Dont’a Hightower, Chandler Jones will sit out regular season finale

DENVER, CO - NOVEMBER 29: Defensive end Chandler Jones #95 of the New England Patriots celebrates after intercepting the ball against the New England Patriots in the second quarter at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on November 29, 2015 in Denver, Colorado. (Photo by Justin Edmonds/Getty Images) Getty Images

Wide receiver Julian Edelman didn’t make the trip to Miami with the Patriots and he won’t be the only player sitting out the final game of the regular season.

Linebacker Dont’a Hightower and defensive end Chandler Jones will be on the sideline as well as the Patriots will rest them in hopes of getting them back at closer to 100 percent for the playoffs. Hightower has been bothered by a knee injury for several weeks while Jones injured his toe at practice this week.

The Patriots will open their playoff run at home in the Divisional Round, but they won’t know if they are the No. 1 or No. 2 seed until this weekend’s results are in.

Left tackle Sebastian Vollmer was expected to miss Sunday’s game with the ankle injury he suffered against the Jets last weekend and he was officially ruled out Friday. Linebacker Jonathan Freeny and cornerback Justin Coleman round out the list of players who definitely won’t play.

Assuming no roster moves are made with any of those players, the Patriots will need to list one other player as inactive on Sunday. If they want to rest another starter, that player could come from the group of nine players given questionable tags. That group includes wide receiver Danny Amendola, safety Devin McCourty and defensive end Rob Ninkovich.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Dont’a Hightower, Chandler Jones will sit out regular season finale”
  1. quizlingclinic says: Jan 1, 2016 4:58 PM

Pats playing the jv squad again. Good move. This team is awesome if 100 percent. A road afccg is not a big deal.

2. chesswhileyouplaycheckers says: Jan 1, 2016 5:00 PM

Pats are so banged up they should sit as many as possible. Wouldn’t mind seeing plenty of Jimmy G in this one

3. superpatsfan4 says: Jan 1, 2016 5:02 PM

1) priority….come out healthy!
    2) Win the game.

Healthy Pats team can win anywhere.

4. thecape15 says: Jan 1, 2016 5:03 PM

I really wanted the first seed but I understand what he is doing.

It would be great to pull off a win anyway.

5. solo681 says: Jan 1, 2016 5:16 PM

A team that wants to win the SB must be healthy and able to win on the road.

Patriots should be playing everyone from the practice squad in this game.

6. lgw91s says: Jan 1, 2016 5:21 PM

Agree completely. Need the horses down the stretch. Don’t even want to see Brady, truthfully. Bring up the practice squad, give them some reps.

7. 6ball says: Jan 1, 2016 5:26 PM

Sheard starts for Jones. Mayo starts for Hightower. Both are veteran professionals, so I would not expect a big drop-off in play.

Luckily for the Patriots, the weather forecast is favorable : 77° with a chance of light rain

8. davedsone says: Jan 1, 2016 5:26 PM

I am guessing Amendola with be active, McCourty will sit.

9. rutledge3197 says: Jan 1, 2016 5:33 PM

Rest your players cuz you have ONLY one more game left after this Sunday ……

10. pastabelly says: Jan 1, 2016 5:38 PM

I think the Pats should want to win this game pretty badly. There would be guarantees going to Denver in a road AFCCG.

11. nflexecutivesconstantlylie says: Jan 1, 2016 5:57 PM

Make no mistake. This is an important game for NE. It’s a shame they have to compromise the squad in Miami. I hope it strengthens them for the divisional weekend and beyond.

Go Pats !

12. revren10 says: Jan 1, 2016 5:57 PM

waiting on the dolphins fans to tell us how awesome Tannehill will be.

13. fanofpft says: Jan 1, 2016 5:57 PM

Just want to see the rooks rush on brady.

14. henry53 says: Jan 1, 2016 6:07 PM

What about Patrick Chung? Is he healthy or still questionable/doubtful?

15. thejetssuck2001 says: Jan 1, 2016 6:13 PM

best news ive heard all day!! sit whoevers nicked or let them be limited. im not scared of going to denver at all. we shoulda stomped them last time but we fumbled that away. that wont happen again i can promise u that. afccg w belichick vs. kubiak. i like our chances.

