Aaron Rodgers: Maybe it’s time to “kind of let it fly a little more”

Getty Images

The Packers offense has been the subject of much concern in Green Bay all season, leading coach Mike McCarthy to say that quarterback Aaron Rodgers is “the most frustrated I’ve ever seen him.”

The team has tried various things to get the unit operating at a higher level, including McCarthy taking back play calling responsibilities, but nothing has worked consistently. One thing that’s worked at times, including the fourth quarter of last week’s loss to the Vikings, has been a more freewheeling approach when the team is trying to come from behind.

Rodgers said this week that “maybe I have to adjust my mindset and kind of let it fly a little more” than he’s accustomed to doing, something that could raise both the potential for the missing big plays on offense as well as the risk of turnovers. Avoiding interceptions has been a strength for Rodgers over the years, but he said winning is a bigger consideration.

“Whatever it takes to win,” Rodgers said, via the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “At this point we haven’t been very consistent in any capacity on offense, so if it means being a little riskier with the ball with a bigger reward on the back end, that’s something you’ve got to think about.”

We’ll find out Sunday if the Packers will make those adjustments, but there’s little downside to something new when the same old thing hasn’t worked out in Green Bay.

98 responses to “Aaron Rodgers: Maybe it’s time to “kind of let it fly a little more”

1. I agree Erin, that way your interceptions will go way up, and when you lose it will be on you. But we all know you will throw your hands up as to suggest to your receivers that they ran the wrong route.

#MinnesotaoverGB
    #2015NFCNorthChamps
    #SkolVikes
    #NoPackNo

2. That style of offense worked “at times” because teams were in a prevent defense. I don’t think getting overly aggressive is going to help the Pack.

Their offense is struggling with the fundamentals of running good routes, getting separation, and making the catch.

I hope they get it figured out.

3. As one person who has grown tired of the “only throw a catchable ball when he’s wide open” approach of Rodgers’ game (which is at an all time high this season w/o sure handed sideline beast Jordy Nelson) I welcome it. Let your dudes make plays. The current approach ain’t working but it’s all about finding a balance of the approaches. Open it up. Packers aren’t getting far with the reins pulled in the offense. Truthfully they aren’t likely getting far letting go of the reins. Just not a good team and a team with no identity doing well at this time of the year.

4. If letting it fly means MM doesn’t put slow ass James Jones, Richard Rodgers and Eddie Lacy on the field together then go for it, but just splitting Richard Rodgers out wide isn’t going to cut it.

I would like to see a package with Abbredaris and Cobb in the slot with Adams and Janis on the boundary. It doesn’t need to be the whole offense but throw that look at the Skins for a few series. You need to spread the field north and south and not just east and west.

5. tqaztec says:
    Jan 8, 2016 11:44 AM
    I thought the answer was MM taking back the play calling?

6-5 in the playoffs
    ———————-

Actually 7-6 in the playoffs with a Super Bowl victory.

In that same time the Vikings are 1-3 in the playoffs and we all know zero Super Bowls/Titles.

6. Aaron Rodgers: Maybe it’s time to “kind of let it fly a little more”
    —-
    What he really means is tossing it up there on 3rd downs in hopes of landing pass interference. He probably has more PI yards than actual passing yards.

7. It was just last year that all we heard was the wealth of wr. depth the Packers had. ……that they had guys on the bench that would be starting if on some other team. Those of us who said Cobb had limitations were scoffed at and that Adams hadn’t did a thing to support his write-ups, as he still hasn’t. Will Jordy Nelson be the same WR after his injury? Very doubtful. Remember all the, “in TT we trust”, his last 4-5 drafts haven’t produced a whole hellva lot but yet very little is being said about that. The whole idea of TT’s ability to draft good talent thus eliminating the need to be active in FA has taken a real hit the past 4-5 years. Just think what this team would be without Rodgers????? They would be looking at a return to the 60’s and 70’s.

8. I agree Erin, that way your interceptions will go way up, and when you lose it will be on you. But we all know you will throw your hands up as to suggest to your receivers that they ran the wrong route.

