Report: C.J. Wilson lost two fingers in fireworks accident

Getty Images

A new report says the hand injury suffered by Buccaneers cornerback C.J. Wilson in a Fourth of July fireworks accident was very serious.

The Lincoln Times-News in Wilson’s hometown of Lincolnton, North Carolina reports that Wilson lost two fingers in the accident. The report cites sources close to the family and says the incident occurred at home in Lincolnton, with family and close friends present.

Such an injury would be career-threatening for Wilson, a 25-year-old who has been in the NFL for two years. Wilson entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent out of North Carolina State, played in 2013 for the Bears and then signed last year with the Bucs.

The Buccaneers have acknowledged they’re aware of the injury but have not released any details about Wilson’s condition. Wilson’s agent has likewise confirmed that he’s injured but declined to release any medical information.

Permalink 104 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
104 Responses to “Report: C.J. Wilson lost two fingers in fireworks accident”
  1. shrimp says: Jul 8, 2015 2:33 PM

See what happens?

~ Shrimp

2. freddypatsfan says: Jul 8, 2015 2:33 PM

Well that escalated quickly…

3. bvolke says: Jul 8, 2015 2:34 PM

A career down the toilet to blow off fireworks……

4. rodvmunchiii says: Jul 8, 2015 2:35 PM

5. tjacks7 says: Jul 8, 2015 2:36 PM

I want to feel bad for the guy but at some point in the first 25 years of your life you should learn not to let fireworks explode in your hands.

6. jtbsteeler says: Jul 8, 2015 2:36 PM

Unreal. These new fireworks are military grade.

7. britishteeth says: Jul 8, 2015 2:37 PM

As long as he has all his toes he can always play for Rex Ryan.

8. carnegiemellonisafruitstand says: Jul 8, 2015 2:37 PM

I sure hope he finds them.

9. bucrightoff says: Jul 8, 2015 2:37 PM

The biggest danger to NFL players isn’t concussions or knee injuries, it’s too much unsupervised free time.

10. jonathankrobinson424 says: Jul 8, 2015 2:37 PM

Have a speedy recovery & get yourself well C.J. The rest of your life is in front of you…..you’re 25 yrs old.

11. bucs4redskinsname says: Jul 8, 2015 2:37 PM

Luckily he’ll be able to fall back onto his college education.

12. xnihilofan says: Jul 8, 2015 2:38 PM

@bucrightoff……………truer words have never been said!

13. jc327 says: Jul 8, 2015 2:38 PM

I guess what we can take from this weekend is that football players are very bad at fireworks.

14. tedbundysson says: Jul 8, 2015 2:38 PM

My grandpa once told me “son, you are never going to meet the stupidest person you are ever going to meet”.

15. PhD says: Jul 8, 2015 2:38 PM

No one deserves something like this and accidents do happen. Here’s hoping he can make the best of it and the results still allow him to enjoy his life with or without football. Condolences sir.

16. retiredrichardsandberg says: Jul 8, 2015 2:39 PM

AMAZING how crazy these guys are.

17. orangehigh says: Jul 8, 2015 2:39 PM

….and here I am thinking that you shouldn’t hold lit explosives in your hand is common knowledge.

18. kevpft says: Jul 8, 2015 2:40 PM

Nothing funny about that. It’s easy & cheap to call it dumb an laugh at it, but that’s a life-altering thing for a young man who thought he knew what his future held for a while.

Best of luck to this fellow in recovering and moving on.

19. raiderufan says: Jul 8, 2015 2:40 PM

And this is the football player with a firework injury that’s NOT in the hospital for a 4th day….

I just have a feeling the final JPP news will not be good.

20. yellowxdiscipline says: Jul 8, 2015 2:41 PM

Wow what a moron.

21. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Jul 8, 2015 2:42 PM

I think if some of these guys had the winning mega ball ticket they would use it to light their stove !

22. patinphilly says: Jul 8, 2015 2:42 PM

whats that sound you hear? You might say its fireworks exploding in one’s hands.

I would say its a its a well paying careeer exploding in front of your eyes (and fingers).

23. bryonneufeld says: Jul 8, 2015 2:43 PM

I tend to be libertarian but I just wish fireworks didn’t exist. They are such a pain in the rear when you are trying to get to sleep on July 4th and you have two toddlers already in bed.

