Tom Brady calls out Coca-Cola, Frosted Flakes as “poison for kids”

Recently, Tom Brady’s personal exercise and diet guru, Alex Guerrero, has come under fire for being, as Boston Magazine dubbed Guerrero, a “glorified snake-oil salesman.” On Monday, Brady defended Guerrero — while also taking aim at a pair of American institutions.

I disagree with a lot of things that people tell you to do,” Brady said on WEEI. “You’ll probably go out and drink Coca-Cola and think, ‘€˜Oh yeah, that’s no problem.’ Why? Because they pay lots of money for advertisements to think that you should drink Coca-Cola for a living? No, I totally disagree with that. And when people do that, I think that’s quackery. And the fact that they can sell that to kids? I mean, that’s poison for kids. But they keep doing it. And obviously you guys may not have a comment on that because maybe that’s what your belief system is. So you do whatever you want, you live the life you want. . . .

“I think we’ve been lied to by a lot of food companies over the years, by a lot of beverage companies over the years. But we still do it. That’s just America, and that’s what we’ve been conditioned to. We believe that Frosted Flakes is a food. . . . You just keep eating those things, and you keep wondering why we have just incredible rates of disease in our country. No one thinks it has anything to do with what we put in our body.”

Brady’s assault on Coke and Tony the Tiger was sparked by the attack on Guerrero, who once got on the wrong side of the Federal Trade Commission by claiming that a drink called NeuroSafe could help athletes recover from concussions faster. (Russell Wilson approves of this message.)

Brady and Guerrero are now in business together, preaching the power of prevention. It’s quite likely that, after Brady retires from the NFL, he’ll focus on growing that business, persuading athletes and/or their parents to spend a bunch of money for avocado ice cream and other stuff aimed at making the body not break or crack or fray when facing the normal physical forces that come from playing football.

Regardless of whether their methods are effective, plenty of people will fork over plenty of cash in the hopes that there’s a way to counter the realities of basic Newtonian physics, as applied to human bones, tendons, muscles, and ligaments.

Permalink 160 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
160 Responses to “Tom Brady calls out Coca-Cola, Frosted Flakes as “poison for kids””
  1. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 12, 2015 4:23 PM

Frosted Flakes are bad…

… cheating is GRRRRRREAT ! ! !

2. bigbadbills says: Oct 12, 2015 4:24 PM

“I disagree with a lot of things that people tell you to do,” Mainly when told not to cheat.

3. marima07 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:24 PM

…and what’s the issue with that?

4. juice08 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:24 PM

I bet Brady is an anti-vaxxer too.

5. bbfe says: Oct 12, 2015 4:24 PM

I’m a fan of TB12, and now I feel deflated. Keep it to yourself Tom, keep it to yourself.

6. hogue34 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:25 PM

It is truth! Both are posion and are why we are the most out of shape country in the world. Kids who eat and drink this crap become obese and grow up and become Jets and Colts fans!
    Que haters in 3…2…1……

7. babyjunkie says: Oct 12, 2015 4:25 PM

Listen to this man: He gets the women!

8. mataug says: Oct 12, 2015 4:26 PM

I still remember the time I went to a grocery store and found the item – asparagus water – there. It is exactly what it sounds like, 2-3 pieces asparagus in water. These people will always look for any way to make money off us.

9. Unchained81 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:27 PM

He’s right. Nice to finally hear a prominent figure say it.

10. slayer1224 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:27 PM

The cereal is still good as long as you pour Tom Brady’s concussion water on it.

11. leo133074 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:27 PM

60 minutes did a piece with about sugar being poison. Tom is right.

12. AngryHumanoid says: Oct 12, 2015 4:28 PM

Well it doesn’t take a genius to see that most soda and most cereals ARE bad for you, it’s all sugar and empty calories… having said that I like listening to Tom Brady more when he’s talking about football. He’s as entitled to his opinion as anyone else but yeah: I listen to football players to hear their opinion about football, and given he’s one of the greatest QBs ever to play the game I am more than interested in hearing his opinion on football matters.

13. quincyjwagstaff says: Oct 12, 2015 4:28 PM

Well, “poison” is too strong. But the insane amounts of sugar that kids eat are a big cause of skyrocketing childhood obesity rates.

14. lilrob10201 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:28 PM

Almost everything in this country is bad for you. Life is short so if you enjoy it then do it. Football is bad for you,because of all the long term head injuries people get,but you still play it. Same situation.

15. indymarc says: Oct 12, 2015 4:30 PM

Colts fan here who 100% agrees with Tom on this subject. Most food packaged in boxes are bad for your health. Shop the isles and refrigerated sections only. Thanks for reading my public service announcement.

16. waldoampere says: Oct 12, 2015 4:30 PM

“I think that’s quackery.”

Well, since he’s friends of Donald Trump he should be an expert on quackery.

17. All-American Voltron says: Oct 12, 2015 4:31 PM

After 15 years of Tom Brady so smooth without giving an opinon on anything and remaining so neutral on almost every topic imaginable, I never would’ve imagined that Frosted Flakes would be the thing that unleashed his fury.

18. JSpicoli says: Oct 12, 2015 4:31 PM

Another blowhard

19. learysdisciples says: Oct 12, 2015 4:32 PM

What would Jim Nantz think about these comments?

