Cris Carter apologizes for 14-month old video

Getty Images

So I took a few hours off this afternoon to go to the golf course, because being miserable about being such a crappy golfer distracted me from being miserable about my son leaving for college. And at some point in the final few holes, I nearly fell out of the golf cart. For reasons unrelated to the consumption of alcohol.

I visited PFT, and I saw that MDS had figured out that the prominent player who, according to an article about former 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, allegedly advised incoming players at the 2014 Rookie Symposium to have a “fall guy” in their group was Cris Carter. The fact that the claim appeared in an ESPN article and the fact that Carter works for ESPN made the situation even more compelling.

The fact that a video of his comments still appeared as of this afternoon at NFL.com made the situation flabbergasting. The NFL apparently was flabbergasted, too, because the video was removed even faster than the league corrected the false ESPN report that 11 of 12 footballs used by the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game were two pounds below the 12.5 PSI minimum. (That’s technically accurate, since fixing an error in a matter of minutes is indeed faster than never fixing it.)

Now, Carter has apologized for his 14-month-old comments via Twitter.

“Seeing that video has made me realize how wrong I was,” said Carter, who apparently didn’t realize how wrong he was when the words were, you know, emerging from his mouth.  “I was brought there to educate young people and instead I gave them very bad advice. Every person should take responsibility for his own actions. I’m sorry and I truly regret what I said that day.”

Carter’s apology creates a clear impression that he had no idea there was anything wrong with what he said before seeing the video. Which conflicts with the NFL’s claim that “[t]he league’s player engagement staff immediately expressed concern about the comment to Cris,” and that the statement from the NFC session “was not repeated in the 2014 AFC session.”

It’ll be interesting to see whether the guy who advocated the use of a “fall guy” ends up taking the fall at ESPN once the next wave of former players with big names is looking for work. At a time when some believe that ESPN is more ready than ever to do whatever the league wants it to do, there’s a chance the league will want ESPN to move on from Carter — or that ESPN will decide to move on from him before the NFL has to ask.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
61 Responses to “Cris Carter apologizes for 14-month old video”
  1. pftinsider says: Aug 23, 2015 9:27 PM

“there’s a chance the league will want ESPN to move on from Carter — or that ESPN will decide to move on from him before the NFL has to ask.”

Well that would just be silly. Be different if it was 4 months ago

2. cambodianbreastmilk says: Aug 23, 2015 9:27 PM

He’s a coked out ghetto lying dope fiend and has been one for years. Hopefully ESPN dumps him.

3. jag1959 says: Aug 23, 2015 9:29 PM

“Seeing that video has made me realize how wrong I was,” said Carter, who apparently didn’t realize how wrong he was when the words were, you know, emerging from his mouth. “I was brought there to educate young people and instead I gave them very bad advice. Every person should take responsibility for his own actions. I’m sorry and I truly regret what I said that day.”

“Seeing that video has made me realize how wrong I was to let anyone record that” Is more like it. I have doubts about just how truly “sorry” he is but have no doubt he will end up truly regretting it

4. atwatercrushesokoye says: Aug 23, 2015 9:31 PM

If Chris Borland walked away because of this stupid comment, then he was looking for a reason to walk away. First it was “concussion threats” now it’s this, why doesn’t he just tell people that he didn’t like playing the game anymore? Which is likely the truth.

5. ibelievebrady says: Aug 23, 2015 9:36 PM

Carter’s statement seems to contradict NFL’s statement they expressed concern immediately after the remarks. But NFL left video on their own site for more than a year. Did we just catch the NFL in yet ANOTHER lie?

6. trebor64 says: Aug 23, 2015 9:37 PM

Now you tell me…

Keith Hernandez

7. mempusa says: Aug 23, 2015 9:37 PM

Dumb comment but no need to fire the guy. I enjoy Cris Carter more than just about any other former player turned analyst. He’s one of the few who keep it real.

8. Raider Jon says: Aug 23, 2015 9:38 PM

No one learns from Abu Ghraib. Never take pictures!!!

9. liftheavyorliftheavy says: Aug 23, 2015 9:41 PM

One of ESPN’s lead moral policemen…OOPS!