16. jvw1982 says: Jan 1, 2016 6:14 PM

Don’t look now but the Pats have lost 3 of the last 5 games, looks like they are limping into the playoffs, not like last yr when the key players were all healthy….

17. macker1283 says: Jan 1, 2016 6:17 PM

Look for Chandler Jones to symbolically “sit out” the playoffs like he does every season. Seriously look at his stats for the first four years of his career. Sept and Oct -25 sacks. November and December – 10 sacks. Playoffs…1 sack in 7 games.

18. breadmeatcheese says: Jan 1, 2016 6:43 PM

jamie collins afcc mvp

19. the8man says: Jan 1, 2016 7:13 PM

In Belichick we trust.

20. hahaicansezbelicheat says: Jan 1, 2016 7:15 PM

Nink is out too lol. We may see Pierre Woods and Eric Alexander out there this week.

21. kap1123 says: Jan 1, 2016 7:16 PM

I suspect there will be a lot of Pats fans in Miami. The phins are so bad their fans aren’t even gonna want to show up. With all of the NE snow birds in Florida I bet there’s more pats fans than dolphins fans.

22. GO FOR TWO SPORTS says: Jan 1, 2016 7:32 PM

How “unhealthy” were Pats when they just lost to jets? Edleman is NOT coming back in the playoffs and I hate to break it to Pats fans but this guy not much a threat. He is in a system that makes him look good..
    Perfect example Wes Welker, Danny Woodhead ECT ECT!

23. GO FOR TWO SPORTS says: Jan 1, 2016 7:35 PM

kap1123 says:
    Jan 1, 2016 7:16 PM

————————————————————
    The real MYSTERY is where were all these “PATS FANS” BEFORE BRADY WON A SUPERBOWL!! I live 10 min away from Gillette and I never seen anyone wear a Zolak Jersey.. Even with Bledsoe nobody cared until that 1 year when he brought them to superbowl, that year was when you starting to see “Don from the bar the Cowboys fan” all of a sudden saying I’m a DIE HARD PATS FAN

24. TheWizard says: Jan 1, 2016 7:41 PM

Getting tougher to win this game. If McCourty is out again too, the defense is going to be thin.

I did notice on one drive last week when Brady pushed the ball downfield to Lafell and Martin, it worked. Then they went back to throwing completions at the line of scrimmage for 2 yard gains. Didn’t understand that. And it was the first read too, not checkdowns.

25. gimmeabruschi says: Jan 1, 2016 7:43 PM

The #1 seed is a big deal. A real big deal. Sitting any starters but those who have to sit is very very unwise.

26. TheWizard says: Jan 1, 2016 7:44 PM

I was watching Steve Grogan battle Bert Jones in ’77.

That’s where I was.

27. macker1283 says: Jan 1, 2016 7:56 PM

———

Pre-1993 the Pats were irrelevant in New England. No doubt about that. But the franchise was a joke before that and there was no commitment to even attempt to win by ownership. They were trying to move them to St Louis. But your exaggerating saying they didnt care during Bledsoe years when they sold out every game.

28. stevegrogannakedbootleg says: Jan 1, 2016 8:08 PM

Why is it bad that people become fans when a team wins ?

29. tedy54 says: Jan 1, 2016 8:08 PM

Hey GO FOR TWO SPORTS, I’ve never seen you here before. I’ve been a Pats fan since ’93, because I liked Drew Bledsoe As far as I can recall, he went to the SB in his 4th year. His first 3 weren’t all that special, so why would anyone care until the SB year, especially since the team had sucked for awhile, which allowed them to draft him first overall? Brady has been starting for over 14 years now, having a lot of success, and most people probably can’t remember when Pete Carroll was coach, let alone when Drew was starting. Of course more people follow the team now!

Also, why would anyone own a Scott Zolak jersey? Do you?