24. rodvmunchiii says: Jul 8, 2015 2:46 PM

retiredrichardsandberg says:
    Jul 8, 2015 2:39 PM
    AMAZING how crazy these guys are.

———

Millions of people do it every year with no problem – accidents happen and it’s unfortunate but it’s extremely rare for anyone to get seriously injured. You’re still much more likely to get injured in an auto accident than you are lighting off some firecrackers.

25. gdive says: Jul 8, 2015 2:49 PM

This is just sad and dumb. I really hope most of these guys would truly realize that a few minutes of fun shooting off fireworks is not worth risking your career and the family that’s depending on you!

If you just have to buy them, then let someone else set them off.

26. afwhigs says: Jul 8, 2015 2:51 PM

Wow. I know that this was a stupid thing, but I can’t help but feel sorry for the guy. We all make bad choices when we’re young, and it seems like this one may cost him his career.

I never want to wish ill on anyone or otherwise find joy in the misfortune of others. It’s easy to make snide comments but I can’t find it in me to be so glib about this guy’s life being turned upside down, regardless of the reason.

27. harrisonhits2 says: Jul 8, 2015 2:51 PM

The sad thing is there are about 4 common sense things you do when setting off fireworks that will ensure you never get hurt. Its really not a hard thing to do.

A real shame when this sort of thing happens.

28. usitait says: Jul 8, 2015 2:52 PM

Fireworks are more dangerous to hands than Clarence Boddicker

29. 4greatestvikingever says: Jul 8, 2015 2:53 PM

Read the directions.

30. nullaereale says: Jul 8, 2015 2:56 PM

I understand that this is not a funny situation– but why did ya’ll use a picture of him with his fingers up? Lol!

31. chiadam says: Jul 8, 2015 2:57 PM

Well, I’m sure he paid careful attention in school and is fully prepared to deal with his NFL career being over.

That even looks funnier in print than I thought it would.

32. raiderufan says: Jul 8, 2015 2:59 PM

usitait says: Jul 8, 2015 2:52 PM

Fireworks are more dangerous to hands than Clarence Boddicker

Can’t believe they had the nerve to leave the right hand in the remake.

33. kingpel says: Jul 8, 2015 3:04 PM

Well this is an interesting new trend.

34. billsbackto81 says: Jul 8, 2015 3:06 PM

Just a note for JPP and CJ.

You’re wealthy people. Hire a pro to handle your explosives.

35. pftcancer says: Jul 8, 2015 3:07 PM

bryonneufeld says:
    Jul 8, 2015 2:43 PM

=========================================================

I second that. As well as a dog that’s terrified of thunder and anything remotely related to thunder. And having PTSD. I almost killed my neighbors for doing this on July 5th at 10:00pm….

36. chc4 says: Jul 8, 2015 3:07 PM

I’ll bet the under on # of INTs this guy snags in 2015.

37. getadealdonealready says: Jul 8, 2015 3:14 PM

rodvmunchiii says:

———————————————————

Not a great analogy, as millions of people drive everyday, while fireworks are typically lit one day a year.

38. paulieorkid says: Jul 8, 2015 3:15 PM

Who needs ISIS and their suicide bombers and roadside IEDs? Just sell fireworks, and then, sit back and let nature takes its course.

39. kamthechancellor says: Jul 8, 2015 3:16 PM

I feel bad for this guy. Sucks losing your fingers and possibly your career when you were just celebrating the 4th of July.

40. zeke2517 says: Jul 8, 2015 3:18 PM

“Clearly fireworks must be banned, we must protect people from themselves, I mean if we let people make their own decisions they might make bad ones. We must act, we can’t let this crisis go to waste.”

Who said anything about banning fireworks? Are you one of those weird right-wing people who tries to turn everything into some sort fantastical attack on your FREEEEEDOMS?

Don’t be defensive. It makes you look like an idiot.

41. usitait says: Jul 8, 2015 3:21 PM

4greatestvikingever says:

Read the directions.

*****************************************

1. Sad that fireworks have to have directions
    2. Sadder that people can’t even follow them

42. fitzharvard says: Jul 8, 2015 3:24 PM

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before.

43. fitzharvard says: Jul 8, 2015 3:25 PM

On the bright side, he’ll have a gig as guest speaker at the next rookie symposium.

