Bills working on extension for G.M. Doug Whaley

Whaley AP

Not only is Bills General Manager Doug Whaley not getting fired, he’s apparently getting a contract extension.

According to Tyler Dunne of the Buffalo News, a multi-year extension is in the works, and “the two sides are expecting to get a deal done.”

Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula are meeting with their football operation this weekend, which could be when the deal is finalized.

But they already made a significant statement when they backed Whaley and Rex Ryan immediately after an 8-8 season, considering the tension that existed with the pair at times this year.

Keeping Ryan and offering up Whaley would have been easy, since Ryan has four years left on a deal and Whaley was heading into his last.

But an extension for the G.M. would tie the two together the same way Jim Irsay lashed Chuck Pagano and Ryan Grigson together.

Of course, if this trend toward seeking stability continues league-wide, it will make Januarys kind of boring in the NFL. Fortunately, we’ll always have the Browns.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Bills working on extension for G.M. Doug Whaley”
  1. weepingjebus says: Jan 5, 2016 4:33 PM

Sweet!

2. skoobyfl says: Jan 5, 2016 4:35 PM

Worst news a Bills’ Fan could hear, maybe we need more Jets’ coaches to get the #1 pick after next season.

A Bills fan.

3. jmd0722 says: Jan 5, 2016 4:36 PM

Why doesn’t the team work on firing Rex, the most overrated and ego mania coach in the league. He is definitely the one who is a legend in his own mind. This team will never reach the super bowl with Rex coaching it.

4. joetoronto says: Jan 5, 2016 4:41 PM

Anyone who thinks this is bad news for Bills fans, or that Whaley was part of the problem, is foolish. He is responsible for putting a lot of talent together in a short time.

It’s not his fault his bosses insisted on Wrecks as a coach, and that’s the real problem.

5. limakey says: Jan 5, 2016 4:47 PM

I personally think that Doug should go. But one more year may be a wise move. I just hope the bickering stops.

6. idoubtiwillbother says: Jan 5, 2016 4:57 PM

Nnnnnnoooooooooo!!!

7. mongo3401 says: Jan 5, 2016 4:58 PM

Yes it’s whalers fault players, important players, we’re inured this year. Tell ya what, if the bills had the offense on the field they stayers the season with , would have been a different season. EJ Manuel literally threw two games away all by himself. They beat the Jets the last game if the season missing 11 starters total. They had players playing on offense and defense that weren’t even on NFL teams 3 weeks ago

8. ReligionIsForIdiots says: Jan 5, 2016 5:09 PM

Nothing says deserving an extension like sending inappropriate emails to other NFL executives.

9. joetoronto says: Jan 5, 2016 5:21 PM

joetoronto says:
    Jan 5, 2016 4:41 PM

***********************************************
    Some loser Bills fan has hacked my account again, I’m pretty sure you can guess who it is.

How low can someone go, SMH.

10. cantescapekarma says: Jan 5, 2016 5:25 PM

This is fantastic news!

11. competitivecompetitioncompeter says: Jan 5, 2016 5:27 PM

So I guess all the cool kids are having GMs and HCs who hate each other these days… [checks standings] Then again, maybe not.

12. henryjones20 says: Jan 5, 2016 5:27 PM

JOETORONTO: This is actually the very first time I have agreed with you on anything.Guess a lot of so call Bills “fans” miss Buddy Nix and the Marv Levy G.M. years. Whaley brought in players that could win.Not his fault he couldn’t coach the team also. He has brought in Colton Schmidt,a pro bowl punter if he played in warm weather.Shady,Clay Tyrod Incognito Karlos williams Ronald Darby yet some of these buffalo fans are crying.so happy the Pegulas are smarter than these fans.Great post-Joetoronto

13. henryjones20 says: Jan 5, 2016 5:30 PM

JOETORONTO- Oh if that was the case,then #GOHABS #GO

14. billswillnevermove says: Jan 5, 2016 5:39 PM

24/7…….. Joetoronto, widerightyouloseagain, peytonmanningsforehead…..all the same person is obsessed with Buffalo. No life, ho hope, no team…..#growuptouare58yearsold!

15. watermelon1 says: Jan 5, 2016 6:13 PM

Not sure this was a smart move, but also not sure they could do better. Funny how this news comes AFTER Whaley finally backed Tyrod instead of his backhanded compliments he had recently been throwing around.

16. xsorethumbx says: Jan 5, 2016 6:28 PM

i smell another off season championship coming up for Rex.

17. d1l2g3 says: Jan 5, 2016 6:48 PM

They still will miss the playoffs next year.

18. spoiledsport99 says: Jan 5, 2016 7:09 PM

Unlike many overreacting Bills fans, I’m fine with Whaley and Rex going forward for at least 2 more years. Patience is a virtue my friends. Go Bills!

19. jpaq68 says: Jan 5, 2016 7:44 PM

joetoronto says:
    Jan 5, 2016 4:41 PM

_______________________
    I don’t have to guess

20. billswillnevermove says: Jan 5, 2016 8:14 PM

jpaq68 says:
    Jan 5, 2016 7:44 PM
    joetoronto says:
    Jan 5, 2016 4:41 PM

_______________________
    I don’t have to guess
    …………,………….
    If you are guessing me, you would be guessing wrong. I’m not smart enough to figure that out, and to be honest, I work for a living and I don’t have the time he does logging in and out under three IDs all day long. I have one email account on everything I do including fantasy sports. Wouldn’t surprise me if he made up a fourth ID and hacked his own account.

21. brownsfandrinkingmakersmark says: Jan 5, 2016 8:33 PM

PFT: Too easy.

22. lanham4eve says: Jan 6, 2016 12:41 AM

As much as people hated the move to cut Freddy Jackson it was the right move, seeing how little he play time he got in Seattle and the development of karlos Williams. Good gms make the tough, calls and he did. He has also brought in players like Colton and Giliese and shady and clay and Watkins and resigned Hughes and marcel and Tyrod and Richie. Assuming he can resign Cordy and Richie and bring in some good cheap players like manny Lawson, and we have another good draft. I think he will have cemented himself as a good gm. One of the best since Bill polian.

23. arcross12042004scorp15 says: Jan 6, 2016 7:32 AM

Whaley has done an outstanding job of bringing talent to Buffalo. This year’s roster had more talent top to bottom then any since Bill Polian was GM.
    Injuries and Rex using talent incorrectly should not negate Whaley’s fine work.

24. intrafinesse says: Jan 6, 2016 8:36 AM

Disclaimer: I’m a Jets fan, and have no love for the Bills

I don’t follow the Bills closely. What bad things has Whaley done?

While I disliked the Watkins trade (they over paid), what else has Whaley done wrong? The Bills seem to draft well. I’m not sure who wanted Tyrod Taylor (was it Rex?) but as a GM under him, they seem to have done at least OK.
    Hardly grounds to fire someone.
    There are far worse GMs around. If he’s fired, what makes you think the next guy will be a lot better?

As a Jets fan, I’d be happy if he was fired, just please keep Rex as HC for the next few years..