20. TheDPR says: Oct 12, 2015 4:32 PM

The problem on both sides of this sort of argument is extremism. Of course what you put into your body affects your health. Food does more than supply calories. On the other hand, no food that we’re legally sold in the USA is either a miracle cure or the devil’s poisonous tool. The FDA and the department of Agriculture aren’t 100% shills for “big food” and aren’t going to allow the public to be poisoned on a massive scale that the scare-mongers would have us believe. On the other hand, there is a wealthy and powerful lobby working the system so that less-than-ideal crap can be put on the shelves of our stores.

So what are we to do? Relax. More water, less soda. More fiber, less fat and sugar. More fruit and veggies, less meat and dairy. It’s not rocket science, and the fuel for the extremism on both sides seems not to be health, but money.

21. californiaqid says: Oct 12, 2015 4:32 PM

More extremism from chicks like Jenny McCarthy, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Tom Brady. Everything in moderation, bro.

22. tattooit says: Oct 12, 2015 4:32 PM

He’s right. But the fact is we are all conditioned to think a person saying that is crazy.

I drop my kids off at school and the number of fat kids shuffling out of mini vans and busses is alarming.

When I was a kid. There was one maybe two fat kids in the entire school and they were usually embarrassed by it.

23. nyhealingpoints says: Oct 12, 2015 4:32 PM

As a Chinese medicine practitioner and a huge Jets fan, I’ve come to a cross roads here. But I have to agree with Tom, I would trust his lifestyle (no Giselle jokes) way over the mainstream American crap that people accept. Try putting Coke in your toilet bowl, see how it via the scum.

24. patrickpjm says: Oct 12, 2015 4:32 PM

While there appears to be a lot of reason for skepticism with Brady’s associates I can say that my younger brother did rehab for a sports injury/training at the TB12 facility in Foxboro. He’s never been in better shape.

25. jmdanieli says: Oct 12, 2015 4:33 PM

Tom is correct! Rates of Diabetes in children due to obesity are skyrocketing! Sugar is not good for you!

26. shaggytoodle says: Oct 12, 2015 4:33 PM

Maybe he should call out the parents for getting their kids the means to poison themselves…..

27. bonniebengal says: Oct 12, 2015 4:33 PM

Just wondering if Coke is an NFL sponsor.

28. faulkana says: Oct 12, 2015 4:33 PM

Tom is 100% correct!
    We eat crap, and a whole lot of it!
    I doubt there is a single person that would argue with that.
    We, as a nation, are junkies for fats and sugars. It’s a really tough addiction to break.
    There are “Snake Oil” salesmen out there, but to label sugar cereals and soda as “poison” is dead on!

Brady is 38 years old, playing at an ultra-elite level, through a very mentally taxing year. I certainly would listen to what he was saying. He is doing something right.

29. nyhealingpoints says: Oct 12, 2015 4:34 PM

And for the Vaccination program lovers, the flu shot is the biggest scam in the world right now.

30. isphet71 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:34 PM

He’s right about a lot of the processed food here in America. I mean Frosted Flakes has so much sugar in it you might as well be eating a snickers bar for breakfast. Same with Chobani yogurt. 21 grams of sugar in one little lemon flavored greek yogurt?

It’s insane and I can’t believe people fall for the whole “it has one thing in it that’s good for you, so just completely ignore all of the horrible stuff in it” scam. I’ve become very careful to read nutrition values and have had to cut out a lot of convenience foods because of the absolute insanely high levels of sugar and/or salt in most things.

Oddly, Frosted Flakes isn’t even the worst of the offenders by a large margin at only 11 grams of sugar per serving. Most people probably have 2 servings for breakfast though, so… yeah. A Hershey bar is 24 grams. You might as well have one of those and a mutivitamin for breakfast.

31. shaner329 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:35 PM

People just need to be educated on how to read a nutritional fact label on boxes.

Companies are always going to try and sell you their product whatever way possible. That’s just marketing 101. It’s up to the person to be educated enough to make smart choices.

Coca-Cola and Frosted Flakes are fine – in moderation.

32. joemontanafootball16 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:35 PM

He is right. Corrupt corporations do market poison to kids. I mean, I sometimes eats those delicious poisons, but I realize it’s garbage and not something anyone of any age should do on a regular basis.

33. deltaoracle says: Oct 12, 2015 4:36 PM

He has a wife who’s made millions by helping to sell ridiculous, impractical dresses and shoes (which have probably caused a number of injuries) to women, so maybe he knows what he’s talking about.

34. paulrevereshorse1775 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:36 PM

doctorrustbelt says:
    Oct 12, 2015 4:23 PM

Frosted Flakes are bad…

… cheating is GRRRRRREAT ! ! !

Pats fan here, but I must admit this made me laugh. at least you got a little more creative than the average bozo does.

However as someone that has his share of health concerns, I believe Brady is actually right about soda and sugared cereals. They taste great, but they’re not good for you. In fact a lot of things that taste great aren’t good for you.

I don’t think Brady is out to necessarily preach his lifestyle, however if someone is going to ask him about things he supports, he has the right to voice his opinion, whether you agree with his opinion or not.

35. raider23mike says: Oct 12, 2015 4:38 PM

Respect for Brady

36. dietrich43 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:40 PM

Maybe if Tom wants to hire a personal chef for every household, we would be healthier.

37. fluiddarkness says: Oct 12, 2015 4:40 PM

Lying, cheating, supporting Trump and now dumping on cereal and soda.

You’re going places, Tommy Boy.

38. tigerlilac says: Oct 12, 2015 4:41 PM

Mike, one fact that is not in dispute is that Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen have reached the pinnacle of their respective industries through hard work. Neither was born into this like many of the NFL owners were born into wealth.