44. rexdarteskimospy says: Jul 8, 2015 3:25 PM

usitait:

“Fireworks are more dangerous to hands than Clarence Boddicker”

======================================

Best comment of this thread right here, folks.

*tips hat*

45. whenwilliteverend says: Jul 8, 2015 3:27 PM

bucrightoff says:
    Jul 8, 2015 2:37 PM

Great comment. You hit the nail right on the head. They remind you of how young children act–no common sense. This is tragic but easily preventable by not doing something stupid.

46. godfatherd says: Jul 8, 2015 3:29 PM

“career threatening injury”

Ronnie Lott would disagree

47. noleitup says: Jul 8, 2015 3:30 PM

jtbsteeler says:
    Jul 8, 2015 2:36 PM
    Unreal. These new fireworks are military grade.
    ____________________________________

What!?! That stuff back in the day was way more powerful. This was b4 the pussification of America.

48. ytrappin504 says: Jul 8, 2015 3:33 PM

2 years in the NFL/2 lost fingers. Imagine if this trend continues.

49. bencoates57 says: Jul 8, 2015 3:36 PM

All while celebrating a nation on the decline. I wonder if he could even name 3 forefathers.

50. dcapettini says: Jul 8, 2015 3:36 PM

I am 69 and I have never known anyone to get more than a burn from fireworks. Now we have 2 starting players in the NFL with career threatening injuries of this sort? What are the odds? How stupid can they be? I guess I am answering my own question.

51. restorativejusticeprogram says: Jul 8, 2015 3:40 PM

The always say the NFL is a copy-cat league.

52. TheRichMeister says: Jul 8, 2015 3:40 PM

smh…

53. ourbonesaredriedup says: Jul 8, 2015 3:41 PM

Sad day for him, watching his career rocket into the sky, unlike his fireworks. But it could have been worse, with one guy dead because he lit a firework off his head and another dead for lighting a firework off his chest, compared to those two CJ is a genius.

54. realfootballfan says: Jul 8, 2015 3:42 PM

I suspected as much from the agent statement. He’s a special team type, so I don’t know if this will affect his career or not. Either way it goes, that’s a tough outcome for him to deal with.

55. ourbonesaredriedup says: Jul 8, 2015 3:44 PM

Goodall will be mandating a ‘Firework education’ class pretty soon. Rumors are Manziel may be doing a ‘show me the fingers’ sign pretty soon.

56. motzinjammin says: Jul 8, 2015 3:46 PM

It’s a conspiracy by the Chinese…

57. buds4grant says: Jul 8, 2015 3:48 PM

“Can you fly, Bobby?”

58. holla2626 says: Jul 8, 2015 3:51 PM

Not to mention they are illegal in NC – he might also have to pay like a $50 fine.

59. babygaga19 says: Jul 8, 2015 3:53 PM

In addition to domestic violence, the NFL must institute training courses on How to Handle Fireworks When Massively Intoxicated for its players.

60. babyjunkie says: Jul 8, 2015 3:55 PM

“Talkin bout fireworks on the ground!”

61. Patsruleyourbrain says: Jul 8, 2015 3:55 PM

britishteeth says:
    Jul 8, 2015 2:37 PM
    As long as he has all his toes he can always play for Rex Ryan.

————————————————————————————————————————————

Dammit you just made me spit my coffee all over my laptop!!

62. justintuckrule says: Jul 8, 2015 3:57 PM

Ban fireworks! I don’t care about your fingers but when the house I worked my rear end off for is a sitting duck to some dopey, inexperienced, unlicensed, 9 wonderlic idiotard proving how cool he is…yeah….they should go.

You don’t want gubbment telling you that you can’t have em, go get trained and prove you have a big enough piece of property that a firework can’t escape or start a wildfire on and you can play with your little firecrackers til your little hearts’ content.

63. fumblenuts says: Jul 8, 2015 4:09 PM

Next time just stick to the sparklers and snakes…….

64. sdelmonte says: Jul 8, 2015 4:13 PM

Given that the initial news report about JPP was apparently wrong, there is room to hope this is, too.

But it’s far too plausible.

65. classicfinder says: Jul 8, 2015 4:18 PM

I told him not to count Mississippi’s.

