Marshawn Lynch trademarks “I’m just here so I won’t get fined”

Super Bowl XLIX Media Day Fueled by Gatorade Getty Images

Not only did Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch not get fined for his Super Bowl Media Day performance, but he may turn it into a lucrative money-making venture.

Lynch famously answered all questions with “I’m just here so I won’t get fined” before last year’s Super Bowl, and now he has been granted a trademark on that phrase. Lynch applied for the trademark in February, shortly after the Super Bowl, and on Tuesday the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office granted the trademark.

Lynch also owns the trademark on “BeastMode” and sells shirts with his trademarked terms on them.

On the field, Lynch hasn’t done much this season, carrying 111 times for 417 yards and three touchdowns. Lynch has missed the last six games, but the Seahawks are hoping to get him back for the playoffs.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
34 Responses to “Marshawn Lynch trademarks “I’m just here so I won’t get fined””
  1. tonebones says: Dec 31, 2015 7:08 AM

That tells me that he feels his career as a football player slipping away.

2. pastabelly says: Dec 31, 2015 7:17 AM

Does anyone really care about this guy anymore? His act may play when he runs for a thousand yards. Now, he’s ancient history.

3. cpozsgai says: Dec 31, 2015 7:34 AM

I’ll give BeastMode a pass, but this is tantamount to trademarking flatulence

4. streetyson says: Dec 31, 2015 7:38 AM

“I just trademarked so you’ll get fined.” (Patent pending).

5. 1historian says: Dec 31, 2015 8:05 AM

Why am I not surprised?

6. flash1287 says: Dec 31, 2015 8:10 AM

What a tool

7. romophobic says: Dec 31, 2015 8:18 AM

His approach to the media is hilarious but the media’s crying about it is even funnier.

8. wayne1693 says: Dec 31, 2015 8:24 AM

He should TM: ‘I got WAY over-paid, then WAY under-performed!’

9. savior72 says: Dec 31, 2015 8:27 AM

Coming soon, trademarked “washed-up”

10. dtroxallday says: Dec 31, 2015 8:36 AM

I believe that. He’s clearly not here to play football anymore. I thought this guy was a “beast” but has turned into a little china doll.

11. leftlaneisforpassingonly says: Dec 31, 2015 8:37 AM

Clearly mocking the NFL with no repercussions what so ever.

12. roseann894 says: Dec 31, 2015 8:41 AM

I’m just here so I won’t get fined.

13. gosfvr says: Dec 31, 2015 8:41 AM

Can’t fault him for maximizing his revenue opportunity.
    If folks have a problem with him – don’t buy his merchandise.

Not a Seahawks fan, I root for the niners but he is the one player on that team (other than Kam) I have most respect for.

14. rutchaser says: Dec 31, 2015 8:45 AM

I never liked his act anyway. Great running back and was fun to watch but that’s about it.

15. lscottman3 says: Dec 31, 2015 8:50 AM

Pete Carroll should trademark the phrase he uttered in the SB after the Interception….

“Oh No!”

it is his trademark

16. xinellum says: Dec 31, 2015 8:54 AM

Marshawn Lynch has run his course and is growing old. He should trademark “Bitch-mode” because he has been that more than “Beastmode” this year. Perhaps I will trademark Bitchmode and make me some money. Unfortunately, I have to refuse to talk to the media to get them chasing me for my tidbits of ignorance. Stupid people chase after stupid people.

17. braddavery says: Dec 31, 2015 8:55 AM

18. xinellum says: Dec 31, 2015 8:55 AM

Bitch-mode (Patent Pending)

19. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Dec 31, 2015 8:56 AM

Stupid publicity stunt.

Trademark law is designed to prevent people from making money off of another’s work without paying them.

It doesn’t prevent, say, another player from saying it in a press conference or on TV. It only prevents them from trying to profit from saying it or printing it.