Brady is a a role model if you respect hard work and achievement. Instead of theorizing that Brady will be making hoards of cash selling non-traditional products to an adoring public, why not look at what the current and former players are selling to their adoring fans right now? I won’t call out the names, the products they endorse, or the reason why the products should be shunned (health reasons, civic reasons) but wouldn’t that make for a more thoughtful thread?

39. luckyjim1980 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:42 PM

I bet his skill players– Edelman, Lewis, Gronk, Blount, et al.– heartily disagree with him on the subject of sugar. When you expend a lot of calories you have to put those calories back in yourself. If you don’t, welcome to comatoseville.

On Saturday, I rode my bike 15 miles to the gym, did a heavy incline press with dumbells, then rode my bike 15 miles home. At the conclusion of all this, I devoured an enormous meal– including a giant apple fritter filled with vanilla custard and topped with maple frosting. I washed it down with several deep draughts of blue mountain dew. And I’m still a bit lighter…

40. spungy says: Oct 12, 2015 4:44 PM

Maybe that is what Belicheat meant by saying they were “On to Cincinnati”. It was the Frosted Flakes!

41. viper0290 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:44 PM

Brady is a hipster. Probably wears skinny jeans too

42. stlrnut30 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:45 PM

He is only partially right. Kids are not just fatter because of what they eat. It is because they spend all day sitting at computers, playing video games or playing with their cell phones and do not get outside and exercise.

Maybe if they just destroyed their phones they would be better off….oops…too soon:)

43. byrnestj7 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:45 PM

Don’t disagree with his point about sugar “cereal” and Coke but hardly a person worth defending is a snake oil salesman

44. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:46 PM

He’s entirely right about coke. It is a very powerful solvent and horrible for your stomach.

I saw a list of about 50 industrial uses for coke years ago, they included the Coca Cola company using it as a de-greaser for their truck engines, and the state police in many states using it to disolve blood on the pavement after a shooting or stabbing, the list went on and on with its nasty little uses.

45. qdog112 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:46 PM

I’m no Brady fan, but he’s absolutely on the mark. I guess he lost some right wing support for relying on the science they don’t believe.

I’m able to separate deflationgate from his stance on nutrition.

46. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 12, 2015 4:48 PM

He brings up some interesting things to think about. I just denied my neighbor’s request to pick up some Oreos for her when she told me she was planning on sharing them with a child, and I wouldn’t feel comfortable buying soda pop for my kids or somebody else’s.

Maybe it’s time to start taxing these companies an extra premium if their products are creating negative health effects, and those dollars could go to fund health care programs. This could be an interesting question to reference during the debate tomorrow to see what Presidential candidates would weigh in with on this recent headline.

47. osiris33 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:48 PM

Switch to Dr. Pepper cheater.

48. harrywarden15 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:49 PM

Pretty sure football has been determined to be really bad for longterm health so he should retire immediately otherwise he’s a hypocrite…

49. vikings1234 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:50 PM

Someone used permanent markers on a whiteboard at work. The Expo White Board cleaner would not remove it, nor did hot coffee. Someone suggested using Coke and it worked.

50. tigerlilac says: Oct 12, 2015 4:51 PM

Some excellent posts above. My wife is diabetic, which came on later in life, and now reads labels religiously. Just reading the carbs and sodium in different foods is enlightening. It’s amazing what walking every day and eating with a little more thoughtfulness can do do for our health. I kick myself for not doing a better job of this with my kids because it (what we ate) was the one tradition in my upbringing I never questioned as I grew up.

51. jag1959 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:51 PM

Guy had an infection after knee surgery and was told further surgeries would probably be required and he would most likely miss another year. Maintains his regimen and returns as comeback player of the year and MVP the year after. He is on his second 100+ consecutive games streak despite the hits he takes.

Eli follows a holistic lifestyle as well and he has never missed a start despite playing behind some horrific lines that for years have had him looking like a human pinata.

They must be doing something right.

52. seehawksgo says: Oct 12, 2015 4:52 PM

Just because he’s starting to sound like Gary Busey doesn’t mean he’s wrong.

Coke is poison. Frosted Flakes are poison. Maybe not the kind of poison that kills with one bite. But they kill all the same.

53. naes says: Oct 12, 2015 4:53 PM

I don’t understand why you’re using a snarky tone for this post.

Tom Brady is in phenomenal shape. He’s only a couple years younger than Manning, but he looks spry and athletic today. Brady looks like a guy who has been in the league for 5-6 years the way he moves in the pocket and zips the ball around. The announcers yesterday were talking about how he is throwing the ball as hard as ever.

Clearly the nutritional, lifting, cardio and maintenance programs he is on are working.

So why do you try to downplay it and suggest he’s going to sell techniques that don’t work after he retires?

You hate Brady, we get it. But don’t down play what a stud athlete he is.

For the record, I’m a Giants fan. But Brady is great. Period, the end.

54. beastmode5150 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:53 PM

Coke sucks, Frosted Flakes are delicious and have vitamins and minerals. yes, lots of sugar, but still. Shut up Brady, you are one of those people that says “i would never eat mcdonalds” but does.

55. olskool711 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:54 PM

Been PO’d at Brady since the appeal.

…Maybe its time for me to forgive and forget.

56. vin904 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:54 PM

Our food system is in the toilet, big name food companies feed us poison and pass it off as “food” Fix the food system and it will fix the health system! Good for Brady.