66. DrSteveBrule says: Jul 8, 2015 4:20 PM

30+ years of being a football fan, never once heard news of a player injuring themselves while lighting off fireworks, and this year it happens twice.

67. lrical says: Jul 8, 2015 4:25 PM

I know cops with missing fingers who still work. You telling me with two fingers you can’t tackle somebody or bat down a ball or even catch the ball. Cowboys fan but this guy will bounce back.

68. waxthat says: Jul 8, 2015 4:29 PM

lrical says:
    Jul 8, 2015 4:25 PM

____________________________________

Ask Ronnie Lott

69. bert1913 says: Jul 8, 2015 4:30 PM

stupid people do stupid things…next

70. nouhoh64 says: Jul 8, 2015 4:37 PM

I wonder if the firework in question was shaped like a football and his natural instincts kicked in and he couldn’t let go of it..whew! I worked kinda to come up with an explanation to justify that kind of stupid.

71. friscokid49 says: Jul 8, 2015 4:40 PM

two NFL players hurt hands and two dopes lose life with fireworks, this summer is explosive.

da-da-dun

make sure you tip the waiter on the way out.

72. devildog911 says: Jul 8, 2015 4:42 PM

He can tryout to be a punter/kicker.

73. excusemewhileiwhipthisoutagain says: Jul 8, 2015 4:42 PM

Stupid is as Stupid does.

74. excusemewhileiwhipthisoutagain says: Jul 8, 2015 4:43 PM

Actually I dont necessarily see this as career ender. Ike Taylor successfully played CB for the Steelers and he had no hands.

75. realskipbayless says: Jul 8, 2015 4:46 PM

I feel bad for these later generations that won’t get to experience things like the 4th of July firework celebrations because someone doesn’t like it or is offended.

76. billsrule2015 says: Jul 8, 2015 4:46 PM

He should throw his name in the Republican Presidential Race right next to Donald Trump. What a genius.

77. bucsorbust says: Jul 8, 2015 5:09 PM

This is very sad for C.J. Wilson, and I regret he hurt himself, especially if fireworks in N.C. are legal. That said, in Florida, unless one was working for a railroad, working on a farm to clear birds, or putting on a licensed public fireworks display with a permit, in Florida, fireworks are illegal to use, but not sell (go figure). Many innocent people have their houses burned down, pets have cardiac arrest out of fright, or other innocent bystanders are injured or worse. While they are illegal, the loophole in the law is the buyer signs a waiver releasing the seller of liability, stating his intent is “agricultural purposes.” You might say I myself used to sort of blow stuff up for a living as a 24 year military special operations veteran. But when I “unexpectedly” hear the “rockets red glare” due to some jerk like those who play with illegal fireworks, it gives me hours of issues. And pets are terrified night repeatedly. Worse, these guys have to shoot them off all three nights. Pity the person who causes harm to my home or pets—just say that. So again, I am sorry for C.J., but I don’t think or guys who illegally set these things off, or do it legally around others, think much of guys like me…and/or the law. For my neighbors who did this last Saturday and returned my mind to the battlefield, I do regret he didn’t meet C.J.s fate. Better luck next year (for me) if he does it again.

78. rams1999 says: Jul 8, 2015 5:09 PM

We need better fireworks control.

Darn fireworks. People getting injured by them. Ban fireworks!
    (Sarcasm)▲
    #societyisproblem

79. qbarrel says: Jul 8, 2015 5:16 PM

bucrightoff says:
    Jul 8, 2015 2:37 PM

———————-

You speak the truth………amen

80. bucsorbust says: Jul 8, 2015 5:21 PM

Wilson was not a starter on the Bucs or a projected starter. Those go to Alterran Verner and Jonthan Banks, with Sterling Moore or Mike Jenkins at nickel/backup, and with Johnson and Dixon backing up. Wilson may still play, but if what he was doing was illegal and is thought in any way to diminish his play, no reason the Bucs would keep him. He was probably 30/70 to make the roster as it was.

81. meltuckersfreerelease says: Jul 8, 2015 5:26 PM

This is Warren Sapp-level dumb…

82. axesbluestar says: Jul 8, 2015 5:27 PM

=====

Nah, this is Darwinism at its finest. The weak and stupid will be weeded out.

