Joe Thomas isn’t sure if he wants another year in Cleveland

Joe Thomas AP

The Browns fired their coach and General Manager on Sunday while their 2014 first-round quarterback skipped a meeting with the team’s medical staff about his concussion amid reports that he was in Las Vegas instead.

In other words, it was pretty much business as usual for a franchise that has been a wreck since returning to the league in 1999. Left tackle Joe Thomas has been a member of the team since 2007 and isn’t sure that he wants another spin on the carousel.

Thomas showed support for former coach Mike Pettine late in the season and said Sunday that he’d never given much thought to leaving Cleveland before nearly being traded to the Broncos at the trading deadline this season. He admitted he’s been thinking about where he wants to be and that “it becomes harder to swallow” the endless losing as he gets closer to the end of his career.

“I didn’t think too much of it at the time of the horseshoe and hand grenade trade, but when you come to the end of the season, you certainly start thinking about it,” Thomas said, via the Lorain County Chronicle-Telegram. “I don’t know what will happen. I’m not saying yes. I’m not saying no. … I was always wanting to be here and be part of the turnaround, but when there’s changes in the front office and changes in the coaching staff, they may want to go younger — they may not want me.  Maybe when we find out what happens, there will be more certainty with the direction the team wants to go and the direction that my career is going to go.”

Trading Thomas would not leave the Browns with any dead money under their cap and would bring back some draft picks that the next regime could use in an attempt to make more positive end of the season headlines. Any call on that will wait until there actually is a next regime in place, but it could be something to watch once teams can start making personnel moves this offseason.

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
47 Responses to “Joe Thomas isn’t sure if he wants another year in Cleveland”
  1. realdealsteel says: Jan 4, 2016 8:12 AM

If I’m Joe Thomas, I’m out of there on the first thing smoking!!!

Thomas should do some research, and figure out the best contending team he can go to in the NFC. I”m thinking that the Seahawks would be a good place for Thomas next season. A combination of two 3rd round pick from this years draft and a second round pick from next year’s draft from the Seahawks should do the trick.

2. realdealsteel says: Jan 4, 2016 8:13 AM

But you know the Patriots will be asking for him too. No way in the world I’m trading him to anybody in the same conference.

3. floratiotime says: Jan 4, 2016 8:15 AM

I thought he loved it there?

4. iammrbinky says: Jan 4, 2016 8:22 AM

I think its safe to assume that Joe Thomas is not the only player that wants out of Cleveland.

5. couchbasher says: Jan 4, 2016 8:26 AM

Don’t blame him. The owner is an idiot for giving so much power to sashi brown.

6. jvw1982 says: Jan 4, 2016 8:30 AM

Even their best player is an idiot….you have a chance to be traded to the Broncos mid season and you turn it down to stay in the dysfunction that it Cleveland…..Shut up Joe you had your chance and you wanted to stay, now live with it.

7. xbox4wwe says: Jan 4, 2016 8:33 AM

Come on Dave Caldwell. Alex Mack could put in a good word. Bring Alex Mack and Joe Thomas down to Jacksonville.

8. bradygirl12 says: Jan 4, 2016 8:37 AM

Well,it depends…is he a glutton for punishment?

9. clownsfan says: Jan 4, 2016 8:42 AM

Joe Thomas should’ve been traded for a 1st rnd pick last yr. Both Thomas & Haden need to be elsewhere next season.

10. Kaz says: Jan 4, 2016 8:46 AM

I’m sure his jaw dropped when he found out they hired the family lawyer to not only run the franchise but make final decision on 53 man roster and player acquisition. Just a mess. Fans are already missing Farmer and Pet and that’s saying something.

11. 15412pack says: Jan 4, 2016 8:48 AM

Bring him home Teddy T!

12. jets4thewin says: Jan 4, 2016 8:51 AM

Guy has been through so many coordinators, quarterbacks, head coaches, etc….who could blame him for wanting some stability?

