Packers list David Bakhtiari as questionable

Getty Images

The Packers have missed left tackle David Bakhtiari the last two weeks and it remains unclear whether they will have him back for Sunday’s Wild Card game against the Redskins.

Bakhtiari has been a limited participant in practice the last two days as he recovers from an ankle injury, leading to a questionable designation for the game. The Packers will work out again on Saturday and coach Mike McCarthy said that Bakhtiari is expected to take part, so the team may update that status again before kickoff.

It’s not clear what the Packers will do if Bakhtiari can’t play, although McCarthy said this week that the team will leave Josh Sitton at guard after he struggled as Bakhtiari’s replacement against the Vikings in Week 17. Don Barclay started in Week 16, but didn’t fare much better against the Cardinals.

The door isn’t totally shut on cornerback Sam Shields returning from a concussion, but it isn’t open more than a crack after he missed practice all week and drew a doubtful tag. Cornerback Damarious Randall is probable after being added to the injury report during the week with a groin issue.

Defensive end Datone Jones, linebacker Jayrone Elliott and tight end Justin Perillo are also questionable and 12 other players were listed as probable.

45 responses to “Packers list David Bakhtiari as questionable

1. GB needs him out there, I didn’t like Sitton playing out there and even though I like GBs chances vs. Washington, if the Bears and Lions can beat GB, Washington can as well.

2. Wish we were healthy. Now McCarthy has an excuse and we’ll be stuck with him again next year. I’d rather he screw it up with a healthy team to leave no doubt where the problem lies.

3. It’s not clear what the Packers will do if Bakhtiari can’t play, although McCarthy said this week that the team will leave swinging gate Josh Sitton at guard after he struggled as Bakhtiari’s replacement against the Vikings in Week 17.

I fully agree. We are struggling.

4. Man, Bakhtiari is a good player, but I had no idea missing him would impact the offense this much. We really need him back at LT. 14 sacks in 2 games is unbelievable.

5. Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    Jan 8, 2016 4:40 PM

I fully agree. We are struggling.
    ==================================
    Can you say something funny at some point? You have a new variation on the Dahmer name and you’re doing the same old shtick pretending to be a Packer fan.

6. Even if Bakhtiari plays he won’t be 100%. Redskins front 7 is fully healthy and Hatcher had last week off. The guy is a machine on fresh legs! Sorry.

7. In fairness, Everson Griffen is a beast at DE. Yeah he schooled Josh Sitton but he’s made a lot of O-Linemen look bad this year.

8. I am a devoted Packer fan. I am not trying to be funny. I welcome all my fellow Packer fans to join me. Stop by for dinner sometime.

9. Looking for a Pack win — call me a dreamer, but if it’s at all possible with the seedings, I’m pulling for an NFC championship game between the Pack and Vikes at TCF Bank Stadium. Well, that and Dan Snyder is a tiny little self-important meddling doofus and I want to watch him pout on Sunday.

10. purpleguy says:

===================================
    A dreamer doesn’t quite cover it but I’ll take a bag of whatever it is you’re smoking.

11. Wish we were healthy. Now McCarthy has an excuse and we’ll be stuck with him again next year. I’d rather he screw it up with a healthy team to leave no doubt where the problem lies.

———————————–

I think, for anyone with eyes, McCarthy has given ample evidence that the problem lies with him.

The reality is-

If Aaron Rodgers was suddenly given the heave-ho, he’d have a starting job with another team in 10 minutes.

If Ted Thompson was suddenly given the heave-ho, he’d have another GM position by next year.

If Mike McCarthy was suddenly given the heave-ho, he’d be back in the toll both collecting quarters.

McCarthy – at best – might get a sniff as an offensive coordinator, but probably embark on a journey even less impressive than his predecessor – Mike Sherman. Sherman was demoted (essentially fired) as GM after the 10-6 debacle of 2004 (but retained as coach). I don’t see any reason why – if the Packers get smoked like they did in 2004 in the playoffs – that McCarthy isn’t relieved of his duties. If nothing else, after the collapse in the NFC Championship game last year the hot seat should have been turned on, after this regular season McCarthy should have been pants-ed, and if the Packers get smoked in the playoffs, he should be fully on the hot seat into next year. Get off to a bad start next year, he should be drawing unemployment.

The Packers are continually unprepared, and without 4-5 good to great receivers, one of whom would inevitably get open, the Packers have been mediocre to bad. McCarthy has never had a second or third “plan” even back when the Packers were elite. McCarthy has been continually outschemed by other playoff coaches time after time.

12. boido says:
    Jan 8, 2016 4:30 PM

forget it, i quit
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s probably for the best. Let’s face it, the “trolling the Packers” bar is set awfully low by the usual purple lunatics and you just couldn’t get over it, even with multiple attempts.

Might I suggest you leave the trolling to the lunatics and post reasonably instead?