57. nosleeptilsb says: Oct 12, 2015 4:56 PM

Elvis does not approve of this message, and has gladly poured Log Cabin syrup over it and ate it.

58. portispocketsstr8 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:57 PM

What about Pepsi Tom… it ok to drink Pepsi???

59. frankfortschooldropout says: Oct 12, 2015 4:57 PM

There is entirely too much sugar in everything sold in the stores, and the government still subsidizes sugar production with no end in sight. Here’s the fun part: Two brothers own a huge sugar producing company (Domino Sugar is one of their brands). One donates and raises money for democrats, the other donates and raises money for Republicans. Thanks to those subsidies, sugar is cheaper in the US than anywhere else so it’s cost effective to put it in everything. I don’t see this injustice ending soon.

60. stillers213 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:58 PM

Not a Brady fan, but he’s right. We all know or have seen a parent filling their 3-year old’s sippie cup with soda. People wonder why the obesity rate is so high in this country? I’ll have a double big mac, and extra large french fries, and a DIET coke please.

61. bencoates57 says: Oct 12, 2015 4:58 PM

Whew! Thank God I’m not a kid anymore.

62. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Oct 12, 2015 5:00 PM

Brady is a FROSTED FAKE

63. goldenbearflyer says: Oct 12, 2015 5:00 PM

Good for Brady, speaking the truth. He is absolutely correct. I hope people listen and take this issue about too much sugar seriously.

64. surfinbird1 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:00 PM

Ask your doctor if Brady is correct.

65. phillycheez says: Oct 12, 2015 5:02 PM

Kids who eat frosted flakes and drink coke are in great shape….round

66. thefatlazygamer says: Oct 12, 2015 5:02 PM

When is Brady going to learn that you don’t make friends with salad? Maybe this is why no one gives him a high-five.

67. patfanken says: Oct 12, 2015 5:04 PM

First it should be noted that Brady didn’t bring this conversation up. It was the vultures on the radio looking for a salacious story.

Second, the guy he is partners with had his “issues” with the FTC many years before Brady met him. It was through Willie McGinest, btw

Third, if you just looked at the personal success of Brady’s heath program for an athlete of his age, you might stop and listen to what he has to say. He’s had some remarkable success with it.

Fourth, Brady preaches that everything is OK in moderation. He’s not messianic about it. He also believes that it takes hard work and discipline to do what he does. Like everything in life, you have to work at it.

68. patsbrat says: Oct 12, 2015 5:05 PM

High Fructose Corn Syrup is the culprit.

69. wabbitslayer says: Oct 12, 2015 5:05 PM

Couldn’t agree more.
    That’s why I eat Froot Loops and Pepsi.

70. dideveryoneinPAflunkscience says: Oct 12, 2015 5:05 PM

harrisonhits2 says:
    Oct 12, 2015 4:46 PM

Also used to keep the padding underneath the arena football carpet from sliding.

71. dideveryoneinPAflunkscience says: Oct 12, 2015 5:06 PM

we use 7 up to clean floor grout in the restrooms. Commercial cleaners don’t work as well.

72. daysend564 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:06 PM

That image of Tom at the combine shows he spent quite a bit of time with Frosted Flakes and Coca Cola.

73. jagsfanugh says: Oct 12, 2015 5:07 PM

I drink coke but don’t eat sugary cereals. In reality most of what we eat is chemical garbage. GMO is a ton of food and drink.

74. filmex2000 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:09 PM

I put Coke on my Frosted Flakes. Does that mean I can’t also drink his magic Jesus Juice?

75. kevpft says: Oct 12, 2015 5:10 PM

Brady’s right.

76. boknowsthis says: Oct 12, 2015 5:10 PM

The only 30 seconds of existence that I liked Tom Brady…whew, glad it’s over

77. Dogsweat says: Oct 12, 2015 5:10 PM

I was always suspicious of Snap, Crackle and Pop, they were a little too close.

78. daysend564 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:12 PM

There is a spot in hell for someone that won’t pick up Oreos for their neighbor.

79. steelcurtainn says: Oct 12, 2015 5:12 PM

The cheater is now actually trying to be a nutritionist. Stick to what you do best Shady which is cheating and deflating footballs.

80. bassplucker says: Oct 12, 2015 5:13 PM

Beer and pizza, however, is A-OK.

81. beastmode5150 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:15 PM

Sometimes i eat a HUGE bowl of sugary cereal, then go ride 100 miles on my bike, downing glucose packs and clif bars along the way. Man, i am so unhealthy.

82. tb12bestqbevah says: Oct 12, 2015 5:17 PM

It is poison for kids. It’s also poison for adults, except the adults know better but drink/eat it anyway. Kids don’t know any better.

Hate Tom Brady all you want, but look around at the obesity epidemic in this country. Do yourself a favor and take a look at the cereal aisle in any grocery store. It’s wall to wall sugar and empty calories. Period.

Same with the ‘soda’ aisle.

Diabetes is off the charts in this country.

Thus endeth the lesson.

83. hamlet423 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:21 PM

So Tom’s buddy and business partner Alex Guerrero has a shady history. He has been cited by the FTC for selling a fraudulent cancer cure and then a fraudulent concussion treatment.

When faced with the allegations against Alex Guerrero Brady attacks frosted flakes and coca-cola. How about you address the people that bought the cancer cure that thought it worked? How about you address that Guerrero claimed he cured 200 people with the herbal supplement, only to later admit he made it up. And ask why Guerrero no long lists himself as Dr. Guerrero.