#MinnesotaoverGB
    #2015NFCNorthChamps
    #SkolVikes
    #NoPackNo

——————–

9. I guess you can’t just turn on the switch for all the marbles. Let it rip and if it doesn’t work throw your OC and WRs on under the bus in the media and national TV.

10. Man I am so torn on this post.

You Minnesota fans act like you won the world or something.

Congrats on winning the division but I grantee the Packers will make it father then you in the playoffs. Neither team has enough talent to win the Superbowl.

You know what though, I hate Seattle much more so I really hope you win but it don’t look promising.

So Go Pack and Go Vikings!!!

11. It looks like Erin is talking about “turning on the switch” again. Weren’t they supposed to do that last week?

12. tqaztec says: Jan 8, 2016 11:44 AM

I thought the answer was MM taking back the play calling?

6-5 in the playoffs
    ………………………………………………………………….
    Queens playoff record since 2000 ……. 3-5, super bowl record …. 0-4. win one then talk

13. RegisHawk says: Jan 8, 2016 11:49 AM

Is that supposed to be this year’s “R-E-L-A-X”? Put a little effort into the next one.
    ………………………………………………………………….

they look too relaxed…… I would like to see someone get pissed, or even mildly disappointed…….I don’t see any emotions in the pack this year

14. Big Vikings fan here..
    And both disagree and am disappointed with the stupid Rodgers bashing by Vikings fans.

Rodgers is one of the best to ever play the game. Period.
    Has he struggled with a banged up O-line and inexperienced receivers? Definitely.

Can he still beat you under those circumstances? Unquestionably. Ask Detroit. Ask Minnesota.

The guy has proven he is mortal. Under extreme pressure he can make mistakes. But his ability to play at a high level regardless of circumstances is almost ALWAYS there.

The ONLY times in his career I have EVER seen him look like he was seriously struggling was when his O-line was getting beaten badly and he is being sacked MULTIPLE times in a game.

And I can’t think of too many Qbs of the years who ever look GOOD under those circumstances…

15. stevedenetz says:
    Jan 8, 2016 12:31 PM
    tqaztec says: Jan 8, 2016 11:44 AM

I thought the answer was MM taking back the play calling?

6-5 in the playoffs
    ………………………………………………………………….
    ——
    hahaha, “win one then talk”

so youre just like that other packer fan that demands respect because a team he cheers for has won super bowls in the past.

hilarious.

16. dlindstedt2 says:
    Jan 8, 2016 12:06 PM

#MinnesotaoverGB
    #2015NFCNorthChamps
    #SkolVikes
    #NoPackNo

——————–

___

Ah yes. The narratives of GB fans have once again changed. From assertions that MN will be “cellar dwellers” to “The Division runs through GB” to “We own the North” are now “Division championships no longer matter” and “Well…how may super bowls have YOU WON??!?!??”

When you make such assertions, you cannot complain of MN trolling. You set yourself up for failure every time. It is easy to sneer when you simply don’t. shut. up about the G-Dang super bowls.

You tire us.

I don’t often hear people compare the number of championships between the Minneapolis Lakers (5) to the Milwaukee Bucks (1). Or Twins World Series (2) to Brewers (ZEEERRROOO). They are different sports I understand, but this alludes to the point that nobody cares about the past of the Packers. Its a respectable history indeed, but just stop bringing it up in every. single. conversation.

17. The thing about the playoffs is that anything can happen. Teams have 1 shot to get it right. It doesn’t matter if you go 16-0 or 7-9, once in the playoffs it doesn’t matter. It only matters how you play after that.

As a fan, I don’t give GB that much of a shot this season with the way they have looked most of the season. I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if they made a bit of a run though.

Naysayers can say what they want, but Rodgers has been one of the deadliest QBs in the past several years. He did win a superbowl with somewhat similar circumstances. If you have him, you have a shot even if its not much of one.

18. Bad Receivers (this year) + No Defense + No Running Game = 1 and done + SEE YOU NEXT YEAR

Shouldn’t have even made the dance, nevermind “airing it out”. The playoffs are about getting hot at the right time and they’re not even luke warm

19. Fact: Viking trolls enjoy any negative take they can find on the Packers, more than they enjoy any positive news about the Vikings.

Look no further than any Packer thread. Again and again, they prove this point. And I understand why.