30. rutledge3197 says: Jan 1, 2016 8:33 PM

The thing is all you so called die hard Pats fans will disappear back to pre-1993 as soon as Tammy girl is gone and then you’ll go on and on about the past …. Then everyone will tell you how nobody cares about OLD team cuz no one wants to hear about the past …. Worst fans ever

31. patriotsticketssince1978 says: Jan 1, 2016 8:34 PM

Cities that have a rich sports history tend to get more fans that just root for the laundry. I’ve been a Patriots fan since becoming aware of professional football as a young kid. As a kid I would never root for any teams but Boston teams. Heck, I rooted for the New England Whalers in the old WHL but once they became Hartford’s team I stopped. Are there bandwagon fans around the country and the Globe for the Pats? sure. Most of the fans from the area have been with them exclusively however.

32. stevegrogannakedbootleg says: Jan 1, 2016 8:43 PM

The thing is all you so called die hard Pats fans will disappear back to pre-1993 **********

******************************

Maybe so but the Jets will still suck

33. patsbrat says: Jan 1, 2016 8:43 PM

GO FOR TWO SPORTS says:
    Jan 1, 2016 7:35 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    50 year Pats fan right here. I remember the days when the Pats didn’t have a stadium to play in – they played in BU’s Nickerson Field or Fenway. The last 15 years have made the previous 35 years well worth it.

I also remember the days before Zolak, before the internet, and before anonymous commenters could spew their hate in public view.

34. patsbrat says: Jan 1, 2016 8:47 PM

rutledge3197 says:
    Jan 1, 2016 8:33 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    …and then who will you hate? So sad for you.

35. patriotsticketssince1978 says: Jan 1, 2016 8:58 PM

The thing is that most people don’t know or remember the history of the Patriots. The thing about the Patriots is that when they were bad they were very bad-worst team in the league bad. But those periods of badness were well contained. The Pats were horrible when they were in ownership flux from 1989-93, and they were horrible from 1967-75. For the rest of their history they have been very competitive. Many don’t realize they have only had 8 losing seasons in the last 40 years and fewer know that no team has more winning seasons than the Patriots since they were established in 1960. They played in the AFL Championship and have appeared in 8 SB’s. reaching the biggest game of the year 9 times in 56 seasons is actually pretty good. Obviously this is the internet and there are many people with lots of time on their hands. The Patriots are the type of team that can drive those types of people over the edge. It seems their only enjoyment in life is to say something silly about the best team in the land. Go luck with all of that is all I can say.

36. kissbillsrings says: Jan 1, 2016 9:03 PM

I don’t understand why anyone thinks Pats fans will disappear anytime soon…. They have a great nucleus, awesome Owner, the best coach in NFL history & the best QB to ever play the game…. Been hearing how the franchise wil fade away for over 8 years & they are the current super bowl champions & already have a first round bye….
    These delusional fans from other teams that keep spewing the same thing year in & year out HOPING it will somehow be true have to live with being wrong again & again… They are miserable & they THINK that by trying to belittle the fan base of Patriot nation somehow bothers us….I LOVE it…I soak it up like a sponge….it just fuels my love for the TEAM…. Bitter tears taste so sweet!!!
    You guys keep up the hate & we’ll just keep enjoying the Lombardi’s….
    Hopefully a fifth one to boot!!!
    Go Pats!!!

37. rutledge3197 says: Jan 1, 2016 9:11 PM

You are logged in as patsbrat which speaks volumes for your arrogant team and most of the fan base … The most disrespectful group of fans I have ever come across… Never with anything good to say about any other played and or team … You people why others HATE you & your team ??…look in the mirror or look at the company you keep

38. thescooterscore says: Jan 1, 2016 9:17 PM

———

nearly two decades have passed since then — you lose the right to play this card. the other 31 teams have forums where it would be more relevant at this point.

39. rutledge3197 says: Jan 1, 2016 9:23 PM

You guys log in as patsbrat or dynasty or something of that ilk and then wonder why people hate the Patriots and their fans?…It’s a joke .. You clowns are arrogant & classless . You’ve come out of the closet to brag and boast.. It’s great when a team has success but most fans are nowhere as pathetic as most Pats fans… You disrespect all other players , team , fans and their history the most classless of moves . You really wonder why people HATE you ?? Look in the mirror or next you at a game. Your franchise will return to the basement and your fan base back to Fenway or the closet ….

