After Pagano-Grigson meeting, Irsay opted for “continuity”

Chuck Pagano AP

Colts owner Jim Irsay admitted he thought about making a splash. But late Monday night, he said he came to the conclusion that making steady progress with the guys he already had was a better idea.

“Waking up this morning, I’m always hopeful for continuity,” Irsay said, via Stephen Holder of the Indianapoils Star. “I could have walked someone in that door tonight or tomorrow night and have them walking in with eight figures a year, . . . and making a big splash. If that was the best for us, believe me, I would do it.

“This guy is a great coach. You don’t have to go too far to ask a lot of people about what he’s done.”

The surprise of the move isn’t just keeping Pagano, but that he’s now tied to General Manager Ryan Grigson, whose contract was extended to the same term in an effort to keep them on the same page.

“It was getting together and getting in there and getting honest,” Irsay said. “Getting everything right and getting a clear vision going forward.”

To get to that point, there were separate meetings with Irsay and Pagano, Irsay and Grigson, and most importantly, Pagano and Grigson.

It was literally putting two guys who don’t like each other in a room until they work it out. Now that they emerged together, we’ll see if it works.

Permalink 76 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
76 Responses to “After Pagano-Grigson meeting, Irsay opted for “continuity””
  1. george1859 says: Jan 5, 2016 6:18 AM

For one day, Irsay was sober.
    Smart decision.

2. generationwalker says: Jan 5, 2016 6:22 AM

Pagano is a good coach. He really did a helluva job this year considering the injuries etc…I think Irsay did the right thing and this will benefit the Colts going forward.

3. margoadams says: Jan 5, 2016 6:22 AM

Grigson & Irsay are not good people. Pagano should’ve ran to another team. Too bad. Karma!

4. worldizending says: Jan 5, 2016 6:28 AM

well….they already know how to pump in fake crowd noise, and they are good at framing other teams….so yeah…keep them.

5. cinzano08 says: Jan 5, 2016 6:31 AM

What a great day for non colts fans. The mismanagement twill continue for the next 3 years. Good job irsay, you proved once again being in the lucky swimmers club does not automatically make a good management owner.

6. remembertheagenda says: Jan 5, 2016 6:36 AM

Trade a 1st rounder for Trent?
    Let Jerry Hughes go for nothing?
    Draft Werner who was in no way a fit in Indy?
    Sign a rugby player and keep him for 3 years?
    Sign horrible players like Whalen and Fleener because they went to college with the QB?
    Cutting Dion Lewis after trading a starting caliber kicker for him?
    Draft Dorsett (who is also a bust) at position with no needs when we had needs at SO MANY others?
    Put together 4 bad Olines in 4 years?
    Spend 60 plus million on bad free agent signings?
    Thinking aforementioned bad oline + 40 year old QB = winning equation?

Thats not the kinda continuity I’m into…

7. wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says: Jan 5, 2016 6:42 AM

Pagano: “Can you stop wasting money on guys like Frank Gore and Andre Johnson?”
    Grigson: “No way. I watched the film on Trent Cole, Andre Johnson, and Frank Gore. These are all pro players! You just suck at coaching.”
    Pagano: “…That film is from 5 years ago.”
    Grigson: “Whoops! Don’t tell Jim and I’ll say we can work as a team so we can get paid again.”
    Pagano: “Deal.”

8. anpsteel says: Jan 5, 2016 6:45 AM

That team has a Grigson problem.

9. nflequalswwe says: Jan 5, 2016 6:46 AM

They both probably had the same idea and brought their “expired prescriptions” to their meeting with Jimbo.

10. redclaw1314 says: Jan 5, 2016 6:52 AM

With stable coaching/GM now its time to sign Luck for 25 mil/year (the trifecta!!)

11. chitown12 says: Jan 5, 2016 7:00 AM

Irsay made the right decision on Pagano but for the life of me I don’t get why he is retaining Grigson. This guy cannot evaluate talent…his loyalty is to himself… not the team…and you can’t believe a word he says. More turmoil ahead.

12. kcflake says: Jan 5, 2016 7:02 AM

MISTAKE. I can see keeping Pagano. He is a good coach and would be dumb to replace him. But keeping Grigson??? These guys haven’t gotten along well and ou extended both? I would have cut Grigson loose.

