Lions to hire Bob Quinn as G.M.

Getty Images

One of the NFL’s least successful franchises is hoping to get a boost by hiring someone from one of the NFL’s most successful franchises.

The Lions plan to hire Patriots director of pro scouting Bob Quinn as their new General Manager, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Detroit has been in need of a new G.M. since firing Martin Mayhew halfway through the 2015 season, after a disastrous 1-7 start. The Lions ended up going 6-2 the rest of the way, suggesting that the roster Mayhew had assembled was perhaps not quite so bad, and Quinn may not have quite as big a rebuilding effort as it initially looked.

But it will be a rebuilding effort for a team that hasn’t won a playoff game since 1991. Quinn has spent his entire NFL career in New England, getting promoted from player personnel assistant to pro scout to regional scout to national scout to assistant director of pro personnel to director of pro scouting, so the Patriots’ front office clearly thinks highly of his work.

Now he’ll take on a tough job in Detroit.

63 responses to “Lions to hire Bob Quinn as G.M.

1. Welcome to the NFC North. Packers fans wish you well. Detroit deserves better than it has had for as long time.

2. When people ask how the Patriots find cheap players or no name players and make them great.. Bob Quinn is the one who scouted and found them.. Sheard, Dion Lewis, Woodhead, just to name a few.. He is really good, Detroit got a good one.

3. Scouting and GM-ing are totally different skill sets. I’m happy this guy is getting a shot and I hope it works out, but I wouldn’t bet my own money on it.

4. bassplucker says:Jan 8, 2016 5:34 PM

*****************************************

Cause you’d know right? lmao

5. was hoping they were going to get the Seattle guy — he has a strong track record of sports analytics — i bet the browns with DePodesta do better than the lions with this guy

6. With age comes wisdom. If you look at the difference between the Lions vs. Niner ownership, one was willing to make the necessary changes in order to right the ship, hiring competent people to execute that plan. The other is lead by a spoiled brat who has never worked for anything and would rather be surrounded by yes men.

I’ll let you decide which is which.

7. deflatedfootballs says:

——————————————————

Well they don’t really do that.

8. ReligionIsForIdiots says:
    Jan 8, 2016 5:36 PM
    Because the Pats are great drafters and free agent signers lol. Joke move, 3 win team without Brady.
    ———–

Brady, the guy that in other posts is himself ‘a system guy’ because Cassell won 11 when Brady went down. Haters, always trying to have their cake and eat it too.

9. Like most Lions fans, I don’t know anything about this guy. I’m just hoping for the best. My advice to Quinn is make sure you drive a Ford vehicle to work every day.

I’m glad this step is done. Next one is to hire a coach. At some point Quinn has to beg Calvin Johnson not to retire yet.

10. Actually, he looks like the type that peaked in the locker room in high school.

Meanwhile, the pedigree might be there but only time will tell if he can deliver. It won’t take much to improve over the performance of his predecessors.

11. abninf says:
    Jan 8, 2016 5:57 PM
    deflatedfootballs says:

——————————————————

Well they don’t really do that.
    __________________________________

Spoken like a true cowgirls fan, they don’t get the concept of successful roster building by working the middle and bottom of the roster. ‘Great’ may be a relative term but the Pats routinely take lower tier free agents and turn them into key contributors and have for years.

12. The speculation has already started that this means Josh McDaniels will be hired as the next Lions head coach. After what McDaniels did in Denver … I don’t want him in Detroit.

13. Should be a good hire, if he is smart he will keep Caldwell at least a season( or maybe promote Austin) to concentrate on getting the right players. A good coach will win with good players. If Caldwell is not moving the needle in the right direction next year, he can choose a new coach. Millen proved the error of axing a coach and selecting someone just because he could. Caldwell is as good as any option out there right now and we have decent flow in the offense with cooter.