40. thechickenexpress says: Jan 1, 2016 9:45 PM

pastabelly says:
    Jan 1, 2016 5:38 PM

I get where you’re coming from, pastabelly. Denver’s always been a tough place for the Pats to win. But if this team is healthy, the team that went into Denver banged up, got more banged up (i.e., lost Hightower), and still had a two-touchdown lead fairly late in the game, then you’ll seen an offense that can hold onto the ball and finish drives, a defense that can control Denver’s running game, and special teams that probably won’t turn the ball over in key situations. With Gronk, Edelman, Amendola and White on the field, Brady won’t be holding onto the ball more than 2.5 seconds on any given play. That alone will neutralize Denver’s outstanding pass rush.

What I mean is: Don’t worry too much about Denver. If the Pats get reasonably healthy and stay that way, the only team that has a legit shot at preventing Brady from getting one for the thumb is Arizona.

41. patsfanforlife says: Jan 1, 2016 10:23 PM

My first year as a Pats fan was 1971 – they drafted Jim Plunkett from Stanford with the #1 overall pick that year. I’ve been a fan thru the 1-15 season, thru the two 2-14 seasons. I’ll still be a fan when Brady and Belichick are long gone. But the success of the past 15 years has been sweet.

42. zuzus petals says: Jan 1, 2016 11:02 PM

I watched in 85… but i’ve been a fan since the big build up to the Bledsoe draft when the mystery was who would they take: Bledsoe or Rick Mirer. I stuck around thru his growing years because they were a blast– if you liked passing, Drew was fun to watch. I remember his first shoot out with Marino. I remember the come back against the Vikings. What I’m not sure is what that has to do with who’s sitting out this week?

43. 8oneanddones says: Jan 1, 2016 11:09 PM

I remember in ’98 when Scott Zolak played for an injured Drew Bledsoe and beat the still mighty 49ers in December to secure a playoff spot. He threw a sweet bomb for a touchdown that day.

P.S. Man, I miss Gil Santos on the radio. He is the greatest football announcer of all time.

44. 34defense2014 says: Jan 1, 2016 11:47 PM

Pat’s were horrible before Parcells! My opinion, if you were a Pat’s fan, during the Pat’s “Dead Beat” era? You’re a effin moron😉 But, just goes to show that even the so called “great” Parcells couldn’t win with a Team FULL of talent! That Team easily had the Top 5 QB in the NFL with Drew and the best RB with Curtis! Best Corners and D line and LBrs AND STILL COULDN’T WIN “LEGIT!” Until BB stuck it to an ( 85 old, just passed away MAN) Leon Hess ( What a class act that BB is!) wrote on a napkin ( once again showing his class!)I guess he didn’t have the “deflated balls” to tell/speak to the Hess family like a Gentleman to thank them for employing him! As well as offering him an opportunity to be the HC! ( especially after they just lost their Father & Grandfather) BOY WHAT A CLASS ACT THAT BILL BELICHICK IS! ( Keep Him )
    he Bogarted the Hess Family & the Jets and started His cheating ways to win! No wonder why Parcells doesn’t want to have anything to do with him! I’d rather have ZERO Championships then 4 Tainted! “Tuck Championship” Video Taping The “Rams SB practices” and on and on and on! You can KEEP All 4 OF THEM- Cheaters/Losers! Bet ya Tom Brady Doesn’t make into
    PFHOF until he’s dead? Then maybe? Not even then? Why? His cheatin ways! The Pete Rose of the NFL! Ps lol lol Zolak a Patty SHILL! Oh and Tedy 50 something? And Pat ticket whatever? Know you own Teams History before you make untrue Post! My Dopey Ex-Wife has/ had a Zolak jersey! I’m glad the lost their 1st round Draft pick
    This year! They actually deserve a lot worse! Pss. Been Losing games lately? Why’s that Patty fans? Maybe it’s because of the regulated PSI’s in the footballs? I wonder why that is?? Could it be that in the Colder weather, It Is making it harder for Shady to grip his BALLS? You know with his rather smallish
    Hands and all?? Hmmmmmm? lol lol lol lol

45. 34defense2014 says: Jan 1, 2016 11:51 PM

Ahhhh it’s a great start the New Year! Bruins lose in the Winter Classic 😂😂 Now if the Patty’s lose on Sunday? The New Year, couldn’t start out better!!!!!