13. crush22 says: Jan 5, 2016 7:04 AM

Pagano = Yea
    Grigson = Nay

14. terripet says: Jan 5, 2016 7:07 AM

Bad move by keeping grigson Colts will never win with him

15. rcosborne59 says: Jan 5, 2016 7:13 AM

With Grigson being retained it’s a win for the other AFC contenders. Hey Grigson I think your team needs to draft another undersized fast receiver.

16. killxswitch says: Jan 5, 2016 7:22 AM

This is the worst decision Irsay has made since hiring Grigson in the first place.

17. Unchained81 says: Jan 5, 2016 7:23 AM

What a clown show in Indy. Irsay and Grigson are the biggest fools going!

18. johnnyjagfan says: Jan 5, 2016 7:27 AM

Wow. Must say I didn’t think Irsay had that kind of leadership in him.

19. weepingjebus says: Jan 5, 2016 7:33 AM

Glorious. Who knew that the Snapfu was a resume builder?

20. trainwrecksryan says: Jan 5, 2016 7:36 AM

It stopped working. It won’t magically start working again. Fire Grigson or participant banners are all you will get moving forward.

21. skinsfolife says: Jan 5, 2016 7:40 AM

More years of mediocre drafts. The rest of the NFL is laughing at the colts.

22. Remember when PFT was about football? Now its just a bunch of whiney losers who cry about the Patriots says: Jan 5, 2016 7:42 AM

Cocaine is a helluva drug!

23. craigkintexas says: Jan 5, 2016 7:45 AM

Zippidydoodah, zippidyay, my oh my what a train wreck!

24. Indybear says: Jan 5, 2016 7:53 AM

This pathetic organization is going to get worse before it gets better. They have saddled themselves with a gigantic Luck payday next year, mediocre talent, little bench strength and aging free agents. There won’t be enough money to protect Luck, find a running game and shore up a crappy defense. Grigson has demonstrated little ability in the talent evaluation department.

Reading that the pill-popping, alcoholic owner used the words “clear vision” in a sentence made me laugh this morning. Thanks Jimmy!

25. steelgrave says: Jan 5, 2016 7:59 AM

I still think Grigson should have been run out of town, but I’m frankly amazed at the unexpected mental clarity of Irsay in keeping Pagano (who would have been unemployed for a day or two at worst). I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day and this was Irsay’s moment.

26. fanfrommontreal says: Jan 5, 2016 8:09 AM

Will that news be accompany by a banner-raising in honnor of steady progress?
    Lucky Colts fans!

27. mikeytoth says: Jan 5, 2016 8:11 AM

Not a good plan if you ask me. I bet Grigson drafts a punter and kicker with his first two picks

28. flairoholic says: Jan 5, 2016 8:13 AM

It’s nice to see that knee jerk reactions aren’t always the case in today’s NFL. Pagano deserves to see this thing through, and with Luck as the QB multiple suoerbowls are within reach.

29. wwbbd12 says: Jan 5, 2016 8:14 AM

Can’t wait to they raise the 2015 AFC South Runner-Up Banner

30. lunar2013 says: Jan 5, 2016 8:16 AM

More years of Grigson forcing mediocre players down Pagano’s throat = more years of mediocrity.

31. gizzmonic says: Jan 5, 2016 8:16 AM

Like having the same drug dealer year in and year out, Stoners do not like change.

32. xpensivewinos says: Jan 5, 2016 8:18 AM

Continuity is overrated.

If you have a toxic environment with two guys and staffs continually undermining each other and putting their own needs above what’s best for the organization, you’re dead in the water.

Not everyone gets along in the workplace. That’s life……

33. dfwhawkguy says: Jan 5, 2016 8:22 AM

Didn’t help that Grigson blew his QB draft by picking Luck instead of the only true pocket passing, elite, franchise QB in the draft–Russell Wilson.

34. streetyson says: Jan 5, 2016 8:31 AM

A decent coach and terrible GM can’t even stand being in the same room, but Irsay prefers “continuity” to figuring which one to let go at the end of their contract? The owner really is the team’s biggest problem.

35. headwoundharry says: Jan 5, 2016 8:33 AM

Until Grigson and Irsay’s daughter breakup, Grigs is part of the family. He is Ft. Knox safe.

36. knowspinzone says: Jan 5, 2016 8:36 AM

Irsay sings Amy Winehouse.

They tried to make me go to rehab, I said NO NO NO.

37. indywilson40 says: Jan 5, 2016 8:36 AM

As a Colts fan, this is a nightmare. Ryan Grigson getting a contract extension is complete joke. I just hope that Andrew Luck’s talent is enough to overcome Grigson’s idiocy.

