Family provides update on Bart Starr’s health

CVKVckdWIAEL3Dd Getty Images

Hall of Fame quarterback Bart Starr provided one of the most memorable moments of the season, greeting and embracing Brett Favre on Thanksgiving night, after the Packers honored Favre at halftime of a game against the Bears.

Starr had to overcome adversity to make it to the game, and Starr currently is dealing with — and beating — another round of health issues.

“Three days before Christmas, Bart fell in our bathroom and broke his hip,” Starr’s family said in a statement issued by the team. “Thankfully, it is a minor break and surgery was not necessary. He will be in a wheelchair for six weeks. He is doing great now. He has no complaints of pain and is in good spirits. It is a bit of a setback, but we are confident he will have a quick and full recovery.

“Coming back to Green Bay for Brett’s special day was great medicine for Bart and was a truly magical moment. The welcome he received will always be one of our most treasured memories. We give many thanks to all of our loyal friends and fans for your outpouring of love and support. You will always have a special place in our hearts.”

We wish Starr and his family the best as he continues to recuperate.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Family provides update on Bart Starr’s health”
  1. loumann says: Jan 9, 2016 6:29 PM

Another one of the great guys from the golden age! Be well.

2. jimthebuilder27 says: Jan 9, 2016 6:35 PM

Bart Starr, great player, an even better man. Best wishes

3. paulieorkid says: Jan 9, 2016 6:36 PM

If you ever watch/listen to Bart Starr on any of those old NFL Films segments, specials or features — he was always the epitome of class, a true gentleman.

Huge respect for Bart – and really hoping his health and happiness continue to improve.

Respectfully,
    This Steeler fan

4. thenoshows says: Jan 9, 2016 6:38 PM

Fantastic QB , better human.

5. 4sacroc says: Jan 9, 2016 7:10 PM

THE greatest QB in history of Green Bay’s storied franchise.

6. dallasthepackerfan says: Jan 9, 2016 7:13 PM

My childhood hero. Always class and professionalism. Much love to Bart and family!!!!!!

7. packerfaninmn says: Jan 9, 2016 7:17 PM

Undoubtedly the classiest man to ever play the game. Wishing Bart and his family the best.

8. apache2016 says: Jan 9, 2016 7:35 PM

Why all the ridiculous talk about Tom Brady being the best quarterback ever?Doesnt hold a candle to Bart or Johnny U.They didnt have to cheat to win.Starr was a first class person and then the best ever quarterback.

9. jimatmad says: Jan 9, 2016 7:36 PM

I attended an event at the Lambeau Atrium a few years ago where Bart and Cherry were two of the presenters.

They were wonderful. Funny, good-natured, self-deprecating, and those two are still very much in love. I sat there with a huge smile the whole time there were up there.

It was a great event, but Bart and Cherry were my favorite part.

10. j972 says: Jan 9, 2016 7:46 PM

Today is Bart’s birthday. Happy Birthday Bart!!!

11. chatham10 says: Jan 9, 2016 7:47 PM

I believe this is the first time that Mike did not add one of his smart a– comments. Bart was and is a true gentleman,

12. rosstuckershair says: Jan 9, 2016 7:51 PM

True respect for a great player and man…

13. starrtodowler says: Jan 9, 2016 7:51 PM

The. Best. Ever.

14. Wisconsin's Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says: Jan 9, 2016 7:58 PM

If you know about Bart Starr and don’t like him and respect him, there’s gotta be something wrong with you. But, I know about Bart Starr and I like him and I respect him. Happy Birthday and best wishes to Bart Starr and his family.

15. frank booth says: Jan 9, 2016 8:04 PM

Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    Jan 9, 2016 7:58 PM

==================================
    That’s nice sentiment from a Viking fan, and obviously a really compassionate person who thinks that Jeffrey Dahmer is Wisconsin’s favorite son.

16. Wisconsin's Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says: Jan 9, 2016 8:27 PM

frank booth says:
    Jan 9, 2016 8:04 PM

Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    Jan 9, 2016 7:58 PM

==================================

__________________________________

As a loyal fan of the Green Bay Packers, I fit in well with my fellow Packer fans who make fun of dead players, dead construction workers, and dead bridge collapse victims. That’s what we do. That’s who we are. That’s what kind of people are in Wisconsin.

I am Wisconsin’s Favorite Son.

17. senatorblutarsky says: Jan 9, 2016 8:32 PM

A good man and a true competitor. Wish him the best.
    – a Lions fan

18. cometkazie says: Jan 9, 2016 8:34 PM

All the best from a fan who will never forget your QB sneak behind Fuzzy in the Ice Bowl.

19. frank booth says: Jan 9, 2016 8:41 PM

Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    Jan 9, 2016 8:27 PM

frank booth says:
    Jan 9, 2016 8:04 PM

Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    Jan 9, 2016 7:58 PM

==================================

__________________________________

I am Wisconsin’s Favorite Son.
    ==================================
    You’re a good representation of Vikings’ fans.

Carry On.

20. Wisconsin's Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says: Jan 9, 2016 8:46 PM

I am a mirror. And you are looking in it.

21. bamapacker says: Jan 9, 2016 8:49 PM

Get well, Mr. Starr.
    Go Pack!
    RT!

22. frank booth says: Jan 9, 2016 8:54 PM

Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    Jan 9, 2016 8:46 PM

I am a mirror. And you are looking in it.
    ==================================
    Oh. OK then.

Enjoy being a mirror or whatever other household furnishing that you enjoy.

Not a Packer or Viking fan.

23. ReligionIsForIdiots says: Jan 9, 2016 9:01 PM

Happy he’s in good health and will be able to watch the Seahawks annihilate the rubes.

24. learysdisciples says: Jan 9, 2016 9:02 PM

I won’t stop.

25. Fake French Accent says: Jan 9, 2016 9:03 PM

Whoa. The comments were super positive, and than took a very, very dark turn, in a way I’ve never seen in my 7 years contributing my own subtle trolls to this website.

Regardless, Bart Starr is the man, and proved he is STILL one tough S.O.B. Broke a hip? NBD. Men were men in those days.

{Salute} #VikingNation.

26. screamingyellowzonkers says: Jan 9, 2016 9:31 PM

Sorry, but Bart Starr was a homie.

I was at a game against the packers, at minny when I was 7. Wearing my Vikings uniform next to packer fans, I held my pen out for an autograph, only to watch Starr greet Packer fans and to totally ignore me.

While I get wanting to talk to your own fans, it was totally classless to ignore a a seven year old wanting his autograph.

Sorry, but Starr was far from this idle packer fans are portraying.

27. packmanfan says: Jan 10, 2016 12:16 AM

Better than Brady.
    Never cheated.

28. thenoshows says: Jan 10, 2016 5:24 AM

There is a chance an older gentleman at Starr’s age might have just been over whelmed by autograph seekers. He has run a boys ranch for troubled youth, to think someone would call him classless because he didn’t sign something is a joke. He has mentored more youth than we could count.

29. ariani1985 says: Jan 10, 2016 12:34 PM

Wisconsins favorite son tells nothing but the truth! You like that?

30. edithpiaf51 says: Jan 10, 2016 10:31 PM

Prayers to Bart Starr and his family. May God bless him for a speedy recovery. What a classy person.

31. hrmlss says: Jan 12, 2016 12:26 AM

God Speed Bart! God is with You!!!!

32. hrmlss says: Jan 12, 2016 12:34 AM

Bart,
    even without your NFL play, you deserve a Hall of Fame Induction. For your charity work and as a spokesman for your adopted city.