Seahawks end Cardinals winning streak in 36-6 rout

Getty Images

The Cardinals came into Sunday’s game with the Seahawks on a nine-game winning streak that saw them post blowout wins in each of the last two weeks.

They got a taste of how the other half lives in Week 17, however. The Seahawks scored on their first possession of the game, put up points on their next four drives and cruised to a 36-6 victory that bumps them to a 10-6 record for the season.

Russell Wilson continued his spectacular second half of the season by completing 19-of-28 passes for 197 yards and three touchdowns. Wilson, who didn’t play in the fourth quarter, ends the regular season with 24 touchdowns and one interception in his last seven games, six of which were Seattle wins that turned the year around after a shaky start to the season. Wilson also ends the season with Seahawks records for the most passing yards and touchdowns in a single season and he became the first player in league history with 4,000 passing yards, 30 passing touchdowns and 500 rushing yards in one season.

The defense also will take a bow after Sunday’s win, which assured the Seahawks will finish as the league’s top scoring defense for the fourth straight season.

Seattle will wait for the result of Sunday night’s game between the Packers and Vikings to find out where they will play in the Wild Card round of the playoffs. If Green Bay wins, they’ll head to Washington and they’ll be in Minnesota should things go the other way at Lambeau. Wherever they go, their finishing kick to the season has them heading into the playoffs with a head of steam that should make them an unwelcome opponent.

Carson Palmer was pulled at halftime for the Cardinals, who will get a bye as the No. 2 seed in the NFC. It was a disappointing performance for the Cardinals, which coach Bruce Arians can only hope erases any complacency that might have seeped into the locker room while Arizona was rolling toward the finish line.

67 responses to “Seahawks end Cardinals winning streak in 36-6 rout

1. Wooo hoo seahawks are once again league leaders in total defense!! First NFL team to ever lead the league in defensive scoring 4 straight seasons. For all that crap we heard about them not being good the stats prove otherwise!!

Let’s get this ring bring back beast and go on a terror. Go hawks!!

2. Cards fan here. All-around putrid, disgraceful effort today. The only positive is that they did every stupid, lousy thing possible today so hopefully it’s out of their system. And they stayed healthy. Kudos to the Hawks for delivering a message.

3. That is crazy number one scoring defense again. Legion of Boom has will stand beside the Steel Curtain, Purple People eaters and have far more longevity than 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs.

Feels good as a Hawk fan going into the last 4 playoffs. The last 2 made it to the Super Bowl, excited to see what this team can do in the dance with a dynamic offense.

4. Wilson became the first player in league history with 4,000 passing yards, 30 passing touchdowns and 500 rushing yards in one season. impossible says every packer fan everywhere..meanwhile, wilson gives up his first class airline seat to an army vet and rodgers whines about phantom calls.

5. The NFC championship runs thru Carolina and we already whipped those chickens in their home….you do not want to come here baby! KEEP POUNDING!

6. The Seahawks are very lucky to be where they are this year. Enjoy it while you can, because I expect them to lose next week.

7. So sick of hearing what a class act Wilson is. I punked that guy when he was in college at Wisconsin. In the 2011 season, my buddies and I went to Madison, WI to watch our South Dakota Coyotes play his Badgers. After the game, we were at a bar when this clown showed up, started acting like he owned the place, came over to our table, and said he was going to “whoop on everyone” for not giving him respect. Him being 5’11” 200 lbs. and me 6’6″ 250 lbs. I confronted him and changed his attitude very quickly. I’m just glad the guy who took a video deleted it before putting it out in cyberspace.

8. With all the good things people are saying about the Seahawks, I still know they won’t get to Super Bowl again. Something will go wrong with them in the playoff.

9. Bevell really pissed me off to start the year but he deserves a bit of credit. This used to be a pound the rock kill the clock type of team but now Wilson looks dangerous in the pocket. Complete 180.

10. Perfect. Green Bay either gets Minnesota or Washington. Minnesota either gets Green Bay or Seattle. Probably doesn’t matter anyways, I don’t think any team is safe in the NFC after watching this season progress. Anyone can win on any given week, and it can get ugly rather quickly.

11. Seattle beat up on some God awful teams the past few weeks. And today exposed an Arizona team that needed the refs help to beat the vikes and the niners. NO ONE is scared of these teams, playoffs or not.

12. kitmandew- good try but you fail on a seahawks thread. Your team came back from a double digit 4th qtr lead. To take the lead the hawks got the wrong signal and didn’t cover your best offensive player he subsequently scored the go ahead td with like 30 seconds left in the game. Never lead before that either.