13. xinellum says: Jan 4, 2016 8:51 AM

Ring ring… Hello, Sasha, this is Ozzie Newsome. Do I have a deal for you. Remember I am an old Brown and nothing would make me happier than to help you with your problems. Let me take this Thomas guy off your hands and give you this really great guy named Eugene Monroe. We will just swap contracts and call it even. I wouldn’t do this for everyone but since we are old friends and I do have a yellow jacket courtesy of the Browns, I would only extend this deal to you so lets get this done.

14. ttommytom says: Jan 4, 2016 8:55 AM

It’s always smart to trade away one of the active 10 players who are sure fire HOFr’s.

PS

Not to mention, the one position where game begins and the player needs no help to shine, LT.

Sure, trade him…

15. ibrandon360 says: Jan 4, 2016 8:55 AM

Cleveland isn’t sure they want another year in Cleveland

16. rocketdogsports says: Jan 4, 2016 8:57 AM

Say it isn;t so, Joe. You are the cornerstone of this team.

17. jim699 says: Jan 4, 2016 8:58 AM

Cleveland: where firing an incompetent GM and a flawed coach is still the worst possible move.

18. joeflaccosunibrow says: Jan 4, 2016 9:00 AM

Can you blame him?

19. bettis3636 says: Jan 4, 2016 9:08 AM

Hes the Takeo Spikes of the O-Line if he sticks with this bum ass team…..

20. damadhatterb says: Jan 4, 2016 9:19 AM

Not sure if the Jaguars would be willing to use pick(s) for him but I’m sure there’s interest there. Bortles lead QB’s in number of times sacked this season with 51. Granted that is an improvement from last season but it’s still not a statistic you want the player you’re building your offense around to have. They will likely be making moves in the offseason and draft to improve the O-Line (again) and the defense, so I would not be surprised to hear them take a shot.

21. CannedHeat says: Jan 4, 2016 9:20 AM

Come home to Wisco, Joe…..this pi$$ poor Packers line could use some talent.

22. bassplucker says: Jan 4, 2016 9:21 AM

Nice going Haslam. You finally broke him.

My Bears will gladly take him.

23. groleo45 says: Jan 4, 2016 9:27 AM

Dude has been a warrior throughout his entire career. He deserves better

24. niles6590 says: Jan 4, 2016 9:33 AM

As much as I am a Browns fan and as much as I love Joe Thomas, he deserves to at least taste winning before he calls it a day. It’s time, Joe….I’m sorry to it, but it’s time.

25. chmba says: Jan 4, 2016 9:34 AM

Why would anyone want to stay with this train wreck? Now the team lawyer is going to pick the players?? Sashi Brown?? What decent GM wants this job?

Another clown owner with inherited money – and oh by the way – his company blatantly cheated its customers too!

26. kfoyo808 says: Jan 4, 2016 9:35 AM

Eagles badly need O-liners…trade em Demeco Ryans and Kiki Alonso and a 3rd rounder.

27. cymbaline6 says: Jan 4, 2016 9:36 AM

As a Bengals fan through the 90s, allow me to give you some insight into what a Browns fan likely thinks about this:

“Please don’t go. We’re sorry you’ve lost for our team for so long. We understand why you want to leave. You deserve better. Get out of this place. Go to a winner, Joe. Win a Super Bowl, Joe.”

At some point the desire to see your team win turns into a perverse desire to see your team lose so that there will be some hope that the owner will get out and someone competent will get in. If Browns fans weren’t there a week ago, I’d say most are now.

28. chris6523 says: Jan 4, 2016 9:39 AM

Joe Thomas has played 9 seasons in the NFL and has had 5 different head coaches already. Not one of them interim. Each of the last 4 head coaches were there for one or two years before being fired. I can only assume that has never happened in the NFL before.

29. clbrwns says: Jan 4, 2016 9:39 AM

Joe, I’ve been a fan since the early 1970’s. I can’t get out, why should you.. Haha.. Go Browns.

30. dietrich43 says: Jan 4, 2016 9:51 AM

He would look great in a Steelers uniform. And the Browns are nutty enough to trade him in the Division.

31. ch1ggs says: Jan 4, 2016 9:54 AM

Had a chance to go to Denver, but the Browns F.O. was way too greedy.

