Josh Norman on facing Seattle: If you can be the best, beat the best

Getty Images

Pro wrestling legend Ric Flair was fond of saying that to be the man, you have to beat the man.

Flair made his home in Charlotte for the bulk of his career in the ring, but he hasn’t always been in the Panthers’ corner. We’re not sure where things stand on that front right now, but cornerback Josh Norman seems to agree with his take on the path to becoming a champion.

Norman said Monday that “fate gives you these chances to prove yourself worthy” and the team’s chance to do that this weekend comes against the Seahawks. Norman said that he and members of the Seahawks said that they’d see each other again in the playoffs after Carolina beat Seattle during the regular season and that he’s relishing the chance to face the NFC’s Super Bowl representative for the last two seasons even though it will make for a difficult game.

“Why would you want anything in life that is easy? Shoot, man, if you don’t go for it head on, then how can you say you are the best at anything? I think that is the way we are in our society,” Norman said, via Black and Blue Review. “We want things the easy way and stuff to be given to us. We don’t want to work for it. We want things to be handed to us. And I don’t think that’s the way it should be done. I think the way it has been set up is the right way.Go through it the hard way. Challenge yourself to be the best. If you can be the best, beat the best.”

The Seahawks will present a big challenge for the Panthers, but running around challenges has never been a particularly good approach to winning Super Bowls. The Panthers will have to run through them and the Seahawks are the first one on the docket for a 15-1 team that has plenty of reasons to feel confident that they can handle whatever comes their way.

67 responses to “Josh Norman on facing Seattle: If you can be the best, beat the best

1. That is what he was saying. NOBODYwants to see the Seahawks. This team is the most dangerous team in the play-offs and Pittsburgh is second.

2. “To be the best, you have to beat the best.”

My recollection is that the most recent competition to be The Best, was not won by the Seattle Seahawks.

3. He’s right and it doesn’t sound like empty bravado…there is actually no reason on paper to pick against Carolina but none of that matters and they know this…I think the difference will be Kuechkly and Davis at LB…they are both the best “spies” Russ will face…if he can beat them they’ll win the game, if they out fox him Carolina wins.

4. “If you can be the best, beat the best.”

I got so hung up with this I almost forgot what I was reading. So you should beat yourself if you are the best …?

When I read it like this I could go on.

“If you can’t be the best, beat the best”

You guys may want to put “(sic)” in after that quote.

5. They are 2 unlikable teams.

And it sounds to me like Josh Norman is intimidated a bit cause aren’t the Panthers the # 1 seed ? Therefore they should be proclaimed as the best.

I’m channeling my inner Steve Smith and hoping that both these teams lose this weekend.

6. This dude is really reaching deep into the quote barrel. He needs a media consultant. He’s starting to bore me with all these silly little soundbites.

7. Been waiting for this game all year. Mirror teams meeting in the middle of the ring. Still think Carolina gets this one by virtue of the homefield and better top-to-bottom roster.

8. This game will be even bigger (on the field) than the NFC Championship or the Super Bowl. … Epic.

– Titans Fan

9. natureboy123 says:
    Jan 11, 2016 1:49 PM
    Actually, Flair’s quote is “To be the man, you have to BEAT the man.”

Often with “And I’m the Man” added afterward.
    ——————————————————-

He also then started yelling WOOOOO!!! Uncontrollably.

10. jmt8251 says:
    Jan 11, 2016 1:53 PM
    ——————————————————————–

Oh please, did you watch the game on Sunday? EVERYBODY left wants to face the Seahawks.

11. Except Seattle isn’t the best.

————————————

Yeah, you know. They’ve only made the last two superbowls and the second one was known as the one they choked away.

12. This game is why I love football. It has defensive playmakers on both teams – two top 5 QBs entering the prime and pass catchers that can make big catches in Olsen/Ginn and Baldwin/Lockett.

You gotta be clueless to think playing in -26 weather is going to lead to the same thing you watched this weekend.

13. THIS is why I watch football, 2 really good teams, 2 great defenses. Looking forward to an epic game!

Go Hawks!!

14. Teams you would rather not play in the playoffs.
    1. Patriots
    2. Steelers
    3. Seahawks

Year after year they just find a way to win. In the final moments of these games the pressure is on the other teams not to lose more so than it is on these teams to win.

15. Teams you would rather not play in the playoffs.
    1. Patriots
    2. Steelers
    3. Seahawks

___________

Great list.

As long as you ignore the Steelers dreadful playoff performances the past 6 years.

16. That’s exactly what the Vikings said — shortly before they taped up Blair Walsh and threw him in the clothes hamper. No I’m not at all bitter. . . . .