83. catquick says: Jul 8, 2015 5:27 PM

Meanwhile, the Dolfins, Jets and Bills have all chipped in to send Tom Brady a truckload of fireworks.

84. catquick says: Jul 8, 2015 5:28 PM

I do remember a Raiders DB in the 70’s who played with one hand. His name escapes me right now. He was pretty good, too.

85. catquick says: Jul 8, 2015 5:31 PM

86. kingkornkahn says: Jul 8, 2015 5:40 PM

If its not his thumb, why is this career threatening for a cornerback?

87. fitzharvard says: Jul 8, 2015 5:49 PM

“In Super Bowl (5?) the Colts kicker hit a FG to win the game at the buzzer. Over the summer he dropped a lit firework in a 5 gallon jug and it went off and took off his leg and I believe both arms. That was about 1971. He never played again, strangely.”

I think you’re confusing stories. Jim O’Brien kicked that game winner and was never injured by fireworks. There was a prospect for the Chargers around the same time who lost both legs below the knee from fireworks though.

88. sportnorcal says: Jul 8, 2015 5:59 PM

Wow – 2 NFL players hurt lighting off fireworks??
    Brutal, I hope they are OK.

89. bucthesepeople says: Jul 8, 2015 6:09 PM

How is it a career ending injury? Does it give him a disadvantage, sure. But he’s a corner, and now he has one hand that looks like Homer Simpson’s hand. As long as he still has a thumb he should be good.

But like others have pointed out, he was already climbing an uphill battle to make the roster anyway.

90. giobearscubshawks says: Jul 8, 2015 6:28 PM

Pat Verbeek got his thumb cut off in a farming accident…. Still scored 500 goals in the NHL

Cj is an idiot but he will be fine

91. reprob8 says: Jul 8, 2015 6:31 PM

can we PLEASE call these munitions “explosives” instead of fireworks? maybe folks will respect the potential damage that they can cause & stop thinking of them as glorified sparklers!

92. dudeareno81 says: Jul 8, 2015 6:50 PM

Whoooo. My little ole’ hometown making the big time on PFT!

93. Bubbalicious says: Jul 8, 2015 6:51 PM

Blew his fingers off and you call it career threatening! Brilliant man, you clearly have a future in the Deductive Reasoning Field! Rock-on Cupcake!

94. walder says: Jul 8, 2015 7:12 PM

CJ needs his fingers more than JPP.

95. fordbw says: Jul 8, 2015 7:23 PM

He was probably messing around with cherry bombs or M-80’s or something of that ilk. Normal fireworks that you buy at Wal-Mart or a roadside fireworks stand wouldn’t do this.

96. willgrove80 says: Jul 8, 2015 7:35 PM

Idk the guy but he’s obviously either stupid or got too drunk.

That said, he can still count to 8.

97. TomsulasMustache says: Jul 8, 2015 8:05 PM

Amazing this is an issue the NFL will probably have to address now for the future. Shows you the IQ of a lot of these athletes. Unbelievable

98. rexryanjr says: Jul 8, 2015 9:25 PM

Yawn…. never heard or the guy, nor will I again likely. Too bad JPP stole his thunder and he wont even be known as the idiot that blew his hands off with fireworks

99. p31squared says: Jul 8, 2015 9:42 PM

Think “fireworks” clauses will be written into player contracts starting tomorrow?

100. craniator says: Jul 8, 2015 9:49 PM

Well , he can still do commercials for ‘Two Fingers’ Tequila.

101. misterpositivity says: Jul 8, 2015 9:57 PM

I held a lit roman candle once….Once.

102. campcouch says: Jul 8, 2015 10:05 PM

Ronnie Lott got his finger yanked off in a game…didn’t stop him.

103. djscottyb says: Jul 9, 2015 4:47 AM

Disadvantage depending what fingers.
    And what hand.
    If it went off while he was holding it, it’s probably involving more important fingers than the pinky and ring finger.

Regardless of what fingers, DBs need fingers to tip balls, tackles etc
    Espcially when WRs or Rbs are speeding by.
    If it’s on his dominant hand it will make it tougher.

104. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Jul 9, 2015 1:19 PM

1. This comment section is shameful.

2. Ronnie Lott played DB with a missing finger

3. I wish CJ Wilson well. No one even knows any details, yet so many are jumping at the chance to call him stupid. SMH.