Skip to content

Jets cut former first-rounder Quinton Coples

AP

The Jets cut bait on a former first-rounder Monday, waiving outside linebacker Quinton Coples.

Coples started two games this year, and wasn’t exactly lighting it up this year, but his release this late in the season still comes as a surprise.

He was the 16th overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, and had 16.5 sacks in his first three seasons, including a career-best 6.5 last year.

But he hasn’t had a sack this year, and has lost his starting job, with Calvin Pace and Leger Douzable filling those roles. So it’s probably just a matter of time that he ends up in Buffalo, unless someone else claims him first.

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
47 Responses to “Jets cut former first-rounder Quinton Coples”
  1. aldavisjr says: Nov 23, 2015 12:12 PM

    Welcome to the Raiders!

  2. jetsfmleveryday says: Nov 23, 2015 12:15 PM

    See ya!

  3. RogerGoodell✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says: Nov 23, 2015 12:18 PM

    Have fun in Buffalo.

  4. sirxba says: Nov 23, 2015 12:18 PM

    First round of the 2012 Draft is becoming a giant LOL

  5. gojags says: Nov 23, 2015 12:20 PM

    Jerry on line#1.

  6. Obe Wan Jabroni says: Nov 23, 2015 12:20 PM

    Im sure he will be a Capt for the Bills tonight in Foxboro

  7. dansardo says: Nov 23, 2015 12:22 PM

    Another member of Rex’s “Hall of Failure” Dee Millner, Kyle Wilson, and now Coples. We won’t zing him for the failures on the offensive side of the ball (because he doesn’t have any idea about anything related to a team’s offense) but that list is just as impressive, Geno Smith, Brian Winters, Steven Hill and who can ever forget “the Sanchiz”.

    Yes the GM has the final say and rex probably wasn’t allowed to have any input during his final 2 years given how horrible the picks were in his first 4, but there is a reason why Rex talks a better game than his teams play it.

  8. abanig says: Nov 23, 2015 12:22 PM

    I always thought he was miscast in a 3-4 scheme like Vernon Gholston years ago. Two bad first round picks by the jets there.

  9. mjd08501 says: Nov 23, 2015 12:23 PM

    The only way he doesn’t end up in Buffalo is if somebody in front of them claims him. He was decently productive for Rex and the Bills could use the depth.

  10. bassplucker says: Nov 23, 2015 12:25 PM

    Wasn’t he supposed to be the next Julius Peppers coming out of UNC?

  11. blackandbluedivision says: Nov 23, 2015 12:30 PM

    another failed college DE to pro 3-4 OLB transition. Very few can pull it off. But, every year teams try.

  12. putuhstsuj says: Nov 23, 2015 12:32 PM

    Oh well. Coples never really grasped the position change to OLB

  13. realfootballfan says: Nov 23, 2015 12:36 PM

    I doubt even Rex wants that headache. He just never got better just like when he was in college. Well, at least he can say to another former Jets DL bust, Vernon Gholston, at least I had some sacks.

  14. jetsarestacked says: Nov 23, 2015 12:38 PM

    he can play in a 4-3. i wouldn’t really call him a bust as much as just a bad fit for the way the jets defense is constructed. you can do a lot worse than him at end

  15. urmomsmyho says: Nov 23, 2015 12:39 PM

    Todd Bowles is sending a message, hopefully it’s received by the rest of the team.

  16. Irsay's Bong says: Nov 23, 2015 12:39 PM

    Going to Buffalo for sure, and will be captain last game of the year.

  17. billsfan1 says: Nov 23, 2015 12:41 PM

    Then using that logic would indicate that he gets an A plus for Karlos Williams and Ronald Darby…:

  18. jetsfansince1968 says: Nov 23, 2015 12:43 PM

    Never complained, good teammate, accepted a new position he never played , had production under Rex

  19. patriotsdefense says: Nov 23, 2015 12:49 PM

    Chandler Jones was picked 5 picks later.

  20. mackcarrington says: Nov 23, 2015 12:51 PM

    If he didn’t fit in the Jets defense, what makes people think he will fit in Buffalo , when they’re running the same defense?

  21. ravensfan says: Nov 23, 2015 12:54 PM

    Welcome to Baltimore.

  22. cas5875 says: Nov 23, 2015 12:58 PM

    I think he goes unclaimed, as a former 1st round pick, i dont see anyone picking up what remains on the last year of his rookie contract.

    But i think he is signed by someone before this weekend.

    I could see Detroit giving him a test drive, since his size seems more appropriate for a tweener of 4-3 DE and 4-3 DT, he may be able to provide some of that inside pass rush detroit lost with Suh/Fairley. Seriously… 290 is pretty damn big for a 3-4 outside linebacker, he probably should have been at DE even in a 3-4.