No normal non moronic sane fan would say you whipped anyone when you lead for only 30. The league mvp had 50 yards passing and 1-2 picks until the 4th qtr. In no way did Carolina whip Seattle you coming on here only shows your fear. Seattle has beaten the Panthers 4-5 of their last meetings and everytime they play in Carolina Seattle wins. If I were a Panthers fan I’d want nothing to do with the hawks they’re absolutely the worst match-up for the Panthers of any NFC or AFC team.

13. Vikings win, they host seattle next weekend. Vikings lose, and it’s back to GB in a week.

14. Great Caesar’s Ghost says:
    Jan 3, 2016 7:52 PM

Wait so AZ is not Super Bowl champion yet?
    ======

No that would be Carolina.

LOL

#1 QB, #1 defense, Beast back fresh.

Meanwhile Panthers and Packers had to come back late to squeak by our bad version.

15. I say we lose to GB tonight so we can play them again next week. GB is the weakest team in the playoffs this year in the NFC.

Be strategic, lose on purpose tonight, then hopefully Washington can knock off Seattle next week. We can hang with both Carolina and Arizona, and beat Washington.

16. usdcoyotesfan says:
    Jan 3, 2016 7:56 PM

*****************
    Once again, you troll the Seahawks because Russell Wilson absolutely demolished your team in a college game over five years ago. Get over it already! We all know Wilson never threatened anyone…ever. Let me guess…you’re not playing in the NFL and he is. Why don’t you just throw yourself on the ground and have a full blown hissy fit?!

17. Card fan here. Was at the game, it was a meaningless game; Nothing at stake for Cards. Glad they sat Palmer. Felt like a preseason game.

18. azjam says:
    Jan 3, 2016 8:39 PM
    Card fan here. Was at the game, it was a meaningless game

=====================================

Bruce Arians didn’t see it that way. He was not at all happy about how thoroughly they got crushed by the Hawks.

19. Well…well…my dad can beat up your dad!

Wait, nevermind. I don’t know my dad.

Good luck to all of the playoff teams these coming weeks, it’s what us fans look forward to every year.

20. azjam says:
    Jan 3, 2016 8:39 PM

========

Good point…

When game started and all starters playing (except for Seattle), and Cards with chance of #1, Hawks were only up 30-6.

Just about a wash.

21. usdcoyotesfan says:
    Jan 3, 2016 7:56 PM

– – –

I have long suspected your constant, childish complaining about Wilson was due to some utterly trivial, perceived slight. Thank you for finally confirming it for everyone to read.

22. How about the huge ramifications that no media outlet is talking about because it could harm the shield???How about the refs make the right call against Seattle in the Lions game that the NFL has apologized for and the Lions win that game like they should have. As well the right call being made with the game clock at 0 seconds left in the Packers at Lions game of the face mask penalty that was not a face mask penalty that cost the Lions yet another win that the NFL apologized for yet again? Lions in the playoffs Seattle out, Vikings win the division with out even playing tonight. The protecting the shield crap has to stop. These are not my opinions these are facts.

23. usdcoyotesfan says:
    Jan 3, 2016 7:56 PM

***************************************************
    You’re still telling us that hilarious tall tale, Mr. Internet Tough-Guy? I’ll just say it is as laughable today as it was when you told it last year! LOLOL

24. seattlesue427 says:
    Jan 3, 2016 8:34 PM
    usdcoyotesfan says:
    Jan 3, 2016 7:56 PM

*****************
    ———————————
    Actually, it really happened. I told that dude to whoop my [butt] since he thought he was so tough, and he wanted none of this. He tried to talk his way out of it.

25. azjam, they had a lot to play for in the first half. The Panthers game was tied after the first qtr. The 1 seed was still attainable at that time. The Hawks still wooped em 30-6 in the first half, with AZ’s starters playing (and the hawks were without 5+ starters too).

26. @seahawkfanfrom1970s Also, I grew up in places like Pine Ridge SD, Church St. in Florence SC, Auburn Gresham in Chicago, and Anamosa St. in Rapid City SD. So don’t spit that Internet tough guy at me. I grew up on the streets. You just write blogs.

27. Seattle fans are just gullible enough to actually believe today’s win actually meant something.

———

And cardinal fans are just ignorant and trendy enough to think that getting humiliated at home going into the playoffs in the same place a possible meeting might occur against the same team within a few weeks…doesnt.

28. Anyone who didn’t see that the Cardinals were completely disengaged from play one is a fool.

No excuse for this kind of performance but 13 wins says this is not who the Cardinals are.

See you in the playoffs (hopefully)

29. usdcoyotesfan says:
    Jan 3, 2016 7:56 PM

i remember that. i was in the bar about 10 feet away. then stephen hawking rolled up and kicked the crap out of you.

30. PFT-MADE-ME-CHANGE-MY-HANDLE- you guys crack me up. Did you see how excited Fitz was and how amped the cards were at first?..

