More surgery coming for Pierre-Paul in offseason

during their game at MetLife Stadium on December 20, 2015 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Getty Images

Surgery will again be part of Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul’s offseason in 2016, but the difference this time is that it will be scheduled rather than the emergency work Pierre-Paul needed done after his July 4 fireworks accident.

Pierre-Paul said Wednesday that he’ll have surgery in hopes of improving his ability to grip with his right hand. If that can happen, Pierre-Paul hopes to play with a glove rather than the oversized club he’s worn since returning at midseason. The club has kept Pierre-Paul from making plays and he says he’ll be “perfectly fine” as a player once he stops using it.

Surgery isn’t the only offseason issue on Pierre-Paul’s plate. He’s set to do the free agency dance again this year and said he’d like to remain with the Giants.

“They gave me a second chance,” Pierre-Paul said, via ESPN.com. “They didn’t have to. I appreciate that, but they also know what type of player they’re getting. I’m just a different type of player. I don’t think a lot of guys could have done what I did, come back from what I came back from and played the way I’ve played.”

Pierre-Paul has one sack since returning, but the Giants pass rush has looked better overall with Pierre-Paul garnering attention from blockers that has opened up avenues for others. Robert Ayers, the team’s leading sacker, is also going to be a free agent, so the Giants will have plenty of work to do to shore up an ailing defense whether Pierre-Paul is back next year.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
24 Responses to “More surgery coming for Pierre-Paul in offseason”
  1. theflorioawakens says: Dec 31, 2015 7:22 AM

Manning to coach the colts?

2. jonathankrobinson424 says: Dec 31, 2015 7:46 AM

…..I’ve watched him in few games from his return and it is impressive how he’s playing. He’s been a very disruptive force on the D line…still has great speed and gets that gigantic club up in the air, batting down passes. I’m rooting for him to have a full recovery and watching him make all pro again. BTW….we ALL make one or two or MANY stupid decisions in life…its how we respond that counts. He didnt physically hurt anyone except himself, so thats why he’s still OK in my book.

3. mykelane says: Dec 31, 2015 8:10 AM

hopefully it’ll look better than Chubbs Peterson’s hand…

4. bondlake says: Dec 31, 2015 8:16 AM

There are mistakes you never stop paying for . . .

5. 700levelvet says: Dec 31, 2015 8:18 AM

“I just loves me some me”..

6. getyourownname says: Dec 31, 2015 9:05 AM

7. helicopterpilot13 says: Dec 31, 2015 9:34 AM

I’d cut him so fast it would make his head spin. And I think if the Giants get a new head coach, that’s exactly what will occur.
    No one can play with one hand and it’s ridiculous to think otherwise.

8. bleedeaglegreen says: Dec 31, 2015 9:39 AM

“So he’s giving himself extra credit for partially coming back from a pointless self-inflicted injury that needlessly diminished his skill level and value to the team?”

It’s the American way!!

9. delgriffth says: Dec 31, 2015 10:40 AM

I’ve seen the hand. No amount of surgery will ever make that thing look like a hand.

10. buccaboo says: Dec 31, 2015 10:47 AM

That club gets bigger and longer every week

11. nightryder10 says: Dec 31, 2015 10:54 AM

Gotta hand it to him…

12. kd75 says: Dec 31, 2015 11:00 AM

Sadly, behind Wilkerson (who isn’t going anywhere) JPP is probably the top FA DE on the market.

13. newjerseygiants says: Dec 31, 2015 11:07 AM

Idiot Move #1: Holding explosives in you hand and lighting them.

Idiot Move #2: Not flying up to New York where the real surgeons are to repair your mess.

14. lscottman3 says: Dec 31, 2015 11:27 AM

i wonder how he will celebrate the new year tonight.

boom

15. 8oneanddones says: Dec 31, 2015 11:33 AM

The Cowboys or Redskins will overpay him in a few months.

16. immafubared says: Dec 31, 2015 12:12 PM

Pretty much worthless piece of do do if you asked me. They should have had a contract stipulation, you do something to yourself that prevents you from playing at the highest level, all bets are off on your contract we owe you nada.

I know the union lawyers would not allow anything like this but these are the fights owners need to fight. Otherwise your screwed. Yes teams have insurance against this but those insurance contracts aren’t cheap when they include paying for moronic feats.

17. outlander2014 says: Dec 31, 2015 12:30 PM

He play since he has been back is still limited. He cannot wrap people up for a tackle. If he cannot do this in the future, then why keep him. I would let him go in free agency if I were the Giants. He is not worth the money any longer.

18. 6jaws9 says: Dec 31, 2015 12:36 PM

I can’t quite put a Finger on why he didn’t sign his franchise tag offer, but I have to Hand it to him for trying to comeback.

19. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 31, 2015 12:43 PM

kd75 says:
    Dec 31, 2015 11:00 AM
    ———–

You seem so sure that Mo won’t change locker rooms at GIANTS STADIUM.

20. mmack66 says: Dec 31, 2015 12:53 PM

Don’t you have to have fingers to be able to grip?

21. douchebigelow says: Dec 31, 2015 1:18 PM

Good job JPP…high 2.5!!!

22. eslaught says: Dec 31, 2015 1:32 PM

lscottman3 says:
    Dec 31, 2015 11:27 AM

i wonder how he will celebrate the new year tonight.

boom
    ———————————————————-
    sick burn

23. harrisonhits2 says: Dec 31, 2015 1:33 PM

The Giants never should have taken this turd back.

24. 6thsense10 says: Dec 31, 2015 1:35 PM

immafubared says:
    Dec 31, 2015 12:12 PM

__________ _____
    Um….what you’re proposing is already in standard NFL contracts. In fact the JPP wasn’t even under contract when his accident occurred so the Giants could have pulled their Franchise tag offer off the table and walked away from JPP if they wanted to. It helps to somewhat be familiar with the subject you’re commenting on before commenting.