Family provides update on Bart Starr’s health

Getty Images

Hall of Fame quarterback Bart Starr provided one of the most memorable moments of the season, greeting and embracing Brett Favre on Thanksgiving night, after the Packers honored Favre at halftime of a game against the Bears.

Starr had to overcome adversity to make it to the game, and Starr currently is dealing with — and beating — another round of health issues.

“Three days before Christmas, Bart fell in our bathroom and broke his hip,” Starr’s family said in a statement issued by the team. “Thankfully, it is a minor break and surgery was not necessary. He will be in a wheelchair for six weeks. He is doing great now. He has no complaints of pain and is in good spirits. It is a bit of a setback, but we are confident he will have a quick and full recovery.

“Coming back to Green Bay for Brett’s special day was great medicine for Bart and was a truly magical moment. The welcome he received will always be one of our most treasured memories. We give many thanks to all of our loyal friends and fans for your outpouring of love and support. You will always have a special place in our hearts.”

We wish Starr and his family the best as he continues to recuperate.

32 responses to “Family provides update on Bart Starr’s health

1. If you ever watch/listen to Bart Starr on any of those old NFL Films segments, specials or features — he was always the epitome of class, a true gentleman.

Huge respect for Bart – and really hoping his health and happiness continue to improve.

Respectfully,
    This Steeler fan

2. Why all the ridiculous talk about Tom Brady being the best quarterback ever?Doesnt hold a candle to Bart or Johnny U.They didnt have to cheat to win.Starr was a first class person and then the best ever quarterback.

3. I attended an event at the Lambeau Atrium a few years ago where Bart and Cherry were two of the presenters.

They were wonderful. Funny, good-natured, self-deprecating, and those two are still very much in love. I sat there with a huge smile the whole time there were up there.

It was a great event, but Bart and Cherry were my favorite part.

4. If you know about Bart Starr and don’t like him and respect him, there’s gotta be something wrong with you. But, I know about Bart Starr and I like him and I respect him. Happy Birthday and best wishes to Bart Starr and his family.

5. Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    Jan 9, 2016 7:58 PM

==================================
    That’s nice sentiment from a Viking fan, and obviously a really compassionate person who thinks that Jeffrey Dahmer is Wisconsin’s favorite son.

6. frank booth says:
    Jan 9, 2016 8:04 PM

Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    Jan 9, 2016 7:58 PM

==================================

__________________________________

As a loyal fan of the Green Bay Packers, I fit in well with my fellow Packer fans who make fun of dead players, dead construction workers, and dead bridge collapse victims. That’s what we do. That’s who we are. That’s what kind of people are in Wisconsin.

I am Wisconsin’s Favorite Son.

7. Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    Jan 9, 2016 8:27 PM

frank booth says:
    Jan 9, 2016 8:04 PM

Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    Jan 9, 2016 7:58 PM

==================================

__________________________________

I am Wisconsin’s Favorite Son.
    ==================================
    You’re a good representation of Vikings’ fans.

Carry On.

8. Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    Jan 9, 2016 8:46 PM

I am a mirror. And you are looking in it.
    ==================================
    Oh. OK then.

Enjoy being a mirror or whatever other household furnishing that you enjoy.

Not a Packer or Viking fan.

9. Whoa. The comments were super positive, and than took a very, very dark turn, in a way I’ve never seen in my 7 years contributing my own subtle trolls to this website.

Regardless, Bart Starr is the man, and proved he is STILL one tough S.O.B. Broke a hip? NBD. Men were men in those days.

{Salute} #VikingNation.

10. Sorry, but Bart Starr was a homie.

I was at a game against the packers, at minny when I was 7. Wearing my Vikings uniform next to packer fans, I held my pen out for an autograph, only to watch Starr greet Packer fans and to totally ignore me.

While I get wanting to talk to your own fans, it was totally classless to ignore a a seven year old wanting his autograph.

Sorry, but Starr was far from this idle packer fans are portraying.

11. There is a chance an older gentleman at Starr’s age might have just been over whelmed by autograph seekers. He has run a boys ranch for troubled youth, to think someone would call him classless because he didn’t sign something is a joke. He has mentored more youth than we could count.