14. Sheard was a 2nd round draft pick by the Browns, not exactly a no name. And the Patriots aren’t even known for being a good drafting team like GB or Pitt. I will give them credit for being able to find players via Free Agency that fit their system and produce out of nowhere. But, lets not kid ourselves and claim they are one of the better drafting/ scouting teams in the NFL.

15. Give him 3 years to build the legit contender. Great hire.

If Detroit wants a ring, keep the Fords out of the way and give him 3 years to build up a proper base of youth, while unloading any bloated contracts, including Megatron.

Congrats, Lions. Not sure there’s been better drafting in development in the league since 2010 than in NE.

Youngest team ever to win the SB last year.

16. Note to Jimmy Haslam, this is HOW it’s done.

I’m sure Quinn knows his analytics, and I’m sure that Quinn will have some IT people working for him, too.

And, Quinn (the GM) will hire the HC. NOT HIS WIFE or SOMEONE FROM the MLB, NBA, NHL, PGA, or PBA! Professional football people from a good football organization. You might want to try it sometime.

The Lions will be in the SB long before the Browns even get into the playoffs.

17. And Calvin to the Pats in 3, 2, 1.. ??

Thats how they do it! They send out Trojan horse GM’s and coaches (who have secretly sworn a blood oath tho Bill) to feed back into the mother ship Patriots!
    Brilliant evil!!

18. Pats not a good draft team?

Gronkowski
    Edelman
    Collins
    Hightower
    McCourty
    Solder
    Vollmer
    Gostkowski
    Jones
    Mayo-pre- injury
    Ryan

And Brown had a good rookie year Easely gets a good pass rush up the middle when healthy. Last season once Stork was healthy he started the rest of the season including the Super Bowl and Mason and Jackson have played significant minutes this season.

Then look at UFAs like Butler(who outperformed Revis this year) Kline, and Andrews.

And that doesn’t even include Tom Brady

19. factman66 says:
    Jan 8, 2016 7:16 PM
    _______________________

Sheard was not a no name but hardly a notable one. In 2014 he started just five games and saw a total of only 690 snaps. Although I would have used Ninkovich or Dion Lewis as an example Sheard isn’t a bad one. In taking into account where the Patriots routinely draft they have done a heck of a job keeping that roster at or near the top of the league for 15 years while drafting at the bottom, something neither GB or Pitt has quite managed. Other than their inability to draft and develop a WR since Branch, Edelman was a college QB brought in as a potential special teamer, they have arguably been among, if not the, best in the business over the last decade and a half.
    If I were a Lions fan I’d be happy with some of that .

20. He won’t have it difficult in Det. The problem with Det has always been their inability to find talent that works together.

(shudder to think what their draft position has averaged over the last 20 years)

If he can ID talent and bring it in, it would be no different in Detroit than in New England.

NE has a decent history of identifying talent – we know Quinn will put good plays on the field and probably raise the AVERAGE skill across the board. The question will be if he can identify COACHING talent to make the most of the guys he finds.

21. Martha is not playin’.

She axed the last two connections to the Millen mess mid season. She promised the fans that she will settle for nothing less than wins. Then she stepped out of the way and engaged real football people.

This is the first time in modern football (60 YEARS, for sure) that the Lions hired a solid guy from a top-flight organization. And they did it the right way, with Ernie’s A’s guidance.

To those who are not Lions fans, you might not know how much this means to us. Or maybe you do. I can’t believe all the support and thumbs-up we’ve received from other team’s fans! Even on this post. Thanks, and I wish that your team never, ever has to endure what we did.

Go Lions!

22. Definitely seems to be the best of the four from a personnel/draft background and experience in a winning organisation perspective.

Plus, he won’t look out of place in Michigan. We should send him some coney dogs in a welcome basket!

23. “Patriots don’t draft well like GB or Pitt.”………All 7 of their pro bowlers were their own draft picks who they’ve developed into pro bowlers. You don’t have the sustained success they have had for the past 15 years without drafting and developing those players well. Their starters on defense,which is statistically a top 10 D in the league, are all guys they have drafted besides Sheard And Ninkovich.

