Jaguars fire defensive coordinator Bob Babich

Bob Babich Getty Images

Even though Gus Bradley is safe, you don’t have the kind of record the Jaguars have lately without changes.

The shoe dropped Tuesday, as the team announced defensive coordinator Bob Babich would not return.

The Jaguars were 31st in the league in scoring defense, allowing 28.0 points per game. That overshadowed the progress they made on the other side of the ball, and helps explain a 5-11 record. But it wasn’t a one-year fluke, as the Jaguars have been really bad on defense as long as Bradley has been coaching there.

Babich was previously a defensive coordinator in Chicago with Lovie Smith, who promoted him to that post after getting rid of some guy named Ron Rivera (who could end up winning another coach of the year award soon).

But his fate in Jacksonville was basically sealed when Bradley said he’d “look at” taking over defensive play-calling himself.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Jaguars fire defensive coordinator Bob Babich”
  1. gojags says: Jan 5, 2016 3:59 PM

Thank God, they let this bum go.

2. robigd says: Jan 5, 2016 4:00 PM

Now, if only Gus could fire himself…

3. hippieway says: Jan 5, 2016 4:01 PM

Change can be a good thing.

4. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 5, 2016 4:08 PM

Except the Seahawks never became a great defensive team until after Bradley left.

5. nfliferfan22 says: Jan 5, 2016 4:08 PM

I worked and went to graduate school with his son Bobby. Unlike the majority of the trolls on this website who post, I earned my education and am not some 12 year old or 40 year old slob who decides to spend the majority of there day by trolling and hating away on my Niners. I actually know something about football and didn’t decide to start watching when fantasy sports was invented or Seattle won a few football games.. DROP THE MIC!

6. connormyboy says: Jan 5, 2016 4:14 PM

Lovie will bring this guy to replace Frazier
    Groans

7. johnnyjagfan says: Jan 5, 2016 4:16 PM

As long as I keep watching the back of defensive backs jerseys chasing players into the Endzone, I’m not sure what scheme has to do with anything. These guys could not stay with anybody. Tired of Cyprien getting to the ball late and then diving unsuccessfully at the runner. The defense just brought very little improvement to the team this year. I hope it’s not a general manager problem.

8. jagsfan1 says: Jan 5, 2016 4:19 PM

Gus is a DEFENSIVE COACH/ COORD …not that Babich was great…but he was running Gus’ system with Dave Caldwell’s players.

Last year they fired the O Coord…this year they fired the D Coord…

Hey Gus – I think this is more on you and Caldwell….

Babich was nothing special but LAST year the D was the strength of the team….Gus and GM Dave Caldwell are running out of excuses

9. mgavin78 says: Jan 5, 2016 4:22 PM

What does the niners have to do with this post. No one cares about your resume or how long you have followed the NFL. The drop the mic reference is getting kind of old as well.

10. tennesseeoilers says: Jan 5, 2016 4:26 PM

If the Jags land a good coordinator, I fully expect them to take our division next season. (Sorry, Texans fans, but your offense is still completely lost at the most important position.)

11. flbills says: Jan 5, 2016 4:29 PM

Bring in Coughlin…Move up to HC next year.

12. ebbycalvinlaloosh says: Jan 5, 2016 4:32 PM

You might also want to add to the story that before Babich worked for Bradley, Bradley worked for Babich (at North Dakota State). Must have been a little awkward firing his old boss.

13. shackdelrio says: Jan 5, 2016 4:42 PM

Bradley did a good job bringing in new offensive coaches last year. Now lets see what he does for the defense.

14. northernpackfan says: Jan 5, 2016 5:46 PM

nfliferfan22 says:
    Jan 5, 2016 4:08 PM
    ————————————————————
    And quite a graduate school it must have been! Imagine what the school must have been like when their academic elite don’t even know when to use “their”, instead of “there”.

15. wackyjag says: Jan 5, 2016 9:03 PM

Whatever…….does it really matter?? Still going to run the same D next yr……….. Just need better players