Jaguars interviewing Marquand Manuel for defensive coordinator

Denver Broncos v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley has said he’d consider taking a more active role in calling the defense.

That apparently gives him some latitude in terms of the experience he’s looking for in a new coordinator.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Jaguars are interviewing Falcons secondary coach Marquand Manuel to potentially replace the fired Bob Babich.

The 36-year-old Manuel and Bradley worked together in Seattle for one year, in what was Manuel’s first year as a coach. He worked as an assistant special teams coach while Bradley was defensive coordinator.

Manuel played eight years in the league with the Bengals, Seahawks, Packers, Panthers, Broncos and Lions. The former University of Florida standout was originally a sixth-round pick.

But he’s a first-year position coach, so tabbing him would suggest Bradley’s grip on the defense would be a firm one.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Jaguars interviewing Marquand Manuel for defensive coordinator”
  1. catfanatic1979v1 says: Jan 8, 2016 3:39 PM

Unless we want him as a position coach, I say no way.

2. robigd says: Jan 8, 2016 3:39 PM

Why even hire a puppet if Bradley will be calling the defense? Just another guy to fire when he wins 4 games next year?

3. boltfan29 says: Jan 8, 2016 3:55 PM

Defensive coordinators who don’t call the plays need to be even more involved in strategy. They need to be able to read what offenses are doing, find gaps in schemes and get creative in finding ways to trap and blitz QBs (especially with Bradley). You can’t hire a seasoned vet for this, it’s got to be someone humble enough to learn, smart enough to participate and experienced enough to listen… Manuel is perfect for all that.

4. fumblenuts says: Jan 8, 2016 4:28 PM

I would go get Jim Schwartz……….but that’s just me.

5. whodey420 says: Jan 8, 2016 5:45 PM

There’s a name I haven’t heard in awhile. I remember
    when the Bengals drafted this guy.

I guess secondary coach to defensive coordinator isn’t that
    big of a jump but……it could be IF he’s only had one year
    as a secondary coach. I have no clue how long he was a
    secondary coach.

6. crowdedtrophycase says: Jan 8, 2016 9:20 PM

I hope for their sake he coaches the position better than he played it.