Derek Wolfe suspended four games for PED policy violation

AP

We still haven’t heard anything about Tom Brady, but it is still Friday, which means the NFL has business to do.

Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe has been suspended four games for violating the league’s performance enhancing substances policy.

The Broncos and NFLPA issued the statement on Wolfe’s behalf, saying he took a medication he didn’t know was on the banned list.

“Please allow me to offer my most sincere apology to everyone in the Broncos organization, and especially to my teammates and our fans,” Wolfe said. “During the off-season I took a medication which is on the banned substance list.  The medication is not a substance which would enhance my on-field performance in any way, and I genuinely was unaware that it was prohibited, but players are responsible for what is in their bodies. I will certainly exercise far greater caution in the future and will seek advice relating to the permissibility of any and all medications.

“I’m very disappointed that I can’t help my team for the first four weeks of the season, but I look forward to a great season with the Broncos and can’t wait to get back on the field in week five.”

Of course, we’re taking Wolfe’s (and the union’s) word on that, just as we did when many players used the “Adderall defense” in years past, and the NFL can always dispute his claims if they are false.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “Derek Wolfe suspended four games for PED policy violation”
  1. In Teddy We Trust says: Jul 24, 2015 1:52 PM

It’s refreshing to finally see some stories about players being suspended who aren’t Packers.

2. paulrevereshorse1775 says: Jul 24, 2015 1:53 PM

The NFL has already announced 2 suspensions today. either they have several more to do, or they want to bolt the office early

3. babygaga19 says: Jul 24, 2015 1:54 PM

I know these players are not Mensas, but why is it they dont know what they can or cannot use?

4. RegisHawk says: Jul 24, 2015 1:56 PM

I notice they’ve started individualizing the announcements recently. So by the end of the day, there might be 4-6 suspensions, but you find out one at a time.

5. patriotinvasion says: Jul 24, 2015 2:04 PM

The filthy cheating Broncos continue their culture of CHEATING.

#SalaryCapGate
    #WolfeCHEATGate

*97 Broncons
    *98 Broncos

*Cheated the salary cap and were docked draft picks and fined for CHEATING.

6. routerunner says: Jul 24, 2015 2:07 PM

Was kind of surprised until I remembered he played for the Broncos.

7. RegisHawk says: Jul 24, 2015 2:15 PM

One for the Vikes now.

8. surfinbird1 says: Jul 24, 2015 2:17 PM

Give the guy a break. I’m sure he didn’t know Meth was on the banned list.

9. RegisHawk says: Jul 24, 2015 2:17 PM

Ben Goessling ‏@GoesslingESPN 2m2 minutes ago
    Jabari Price has been suspended for the first two games of the season. Had heard this was coming today. Another hit to #Vikings CB depth.

They’re getting slow, here.

10. routerunning says: Jul 24, 2015 2:21 PM

It isn’t exactly rocket science to compare the league’s list of prohibited substances to what players put into their body. Players must think we’re all idiots when they repeat the same excuse (‘I didn’t know’) over and over.

Do you think the day will ever come when a player will have the guts to admit he was trying to get an edge? Nah, it will never happen.

11. chicagobtech says: Jul 24, 2015 2:24 PM

I don’t buy the “I didn’t know it was banned” excuse. I’ve been in the Colts locker room (if you’re in Indy take the stadium tour). I’ve seen the signs in the trainer’s room. It’s not a small sign, it’s a couple of feet tall and wide. If you miss it, it’s out of willful ignorance.

12. salutethis says: Jul 24, 2015 2:27 PM

Awwww patriotinvasion is just but hurt that the best player on his team can’t win without cheating…. Well if wolf is the main reason Denver wins the Super Bowl this year… Which will happen. Then I’ll believe your great prophetic post! Until that happens tho you are just a little pretty.

13. bullogne says: Jul 24, 2015 2:28 PM

Unlike the Patsie whiner fans, the Broncos accept the punishment and move on.

14. buccedtb says: Jul 24, 2015 2:29 PM

patriotinvasion says:
    Jul 24, 2015 2:04 PM
    The filthy cheating Broncos continue their culture of CHEATING.

#SalaryCapGate
    #WolfeCHEATGate

*97 Broncons
    *98 Broncos
    *Cheated the salary cap and were docked draft picks and fined for CHEATING.

The Bronco’s didn’t cheat the salary cap. They did have a guy on the payroll nicknamed “SalaryCapCheater”- but he was just trying to lose a couple of pounds.

15. bucsorbust says: Jul 24, 2015 2:29 PM

Football is a game of playing within the rules. It’s important for the integrity of the game that all players do so, and to fail in that regard means one must pay the price with suspension. Intentionally breaking the rules to get some sort of competitive advantage is just wrong; it must not be tolerated.