13. C’mon pack fans……I thought the mantra is “next man up!”

Problem is, they tried the next man, and it WASN’T GOOD!

Vikes missing 40% starting Oline since 1st game of the year-Loadholt and Sullivan.

No excuses in Vikingland. With that bandaged oline, they still blocked Peterson to a rushing title.

14. Packer fans; remember the majority of the chumps on this site root for teams that haven’t even sniffed a championship. Act accordingly. This was a bad season and we won 10 games. Be proud and stay confident. Go Pack Go!

15. Rodgers to let it fly a little by throwing picks and going the other way. Lol. Whoever predicts Packers to win in this game is the dumbest person on earth.

16. Come to think of it on the hope for that Pack/Vikes NFC championship game Mr Whatjusthappened, it is Friday — so maybe I should have come up with that idea while doing something else other than dreaming. Gotta run . . . . .

17. As usual, the majority of comments on this Packer story are from the regular trolling queens fans.

18. At present, 11 of 27 posts are positively from recognized Viking fans. I’ll help out the Viking fans with the math, that’s over 40%.

Among the many differences between the two fan bases, a relevant one this week is that Green Bay fans mostly realize their team isn’t very good right now – many of us are even saying we are bad. Viking fans either like to blather to cover their fear or they really think they have a good team – maybe both? If both sides are honest, they have to admit that both teams aren’t very good and will be out by Sunday night. Viking fans may be getting in their last jabs because they know they are going to lose big to Seattle. Then all they’ll have left is to say that even though they lost by 30, they played a tougher opponent than GB played. Oh, and the refs handed the game to Seattle.

Rest easy Viking fans. You’ll have more time to watch your AD parenting skills videos now.

19. frank booth says:
    Jan 8, 2016 4:53 PM
    Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    Jan 8, 2016 4:40 PM

I fully agree. We are struggling.
    ==================================
    —–
    no sane person would ever want to pretend to be a packer fan.

20. Why on earth doesn’t McCarthy either put a tight end over there, or have a RB/FB chip on the defensive end to help out your replacement left tackles? It’s unbelievable that your coach just leaves these guys out there to fail.

21. “Why on earth doesn’t McCarthy either put a tight end over there, or have a RB/FB chip on the defensive end to help out your replacement left tackles? It’s unbelievable that your coach just leaves these guys out there to fail.”

I’s because he hasn’t recognized that there is a problem yet. As some of us have been saying since before the 2010 championship, they win in spite of him. I think Rodgers is mentally exhausted from all the years of having McCarthy as his coach, and has lost the ability to overcome his coach.

22. Fact: Viking trolls enjoy any negative take they can find on the Packers, more than they enjoy any positive news about the Vikings.

Look no further than any Packer thread. Again and again, they prove this point. And I understand why.

Its because they’ve grown so accustomed to the bi-annual boot-stomping, they cannot let go of their intense need to payback the Packers and their fans. Their superiority complexes dictate the actions of their simple minds.

That’s how deep we are inside their heads. They can’t see the forest because there are too many trees blocking their view.

23. Hasn’t practiced all week and listed as only questionable?

It’s a ploy. Expect to see double TE formations all game long regardless if he suits up or not.

If the Pack can’t run the ball, it is going to be a long long evening.

24. Well, hell, there goes a guaranteed part of the Packers drinking game – the Bakhtiari penalty chug. The only thing in doubt is when it will happen.

25. Shocking.

The vikings are in the post-season for only the 4th time in nearly a generation, yet all their “fans” can do is post on Packer articles. The Packers are so deep inside the vikings’ “fans” heads, that they can’t even take time to appreciate that their team actually had some, albeit soon to be short-lived, success this year.

Oh, and it’s not shocking. That was sarcasm.

26. Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    Jan 8, 2016 5:06 PM
    ——————————————–
    We had a guy like you at one time at the paper company. We threw him in the pulp vat which seemed pretty funny until we realized it was the TP vat. Then it just seemed redundant.

27. bordner

What’s shocking is a fan of a team that went more than a generation without scoring a single TD in the playoffs of a full regulation season attempting to diss fans of a team that is the only team in our division that has made the playoffs over 50% of the time.

The Packers had a cute little run of 4 divisional titles for the first in the history of divisional play.

Welcome to the club. The Viking and the Bears have both done better than that.

For a fan of a team that so loves to talk about the past, it’s amazing how little you know about the NFL…

28. Going to be a good game. Rodgers, playoffs, he will give it his best shot whoever plays or doesn’t play. Skins will show up and play hard. I think its beneficial for the Packers to have playoff experience. Nothing but respect for Rodgers. I hope the Redskins win, but I respect GB and Rodgers. I dont care what the Packers have done lately, its what they do tomorrow that concerns me.

29. Bakhtiari is very good at holding and not getting called for it.

Washington fans can look forward to missed holding calls on almost any Packer passing down and dozens of missed Pass Interference calls on the Packers DB’s.