38. jag1959 says: Jan 5, 2016 8:37 AM

jimmy holds a campfire sing a long and the result was they didn’t just keep grigson they extended him???

The rich definitely have better pharmaceuticals

39. lemmetalkwouldya says: Jan 5, 2016 8:38 AM

Even with Luck under center, the Colts pretty much sucked this year, so as a Patriots fan I’m happy to hear that the Captain and First Mate will still be behind the wheel of the Titanic :)

40. grogansheroes says: Jan 5, 2016 8:42 AM

In other words, all the good coaches that are available said no thanks to that clusterpuck of an ownership.

41. marima07 says: Jan 5, 2016 8:46 AM

Reminds me of when my siblings and I would be fighting until we heard my father coming… then we were all smiles and a united front so we wouldn’t get punished.

42. camdenyard says: Jan 5, 2016 8:57 AM

Irsay was smart for a change.

43. PokeSalad says: Jan 5, 2016 9:04 AM

Does this mean we’ll see another “worst punt in NFL history” in 2016? Please, let it be so….

44. notmanning says: Jan 5, 2016 9:08 AM

Not a good plan. Can Grigs!!!

45. tgadler says: Jan 5, 2016 9:11 AM

Pagano is a very good coach. I completely understand keeping him. I can’t quite wrap my head around extending Grigson though. As a Texans fan, this is great news.

46. geewhiz23 says: Jan 5, 2016 9:12 AM

Maybe they’ll draft a deep threat and sign more 30+ year old veteran offense players

47. TheDPR says: Jan 5, 2016 9:15 AM

“steady progress”

They haven’t made ANY progress, let alone steady. They’ve gotten worse. Grigson is building a failure and there isn’t much Pagano can do to overcome his incompetence.

48. nflequalswwe says: Jan 5, 2016 9:16 AM

In breaking news “Continuity” is a designer drug that enhances the user’s ability to make organization crippling decisions…

49. mongo3401 says: Jan 5, 2016 9:21 AM

The rest of the AFC likes this decision.

50. sml1210 says: Jan 5, 2016 9:25 AM

Kravitz will break the story that Irsay was comatose at the meeting with Grigson and Pagano

51. supra23 says: Jan 5, 2016 9:30 AM

Should of kept Bruce Arians, I know it would of been horrible PR to get rid of a guy coming off cancer but Arians is a much better coach and mentor for Andrew Luck.

52. nyjfan111 says: Jan 5, 2016 9:31 AM

I would be upset if I was a Colts fan. Keeping the same coach and the same GM means that the owner is satisfied with more of the same: poor drafting/FA acquisitions, horrible protection for Andrew Luck, bad defense, and getting blown out by the Pats. Regardless of how good of a Pagano might be, I can’t see things changing for the Colts anytime soon if their GM is still terrible.

53. sidepull says: Jan 5, 2016 9:32 AM

Prolly re-upped because no decent coach out there wanted anything to do with that drug dealing, addict , owner. Rather pass on a good QB like Luck to work with just not to have to deal with that. Have fun. Maybe those three can come up with some more Deflatgate trash, and hang a banner for this season while your at it, maybe like “2015 AFC participant”

54. cymbaline6 says: Jan 5, 2016 9:32 AM

Bengals fan, so what do I care, but why in the world would you keep Grigson around? He spent a first round pick on Trent Richardson, who was already considered to be a bust, spent a first round pick on a WR when the roster had absolutely glaring holes elsewhere – like the offensive line, which managed to put the face of the franchise out for half the year – and probably made a dozen other mistakes that someone who actually follows the Colts can enumerate.

Pagano I can understand keeping, as he’s generally done well with what Grigson has given him. But keeping Grigson? I would be so angry if I were a Colts fan.

Any bets on what he does with his first round pick in the upcoming draft? Blow it on a backup QB, maybe?

55. intrafinesse says: Jan 5, 2016 9:42 AM

I’m glad they kept Grigson.

PS – I’m NOT a Colts fan :-)

56. intrafinesse says: Jan 5, 2016 9:45 AM

Whats cool is they have extended Andrew Luck.
    If Grigson screws up again, they can franchise him for a year, but then he can leave.
    I’d leave this terribly run organization if I was Andrew Luck, and had just 1 year left. If Luck recovers and performs well, he’ll make a boat load in free agency, and can play for a well run team.