10. mjsully123 says: Aug 23, 2015 9:50 PM

Problem is, now adays, even if there isn’t a camera, there’s a camera…some where

11. derailedguy says: Aug 23, 2015 9:53 PM

Get rid of Cris

12. 6ball says: Aug 23, 2015 9:55 PM

How many in journalism are accused of either manufacturing news that doesn’t exist, or outright reporting untruths?

Now ask the same question about ESPN. Mortenson, Carter, Lewis, Brunnel, Dilfer, Schafter, Smith and others have all been accused of crimes against journalism.

13. dudeicle says: Aug 23, 2015 9:59 PM

have a nice two year vacation, Chris.

14. carnegiemellonisafruitstand says: Aug 23, 2015 10:00 PM

So the impressionable NFC rookies were able to “take advantage” of Carter’s sage advice but the AFC rookies were left to twist in the wind? Now THAT is the type of unfair competitive advantage that Rog’ and his brown shirts should be investigating! Quick, someone get me the AFC vs. NFC rookie arrest stats and get me Ted Wells on line 1.

15. bayafan says: Aug 23, 2015 10:04 PM

I’m so glad I stopped watching the NFL last year. It’s just become one giant embarrassing joke and I don’t miss it one bit.

16. quinzze says: Aug 23, 2015 10:09 PM

Fallguygate.

17. unoduotres says: Aug 23, 2015 10:13 PM

Chris Carter,

You felt like a big shot accusing Brady of lying under oath.
    How do you feel about all these comments describing what a “two-faced” jerk you are?

18. gurnblanstonreturns says: Aug 23, 2015 10:16 PM

cris carter is an embarrassment to the NFL and the Hall of Fame. ESPN? Not so much. If you have Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith on the payroll, you are beyond embarrassment.

cris carter is the least worthy member of the Hall of Fame. his bust should be a full-size Randy Moss cradling a tiny cris carter.

19. stairwayto7 says: Aug 23, 2015 10:17 PM

I am sorry I got caught! Fire him now!

20. dyims says: Aug 23, 2015 10:27 PM

ESPN will fire him the same way they fired Mort for report false informat….wait no they didn’t.

21. letafan4ever says: Aug 23, 2015 10:29 PM

What gets me about Cris is that he is such a moral judge on everybody else. You wouldn’t know how many errors he has made to hear him.
    To top it off, he is in that Video with Warren Sapp and they are advising rookies. They are HOF after all.

He was practically in tears last year post Super Bowl during post game and just couldn’t bring himself to be Professional.

22. revren10 says: Aug 23, 2015 10:34 PM

Is he also apologizing for using stickum and hurting the integrity of the game

23. arvinkp says: Aug 23, 2015 10:40 PM

5 years ago I though Cris Carter was a lying douche bag who ran his mouth without a care of what he said… today, he’s done nothing to sway me

24. babygaga19 says: Aug 23, 2015 10:48 PM

Was he lying?

25. jmdanieli says: Aug 23, 2015 10:53 PM

What a hypocrite! He’s only apologizing b/c he got caught. Once ESPN hired Ray ( should be in jail for murder) Lewis, they lost all credibility.
    The fact that they still haven’t retracted or apologized for the erroneous PSI levels that poisoned the public against the Pats probably means Carter will not lose his job.

26. rcali says: Aug 23, 2015 10:57 PM

Actually good advice. That’s why you have your crew. They are there to protect you. That’s what you pay them for. Everybody, remove yourself from fantasy land! No apology necessary.

27. edukator4 says: Aug 23, 2015 10:59 PM

I hate cris carter as a person, even more as an all star receiver who burned my team or bets. but you know what, I love him on espn countdown because he speaks the truth, and yes the truth hurts most of the time. and sorry, but he’s right, have a fall guy.

28. jimmybrock says: Aug 23, 2015 11:05 PM

Who was Warren Sapp’s “fall guy” when he was slapping hookers around?

29. harrypetergrant says: Aug 23, 2015 11:10 PM

Somewhere Mark Cuban is laughing

30. mmack66 says: Aug 23, 2015 11:10 PM

edukator4 says:
    Aug 23, 2015 10:59 PM

———————————-

Well, if he is apologizing for being right, he isn’t speaking the truth now.

