Coughlin: I’m gratified and proud we delivered two Super Bowl titles

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - FEBRUARY 05:  Head coach Tom Coughlin of the New York Giants kisses the Vince Lombardi Trophy after defeating the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI at Lucas Oil Stadium on February 5, 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana. The New York Giants defeated the New England Patriots 21-17.  (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images) Getty Images

Tom Coughlin announced Monday in a statement that he is stepping down after 12 seasons as the Giants’ head coach.

The decision was announced after meetings with team ownership, players and coaches a day after the Giants ended their third straight losing season with a 35-30 loss to the Eagles. In his statement, which appears in full below, Coughlin accepted responsibility for those years while also looking back on the happier moments during his tenure with the team.

“I met with John Mara and Steve Tisch this afternoon, and I informed them that it is in the best interest of the organization that I step down as head coach. I strongly believe the time is right for me and my family, and as I said, the Giants organization,” Coughlin said. “It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as head coach of the New York Football Giants. This is a not a sad occasion for me. I have spent 15 years with this organization as an assistant and head coach and was fortunate to be part of three Super Bowl winning teams. A Lombardi Trophy every five years is an achievement in which we all take great pride.

“Obviously, the past three years have not been what any of us expect, and as head coach, I accept the responsibility for those seasons. I think it has been evident these last 12 years here how much pride I take in representing this franchise. I am gratified and proud that we were able to deliver two more Lombardi trophies to the display case in our lobby during that time. That is a tribute to our players and staff, and it was truly fulfilling to be the leader of those teams.”

“I appreciate the support of John and his family and Steve and his family, and of Jerry Reese and his staff. I think our organization is a great representation of what I mean when I talk about ‘team’. Finally, I would be remiss if I did not thank my wife Judy and our four children and their spouses and our 11 (soon to be 12) grandchildren. None of this would have been possible without their unconditional love and support.”

There are already reports that Coughlin would like to continue coaching if the right opportunity should come along. Given his success with the Giants, Jaguars and at Boston College, there should be a few teams making calls to see if their opportunity would qualify.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
56 Responses to “Coughlin: I’m gratified and proud we delivered two Super Bowl titles”
  1. roadtrip3500 says: Jan 4, 2016 2:42 PM

He even resigned with class. Giants ring of honor and a Canton yellow jacket are next.

2. chawkup says: Jan 4, 2016 2:42 PM

TC is a class act.

3. coltzfan166 says: Jan 4, 2016 2:46 PM

Good for him to step down

4. mariorat says: Jan 4, 2016 2:48 PM

He should go to SF.

5. Deb says: Jan 4, 2016 2:48 PM

Coughlin will turn 70 as the 2016 season begins. Tough age to think about starting over rebuilding a new program. But a team like the Browns could certainly use someone like him.

6. ttommytom says: Jan 4, 2016 2:49 PM

Should have been Reese, not TC.

GREAT COACH.

Not happy he is leaving…

7. scrp2 says: Jan 4, 2016 2:52 PM

Dolphins! Steve Ross step up and get Coughlin!

8. ttommytom says: Jan 4, 2016 2:52 PM

Buffalo
    Cleveland
    Tenn
    Jacksonville
    Miami
    SD
    SF
    Philly
    Dallas

An upgrade for any of their present or future coaches (maybe Jacksonville gets a pass).

9. idpfantasyfootball says: Jan 4, 2016 2:52 PM

Good Luck, Coach! Thank you for your part in some of the most memorable games in NFL history!

10. iamkillerfin says: Jan 4, 2016 2:53 PM

I am proud of your Super bowl victories too by beating the by GOD patsies the darlings of the NFL & TAKING THE PERFECT SEASON FROM THEM!!! Best of luck coach!!!

11. joecool16 says: Jan 4, 2016 2:54 PM

Coughlin- Eli vs. Belichick- Brady 2-0 hahahah.

12. jim699 says: Jan 4, 2016 2:55 PM

Lol, Coughlin doesn’t want to waste the next 1-2 years working for Jimmy Haslem. Browns fans are amazingly delusional.

13. catfish252 says: Jan 4, 2016 2:57 PM

I for one will miss you Coach, I thank you and your family for all the sacrifices it takes to coach an NFL team. I wish you all the best in future endeavors anf thank you for making me proud to be a New York Giants fan. God Bless You

14. bullcharger says: Jan 4, 2016 2:58 PM

joecool16 says:
    Jan 4, 2016 2:54 PM

Coughlin- Eli vs. Belichick- Brady 2-0 hahahah

——————-

In the NFL no team, coach or QB comes out unscathed and wins all the time. Good for Eli and Coughlin. Sucks as a Patriots fan, but the last Super Bowl healed a few of those wounds.

Coughlin and Eli have had their share of disappointment too.

15. purpleguy says: Jan 4, 2016 2:58 PM

If he would continue coaching elsewhere under the right circumstances, he didn’t really resign.

16. jcmeyer10 says: Jan 4, 2016 3:01 PM

Just seemed like time. Coached the best when it mattered most.