17. No, no, no, and no again. The team you don’t want to face is Kansas City. And when the Cardinals bring their “A” game (which is quite often), their the most complete team in the league and will blow out anybody.

18. Josh Norman talks as much as Richard Sherman. This game will feature the two most annoying teams of all time. The best part will be seeing one of them lose.

19. Seattle and their fans need constant reminding that a single, solitary Superbowl victory does not equal a dynasty.

——————–

If your team was young and had the best defense the last four or so years you would be beating the same drum too.

20. I believe Seattle will win this game, too much experience. Seattle is going to be a dynasty, no way they lose this game.

21. Last I checked, the Seahawks are still the defending and reigning NFC champions. So for that conference, they are the best. Until you put them out, they are the champions of the conference.

So Norman is right; beat the reigning conference champions and you have to like your chances.

22. But……Seahawks are going to win this game. What will happen is key Panther players will fold under the pressure. Just like the kicker did yesterday. You watch.

The pressure of being the favorite instead of the underdog is totally different; especially in the playoffs.

Pressure bust pipes.

23. So tired of the “not a a dynasty” Seahawk haters. Been a fan since they came into the league. Many down years have been lived through. Number 1 scoring defense 4 years in a row. Hasn’t been done in the Superbowl era. Back to back Superbowl appearances, with a loss in arguably the best Superbowl ever. Keep hating, I’ll just keep appreciating.

24. Funny how someone called my team mediocre, when that was the last team to beat the Panthers before their vaunted unbeaten streak.

25. “purpleguy says:
    Jan 11, 2016 3:44 PM

Funny how someone called my team mediocre, when that was the last team to beat the Panthers before their vaunted unbeaten streak.”

Really? Seattle put Carolina out of the playoffs last year. I believe that was their last loss before this season.

26. rollotomasi14 says:
    Jan 11, 2016 4:02 PM
    Did someone call Seattle a dynasty?
    —————–

No, someone said:
    “Seattle is going to be a dynasty, no way they lose this game.”

Please note they didn’t sat when it was going to happen

27. ahhh the haters out in full force.

This game will be epic. Let’s remember that the Seahawks were NOT playing well at all the last time these two teams met.

28. Seattle fans throw out the word dynasty like it’s their team that has won 4 Super Bowls in 15 years & gone to 6. That team is the Patriots & that is the definition of a dynasty.
    It’s not hating just stating facts.
    Good Luck Sunday .

29. plum54 says:
    Jan 11, 2016 6:01 PM
    It’s not hating just stating facts.
    Good Luck Sunday .
    ——
    name names or go away. I am on other boards, i very rarely see that word used. Two years ago i saw it more, in the context of “we could be a dynasty”

30. ninerfan81 says:

…there is actually no reason on paper to pick against Carolina

———————————————————-
    Total defense (yards) Seahawks #2 Panthers #6. Rushing defense Seahawks #1, Panthers #4. Passing defense Seahawks #2, Panthers #11. Scoring defense Seahawks #1, Panthers #6.

Total offense (yards) Seahawks #4, Panthers #11. Rushing Seahawks #3, Panthers #2. Passing Seahawks #20, Panthers #24. Scoring Panthers #1, Seahawks #4. Strength of schedule Seahawks #12, Panthers #32.

So not really.

There are lots of reasons to pick against the Panthers, primarily that the Seahawks the better team and faced far tougher competition.

31. Man, the Panthers have really gone downhill since playing the Seahawks earlier this year, I mean, that one loss to Atlanta really proved they were on the decline since Week 6…..

Keep Pounding

32. NOBODY is scared to play Seattle, esp after watching the pathetic team that showed up to Minnesota.

This game will be different than all the other CAR-SEA match ups in that it will not be close at all. And after they lose, Seattle fans won’t have a lame and bogus weather excuse to use this time.

33. The “dynasty” thing is dumb. Like “elite,” there is no accepted definition, so just stop already. In my opinion, the only dynasties in sports history were the Celtics and Yankees, decades before I was born. So please give it up already.

I am also sick of how every fanbase now has to have it’s own little thing. I thought the 12th man thing was dumb even as a kid going to games in the Kingdome. Who dat, who dey, keep pounding etc it is all so stupid. Why adult human people succumb to this is beyond me.

It is pretty clear to me that Panther fans are very scared of the Seahawks. This is evident in the false bravado and predictions of blowouts. I am not afraid of the Panthers; I have a healthy respect for a team on the rise and I know it is very likely the team I root for will end their season this weekend. Still think Seahawks will win, but I am not going to say they will embarrass, blow out, shut down or demolish the Panthers. I look forward to a good game, and hope I don’t have to hear any more of this “keep pounding” nonsense after Sunday. At least the Seahawks spared us the 12s nonsense by being the 6th seed.