Talk about Frosted Flakes and Coca-Cola all you want. I am pretty sure neither Kellogs or Coca-Cola forced Guerrero to give dying cancer patients false hope at a premium price.

84. skawh says: Oct 12, 2015 5:21 PM

No one called him a “cheater” more than me…but he’s RIGHT!

Call out Monsanto while you’re at it, and the lame in the pocket of big corporations FDA!

Nothing new here, as Corporations have been “feeding” the masses propaganda for nearly 2 centuries. Check the history of chemicals such as ETHYL aka LEAD promoted and sold as good for your health during the 20’s…don’t be a victim.

85. mullman76 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:24 PM

Vaccinations are the ultimate in ‘Big Brother’ control of the masses.

Pumping newborn infants full of poison for Hep B is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever encountered.

Those who think otherwise are just adhering to what the bought and paid for medical industry are preaching.

Ours is the greatest country in the world, but it is fundamentally flawed on so many levels.

The fools who are militant about vaccines are usually the same people who believe the Earth is 4,000 years old-DESPITE the imperical evidence stating otherwise.

The medical “facts” published by the medical “INDUSTRY” are not to be trusted.

Shake yourself people.

86. jgedgar70 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:25 PM

The premise of what he said is correct, but he ruined it with the hyperbole. No, Coke and Frosted Flakes are not poison. Are they terrible for your health? Certainly. But they are not poison. Arsenic is poison. Coke & Frosted Flakes are not.

We just have to be sensible and reasonable, and be grown-ups. Anyone who buys something because of an add doesn’t think for him/herself. I am my own man and I’ll buy what I want to buy. I think the cow commercials are the best ad campaign of all time, but I still only go to Chick-Fil-A about once a month.

Like others have said, everything in moderation. This is especially true for kids. You forbid a child from having a certain thing, that certain thing is the only thing on Earth they will want. You just have to be sensible about how much they consume. And limit the amount of time they can sit in front of an electronic device (TV, computer, smartphone, video game) and that will help them as much as good food will.

In the end, a bumper sticker I saw many years ago said it best: “Eat right, exercise daily, and die anyway.”

87. conormacleod says: Oct 12, 2015 5:26 PM

Wow. Just wow. Isn’t there an in-between for “it’s good for you” and “it’s poison”?

Nobody is dying because they had a Coke and a bowl of yummy frosted flakes this week Tom.

88. realfootballfan says: Oct 12, 2015 5:26 PM

He’s right. Soda especially is poison in a bottle with all of those chemicals in it.

89. dumbaseinstien says: Oct 12, 2015 5:29 PM

Coca-Cola & Frosted Flakes call out Brady’s cheating behavior as “Poison for Kids”. Most all other companies agreed, except for the ‘Under Armer’ company, which is now boycotted by my family due to their choice to use that slime-ball cheater Brady in their commercials.

90. jag1959 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:34 PM

steelcurtainn says:

The only thing he’s ever been proven to have deflated was the opposition. Percentage wise the Steelers are right up there among them. As a cynical Giants fan I can’t help but wonder with all the evidence out there showing framegate for what it is if your allegiance is coloring your perception and keeping you from appreciating that he is one of the GOATs.

91. dualprime says: Oct 12, 2015 5:34 PM

I wonder how Tom feels about Papa John’s?

92. tonebones says: Oct 12, 2015 5:37 PM

Laugh and poke fun at Brady all you want, but don’t be hard-headed when it comes to your kids. I don’t know if you think your kids are worth the effort, but educate yourself. If you do your research on sugar, and find it to be healthy, feed it to your kids. If not, throw it away. But don’t let your opinion of Brady hurt your kids. Those poor little guys depend on your decisions. PS, you don’t even have to admit Brady told you.

93. cadreamer1969 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:38 PM

Right on, Tom. I was advised to eat < 25 g of sugar and a combined total of < 75 g of sugar and carbs a day. Fabulous advice. Some fruit/fruit juices have a lot of sugar.

Haters continue to hate.

94. johnnycantread says: Oct 12, 2015 5:41 PM

Not everyone is rich enough to eat Chateaubriand and drink Cabernet Sauvignon at every meal.

95. finchy74 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:44 PM

I consume little else than coke and I’m doing FANTASTIC.

Someone once mentioned to me that there’s a beverage of the same name.

96. wackojob117 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:48 PM

Maybe Frosted Flakes will replace Tony the Tiger with Roger the Goodell.

97. ymca2014 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:48 PM

Brady may be right. But he probably is just looking for make up sex with Gisele. 😉

98. steelersfanfromtheseventies says: Oct 12, 2015 5:50 PM

Sugar is bad for kids to be eating and is a major contributor obesity.
    With that being said we as kids ate that crap by the truck loads we were never obese. Oh that’s right we actually went outside and played and didn’t have the opportunity to sit around on our cans and play mindless computer games for hours on end.

99. scmems07 says: Oct 12, 2015 5:50 PM

Your one of the most prominent pro athletes, a role model to kids, and your career is shrouded by cheating scandals… Good call there Tom

100. ragnarthemagnificent says: Oct 12, 2015 5:51 PM

Coming from a guy who is always on the injury report but never actually injured its hard to disagree with you Mr Brady. On this point we are in conjunction.

101. 6ball says: Oct 12, 2015 5:51 PM

I’m guessing that the author may not live in a health conscious region and also may not frequent a variety of supermarkets.

