tampa just can’t refuse! Let’s say San Diego makes a deal with Tenn. to move into the #2 spot. Chip Kelly could still call Lovie Smith and Jason Licht and offer them a combination of players and future draft picks, and steal Mariota from right under their noses! I would love to see that scenario play out!!!!

38. jaygatsbytheoneandonly says: Apr 29, 2015 2:27 PM

Mariota is not the second coming of Peyton Manning…the Titans should just draft him and hope for the best. These three way trades are very improbable for a 50/50 shot at a boom or bust qb prospect who hasn’t huddled in 3 years and only took 3 snaps from under center last year.

39. frankfortschooldropout says: Apr 29, 2015 2:38 PM

jeagan1999 says:
    Apr 29, 2015 2:16 PM

—————————————————————
    The trade would be contingent on who San Diego would want being available and wouldn’t be submitted to league offices if he weren’t. How is that not evident when they do so much investigating on these guys? Your scenario would be like putting a screen door on a submarine instead of a water tight hatch.

40. captainobvious says: Apr 29, 2015 2:58 PM

No team can offer nearly as much as the Browns. 2 picks this year…and given their history…they’ll have another high pick next year. No other team is a guarantee to have a top 15 pick next year!

41. phillykid098 says: Apr 29, 2015 3:04 PM

@ touchdownroddywhite Would you turn down millions of dollars to choose your team? Remember nothing in sports is guaranteed. The eagles may want him and I am sure Mariota would love to play for Chip but I am sure he is fine playing for any team that drafts him

42. Tucker Peterson says: Apr 29, 2015 3:42 PM

Sorry but Bolts won’t trade Rivers. Not happening.

43. pantherpro says: Apr 29, 2015 4:19 PM

Maybe Raiders trade up cause Carr sucks!

44. a1b24312 says: Apr 29, 2015 4:49 PM

Was I really that bad in Philadelphia after all?

Signed, A. Reid

45. megatronownsyou says: Apr 29, 2015 5:55 PM

Can’t wait until the vast majority of Chip’s personell moves are established to have been idiotic and we don’t have to read so much about him anymore and don’t have to listen to morons call him a “genius” all the time

46. tythor says: Apr 30, 2015 4:31 AM

If I’m Mariota I’m pulling a Elway/Eli Manning and having my agent contact the Browns to let them know that there is no way I’m ever signing a contract to play for them, so they shouldn’t even waste their time trying to trade up. I would also have my agent contact the Titans and let them know that although I won’t refuse to play there, it’s not a place I really want to be long term so if they get a good trade offer they like they should take it because chances are I won’t re-sign there whenever I become a FA. For most prospects it would be crazy to tell NFL teams you wont play for them, but Mariota is in such demand he knows that he isn’t falling out of the top 5 regardless. IMO he should be doing whatever it takes to try and leverage his way to San Diego or Philly because thats where he clearly wants to be, and it’s also the two best teams/situations Mariota could go too.