31. blacknole08 says: Aug 23, 2015 11:28 PM

Carter should have never said what he said. There is already a stigma against athletes today for getting off because of who they are, and he basically just told young men that it is ok to not be held accountable for your actions. Sadly this reaffirms our society today… blame others for your actions.

32. mrbiggstuff says: Aug 23, 2015 11:35 PM

I’d fire him for being an awful analysts. Guess this’ll do.

33. packerfaninmn says: Aug 23, 2015 11:42 PM

ESPN just posted on this. They must have thought everyone was sleeping!

34. username5891 says: Aug 23, 2015 11:47 PM

So this was recorded 14 months ago and the video has been available for the public around that time the whole time and now everybody gets outraged. So it was cool until this retired guy brought it up.

35. tyrobjenkins says: Aug 23, 2015 11:52 PM

So, where’s his fall guy for this?

36. milehipigskin says: Aug 24, 2015 12:01 AM

edukator4 says:
    Aug 23, 2015 10:59 PM

===================================
    Hey edukator oh fore,
    you don’t need a fall guy if you DON’T BREAK THE FRIGGIN LAW.
    Chris Carter is teaching people how to obstruct law enforcement when a crime has been committed. That could be called an accessory after the fact.

Amazing.

Also, is ESPN going to run his apology at 12:20 AM like the apology to the Patriots for lying about spygate? What a fabulous operation they are running over there in Bristol CN.

37. bushkl2006 says: Aug 24, 2015 12:04 AM

Always looking for someone to lose their job. It’s pretty pathetic.

38. bushkl2006 says: Aug 24, 2015 12:08 AM

Enough with the ‘someone should lose their job’ stuff. Move on.

39. genericcommenter says: Aug 24, 2015 12:12 AM

Most people used to think it was OK to do what Adrian Peterson did, too. Some (Many?) still do.

When all that came out, Cris Carter was probably the most vocal person in the NFL media to come out and say “Just because my parents did something doesn’t mean it’s right” and speak out against child abuse.

People can change opinions. Society should encourage that. The advice from the symposium is probably just a little too real, IMHO. It makes people look bad, but it’s a sort of pragmatic way of saying “if you are going to do this, you might wanna do this”- which is a version of a conversation, BTW that all parents/coaches/authority figures have with their kids at some point.

40. genericcommenter says: Aug 24, 2015 12:13 AM

According to some of the comments here, teaching your kids The Bill of Rights should be considered child abuse.

41. bushkl2006 says: Aug 24, 2015 12:16 AM

ESPN is not firing Carter, and I’m really sick of reading things on this site always looking for someone to be fired. Stupid comments are no reason to be fired. Ever.

42. mongo3401 says: Aug 24, 2015 12:32 AM

If Carter is not fired then ESPN loses all semblance of being a part of the human race

Nice roll model Chris. That’s the way to teach kids. If you screw up, blame someone else for it. I can’t believe it wasn’t announced yet that ESPN fired Carter. What he did and said and the people he said it to is so wrong in so many ways. He only apologized because he got caught.

Can’t believe the NFL let him get away with it and even sadder they had it in video for over 14 months? Yes now it’s officially apparent there is something terribly wrong in the front office

43. macjacmccoy says: Aug 24, 2015 12:56 AM

I hope when your confronted by carter or someone else for asking for his job you don’t deny it. Because just like steven a smith can call someone a racist without actually saying the words someone can argue that someone should be fired without actually saying it.

44. realityonetwo says: Aug 24, 2015 3:35 AM

If you can afford a fall guy, you have one. All the butthurt nobodys now feign shock over a comment that reflects how life actually works.

45. honkerdawg says: Aug 24, 2015 5:28 AM

As if ESPN will really do anything. They’ll drag out the old patented ” everyone deserves a second chance” excuse. Fact is most of the clowns at that network and all the clowns in the league office NEED TO GO!

46. afwhigs says: Aug 24, 2015 7:02 AM

Apologizing for something he obviously believes is good advice is silly. He only apologized because someone (finally) grew a brain and noticed how messed up this was.