Signed,
    Tom Brady

16. RegisHawk says: Jul 24, 2015 2:32 PM

You misheard – it was “CeleryCapEater”

17. dal1as says: Jul 24, 2015 2:46 PM

Idiot

18. quinzze says: Jul 24, 2015 2:58 PM

Same guy that called Brady a cheater… Nice!

19. bassplucker says: Jul 24, 2015 3:01 PM

Again? This is the 2nd time at least for him, isn’t it?

20. chilomane says: Jul 24, 2015 3:13 PM

If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying I just wish he wouldn’t have got caught as a Bronco fan I applaud his effort to improve!

21. imodan says: Jul 24, 2015 3:20 PM

quinzze says:
    Jul 24, 2015 2:58 PM

Same guy that called Brady a cheater… Nice!
    ——————————————————-
    Actually he said, and I quote:
    “I don’t care. I can’t change it. If I say something, it’s not going to change the outcome of the Super Bowl that just happened,” said Wolfe when asked about his opinion of the Wells Report. “What, are they going to take it away from them? It doesn’t affect me at all. It’s not going to put any more money in my pocket. It’s not going to get me a ring. I’m more worried about our team going to win a ring.”
    Of course at the time he was probably well aware that he was going to be caught and suspended so I give him his due for not being a hypocrite. And I’m a Pats fan!

22. sundaybutter says: Jul 24, 2015 3:27 PM

Just a matter of time before more suspensions are announced, I’m guessing there are going to be some PED-triots in that list. Cheating is the culture in NE.

23. whywerule says: Jul 24, 2015 3:33 PM

Nice of Wolfe to take the fall for Von Miller, who would have lost an entire season this time.

24. raiderapologist says: Jul 24, 2015 3:37 PM

Well, we know one thing for sure. Wolfe is a liar.

25. frankfortschooldropout says: Jul 24, 2015 4:02 PM

Another team stuck with PED moniker, at least by the tr0lls.

And the standard apology is looking more like a ‘fill in the details’ template every time I see it.

“This letter is to inform you that you are being suspended for four games for violating the NFL’s performance enhancing drug policy. The NFL’s standard apology press release has been forwarded to your agent.”

26. shawtiernan says: Jul 24, 2015 4:06 PM

He sucks anyway. I’m a bronco fan and let me tell ya… Anything that gets Malik on the field instead of this guy is a good thing.

27. j0esixpack says: Jul 24, 2015 4:09 PM

I’m sure all the NFL Fans will be just as indignant over this as they are about 0.5 psi of football pressure fully explained by the Laws of Physics…

… not to mention their outrage over the fact that Elway and the Broncos needed to cheat on the Salary Cap to win their Super Bowls and still hold the record for the largest monetary fine in the History of the NFL

Oh wait – there will be little outcry at all

The Broncos have yet to win an untainted Super Bowl by their own admission, and haven’t won one since they cheated (Karma!)

No one is jealous of them – thus no outcry

Haters gonnna hate! Bring it on!

28. Bubbalicious says: Jul 24, 2015 4:34 PM

Maybe the NFPA could start something like a ‘Suspension Bank’, when someone gets suspended they get use games dedicated from their hommes. That way they don’t miss so many games. And when things are good or their teams out of the playoff they could sit out on voluntary suspension and put something into the Suspension Bank!

29. fearthehoody says: Jul 24, 2015 4:41 PM

Some REAL Cheating! Broncos*

30. buccedtb says: Jul 24, 2015 4:48 PM

The team was not able to create more cap space illegally, the team was not able to sign star players because of the actions. Other than receiving immediate relief on cashflow issues directly related to the financing of the new stadium, nothing was gained—certainly not a competitive advantage gained via videotaping another team’s signals or practices….nor was there a blatant breach of any NFL rule having to do with the competitive nature of the game like we see in “DeflateGate.”

So were the Broncos cheaters? No. Did they break league rules regarding player payment? Yes, members of the organization did, unbeknownst to Pat Bowlen and Mike Shanahan. And then those employees got canned. Connecting Spygate to the Broncos cap issues is as ridiculous as it comes.

31. thebirdofprey2 says: Jul 24, 2015 10:09 PM

I remember 2013 when people jumped on my Seahawks they had 5 suspensions for PEDs according to ESPN. At the time Bronco’s had 4 suspensions, since then off the top of my head I can think of Von Miller and now Wolfe. Not to mention all the DUI’s and shenanigans happening in their front office.

Somebody is running a loose ship in Denver.

32. sasquatch77 says: Jul 25, 2015 1:43 AM

I wonder how many of you armchair pundits have actually seen the NFL’s list of banned substances? I just went and looked; 6 pages – 192 substances (many of which were at least ten syllable words).

The real rub is that some of those substances are hidden deep on a list of other ingredients in common cold medicines, weight lifting shakes, etc…

Do players need to be more careful? Absolutely! But please quit acting as though they all fit on a business card that you can slip in your wallet for easy reference.

33. denverdave3 says: Jul 25, 2015 5:42 PM