Its because they’ve grown so accustomed to the bi-annual boot-stomping, they cannot let go of their intense need to payback the Packers and their fans.

That’s how deep we are inside their heads. They can’t see the forest because there are too many trees blocking their view.

20. At least Aaron is admitting he needs to change because he is on the decline.

21. Go ahead and let it fly. You’ve proven you can’t look like a competent passing offense against any legit team without Jordy.

22. This team has lost confidence in their coach after he blew a super bowl appearance in Seattle last season. McCarty is the most overrated coach in the league, and should of been fired when he choked the away the NFCCG last season.

23. stellarperformance says:
    Jan 8, 2016 12:58 PM
    Viking trolls…….you guys just won your SuperBowl. Enjoy it.
    —-
    Correction – packers just lost theirs last week.

24. stellarperformance says:
    Jan 8, 2016 12:52 PM
    —-
    FACT – you demand respect because you cheer for a team that has enjoyed success in the past. Forget what kind of person you are in real life…people need to respect you because of other peoples accomplishments. Am I right?

25. dlindstedt2 says:
    Jan 8, 2016 12:06 PM

Enjoy holding the meaningless NFC North Title.
    ________

Funny, the last four years all we’ve heard about from you people is how you won the division every year. Now all of a sudden the division championship is meaningless. I wonder what changed…

26. Depleted roster. Failing coaches. Still has the talent, but has turned to anger and frustration. The offensive damage will increase, but the mistakes will increase. We have seen this before. The student has become the master.

“Gooood. Gooooooood.”- Emperor Palpatine.

27. contra74 says:
    Jan 8, 2016 1:06 PM
    stellarperformance says:
    Jan 8, 2016 12:58 PM
    Viking trolls…….you guys just won your SuperBowl. Enjoy it.
    —-
    Correction – packers just lost theirs last week.

——————————————————————–

I wouldn’t say that, considering GB won the actual superbowl in 2011. Right?

28. Aaron doesn’t like to let it fly. It makes him mumble to himself.

29. As a Packer fan and fan of the NFL, I will admit that I think the Packers will lose to the Redskins. It seems they have very little chance, as their offense is a mess, and the Redskins passing game plays directly to Green Bay’s weaknesses in pass defense. I can honestly say, though, that if I was forced to bet everything I have on either the Packers or Vikings to win on Sunday, I’d pick the Packers.

30. I cannot blame at all any of the Vikings fans for posting what they do.
    They have earned every right to be confident in their team.
    In the meantime, us Packers fans got nothing at all to brag about this season.
    13 time champs? Yeah. Whatever. That’s ancient history. Get us back to our winning ways again and then we can brag.
    Until then, we got no argument for how great we are.
    Whatever faith I had in this year’s Packers team is gone unless they somehow pull a miracle and make it to the SB, which we all know isn’t going to happen.

31. stellarperformance says:
    Jan 8, 2016 12:52 PM
    ————
    To be fair, your team has given us Vikings fans an incredible amount of ammo the second half of the season. You offense ranks 22nd, and you’re bragging about your “improved” defense, which ranks 15th.

And now…..your teams strategy to win in the post season is to throw the ball up for grabs more. Maybe the plan should be to block for Rodgers long enough for him to find an open receiver. Then again, he is so panicked right now, that he misses a ton of open receivers as well.

It’s not impossible, but if he suddenly “turns it on” in the playoffs, I will be surprised. It’s more likely that the Packers get beat by 14 and your team fires a couple coaches and drafts a couple O-line while retooling for next season.

32. djvh2 says:
    Jan 8, 2016 1:31 PM
    —————

33. How in the heck am I supposed to even think for a second that my Packers are going to beat Wash. in their stadium when they can’t even win on the thawed mix of fake and real tundra at Lambeau?
    Packers are going to lose yet again and Mike really should do the right thing by either quitting as head coach or give the play calling duties back to the other guy.

34. I see that Mike McCarthy is hired for yet another year as head coach of the Green Bay Packers.
    Darn. We are in trouble for at least one more football season.

35. Its a real problem when Rodgers wouldn’t throw the ball unless the guy is absolutely open. Watch this Sunday, that ball will come out and the WR will be not be wide open but that’s the only way out of this funk. Let the WR go fight for the ball.