And how, exactly, would anyone else make money with that phrase? Taken out of context, it’s not even particularly original or funny.

20. ctiggs says: Dec 31, 2015 9:01 AM

I should trademark #nobodyhasitbetter

21. tap79 says: Dec 31, 2015 9:11 AM

As of late it should be… Im just here sitting on the bench to get paid.

His team needs him more now than ever with his cap hit injured or not he should have his sorry behind in the rotation. If he doesn’t help the Hawks get to where they need to be then expect him as a cap casualty for sure.

22. RegisHawk says: Dec 31, 2015 9:11 AM

I should trademark #nobodyhasitbetter

Jack Harbaugh would pop you but good!

23. dexterismyhero says: Dec 31, 2015 9:14 AM

“I’m just here so I won’t get fined for eatin Skittles”

24. charger383 says: Dec 31, 2015 9:18 AM

this trademarking is getting silly

25. ikeclanton says: Dec 31, 2015 9:20 AM

ctiggs has a point–you never know how lucrative it could become.

Pat Riley trademarked “three peat” in the early 90’s after everyone was using it (the Bulls started going back-to-back-to-back) and he gets proceeds no matter where it’s used. He’s made a lot of money off of it.

Lynch knows that his twilight is here and is preparing.

26. joetoronto says: Dec 31, 2015 9:50 AM

Loser alert. This guy will be broke within 3 years after retiring.

27. btownsports says: Dec 31, 2015 9:56 AM

Maybe he should concentrate more on football and less on copy rights to stupid quotes

28. seattlesue427 says: Dec 31, 2015 10:00 AM

If he didn’t trademark it, people would call him stupid. He does the smart thing and turns it for a profit and people call him greedy or washed up. What is it with you people? He could literally walk on water and you’d find a way to criticize him! Ridiculous really.

29. greggfletch1 says: Dec 31, 2015 10:34 AM

I see we have a 3 year fan above me. He has a job, he gets paid for that job, part of his job is talking to the media. If he cant do his job he should be fired and not allowed to play until he conforms to the rules. IF any of us regular folks refused to do part of our jobs we would be fired immediatly. Spoiled little bitcH, is what he is. Just like AP, when they dont have a Offensive line they suck.

30. RegisHawk says: Dec 31, 2015 2:30 PM

Last troll must be a Saints fan…they’re still bitter over Beast Quake.

31. chawk12thman says: Dec 31, 2015 2:37 PM

It is true that Lynch is getting very near to the end of his RB Career in the NFL. It is also true that he has found a way to make money from his reluctance to play friendly with the media as expected by most star NFL players…..What is most importantly true is that he is very much needed in order for the Seahawks to make a run in the upcoming playoffs and that if they were to find a way back to the SB…….heck, this trademark will be worth a great deal……

Seems like a good business move/deal to me. One that if the NFL owners had done, no one would have argued it was self-serving, but logically the right step to take.

32. bleedingfacemask says: Dec 31, 2015 2:54 PM

lukedunphysscienceproject says:
    Dec 31, 2015 8:56 AM

Stupid publicity stunt.

And how, exactly, would anyone else make money with that phrase?
    Exactly? The most visible has been t-shirts, but the rest of us have also seen hats and other merchandise…meaning someone other than Lynch was making money off of that phrase.

33. whereyaat says: Dec 31, 2015 3:46 PM

God told him to trademark that.

– Russell Wilson

34. seattlesue427 says: Jan 1, 2016 10:14 AM

greggfletch1 says:
    Dec 31, 2015 10:34 AM

“I see we have a 3 year fan above me.”

You see how you are? The first words out of your mouth were critical. I’ve actually been following football since 1969, SB III, Joe Namath and the Jets, AFL vs NFL before the leagues merged. In other words…football before the whole league was centered around pleasing the media. I don’t care who does/doesn’t talk to the media. And I admire those players who think ahead to the days when they’re no longer able to play. Go Beast!