I don’t know if he should lose his job – which would be incredibly hypocritical of the NFL since they hired him and obviously had no issue with the advice until now – but certainly this deserves some attention.

47. duanethomas33 says: Aug 24, 2015 7:05 AM

I called it last night, get ready for the ESPN Cris Carter apology tour. Starting with Mike and Mike and it will include crocodile tears.

48. denverdude7 says: Aug 24, 2015 7:24 AM

The Patri*ts, except for LeGarrette Blount were already employing this strategy.

49. oiler1980 says: Aug 24, 2015 7:34 AM

Hummmm…

ChrisGate…
    CarterGate..
    CCGate..
    IGaveBadAdviceGate..
    NFLisCrashingGate..

On a serious note, Chris Mortensen just reported that Carter only told 11 out of the 12 classes he spoke at to get fall guys..

50. cinzano08 says: Aug 24, 2015 7:45 AM

With carter’s checkered past its no wonder he tells the young kids how to get away with things. He’s been doing it for years. Espn will do nothing to carter because he’s in tight with the other incompetent Vincent.

51. andyreidsskinnyjeans says: Aug 24, 2015 9:08 AM

Cris is one of the few analysts that I can watch without puking in my mouth or falling asleep….cut the guy a break on this one. Cut Keyshawn please.

52. lambeaudungbarn says: Aug 24, 2015 9:56 AM

Carter is very sorry (he got caught)…
    Where did our Sports Morality Go?
    Just look at the team pictures from the 60’s and today.
    It is VERY, VERY, easy to see.

53. RegisHawk says: Aug 24, 2015 10:03 AM

Where’s the story about Peter King misreporting the PSI on the balls? He should be fired too.

54. ourbonesaredriedup says: Aug 24, 2015 10:50 AM

ESPN is the NFL’s chosen media outlet. Rarely critical, constantly fawning. If Goodall said the sun revolved around the earth and the earth was flat, you could bet that ESPN would report it as being true.

55. themanfromtheblacklodge says: Aug 24, 2015 11:00 AM

Cris Carter isn’t sorry he said it, or that what he said was wrong, but only that what he said was filmed, has tarnished his reputation, and will possibly cost him his job with ESPN.

56. laffers says: Aug 24, 2015 11:04 AM

I’ve always thought of ESPN as merely an NFL subsidiary. Whether its the leaking of information to be published at their beck and call or choosing the network on air talent, these two organizations should stop holding themselves out at independent operations and just admit their close symbiotic relationship.

57. walleyejon says: Aug 24, 2015 12:32 PM

If we all got fired for saying stupid stuff in our past, not many of us would be working. A suspension is warranted, but not a firing IMHO.

58. mtb2253 says: Aug 24, 2015 1:14 PM

This goes beyond getting fired for saying stupid stuff. With all the issue we have today how could any person with any amount of common sense, integrity or basic sanity say something like this?

You need to have a fall guy. Not, ‘don’t do bad things”, but do what you want then roach someone for it. Nice. Different rules in your neighborhood, eh Chris?

So let’s get this straight, if Brady had thrown McNally under the bus he’d be home free, right?

Or do those two not qualify for some reason?

59. bbfe says: Aug 24, 2015 1:48 PM

Hi Cris, remember your indignation and outrage after the Superbowl? You were almost ready to cry with rage you were so mad that the Patriots even played in that Superbowl. I couldn’t believe they even had you on TV you were so mad.

This story makes that night feel even sweeter. Thanks for making me smile you hypocrite.

60. kingpel says: Aug 24, 2015 3:27 PM

As much as I avoid watching him on television because of his inferiority complex, I think firing the guy over this would be unfair. If the comments were that offensive this should have been addressed immediately with ESPN. It wasn’t, so Carter skates in my opinion.

61. satchseven says: Aug 26, 2015 5:07 AM

why? it was self-defense by the lewis crew. amazing how folks will back criminals against black folks.the ex-cons who had just got out of prison attacked ray and his friends and got killed.if they did not violate parole by leaving the state of ohio they may still be here instead of in a coffin