36. nflofficeadmin says:
    Jan 8, 2016 1:35 PM
    These fans really don’t like each other very much.
    ———————————————————————–
    Understatement of the decade.

37. “I already bet a huge amount on the Vikings winning last weekend. And I’m rolling it over to the Redskins winning this weekend.”

Smart move and good luck. Redskins should win handily. My comment was more that SEA is a much tougher opponent than WAS so I feel GB has a better chance to win, like 5% vs 1% for MN this week.

38. contra74 says:
    Jan 8, 2016 1:08 PM
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////

Not at all. You treat people with respect in the same manner you expect to be treated.

You call someone a pig…..you’re a pig.

Get it?

39. Rodgers is a much better QB when concentrating on football instead of making excuses. I don’t see that changing this year.

With Jordy back next year, he will get his confidence back I assume. It certainly looks to be more of a mental thing with him once things started to get more difficult.

I don’t care who your receivers are – first and goal in two different games at he end with a chance to tie/win. And he failed four times each. Tell me he isn’t doubting himself.

If the Packers are to win, they better have a lead in the fourth, because “Captain Comeback” he ain’t.

40. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Jan 8, 2016 3:24 PM

The last time the Packers didn’t win the NFC North, they won the Super Bowl. #believe #warrior #justsayin
    ________

Let me know how that works out for you.

The last time the Packers played a 9-7 team in the playoffs, they got blown out at home despite finishing 15-1 that season.

41. I don’t think either the Vikings or the Packers are real contenders this year. The best either could hope for is the NFC North title. Hats off to the Vikings. I wouldn’t get comfortable though. Nelson will be back, they will draft some o-linemen, and with this defense they should prove to be a very formidable team. We will see how the Vikings do picking at the back of the draft this season.

42. “I don’t think either the Vikings or the Packers are real contenders this year.”

Agreed. Those two teams have the least chance to win a playoff game.

43. jermainewiggins says:
    Jan 8, 2016 11:47 AM

Remember the Packers last playoff game?
    #chokejob
    ————
    Remember how EVERY Viking playoff season has ended?
    #chokejob
    #ZeroSuperBowlsWinsEver

44. lambeaudungbarn says:
    Jan 8, 2016 3:45 PM
    Packer fans now cheering for the Seahawks now that they can no longer beat the Vikings….. Gotta love it!
    ////////////////////////////////////

Not me. North Division all the way………but not until the Packers are out of it. Ideally, a rematch outdoors in Minneapolis would be my dream scenario.

In all seriousness (and I know I’m in the minority,) I will support the Vikings as far as they can go……but only until and unless the Packers are out of it. The only player that makes me pinch my nose on that team…. is Peterson.

Question: How many of you “fans” will be there…in the cold….supporting your team? Not many I’ll bet. If I lived there, I would be there, even as a Packer fan.

45. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Jan 8, 2016 3:33 PM
    Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Jan 8, 2016 3:24 PM

________

Let me know how that works out for you.

————————————————————————

Give the man some slack, he’s just making an observation. You are also making one.

Here’s another observation:

The last time the Vikings won a superbowl was…

never.

46. rosstuckershair says:
    Jan 8, 2016 12:30 PM

==================================
    What Rodgers said was “maybe I have to adjust my mindset and kind of let it fly a little more”.

How is that the same as “turning on the switch”?

Which, by the way, he never said last week.

47. jeydrade says:
    Jan 8, 2016 4:17 PM

In Teddy We Trust says:
    Jan 8, 2016 3:33 PM
    Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Jan 8, 2016 3:24 PM

________

Let me know how that works out for you.

==================================
    The Giants turned out to have a good team that year, despite being 9-7. They won 3 out of their 4 last games, and then beat the Falcons, who were 10-6, beat the 15-1 Packers and the 13-3 49ers on their home fields, before defeating the 13-3 Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Point is, it doesn’t matter what the records are once you get into the playoffs, especially if you have good QB play.

In those 4 playoff games, Eli Manning had 9 TD passes and 1 INT, and averaged over 300 yards per game.

In 16 regular season games, Teddy Bridgewater had 14 TD’s and 9 INT’s. He averaged over 100 yards a game less than Manning did in the playoffs.