46. patsfiend says: Jan 2, 2016 1:13 AM

Squish the Fish in ’86 is what get me hooked. That was a fun team right there.

47. ejvyas says: Jan 2, 2016 1:36 AM

You cant promote practice squad players without waiving the roster players (which will be easily picked up by other teams) So you wont see practice squad players on the field unless there are season ending/less depth at a position

48. tigerlilac says: Jan 2, 2016 2:10 AM

At least the haters have given up the “Patriots winning is over” mantra for the “Patriots fans will jump off the bandwagon when they start losing” mantra. That’s as pathetic a troll as I have ever read. It is an admission that the Patriots may never stop winning in their lifetime; as submissive as it gets for an opposing fan.

49. worldizending says: Jan 2, 2016 6:05 AM

jvw1982 says:
    Jan 1, 2016 6:14 PM

yes indeed. 17 guys on IR…and at least five other starters (hurt) who are sitting out. The good news is that some of these guys could play if it was “Do or die” and they will have two more weeks to heal before hosting a division game.

50. flash1287 says: Jan 2, 2016 6:55 AM

rutledge3197 says:
    Jan 1, 2016 5:33 PM
    Rest your players cuz you have ONLY one more game left after this Sunday ……

Says EVERY crybaby/hater EVERY season
    And as usual they are wrong.

And if you live “10 minutes” away what team do you root for?

Why is it they people troll Patriots articles with LAME comments but they will NEVER tell you what team they root for.

It’s always funny when someone says it’s the “system” that makes him “good”

Woodheads stats rushing and receiving are actually better with the Chargers than NE, but it’s the “system”.
    Welkers first year in Denver was no different than any season in NE , but it’s the “system” (then the injuries happened)

Nothing worse than a troll who doesn’t have a clue.

51. flash1287 says: Jan 2, 2016 7:05 AM

GO FOR TWO SPORTS says:
    Jan 1, 2016 7:32 PM
    Perfect example Wes Welker, Danny Woodhead ECT ECT!

Perfect example of another crybaby that doesn’t have a clue.

52. flash1287 says: Jan 2, 2016 7:07 AM

——————

But yet they sold out every game since 1993, 3 years before they went to that SB. But you live 10 minutes away. I guess you missed that.

53. joker65 says: Jan 2, 2016 7:17 AM

Scott Zolak was a career backup, started 7 games in 8 years. WHY would anyone have his jersey? Did they even sell his jersey.

Strange comment.

54. joker65 says: Jan 2, 2016 7:18 AM

stevegrogannakedbootleg says:
    Jan 1, 2016 8:08 PM
    Why is it bad that people become fans when a team wins ?
    ___

See, that mostly comes from Bills fans, who never win. They take pride in going to games and supporting a team that never wins. Then they can say they are the best fans ever, because they support a loser year after year after year after year.

55. quizlingclinic says: Jan 2, 2016 7:34 AM

I had a sam bam Cunningham poster on my wall as a kid. Right next to my Freddy lynn poster. You do know that zolak was never the starter, right?

56. marcuswelby1 says: Jan 2, 2016 8:32 AM

patriotsticketssince1978 says:
    Jan 1, 2016 8:58 PM

——————————-

As a long time Patriots fan who saw them play at Nickerson Field, Fenway Park, and Harvard Stadium, it was a pleasure to read your reply.

57. johnniemayes says: Jan 2, 2016 8:34 AM

The Phins will roll them over like they have the last two seasons at home! Go Phins!

58. chesswhileyouplaycheckers says: Jan 2, 2016 9:07 AM

GO FOR TWO SPORTS says:
    Jan 1, 2016 7:35 PM
    ___________________

Pats fan going back to seeing them play in Fenway as a kid and season ticket holder since ’82. We had more than our fair share of lean years and some when we were downright laughingstocks. When Kiam owned the team about the only time even I wore Pats gear was at a game otherwise the ridicule was over the top, he was reviled that much. Gofor2 has posted the Zolak jersey comment before. It is a preposterous statement, the equivalent of Chargers fans walking around in Whitehurst jerseys. Zo was a career back up with 7 total starts in 7 years.