32. casualmalexlfan says: Jan 4, 2016 9:54 AM

Haslam giving roster control to his lawyer and once again beginning a coaching search before hiring a GM should have all the players worried about their careers. Haslam’s setting everyone up for failure with these front office moves.

33. jjackwagon says: Jan 4, 2016 10:04 AM

No one wants another year in Cleveland, no one.

34. floratiotime says: Jan 4, 2016 10:05 AM

It’s good to see the Eagles fans once again chasing every free agent, trade, and draft choice. The Dream Team roster would top 100 if they had their way. Priceless.

35. 4ever19 says: Jan 4, 2016 10:22 AM

I’m thinking my beloved Colts could find a spot for him.

36. kenrmer says: Jan 4, 2016 10:29 AM

Better yet, is there another city wanting to trade another sports team for the Browns?

37. Remember when PFT was about football? Now its just a bunch of whiney losers who cry about the Patriots says: Jan 4, 2016 10:39 AM

realdealsteel says:
    Jan 4, 2016 8:12 AM

If I’m Joe Thomas, I’m out of there on the first thing smoking!!!

___________________________

8 weeks ago the Browns wanted 2 first round picks for him, what in the last 2 months has changed that would make them decide that instead of 2 firsts, now they will settle for a couple of thirds and a second??? Are you sure you wouldn’t want to throw in 4 moldy towels and a used jock strap to really seal the deal?

38. rushwarrior says: Jan 4, 2016 10:58 AM

I don’t blame him. I would like too Thomas go to a contender. Packers would be a good fit. He is best LT in football

39. idoubtiwillbother says: Jan 4, 2016 11:03 AM

Please come to Buffalo.

40. thefatlazygamer says: Jan 4, 2016 11:22 AM

Vikings will give you Kalil, Patterson, Teddy, and their first & second rounder for Thomas and your first.

You won’t be able to field a team in Cleveland, no free agents want to come to the factory of sadness so you may as well take the deal.

I bet they can play to the Cleveland level of expectations.

41. cymbaline6 says: Jan 4, 2016 11:26 AM

____________________________

Well, the firing of their GM, for one.

42. captainwhodat says: Jan 4, 2016 11:28 AM

4ever19 says: I’m thinking my beloved Colts could find a spot for him…with you, man, but…
    Grigson is the GM…won’t happen…

43. jonathankrobinson424 says: Jan 4, 2016 1:05 PM

……..Why don’t the owners FORCE Haslam to sell the team?…..he’s somehow managed to be a worse than Hugh Culverhouse of the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers…and he was BAD!!

44. nflgtcfl says: Jan 4, 2016 2:12 PM

Sad.

The guy tried to stay so loyal to the fans.

And they broke him.

For all his loyalty through the tough times the team should do everything REASONABLE to move him where he wants to go.

45. oldcracker says: Jan 4, 2016 2:24 PM

I’ve been a Browns fan since the late 40’s. I’m simply getting too old to put up with this.

Apparently, Haslam didn’t learn a single thing over the last couple of years. In fact, he’s doubling down. Now, not only does the HC report directly to Haslam, who knows absolutely nothing about football, but, he’s having the GM position downgraded to chief scout and reporting to the team’s bean-counting lawyer. Previously, not only did Farmer NOT hire the HC, but they each reported directly to Haslam, creating a competition between the GM & HC. No wonder they couldn’t get on the same page. What’s the definition of insanity???

Plus, Haslam has now placed his wife and team lawyer on the selection committee for the new HC. His wife!

Somebody pls buy this guy a game counsel with some Madden games. MAYBE he can get a clue. I’ll always be a Browns fan due to the Paul Brown years, but I’m done with the Haslam act.

46. fanofpft says: Jan 4, 2016 10:13 PM

Mover over to the slower burning dumpster fire Mia. They need o-line help BAD.

47. youbettercallsaul says: Jan 5, 2016 12:22 AM

Poor Joe Thomas. This is his private version of Dante’s Inferno. He is in the 10th Circle which is reserved for the Browns, Eagles, and 49ers fans and players.