Teddy Bridgewater doesn’t lead the Vikings. He rides on the back of AP and the defense.

48. This is (painfully) easy. For Packer fans, that is.
    Due to a so-so talent collection in the offensive line, the staggering amount of injuries turned the Packers’ O line into something that didn’t even belong in the NFL. They were mesmerizingly HORRIBLE! Their receivers were run of the mill. Their backs played like they were run of the mill. They had a 32nd place team, for all intents and purposes. Now, what the F was a brilliant quarterback supposed to do with that? RODGERS WAS SACKED EIGHT TIMES IN THE FIRST 3 QUARTERS OF THE ARIZONA GAME!!!

The Packers’ management is responsible. You can’t get a turkey out of a chicken and you can’t play in the NFL with a bunch of 3rd rate “talent.”

49. footbawfan says:
    Jan 8, 2016 2:03 PM
    Rodgers has 38k passing yards and 31 TDs and this is considered a DOWN year. He’ll be fine
    ——–
    First, a lesson on decimal point. He had 3.8k passing yards.

He went 4-6 in his last 10 games, after their bye week. He had 16 TD’s in that time frame. All in all, horrible numbers for a former MVP of the nfl.

And the most important part, he has been playing absolutely awful lately. He has more fumbles returned for TD’s than passing TD’s down the stretch.

50. whatjusthapped says:
    Jan 8, 2016 1:51 PM
    ———-
    “Throw the ball up for grabs” is not an offensive strategy. Of all the ideas I have ever heard, that has to be one of the worst.

51. Vikings finally have a good year… too bad they will get smashed this playoffs and will fail to make it next year. The life of Vikings fans. Enjoy holding the meaningless NFC North Title. Those don’t bring in Super Bowls. But to a Vikings fan, any banner is considered a victory…
    ————————-
    What a crap comment. The title is only meaningless to you jealous Cheeseheads because you didn’t win it, and with your declining team you won’t win it for a very long time. I see the Lions as the Vikings biggest competition next year for the NFCN title. By the time your team figures out its problems Little Erin will be on Medicare.

52. Why didn’t he state this in week 4? Maybe if you had a true #1 WR it would help. Kinda late now innit? Blow pack blow.

53. conormacleod
    Jan 8, 2016, 4:22 PM CST
    footbawfan says:
    Jan 8, 2016 2:03 PM
    ——–
    First, a lesson on decimal point. He had 3.8k passing yards.

—–
    16 tds played “horrible” and yet that’s more than Bridgewaters 14 tds all year. I’m sure you still think he’s the real deal though, huh? You’re still riding high from that stellar 99 yds performance last week.

Also good call on blaming those fumbles solely on Rodgers and not his O line or anything. He has all day to throw back there anyways….

54. footbawfan says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As already pointed out – your decimal point is in the wrong place… 😉

Rodgers hasn’t even had 38K passing yards in his entire 11 year NFL career.

3800 yards is his worst season ever (not counting the 2013 season where he missed 7 games) as a starter.

Even in his first year as starter – he had over 4000.

It wasn’t a “down” year. It has been a bad year for Rodgers.

55. Jealousy is a nasty habit.

People that are hating on Aaron Rodgers all the time are the same people who wish they had him.

His numbers are irrefutable and the 2 time MVP has also won a superbowl, while championing many of the best ratios in history – all over an 8 year span. His numbers this year are FAR from terrible, but he hasn’t had the same success obviously. It does happen. They are still better than many, compounded by the many issues on that team.

No one is perfect, everyone has bad stretches. A team is more than one man. They may or may not win, but that doesn’t make or break Rodgers as a player by any stretch of the imagination.

If you want to hate someone, hate your front offices who passed over him in the draft.

56. footbawfan says:

that’s more than Bridgewaters 14 tds all year.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bridgewater’s 14 TD’s is 14 more than Rodgers had in his first 2 NFL seasons. 13 more than Rodgers first 3 seasons.

Who had more wins?

Who was 5 – 1 in the NFC North?

Who won their way into the playoffs down the stretch?

Teddy!

Who was winless at home against the NFC North?

Who backed their team into a wild card slot?

Rodgers!