17. dreadnok89 says: Jan 4, 2016 3:04 PM

I miss this guy already. As crappy as the giants were they almost won every game haha

18. jaturso says: Jan 4, 2016 3:12 PM

purpleguy says:
    Jan 4, 2016 2:58 PM

———————————————————

I think you’re confusing resigning with retiring. Once can resign from one position only to begin another at some point in the future. Generally, retiring means someone is done working.

19. liberalmel says: Jan 4, 2016 3:12 PM

Giants will be doomed. This guy knew how to win and there was always a chance with him as coach. What a joke of the roster besides Eli and Beckham! He would still be the coach if it weren’t for the whiny NYC fake fans.

20. gints1017 says: Jan 4, 2016 3:15 PM

No super bowl rings can heal the wounds of that 18-1 season idc what any of you lousy patriots fans say.
    18 AND 1 GIANT LOSS!!!!!!

21. justintuckrule says: Jan 4, 2016 3:15 PM

Deb says:
    Jan 4, 2016 2:48 PM
    ————————————-
    Actually, he’d be the perfect candidate to give full control to on a short 3-4 yr basis to resurrect some woebegotten franchise. I can’t see him meshing with a fraudster like Haslam so IMO, his best fit would be Detroit.

22. mikea311 says: Jan 4, 2016 3:16 PM

I loved Couglin as a head coach but i feel the last few years this team wasn’t up to par. Whether that’s because of injuries or lack of talent talent is debatable but there were some in game decisions that left me scratching my head and games this team should have been ready to play that they were not, it was rare to see this team play hard and up to their potential. I can’t say I wanted him gone, but i also can’t say a new head coach wouldn’t be a better option at this point either.

23. bradygirl12 says: Jan 4, 2016 3:20 PM

While it killed me to lose two Super Bowls to his Giants, I always thought Tom Coughlin to be one of the best HC’s in the NFL. I would like to see him back coaching somewhere. I think the Giants made a mistake letting him go.

24. metitometin says: Jan 4, 2016 3:21 PM

2 very lucky Superbowl titles if you ask me. A lucky fluke catch in the 1st game in which they were outplayed by the Patriots and then Gronk was hurt in the 2nd game. If he’s healthy, it’s clearly a different outcome.

25. bubba703 says: Jan 4, 2016 3:23 PM

Thank you Coach Coughlin for the memories. We Giant fans only ask that you don’t sign with Philly or Dallas.

26. bbfe says: Jan 4, 2016 3:26 PM

Tom, I hate you. You are the coach that stopped my Patriots from earning those rings you own. I respect the heck out of you, but I hate you. Wish you all the best.

27. savoirlaire says: Jan 4, 2016 3:31 PM

Thank God!! As a 50 year Giants fan, thanks for your service, Coach, and for the two Super Bowls (fluky and crazy as they were). I am glad to see you retire and not be fired, but I honestly wanted you out no matter what. This has been too long in coming. Now hopefully the Giants can start living instead of dying…

28. BigAlHeBDMan says: Jan 4, 2016 3:37 PM

Translation: he was fired and allowed to leave with dignity.
    It has to be so because, Why else would he be thinking about coaching somewhere else at his age?

29. tennesseeoilers says: Jan 4, 2016 3:39 PM

Thanks to his tenure with the Giants, this Titans fan has come to hold Tom Coughlin in very high esteem. I would welcome him in Nashville in a heartbeat.

30. medialovesthecowboys says: Jan 4, 2016 3:40 PM

As a Cowboy fan, I have a lot of respect for Coughlin. Look at the things he has done off the field and you have even more admiration for the things he has done on it.

If he never coaches another game, he’s a first ballot hall of famer. And I’m so glad he smacked Belicheat in the mouth both times in the Big Dance.

31. sbaltimore says: Jan 4, 2016 3:42 PM

Class act all the way. All the best in your future endeavors.

32. justintuckrule says: Jan 4, 2016 3:46 PM

metitometin says:
    Jan 4, 2016 3:21 PM
    ——–
    If it weren’t for Wilfork’s admitted flop, we would have blown you out of that second SB.

33. Kelly's Chronicles says: Jan 4, 2016 3:48 PM

Good luck with whatever you decide to do coach…..

34. blessedunliketherest says: Jan 4, 2016 3:53 PM

TC was a class guy all the way. Good luck in whatever is in his future.

For all you Pats haters continuing to bring up the 18-1 season, please get some new material. We are over it and have since won ANOTHER superbowl. Panthers came close this year to an undefeated season – its not a big deal. Success is measured in SBs and unlike most of your teams’ these past 15+ years, the Pats are the gold standard when it comes to that. Keep hating though as your teams spend another post season on the golf course.