Since Kraft bought the team in ’94 (7 years before that first SB) the games have sold out. Sure the Pats have a lot of bandwagon fans, winning does that but 15 years of contending has spawned a generation of Pats fans that have never known what it’s like to be a fan of a cellar dweller. Don’t be so quick to think they will all jump ship when the day comes that things go south though. Red Sox Nation buried generations during the 86 year ‘curse’ and the Bruins went 39 years between Cups but there were still legions of fans walking around in Sox and B’s gear.

59. thejetssuck2001 says: Jan 2, 2016 9:29 AM

GO FOR TWO SPORTS says:
    Jan 1, 2016 7:35 PM
    kap1123 says:
    Jan 1, 2016 7:16 PM

————————————————————

=======================================

thats simply because new england fans realized that if they stopped going to games the team would be sold to an owner that cared. we didnt waste money on inferior product like most moronic fans do. then look what happened. we forced change, and wow, kraft has proven to be a godsend to new england patriot football. maybe if browns fans stopped going to games their team would hire a real coach and gm.

60. thejetssuck2001 says: Jan 2, 2016 9:36 AM

johnniemayes says:
    Jan 2, 2016 8:34 AM

====================

and then next season youll be claiming that victory is the reason the phins are fixed and gonna win the division just before your next 6-10 year. enjoy being a dolphins fan. must be rewarding.

61. thejetssuck2001 says: Jan 2, 2016 10:00 AM

patriotsticketssince1978 says:
    Jan 1, 2016 8:58 PM

===============================

preach it brother. also, any raiders fans crying about the tuck rule dont realize its just a make good for the non call on sugar bear hamilton in 76 afc championship game. we should have appeared in 9 super bowls.

62. jackodn says: Jan 2, 2016 10:09 AM

If you really do live 10 minutes away from the stadium, then you would know that traffic in and out of Pats games has been legendary for decades. In the 70s my Dad and I would be stuck for an hour trying to get out of the parking lot and down Route 1.

FYI, that was 40 years ago. Seems like they’ve been pulling fans for quite a while to me.

63. zigthepatsfan says: Jan 2, 2016 10:35 AM

joker65 says:
    Jan 2, 2016 7:17 AM

Strange comment.

2nd time that I’ve seen him make this same post except last time he said he used to live here now he says he still does.

64. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 2, 2016 11:02 AM

“GO FOR TWO SPORTS says:
    Jan 1, 2016 7:35 PM
    The real MYSTERY is where were all these “PATS FANS” BEFORE BRADY WON A SUPERBOWL!!”

Old Sullivan Stadium used to sell out all the time. That goes back to what, the early 80s I think.

My first dated piece of Pats merch is 1994 I think, but I have other stuff non-dated back to the early 80s and I was a Pats fan from the early 70s

Keep up the whining and lies though. It only makes the people pronouncing such things look pretty silly.

65. zigthepatsfan says: Jan 2, 2016 11:05 AM

jvw1982 says:
    Jan 1, 2016 6:14 PM

Dont look now but the Broncos arent exactly finishing strong either. Needed OT to beat the Bengals with McCarron, dropped 2 straight before that…needed OT and help from the refs to beat a depleted Pats team…

66. ikeclanton says: Jan 2, 2016 12:02 PM

GO FOR TWO SPORTS says:
    Jan 1, 2016 7:32 PM
    Perfect example Wes Welker, Danny Woodhead ECT ECT!

——————

What I remember is that Welker caught 67 balls on a 6-10 Dolphin team (Joey Harrington at QB) and the Pats noticed he was good and may fit some of the style that they play. The league knew he was good at that point as it was a breakout year for him. Woodhead was one of the players Rex Ryan hated to cut in camp because they had Tomlinson and Shon Greene–just too much talent at the running back position to justify keeping him because he was more unknown. The Jets were a very good team that year, especially on the ground.

These are high quality players with or without the Patriots, albeit “misfits” to some shorter-sighted (pun intended) teams. The Pats brought them in, and made them better as they do with a lot of guys. Coaching and having Brady playing with you will do that.

Calling it a “system” always makes me laugh. Everyone would copy the “system” if they could. If there is any truth to that notion at all it may be that there’s an expectation and day-to-day desire to win that’s different that most organizations. That, and having Brady can be and usually is the small advantage you need to win most of the time.