One team had something to play for and that was THE CARDINALS the seahawks can’t control their playoff match up so it didn’t matter to them as much and it was the seahawks who sat like 5-6 players NOT ARIZONA who was hoping for the #1 overall NFL seed dude. Of course they were disinterested but that’s bc they realized real quickly that even with many backups the hawks weren’t going to lay down. Your secondary has been exposed lucky the hawks didn’t score 2 more tds.

31. pemory says:
    Jan 3, 2016 7:43 PM

Hawk fan here. I felt the same exact way last week when the Rams spanked us like they always do. The NFL is unpredictable that’s for sure.

32. hbudgess says:
    Jan 3, 2016 7:50 PM
    The Seahawks are the hottest team going into the playoffs! Still hope the Bikings beat the Packers tonight!!!
    _______________

A little respect goes a long way. The hottest team going into the playoffs didn’t lose to the Rams last week. In fact it won it’s tenth in a row today. Not dissing the ‘Hawks, just offering some perspective.

33. Cards fan here. All-around putrid, disgraceful effort today. The only positive is that they did every stupid, lousy thing possible today so hopefully it’s out of their system. And they stayed healthy. Kudos to the Hawks for delivering a message.

Appreciate your thoughts jeffesky. The NFL is week-to-week crazy, which I suppose is what makes it so damn fascinating. Here’s hoping our teams meet again in the NFC Championship Game.

34. What wins in the playoffs? Defense and a run game. The seahawks have the #1 scoring defense for the 4th straight year. They have a fresh Marshawn And Chancellor coming back, and on a side note they have a high flying passing attack. Look out.

35. So sick of hearing what a class act Wilson is. I punked that guy when he was in college at Wisconsin. In the 2011 season, my buddies and I went to Madison, WI to watch our South Dakota Coyotes play his Badgers. After the game, we were at a bar when this clown showed up, started acting like he owned the place, came over to our table, and said he was going to “whoop on everyone” for not giving him respect. Him being 5’11” 200 lbs. and me 6’6″ 250 lbs. I confronted him and changed his attitude very quickly. I’m just glad the guy who took a video deleted it before putting it out in cyberspace.

———————————————

Let me guess who gave this a thumbs up:

Perez Hilton, Harvey from TMZ, Nik Richie

36. Cards fan here. What an embarrassing game. I hate the Seahawks, but only because they DON’T DIE. The games are always close, I hate it. Pete Carrol is a great coach, Wilson is a great player. I am legitimately scared of playing Seattle. I know the Cardinals can beat anyone else. I look forward to the inevitable rematch between Arizona and Seattle in the playoffs…

37. Seattle Seahawks aren’t gunning for a Supper bowl win this season, their gunning for a 3-peat! And this goal of a 3-peat to the supper bowl only adds fuel their fire. When they achieve that goal (which they probably will,)
    its REDEMPTION time for them. Everyone watch out, this team is hungry and extremely dangerous!!!!

38. Seahawk fan here. I don’t read too much into the result of this game. We played well, but we really needed to after looking flat against the Rams. Cards may have been too happy after last week’s dismantling of Green Bay and earning their bye, or may have been watching the scoreboard and seeing Carolina pull away, or may have been saving their best offensive plays and blitz schemes for another, more important day.

That said, if there is a rematch in a few weeks, and the Cardinals do not run the ball, and defend the run, better than they did today, they’re in for a planet of hurt. That matters in the playoffs…big time.

39. Honestly, the Rams beating my Hawks at this point really doesn’t say much, simply because the Rams are always mediocre overall and it never really has much effect on the Hawks in the big picture. If anything the Rams beating us last week helped the Hawks refocus.

40. How about the huge ramifications that no media outlet is talking about because it could harm the shield???How about the refs make the right call against Seattle in the Lions game that the NFL has apologized for and the Lions win that game like they should have. As well the right call being made with the game clock at 0 seconds left in the Packers at Lions game of the face mask penalty that was not a face mask penalty that cost the Lions yet another win that the NFL apologized for yet again? Lions in the playoffs Seattle out, Vikings win the division with out even playing tonight. The protecting the shield crap has to stop. These are not my opinions these are facts.
    ———————————————-
    That no call on batting the ball was a judgement call by the ref, of an obsure rule, that needs to be changed, it gave Seattle no advantage in any way, the ref likely got it wrong but it did not cost the Lions the game, as there was almost three minutes left. In addition, Seattle would have still made the playoffs.

41. drswaggletooth, if the Seahawks ended up limping into the playoffs in the fashion that the Packers have, I’d honestly give you more credit for your point. HOWEVER, the second half of this season has shown that while the Hawks were subpar earlier and did get a lucky bounce perhaps, they aren’t in the post season by fluke.

If you want to see a fluky game, watch Superbowl XL. We Hawk fans think of that game as one big vomit bag.