35. lambeauheap says: Jan 4, 2016 3:56 PM

I see many more seasons of no postseason play for the giants. Lol trying to compare 2 lucky SBs and then missing the playoffs every other year to being a SB contender year in and year out and winning 4 rings. Ha, you can have 18-1, I’ll take 4-2

BTW Coughlin is a great coach and I for one am glad to see him go

36. purpleguy says: Jan 4, 2016 3:56 PM

No jaturso I think you are confused — I was implying exactly what the BigAL guy said above — he was forced out, but allowed to resign to save face.

37. edelmanfanclub says: Jan 4, 2016 4:01 PM

The only thing New Yorkers will have on my Pats is cause of this guy. He’s a legend for that, I hope they didnt force him to step down because if he wants to coach he should do so until he doesn’t want to. Time has passed him by, and maybe his time is over but he should never be forced out as coach for all he did for the Giants, esp since he was supposed to be fired at the conclusion of those seasons, as well.

38. edelmanfanclub says: Jan 4, 2016 4:01 PM

39. mcfc2014 says: Jan 4, 2016 4:04 PM

As an Eagles fan, I have nothing but respect for Coach Coughlin and his teams. Best wishes in the future coach

40. 8oneanddones says: Jan 4, 2016 4:04 PM

1 playoff appearance in his last 7 seasons.

41. drakost says: Jan 4, 2016 4:04 PM

Great coach, better person. Good luck TC.

-Cowboys Fan

42. birdman3333 says: Jan 4, 2016 4:08 PM

Feels like the day Dan Reeves fired Phil. This is just a bad moves by the Giants. I blame Tisch not Mara.

43. jaxjeff says: Jan 4, 2016 4:13 PM

Class act. Great man. Hated to see him get fired in Jax. They would still be a better team today.

44. apkyletexas says: Jan 4, 2016 4:14 PM

Pete Carroll should hire him as a special offensive assistant, for those times when you have a first and goal with less than a minute left in the Super Bowl.

45. crewchief15 says: Jan 4, 2016 4:14 PM

Better than any of the coaching in the NFC East- This Cowboy Fan would love having him over JG ANY DAY!!!

46. tigerboye says: Jan 4, 2016 4:23 PM

The Giants losing him (Coughlin) are gonna have trouble staying relevant, he got more out of that team than ay coach could… he’s going to be hard for them to replace

As a Skins fan we have much respect, but glad to see him move on…

47. 1967forever says: Jan 4, 2016 4:34 PM

If you’re a coach in any sport, take TC’s statement, print it out and keep it in your desk. When it comes time to issue your own statement, you won’t be able to do any better than this.

48. stoptrippn says: Jan 4, 2016 5:00 PM

A good man.

49. edithpiaf51 says: Jan 4, 2016 5:59 PM

A totally class act. What an honourable man and I am just concerned about how Eli Manning is taking it as he is very attached to Tom, more so because of Eli’s own disabilities. I pray for Tom and his family and thank him for giving us two Lombardi Trophies under his tenure. God bless and Good luck.

50. mistrezzrachael says: Jan 4, 2016 6:04 PM

Last 15 years…only 2 coaches in NFL knew what they were doing…and knew how to win ….Belichick and Coughlin

All the others…2nd and 3rd tier pretendors.

Shula…post 1985…could not touch either of those 2….not close.

That’s how good Coughlin was…Giant fans will find that out next year.

51. dok1066 says: Jan 4, 2016 6:45 PM

Best of luck Coach.

52. daviddmsvcp says: Jan 4, 2016 6:59 PM

His tenure will be remembered fondly by Giants fans.

53. mrloser444 says: Jan 4, 2016 7:50 PM

metitometin says:
    Jan 4, 2016 3:21 PM
    —————————————————-
    Here we go with the excuses and the WHINING!!!
    By the looks of your comment, you most certainly MUST be a Pmen fan. Let me guess, you must have caught the whining excuses syndrome that happens to all patriots fans.

54. Ytsejamer1 says: Jan 4, 2016 8:04 PM

As a Pats fan, I have some strong opinions on Tom Coughlin. First off though, he was by all accounts, a top notch individual. His work benefiting police and firefighters was second to none. His generosity has helped a ton of people and that alone is worth celebrating. He always handled himself and the challenges he faced with class.

As a coach, I’m not as impressed and don’t share in the rose-colored glasses view. Yes, he won two super bowls (at our expense) but even in those two years, the Giants were asleep at the wheel until Week 9 or 10. All other years, they were basement dwellers who could never get out of the gate. It was like the team didn’t want to really show up until week 10-12…if that at all. It was a lot of up and down. That’s some maddening inconsistency for any organization.

Some of that is on players and front office…but year in and year out to come out flat…meh…I’m not nearly as impressed with him as a coach as I am with him as a person.

55. thetruthstings says: Jan 4, 2016 9:10 PM

If you have a good coach, You Keep Him! Regardless of what the players record is.

56. laserw says: Jan 4, 2016 10:14 PM

Good riddance, corpse. You were part of a criminal family that sought to gain advantage over the division by fabricating a salary cap in an uncapped year.

I loathe you and your football family and hopefully you’ll be boxed and buried shortly.

I can’t respect anyone who was employed by the Mara family.