Martavis Bryant: I accept Ben Roethlisberger’s challenge

Martavis Bryant AP

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger called out receiver Martavis Bryant this week, but anyone who worries that could create a rift between the two need not.

In fact, Bryant said that when he heard Roethlisberger publicly call on him to “toughen up,” he appreciated what the Steelers’ veteran quarterback had to say.

I’m happy he issued out the challenge,” Bryant said, via ESPN. “I accept it.”

Bryant said he thinks a quarterback’s role on the team is to function as a leader.

“If he feels you need to step up your game, it’s his job to call you out,” Bryant said. “I’m happy he did it. It woke me up. I’m ready to work. . . . He wants to see me be great.”

A great game from Bryant would go a long way toward getting the Steelers a win on Saturday in Cincinnati. Roethlisberger knows that, and Bryant seems to know it as well.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Martavis Bryant: I accept Ben Roethlisberger’s challenge”
  1. dontbugmeonsundays says: Jan 6, 2016 8:25 PM

One of the very very few who actually get it.

2. citizenstrange says: Jan 6, 2016 8:28 PM

The dirty little secret is that it’s really Big Ben who needs to step up his game in the playoffs.

15 points of offense in a home playoff game against the Ravens last year is pretty pathetic.

3. trickticklerj says: Jan 6, 2016 8:43 PM

Wow…..this is refreshing. It’s nice to see that some men are still men. He wasn’t offended by Ben’s comments, and took it as a positive motivating gesture. Now if we could only get the other 90% of the players coming up nowadays to react in this fashion we may still have hope for the future of the league. Not a Steelers fan at all, but this guy put a smile on my face.

4. joetoronto says: Jan 6, 2016 9:00 PM

“I accept it because I know that if I had one of the many other Qbs in the nfl throwing me the ball, and didn’t play opposite Antonio Brown, I’d be a nobody”

That’s what he should have said because it would have been true. “Best WR out of Clemson in 2014”- LOL!

5. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 6, 2016 9:01 PM

Marcus is running naked through snowdrifts carrying bags of cement as we speak. To toughen up.

6. itsgettingchippy says: Jan 6, 2016 9:07 PM

I love that Roethlisberger challenged Bryant and I love how he did it. He didn’t slam Bryant, he simply challenged him to step up and be great. And Bryant’s reaction was perfect… it’s how a professional and a man should react.

7. tonebones says: Jan 6, 2016 9:10 PM

I love the vibe coming out of Pittsburgh. These guys are hungry, and that could be a huge problem for the rest of the league. There are a lot of tough dudes in Western Pennsylvania, and this is just the way they roll.

8. genericnflfan says: Jan 6, 2016 10:06 PM

:::goes and inserts him into DK lineup:::

9. BigAlHeBDMan says: Jan 6, 2016 10:25 PM

Didn’t Big Ben once lose to Tim Tebow in a Playoff game?

10. holeinone09 says: Jan 6, 2016 10:26 PM

Looks like Bryant has the right attitude, and possibly Ben did exactly what was necessary since Bryant has some poor games recently. But, the entire Steeler team needs to play a solid game Saturday, and the coaches need to have a great game also. This team has the potential to win the Super Bowl if they live up to their potential. They can beat anybody when they are firing on all cylinders.

11. floriohatesthebengals says: Jan 6, 2016 10:42 PM

Why did it take him until the 17th game to figure out he needed to try hard? He seems smart

12. ohand16 says: Jan 6, 2016 11:33 PM

Here we go Steelers!! “One for the other middle finger”

13. judalation says: Jan 7, 2016 12:17 AM

Big Ben also needs to step up and stop throwing INTs…

– Unnamed player in the Steelers receiving group-

14. jmethane says: Jan 7, 2016 2:12 AM

He took it like a man and made his family proud I’m sure. That’s how I’d want my son to verbally answer such a challenge…and then answer it big on the field physically on Saturday.

Steelers – Seahawks would be good, two wildcard teams peaking at the right time. Too bad the steelers have no defense.

15. miggs21 says: Jan 7, 2016 3:51 AM

Shame he didn’t call him out before my week 16 final. 2pts from Bryant smh…

16. hallaudermilsmithsteen says: Jan 7, 2016 6:15 AM

It is good he accepted it quickly because with Ben at QB he will only have one playoff game to show it off. Ben is done. Out!

17. sudz28 says: Jan 7, 2016 7:36 AM

That’s how you do it in a tough-as-nails blue collar town like Pittsburgh. I have yet to see any other QB get his nose broken, walk to the sidelines, have the trainer force it back into alignment, and come out again for the very next play.