Ryan Mallett missing from Texans practice, and they won’t say why

Getty Images

Two days after saying he was “angry” about losing the starting quarterback competition to Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett was not at Texans practice today.

According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, Texans coach Bill O’Brien didn’t expound on the absence, setting the stage for truckloads of speculation.

That’s between Ryan and I,” coach Bill O’Brien said of his absence, and later adding: “That’s a personal issue with him.”

Mallett was at practice Wednesday since being demoted, and when asked if he’d be back at practice tomorrow, O’Brien replied: “I would think so.”

Unless they’re just saving something for “Hard Knocks,” it’s hard to imagine the point of not clarifying this one. When an admitted angry guy goes missing, there’s going to be plenty of people wondering why. And if it’s nothing serious, it’s pretty easy to say that too.

49 responses to “Ryan Mallett missing from Texans practice, and they won’t say why

1. I didn’t look it up, but I heard on Doug Gottlieb’s show yesterday that Hoyer had the same numbers last year as Geno Smith. I just don’t understand why you resign Mallett and choose not to see what he can do.

2. Wow, I wonder if he’s asking for a trade. I saw them both live several times at Patriots training camp practices. Arm-wise, Mallet was comparable to Brady, and Hoyer was slightly less accurate. But the thing I took away from Mallett was his inconsistency, the same opinion I had of him coming out of Arkansas. One play he’ll thread a needle for a first down and maybe more, the very next play he’s throwing into coverage for a near-pick with two or three defenders in the area. I think this is Mallett’s 4th year, I think he’s tired of backing up and is dead set on starting somewhere. Whether he’s a bona fide starter or not is a big question mark, but I’m sure that he is in his mind, and he’s getting antsy.

3. Lol there’s every reason not to clarify anything for the media at any time.

O’Brien got his “how to deal with the media” lessons from Belichick. Do you really think you’re ever going to get much from him ?

4. Dude kinda seems like the kind of guy that could snap at any minute. WAAYYY too high-strung and full of himself. It was reported he was very upset at being named the backup in Houston so I hope if he’s out doing something stupid that it’s nothing that causes harm to anyone else.

5. grumpyoleman says:
    Aug 27, 2015 12:56 PM
    Or maybe it’s none of our business.

———————————————

Actually at the level this sport is played, yes, it is our business. If it wasn’t this would be high school football. The fans are what make this league. They just forgot that with so many fans. Ryan can step out of the limelight any time he wants by filing retirement paperwork.

6. Brian Hoyer is back at it again. Peter King just released the story a few weeks ago how Brian created an awful environment in the Browns QB room alienating Manziel.

There were also rumours that people in Brian camp were the ones leaking info on Johnnys issues.

There’s not a doubt in my mind this has something to do with Mallet and Hoyer.

I warned the Texans fans about how Brian is in the locker room, and how he throws teammates under the bus during pressers.

Conspiracy

7. The Texans better hope their defense can account for 10 points every game, because their offense will be lucky to get seven.

8. Brian Hoyer is in way over his head as an NFL QB. The Texans have a good team too, but they’re in QB hell.

9. Foster’s gone. . . our offense can’t punch it in from the 2. . .

Our backup QB is in a snit. . . Our starting QB reminds me of how we started last year with Fitz. . .

Are we seeing the beginning of a team imploding?

10. All these people talking about the Bills having the worst QB situation in the league, but I’ll tell you what, I’d take the Bills current QB situation over the ones in Houston, NY (jets), Cleveland and even Washington…

11. billswillnevermove says:
    Aug 27, 2015 12:22 PM

Maybe he took a trip to Oakland and was asking Vanessa Del Rio about the starting gig. He could step in right away over Carr. Guy is a bust.
    **********************************************
    With that name not room to talk playboy take a gander at your own QB situation Cassel, EJ & Tyrod Talor? C’mon now…at least Texans named a starter.

12. Fitz had a 95 QBR last year. No way either of these jokers get anywhere near that this year. Not sure what BOB is thinking.

13. texansdude says:
    Aug 27, 2015 12:46 PM

Does anyone remember that MASH episode when Frank Burns ran away when he didn’t get promoted after Col. Blake left?

—————————————–

Just us old guys. Thanks a lot–Now I have to fish through that complete MASH set to find that damn episode–early in Season 4 I will assume.

okay, back to football now….

14. cantescapekarma says:
    Aug 27, 2015 1:39 PM

——————

I would take Mallet over any of the QBs on the Bills or Jets.

15. Carr looks to be a possible mid to top tier QB in the near future. That quote is either lacking the sarcasm font, or lacking common sense. Also, Hoyer is a poor man’s Fitzpatrick and that’s pretty sad.

16. playgroundlgnd says:Aug 27, 2015 1:15 PM

_______________________

You mean perennial pot stirrer and NFL lap dog, Peter King? Pfffft. You’re better off reading the comics section of your local paper.

17. bbfe says:
    Aug 27, 2015 1:10 PM

grumpyoleman says:
    Aug 27, 2015 12:56 PM
    Or maybe it’s none of our business.

———————————————

—-
    The explanation is fine. It is a PERSONAL issue. That means it is nobody’s business, including the fans. Everyone has personal stuff come up once in a while that takes a day out of work to fix…even NFL players. If the guy got a bad tuna sandwich and has diarrhea, do you think he wants it splashed all over the papers?

Get over yourself and your “right to know.” You have a right to buy your tickets. or not. O’Brien said he expects him back tomorrow, and he isn’t starting, so who cares, anyway?

18. It is truly a personal issue, then it’s something that Mallett should address himself. If he’s just upset about losing the starting job, then it’s an issue for the coach & the GM to handle with him, in private, not in the press.

19. We’ll assume he’s pouting.

This is exactly the kind of behavior you get when you raise kids the way many people encourage. Add in Griffin’s antics for the Redskins, and you’ll see what I mean.

There’s a reason these kids are referred to as the ‘special snowflake’ generation.

Everything is connected, everything matters. If you have a weakling in the White House, it seems…’ok’ to raise weakling sons. But progressivism is good, right? Don’t pretend progressivism is new to Obama, it’s been around for 100 years, getting traction in the 60s. Just about the time for 2 generations to be raised into adulthood, hmmmmm.

20. Mallett is upset because he’s come to the realization that his NFL dream is over. Because that’s what it means when you can’t beat out Brian Hoyer.

21. There’s practice. . . and there’s games.

Last Season Mallett and Hoyer when head to head.

Mallett 20 for 30. . . .Hoyer 20 for 50

Pre Season Mallett 15 for 18 . . . Hoyer 9 for 15

Easy to blame Mallett. . . but the Coach that got rid of Fitz and Case who won 8 of his games last season designated the guy who won the other one as backup. . . basically saying I the coach had it all wrong last season. . . but now I have Hoyer. . .