  23. sah0620 says: Nov 23, 2015 1:04 PM

    Guys the Jets could have drafted instead of Coples : Doug Martin, Alshon Jeffery, Russell Wilson, TY Hilton

  24. arcross12042004scorp15 says: Nov 23, 2015 1:05 PM

    Unfortunately for him, he plays a position that doesn’t exist on the Jets. Could be a bargain for a 4-3 team.

  25. Brandon in Northwest Suburbia says: Nov 23, 2015 1:06 PM

    Somebody will try him in a 4-3. He’s a lanky 6-6 and almost 300lbs. In many cases I think the differences between 3-4 and 4-3 are overstated, but he was always an obvious misfit as a rush linebacker.

  26. ladyjet says: Nov 23, 2015 1:07 PM

    Good players make plays. Don’t ever remember Coples making a big play that impacted a game. Making big $, I like bowles sending a message. Have to perform on Sunday.

  27. gojags says: Nov 23, 2015 1:15 PM

    sah0620 says:
    Nov 23, 2015 1:04 PM
    Guys the Jets could have drafted instead of Coples : Doug Martin, Alshon Jeffery, Russell Wilson, TY Hilton

    ———————————————

    And 31 other teams could’ve drafted Tom Brady than so and so in the 5th round.

  28. nflofficeadmin says: Nov 23, 2015 1:26 PM

    Vernon Gholston was not a good 4-3 end either, with the Bears. It’s about comfort (and the psychological) with the difference between hand in the dirt and 2 point stance and the difference can be drastic for some players. Ask your favorite hillbilly, Jared Allen what he thinks.

  29. pftfan says: Nov 23, 2015 1:29 PM

    Another “Rex pick” down the toilet.

    If the Bills are smart, they keep Rex as far away from the war room as possible on Draft Day.

  30. stinkymcmulligan says: Nov 23, 2015 1:37 PM

    Coples, as an NFL player, is an unmitigated disgrace.

  31. stinkymcmulligan says: Nov 23, 2015 1:38 PM

    As a headcoach, Rex Ryan is a disaster AND a disgrace.

  32. noteamforlosangeles says: Nov 23, 2015 1:40 PM

    Saints on line 2

  33. osiris33 says: Nov 23, 2015 1:47 PM

    I remember when the Seahawks got an “F” draft grade for taking Bruce Irvin instead of Coples. Yeah right.

  34. chalkruz1989 says: Nov 23, 2015 1:58 PM

    Can you qualify a player at a bust when a team decides to put him in a position he’s never played before? Quinton Coples is a down end, not a stand-up 3-4 backer.

  35. ohand16 says: Nov 23, 2015 2:02 PM

    Just saw him at the airport in Buffalo.

  36. waldoampere says: Nov 23, 2015 2:13 PM

    If he was any good as a DE, he never would’ve been moved to OLB. He doesn’t have the passion and heart for the game. He is what he is, incredibly mediocre. Nothing more.

  37. kev86 says: Nov 23, 2015 2:17 PM

    Giants play the 4-3 and thin at DE

  38. lionsfan123 says: Nov 23, 2015 2:25 PM

    I can see the Saints or Lions picking him up on the wire today.

  39. kmac6 says: Nov 23, 2015 2:45 PM

    Definitely can see the jags making a claim. They need a pass rush in the worst way and could kick the tires

  40. routerunning says: Nov 23, 2015 2:48 PM

    Wow, 16.5 sacks in 3 years (pretty decent) and he’s released outright in mid-season. There has to be more behind the release.

  41. juicyjwebb says: Nov 23, 2015 2:57 PM

    Is it bad that I kind of hope the Giants pick him up?

    We could use another pass rusher.

  42. thegenghiskahn88 says: Nov 23, 2015 3:28 PM

    Had no business playing LB in the first place. He’s 290lbs! Should be playing either DE or DT. Bad fit.

    Jerry, make the call please. Dallas needs interior linemen.

  43. wallabear says: Nov 23, 2015 3:34 PM

    Sounds like “pre-Draft” measures. Assuming the Jets stay a bit above .500 (currently 5-5) and finish 8-8 or 9-7, Geno is sure to be gone (who is OC Chan Gailey going to choose to stay on? lol)

  44. pftony says: Nov 23, 2015 5:02 PM

    I’m not saying he’s Pro-bowl material but he’s too talented not to get claimed by a team before Buffalo (at 5-4) gets a chance to take him.

  45. raiderapologist says: Nov 23, 2015 6:21 PM

    The Jets picked up his option for 2016. 7.75M guaranteed for injury, and fully guaranteed at the start of the next league year. But his salary for this year is only 1.5M. With Aldon Smith suspended and Oakland going back to more 4-3 looks with Mack back at OLB, he might be worth claiming and using in the DE rotation.

  46. styro1 says: Nov 23, 2015 6:29 PM

    I’m betting Wrecks thought this guy would be a HOF’er.

  47. bakeberryjam says: Nov 24, 2015 2:56 PM

    Hello Miami

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!