57. feckyerlife says: Jan 5, 2016 10:10 AM

I don’t think a lot of colts fans understand that Grigson is basically Irsays son in law. You are stuck with him for life, sorry indy

58. toybkshr says: Jan 5, 2016 10:15 AM

Irsay musta got into those meds again! Altho there’s a good argument for keeping Pagano, keeping Grigson will insure a deficient roster. No need to repeat the trades, free agent signings, and draft picks this guy has mis-handled.

The other AFC south teams must be poppin Champagne bottles.

59. cross300 says: Jan 5, 2016 10:15 AM

He needs a dictionary. I think the word he meant to use is mediocrity.

60. topgun1019 says: Jan 5, 2016 10:16 AM

After the extension to Pagano and Grigson was signed, Irsay told them to add Jim Tomsula and Mike Pettine to the coaching staff, to ensure that the “continuity” of losing continues.

61. topgun1019 says: Jan 5, 2016 10:17 AM

Both Ron Jeremy and Stone Cold Steve Austin working for the Colts. I see another banner raising in the near future, Colts fans.

62. raidercurt says: Jan 5, 2016 10:35 AM

What is Irsay’s blood pressure? I watched his press conference (great move keeping Pagano) and it looks like his head is about to explode. The man looks to be in bad shape. Not healthy looking from a visual perspective.

63. rportkid says: Jan 5, 2016 10:51 AM

Pagano is a good coach, but don’t understand keeping scumbag Grigson. Too bad for Indy…another year or more of dysfunction. Good news for the rest of AFC.

64. futures44 says: Jan 5, 2016 11:11 AM

Griggson wants to trade Luck and move up to take a QB in the draft. This team is starting to look like Cleveland.

65. iamapatsfan says: Jan 5, 2016 11:16 AM

I feel sorry for Pagano that he still has to work with Grigson. He’s a cancer.

66. thebirdofprey says: Jan 5, 2016 11:17 AM

The real story here is GM of of the Year is still in the building when anyone who knows anything about football and all Colts fans that follow the team see Grigson is a problem.

When the Colts 1st round pick my jaw dropped on the floor. A small TY Hilton style receiver when your team just got ran out of the playoffs. No offensive line help and Andrew Luck was hit a record pace and looked to regress because leading to season ending injury.

Pagano seems to be loved by the players. He took shots at the GM in the media a couple of times this year. Doesn’t sound like a good working relationship to me.

67. rocketmcstonebreaker says: Jan 5, 2016 11:35 AM

I get keeping Pagano, because I think he can and will be a solid coach in the league, but retaining Grigson is borderline hilarious to me. I just don’t know what he does, or does well? He certainly hasn’t built a roster that’s compatible with Pagano’s preferred style of play.

I genuinely feel bad for Pagano having to waste away in that dumpster fire of an organization.

Sincerely,
    A Patriots Fan.

68. jvw1982 says: Jan 5, 2016 11:42 AM

This was actually a good decision, make these guys get a long and concentrate on the bigger picture which is the success of the team, then give them matching contracts so they know if it doesn’t work they’re both gone…..not a bad move for the Johnny Manziel of NFL Owners…

69. crewchief15 says: Jan 5, 2016 11:44 AM

The Dallas Cowboys of the AFC~ From a depressed Cowboy fan…

70. crewchief15 says: Jan 5, 2016 11:47 AM

Do you really believe Grigson is the GM? Irsay runs the show, why else would he keep Grigson (The Fall Guy).

71. nflgtcfl says: Jan 5, 2016 2:17 PM

I wonder if Irsay did this to take a page out of the Haslam playbook.

All decisions, both roster moves and major gameday decisions are done by committee with him as the tie breaker if needed.

For the sake of Indy fans I hope not.

72. styro1 says: Jan 5, 2016 3:05 PM

What does Grigson have on Irsay in order to keep his job? It must be huge!

73. twopaw513 says: Jan 5, 2016 4:01 PM

Colt’s fans can look forward to hanging more participation banners!

74. itsfootballfolks says: Jan 5, 2016 4:47 PM

“Waking up this morning, I’m always hopeful for a [quick fix],” Irsay said.

75. ryanm018 says: Jan 5, 2016 7:23 PM

Yay. More terrible draft picks and old has been free agents. Only beating the junior varsity AFC suck (south) teams and getting rolled in the playoffs. Thanks for 4 more years of this !!!!!!

76. brady2gronktd says: Jan 5, 2016 9:41 PM

The banner is being made as we speak. Good god Irsay your a moron. Pagano..maybe. Grigson? Itll always be funny to laugh at the colts but its getting sad.