Over the past decade most of the new items on the shelves of stores have a health component. Looks at the growth of turkey products or soy milk The days of three aisles of chocolate covered twinkies is over.

Regional chains like Florida based, Publix, are clobbering Walmart, in part due to their commitment to healthier food products.

102. Chris says: Oct 12, 2015 5:59 PM

Pepsi: Official Sponsor of the NFL

103. myeaglescantwin says: Oct 12, 2015 5:59 PM

he’s 100% correct.

The things that companies get away with is ridiculous.
    All because of paid legislation. Aka lobbying.

Just like the poison that is alcohol being glorified, while this nations youth is imprisoned for carrying a naturally growing herb.

104. tomtravis76 says: Oct 12, 2015 6:02 PM

The folks in sponsorship sales for the Pats just have to grin and bear it.

105. dalvar1001 says: Oct 12, 2015 6:04 PM

He’s right and cigarette companies are the devil and alcohol companies damage society much more that they help it with jobs. Tell it like it is..

106. guitarfreak21 says: Oct 12, 2015 6:05 PM

It’s true America’s live for the moment attitude especially in the way of food, is most definitely killing people and kids. Most people don’t need to talk to a doc to know if they would approve their diets. Ignorance is bliss… until it’s not anymore.

107. sueb45 says: Oct 12, 2015 6:06 PM

conormacleod says:
    Oct 12, 2015 5:26 PM

He’s not saying they do, he’s saying a steady diet of foods like those are poison to your body and he’s right. You are what you eat.

108. sueb45 says: Oct 12, 2015 6:09 PM

Pour a coke on your car and leave it for awhile, it will eat through your paint……..then think about whether you want to give it to your kid to drink.

109. puckskin says: Oct 12, 2015 6:13 PM

Here we go, slam Brady for speaking the truth. The guy takes care of himself and he’s the ultimate professional, but let’s just tear him down to our level. If you clowns don’t agree with Brady then you probably have Dorito stained fingers and I hope you spill your big gulp on your keyboard.

110. bksk07 says: Oct 12, 2015 6:15 PM

While Tom is right about corn syrup drenched, chemically and hormonally infused food being horrid for the body, his boy there is a complete rainmaker.
    If it works he made it rain, if it doesn’t it is something else’s fault.

111. boogerhut says: Oct 12, 2015 6:18 PM

Oh man, I can see it now. Moments after retirement he’s going to join forces with Tom Cruise and Suzanne Somers (claims she has never farted since changing her diet 30 years ago) and they will conquer the WORLD!

112. rajbais says: Oct 12, 2015 6:25 PM

I never knew that Tom brady turned into john oliver.

Then again, any fastfood chain Oliver has ripped was a sponsor of the NFL.

113. bucsorbust says: Oct 12, 2015 6:39 PM

Before you know it, Brady is going to think he is Dr. Ruth. He and Belicheat ought to be Partners on Dancing with the Stars.

114. Karnak says: Oct 12, 2015 6:41 PM

Proctor & Gamble helped to launch the American Heart Association (AHA), Crisco is owned by P&G and makes margarine and other heavy vegetable oil bases cooking products. By funding questionable research, AHA promoted the idea of reducing or eliminating animals fats by substituting vegetable fats. We now know that vegetable fats can actually be more harmful than animal fats, especially when used in large quantities and heated to cook with. The issue with sugar in our food is that much of it is very complex sugars based on corn, this stuff is much more likely to stored as fat than metabolized. There are all sorts of consequences of these products in our diet and Brady was right to point that out.

115. suhmonster90 says: Oct 12, 2015 6:45 PM

Meanwhile, Marshawn Lynch is beast mode on a diet of Skittles and grown men’s tears. What works for some isn’t always the best way.

116. scmems07 says: Oct 12, 2015 6:49 PM

Water sucks… It really really sucks…

117. hockeyflow30 says: Oct 12, 2015 7:17 PM

None of what he said is wrong

118. lemmetalkwouldya says: Oct 12, 2015 7:28 PM

beastmode5150 says:
    Oct 12, 2015 4:53 PM

You obviously aren’t from Boston.

In an interview with WEEI last year, Brady was asked about his eating habits; he said there are lots of foods he would love to eat, but doesn’t. He specifically said that McDonald’s was not one of those foods he craves.

119. itsnotreallycomplicated says: Oct 12, 2015 7:39 PM

He’s right, you know.

120. captainwhodat says: Oct 12, 2015 8:07 PM

guess he couldn’t get Tony to shout: he’s great!!!

121. mediasloppy says: Oct 12, 2015 8:40 PM

I’d like to know how many of the Tom Brady defenders taking this stance when it comes from the first ladies mouth…

122. istateyourname says: Oct 12, 2015 9:20 PM

Hey you FAT kids, get off my lawn!!!

123. mrloser444 says: Oct 12, 2015 9:28 PM

Well, if we all had our own personal diet gurus, it wouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately, we don’t!
    And BTW, I’ve been drinking Coke for years and I feel GRRRRREAT!!!

124. philliephaninva says: Oct 12, 2015 9:39 PM

He is however a fan of puffed rice and Airheads.

125. catquick says: Oct 12, 2015 9:47 PM

Abandoning your yet to be born son for a model is worse for kids.