24. I’m not a fan of either the Patriots or the Lions, however it seems to me anyone with a clue could do the job. It would appear to me anyway that Mr Quinn solidly fulfills that job requirement, so I would run with it.

Or, they could always bring Matt Millen back, but I would find that highly, highly unlikely.

25. Interesting to see the response by other team fans vis-a-vis Patriots’ personnel. The team that is hated by so many gets pretty darn good marks for the quality of folks in their organization. So maybe, just maybe, the entire team has a lot of depth and maybe it’s a system that should be studied more closely.
    Good job by the Lions. This is a very good omen for their team both short and long term. Don’t like the fact that the Patriots are losing him but on the other hand maybe this will help the entertainment value of the whole league. Good luck Detroit

26. He could be the brightest football mind in the NFL, but I still wouldn’t rule out this organization screwing things up somehow.

27. rootpain says:
    Jan 8, 2016 8:40 PM

——————————

Name one FO guy to come out of NE with any sort of success. Or a coach for that matter.

28. Ugh…this doesn’t mean we get stuck with McDaniels, does it?

They finally get an OC that makes Stafford look like he deserves his paycheck, and a few loudmouths on the radio and in the paper are going to get you to abandon this coaching staff?

I suppose it is the nature of the beast. A GM wants his own guys, but that is putting a lot into a guy with limited decision making experience. I am firmly of the belief this OC and DC need to stick around.

And for everyone that likes the move strictly because he comes from the Patriots organization…how did Scott Pioli work out? Maybe this guy is great, maybe he sucks. But The Pats have a once in a generation coach AND QB…that is why they are great.

29. I hope he cans Caldwell only because I believe Caldwell is one of the worst in game coaches there is. Not being able to count to 11 and “looking more for that pass back and forth kind of thing” with Rodgers for example. However if I’m Quinn I keep the guy to give myself a free year to evaluate. If team sucks blame it on Caldwell and fire him next year. Plus the players flat out love the guy.

30. I definitely like the hire because he’s got one of the most well rounded backgrounds dealing with both Scouting and Veteran talent evaluation but I’m still a bit leary of trying too hard to shake the Belichick tree and hoping that the next great coach is going to come from it. Belichick IMO is just as much a product of having Brady as a QB. Both of them demand perfection and they motivate people to get it. We’ve seen little evidence that anyone else has been able to duplicate his success outside of NE.

I won’t be enthused if they bring in Josh McDaniels because he’s made some serious mistakes as a HC and his primary success has been with Belichick and Brady. A monkey could win with those two. I’d be a little be more receptive to the idea of Matt Patricia because he has a well rounded background in various position coaching roles and the Defense has improved quite a bit in recent years while he was DC. That and the fact that his success wasn’t built on riding Brady’s coat tails although I would still question how much of the play calling on DEF was really dictated by him instead of Belichick.

I would only keep Caldwell at this point if Austin doesn’t get poached for a HC job elsewhere. If you want to preach continuity then they better have ALL of the personnel from this staff. IMO Caldwell has won in spite of himself and not because of his leadership. He was too stubborn to make a change at OC until his hand was most likely forced to and he’s made some terrible game management decisions like not defending the Hail Mary. I would rather they go after Gase or Coughlin if he decides that it’s not time to really retire yet.

31. I like the move but it doesn’t come without risk. Has a great foundation coming from a well run and winning organization. The risk is answering the question can he build something on his own or was he successful only in an established culture and environment? The Lions are betting he can build it and he seems to have a very good chance to be successful. I’d be inclined to give Caldwell one more year while Quinn thoroughly evaluates the personnel. I’ve said it before: Caldwell is the perfect coach for this team Monday thru Saturday but needs to hire a game management assistant, most notably for time and challenge management. However, there are a lot more good things than bad that he brings to the table. For the first time in my lifetime I am a big fan of a front office leadership move by the Lions.