126. bricketh says: Oct 12, 2015 9:57 PM

I don’t necessarily agree with everything Brady does, but his comment was that this is what works for him… He wants to tell people about what he does that works for him so they can try it and see if it works for them, if they so choose. He isn’t pushing anything, and his response on the topic was after he was backed into a corner by the radio hosts. They wanted to question him on his business partnership with Guerrero at TB12, and he was trying to dance around it. Truthfully, he shouldn’t be questioned about Guerrero’s past issues or dealings, as he isn’t (afaik) selling anyone on a cancer cure or anything. He is simply eating healthy (lots of veggies, he says) to try to prevent injury versus getting an injury and being treated for it. Other than his blown ACL in 2008, he has remained remarkably healthy over the last 10 years of his career, especially in light of his age. I think he used some strong words against Coke and Frosted Flakes, but even admitted that those kinds of things are ok in moderation, but that people over-indulge in such things. He mentioned that some of the things that “Western Medicine” does for people in reaction to disease is “quackery” when he was being drilled on why he is in business with Guerrero. He then explained his diet and choices in response to their questions, and was trying to keep from discussing the article or his partnership, and kept just talking about his own beliefs and stance on health and diet. He didn’t tell anyone else to stop drinking Coke or stop eating cereal, he just stated his preference. They were attacking Brady for something the other guy did before Brady even knew him. That said, Brady’s beliefs are his own, and while he is welcome to share them, I don’t necessarily agree with everything he says. I don’t think we have the ability to do all of these things to prevent injury, and some of that is good fortune. He may well have the miracle cure for all that ails the world, but it isn’t for everyone and won’t likely prevent injuries to everyone who uses his methods. Eating healthier foods, and making better choices in what you put into your body is definitely the right course of action, but it doesn’t mean everyone will have the same rate of success Brady has had with injuries. He may strongly believe in his methods, and they may be proven right one day, but there are very few facts to support that extreme….

127. dcraiders says: Oct 12, 2015 10:14 PM

A tad…… Auto correct sucks

128. mrthumbs says: Oct 12, 2015 10:18 PM

Your body needs sugar to survive. Glucose to be exact. Nerve cells only use this. You need sugar oneway or another.

129. azvato says: Oct 12, 2015 10:21 PM

Ok Brady. You got the wife, rings, talent but I’ll be damned if I am gonna stand by and let you trash my Frosted Flakes!!

130. cmdrsmooth says: Oct 12, 2015 11:50 PM

Jets fan agrees with Tommy Boy here. It’s bad for your health. Stay healthy America. Deflate Sugar content in your diet.

131. antneejay2 says: Oct 13, 2015 2:25 AM

“Your body needs sugar to survive.”
    – mrthumbs

How many pounds per day?

132. pressytodd says: Oct 13, 2015 3:57 AM

Are tom and alex with there super recovery drink that thay both say fixes concussion syndrome. both involved in the no talk jr seau agreement with neurosafe…..?

133. streetyson says: Oct 13, 2015 6:45 AM

But are my Flutie Flakes OK? And don’t sugar-coat your answer!

134. steelerscheerleaderinwitnessprotection says: Oct 13, 2015 8:07 AM

All-American Voltron says:Oct 12, 2015 4:31 PM

Lmao!!! This comment literally made milk fly out of my nose back into the bowl of frosted flakes it was ransacked from moments before. That made my day! Now off to buy some coca cola and pour it on my cars engine to degrease it. (That’s what coca cola co. uses to clean their fleets engines incase that reference made no sense to you)

135. orrnumberfour says: Oct 13, 2015 8:53 AM

Tom is the greatest living American.

136. fwippel says: Oct 13, 2015 9:04 AM

Oh for crying out loud, really? Like we need Tom Brady to tell us how to eat now?

Look, anyone who cares about their children isn’t going to let them indulge in junk food; we all get that. But back when I was a kid, we occasionally drank soda, often ate frosted flakes or other sugary cereals, and then went out and played all day long during the summer, and after school during the school year, and we were as thin as rails. We called it “having fun”; it’s what today’s “educated” class labels “exercise.

It isn’t the fault of Coca-Cola or Kellogg’s that too many children today spend most of that same time (during the summer and after school) either playing video games on XBox or Ipads or smartphones, or spend that time on facebook, twitter, instagram and any other social media outlet they can find, instead of going outside and having fun.

Quit blaming everyone else for the fact that your own kids are fat – take away their smartphones, Ipads and tablets, and send them outside to play baseball, basketball, tag, or even capture the flag. But blaming Kellogg’s and Coca-Cola? God forbid, get a life.

137. littletommy1958 says: Oct 13, 2015 9:08 AM

I’ve questioned his judgement since the moment he dumped Bridget Moynahan.

138. RegisHawk says: Oct 13, 2015 9:56 AM

Yep, he’s cracking up…

139. firstrealm ©2006 & First News Site ©2006 says: Oct 13, 2015 10:46 AM

These exercise guys don’t live a long life & science proves it then tells why. I’ve had relatives who drank coke all day long or Pepsi & those men lived to be nearly 100.

140. dcraiders says: Oct 13, 2015 11:38 AM

What would you recommend tom a bowl of Cheaties, I mean Wheaties.

141. quadryismail says: Oct 13, 2015 12:12 PM

Vaccines kill.

142. truthguru says: Oct 13, 2015 12:39 PM

It’s truly amazing how many “mainstream” people are crapping on Brady for taking care of his body. For people saying “keep it to yourself”…he was asked QUESTIONS in an INTERVIEW. Why don’t you educate yourselves rather than making quick judgments because of how any article was framed by the media.

If you want to give your children a bowl of Frosted Flakes in Coca Cola, go for it. That’s called slow death. Our diet in this country is one of the world’s worst. That’s a FACT.

The US leaves in a variety of very preventable conditions such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and so on.

What Tom Brady is attempting to achieve is not abnormal. The haters are just part of the problem. The problem that gives the food industry billions for promote poor health choices to children and adults.

143. drocity says: Oct 13, 2015 1:12 PM

beastmode5150 says:
    Oct 12, 2015 4:53 PM

Actually, if you listen to the rest of the interview Tom goes on to say “everything in moderation” and that he enjoys some of those guilty pleasures now and again also. But he believes in his lifestyle and training methods because they have allowed him to play at a high level for so long.

It’s hard to argue the results, though we are not all elite athletes.

At the end of the day, Guerrro has some good ideas that clearly work. He has many testimonials, not just from professional athletes. It is also clear, to me, that earlier in his career he made some poor choices and associated with some people he should not have. I hope for his sake and Tom’s that he is a changed man and will market his methods and products honestly for TB12.

144. johnnyblumpkin says: Oct 13, 2015 2:57 PM

NFL quarterback and a leading nutrishionist?! Is there anything that Tom Brady can’t do? I bet he’d give Jesus Christ a run for his money.

145. olcap says: Oct 13, 2015 4:38 PM

He’s right.

Jack Lalane named sugar as poison to one’s body and health, and he proclaimed that message all his life.

I’m no Brady fan, but when he’s right, he’s right.

146. livefreeordie2011 says: Oct 13, 2015 5:23 PM

sadly , I feel Coke and Frosted Flakes ( very big money companies ) will put a contract out on Tom Terrific . after spouting those oh so truthful allegations .

147. afwhigs says: Oct 14, 2015 7:17 AM

While I believe that Guerrero sounds like a shyster, what Brady is saying about junk food and stuff like that is absolute truth. But, is there really anyone out there arguing that Coke is good for you?

I will also add that if he believes in this topic so strongly, it would be nice to see him involved in some programs to help bring more nutritious food options to disadvantaged areas – the so-called “food deserts” where people don’t have a regular grocery store and so a Quickie Mart or the like may be their only option.

It’s a valid issue, I just wish it wasn’t mixed up with whatever Guerrero is shilling.

148. 3wordanswers says: Oct 14, 2015 9:46 AM

Sugar = the new tobacco……

149. admiral174 says: Oct 14, 2015 10:50 AM

He can say things like that now since he has 0 percent of being a national spokesman for anything.

No one outside New England wants a Cheater hawking their goods.

150. dcraiders says: Oct 14, 2015 12:33 PM

Tom brady is a P@ssy, who married a gazelle, and Cheats for a living !!!!!

151. varangia says: Oct 14, 2015 7:45 PM

Americans are fat as hell, but its not because of Frosted Flakes and Coke. It’s just overeating in general, and not enough calories burned while working and playing.

152. EJ says: Oct 15, 2015 8:48 AM

This coming from a guy who eats GMO’s(genetically modified organisms) just as much as the guy next to him does… hypocritical much Tom?

153. breadmeatcheese says: Oct 15, 2015 9:26 AM

a bowl of coke will dissolve a raw steak. it is hard on the stomach lining and causes IBS (ass-cano syndrome).

154. breadmeatcheese says: Oct 15, 2015 9:27 AM

coke is bad m’kay. so don’t drink it m’kay.

155. zemongoose says: Oct 15, 2015 3:26 PM

Maybe Brady has a point. To prove it, simply have the refs keep their flags in their pockets when he Patriots are on offense when there are late hits/unneccesary roughness/roughing the passer calls.

156. danjamesfootballin says: Oct 15, 2015 9:43 PM

Tom Brady = is the GOAT and not just for what he does on the field. It’s refreshing to hear someone successful tell it like it is. Kids hear about this stuff too and don’t think for a minute it doesn’t have an effect on them.

Also, the way he handles the haters and the media. While they try to taint his name, in the end it comes back on them and everyone looks bad but him.

157. realqc says: Oct 16, 2015 8:41 AM

Nice Brady…. I’m pretty sure one of your advertisers, Coca-Cola (owners of Glaceau smartwater), will not appreciate the uninformed dribble falling out of your mouth. You are a football player, not a nutritionist. Do your homework and realize that ANYTHING can be enjoyed in moderation, and NOTHING is good for you if over indulged. Coca-Cola has strict policies on advertising any full calorie beverages to people of certain ages, maybe you should look at the NFL’s title sponsors (Frito Lay, Pepsi, Coors, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell) for people to point the finger at……

158. nyneal says: Oct 16, 2015 8:41 PM

You can say what you want, but Brady is 100% right about Coca-Cola and Frosted Flakes and kids.

If you don’t believe it, try drinking nothing but Coca-Cola and eating nothing but Frosted Flakes at every meal for a couple of weeks and let us know how you feel.
    Have your blood pressure, weight, and other vital signs checked before you start, then let us know how they compare after a few weeks of drinking and eating that garbage.

159. squared80 says: Oct 18, 2015 11:24 AM

He’ll be a spokesman for Pepsi within a week.

160. packergator says: Oct 19, 2015 2:25 PM

It’s this kind of better-than-thou condescension that is one of the major things that makes me hate Tom Brady. It feels like he’s turning up his nose at the people who watch football and who can’t afford the kind of diet and exercise regimen that he has.