Kirk Cousins on free agency: I want to be where I’m wanted

LANDOVER, MD - JANUARY 10: Quarterback Kirk Cousins #8 of the Washington Redskins walks off of the field after the Green Bay Packers defeated the Washington Redskins 35-18 during the NFC Wild Card Playoff game at FedExField on January 10, 2016 in Landover, Maryland. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Packers came back from 11 points down in the first half for a 35-18 win on Sunday, allowing them to move on to a matchup with the Cardinals and ending a Redskins season that went a week longer than many expected it would go when the year got underway.

With no more games left to play, the team will now turn its attention toward getting back to the postseason in 2016. Quarterback Kirk Cousins will likely be a major focus of that attention as he’s set to be a free agent after guiding the team to a division title in his first full year as the starter.

“I think I want to be where I am wanted,” Cousins said, via the Washington Post. “You want to be with people who believe in you and we are going to find out — because we haven’t discussed it much yet — how much I am wanted and where that’ll go. I’m sure it’s a business and the team is going to operate with that mind-set. This is my first time going through that process in the NFL, so it’s new to me. Don’t know a whole lot about it. So we’ll see how it goes.”

The team can make it obvious how much they want Cousins by using the franchise tag to keep him off the open market, a move that would cost them around $20 million if he played out the year under the tag. A report over the weekend said they’re willing to make that move after Cousins thrived down the stretch in the regular season. A quick look at the available quarterback options other than Cousins and the lack of them already in Washington makes it easy to understand why they’d go that route and why Cousins can be choosy about any offers before the tag deadline that would pay him less money.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
26 Responses to “Kirk Cousins on free agency: I want to be where I’m wanted”
  1. key2heat says: Jan 11, 2016 9:03 AM

The funniest part is they are going to pay Cousins 17-21 million per year. Cousins didn’t beat or hardly compete against a winning team this year.

2. greg3117 says: Jan 11, 2016 9:07 AM

Give him a “Dalton like” deal. Don’t drop 50 mil in guarantees, please.

3. spiffybiff says: Jan 11, 2016 9:13 AM

Tagging him is really the only option unless you bluff him into a 2-3 year deal at around 12, 14 mil a season but that’s not likely

4. paulieorkid says: Jan 11, 2016 9:15 AM

“Kirk Cousins on free agency: I want to be where I’m wanted”

=> reminds me of that old Cheap Trick song that used to play all the time when I was a small child: “I want you to want me.”

Boy did they overplay that wretched song – but I hope it works out for Cousins. Is there a classier or humbler QB in the game?

5. dcapettini says: Jan 11, 2016 9:18 AM

Before they go rushing to give Cousins $20m for 5 years, perhaps the DC Eleven should reflect upon the fact that they did not beat a single team with a winning record this season. To avoid the kind of mess they got into with RGIII, they should franchise him for a year. Personally, I think that he is an adequate journeyman QB that will win a few games and lose a few. Kind of like Matthew Stafford or Sam Bradford. You can win a SB with a journeyman QB if you have a great defense and an adequate running game: Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, and Mark Rypien, to name a few.

6. floratiotime says: Jan 11, 2016 9:20 AM

Piggly Wiggly on line one for you Mr. Cousins. You’re wanted. Forget “you like that?” … from now on it’s … “paper or plastic?”

7. j972 says: Jan 11, 2016 9:23 AM

Arena Football?

8. igornathanhiggers says: Jan 11, 2016 9:28 AM

The following is a list of NFL teams we can thank for inflating the cost of QBs…thanks for ensuring that the same 3 or 4 teams win the Super Bowl year in and year out, because average teams have to pay average QBs Aaron Rodgers type money:

Ravens
    Dolphins
    Bengals
    Lions
    Saints
    Falcons
    Cowboys
    49ers
    And any team that continues to sign Matt Cassell or Matt Flynn…seriously why not trade for a back up and see if they can be coached up? We’ve already seen back ups like Kirk Cousins or AJ McCarron who are much better options than Cassel or Flynn!

9. sidepull says: Jan 11, 2016 9:31 AM

Here is a thought: Redskins draft 2 QB’s, both of which win the NFC East. One has since had an unprecedented fall from grace at a heavy price to the organization. What if they give Cousins a bunch of money only to have him fall from the pedestal he has been placed on? Likely no, possible sure. Not beating any team with a winning record sure makes investing a lot of money questionable. It isnt my money so they are gonna do what they see fit. But I hope they take a good look at Nick Foles and Matt Flynn as examples of what can and does happen.

10. jrbtoo says: Jan 11, 2016 9:33 AM

Don’t forget they got into the playoffs in week 16 , finished 9-7 , never beat anyone with a winning record and are in the NFC East.

I think Danny should give him a Brady like contract, and extend DeSean too blow up that cap !!!

11. joeflaccoallday says: Jan 11, 2016 9:36 AM

Garbage franchise gonna over pay a garbage QB… nick foles 2.o, next year when racist names are trash again they’ll for Gruden and talk about drafting a QB in the draft

Hope Rg3 lands in Houston and goes off, skins did him petty

12. realfootballfan says: Jan 11, 2016 9:44 AM

They’d be advised to do one of those Nick Foles with the Rams deal. He frankly racked up all his numbers against bad teams and Washington’s schedule on paper is quite a handful next year.

13. duanethomas33 says: Jan 11, 2016 9:46 AM

Tag him

Zero wins against teams with winning records

Zero wins against playoff teams

NFC East was historically weak.

Could be fool’s gold, ala Nick Foles.

14. theofficialshotcaller says: Jan 11, 2016 9:54 AM

36m cap hit for mediocre play next year

15. Rdog says: Jan 11, 2016 10:00 AM

I am betting he’ll end up in Washington. I think he’ll only get better. He seems to be a smart guy who puts in a lot of preparation work during the week. I read an article somewhere last week, I think Bleacher Report, that details his work ethic and constant desire to get better.

But guys, Kirk Cousins is a Christian. This wouldn’t be a comment section without you making God jokes with most of the comments…

16. whatnojets says: Jan 11, 2016 10:19 AM

Give him five tickets to Wednesday Powerball drawing and call it “even”.

17. cantescapekarma says: Jan 11, 2016 10:20 AM

Washington making it public knowledge that they are willing to use the Tag in Cousins pretty much guarantees that they are not getting anything of real value for RGIII (not that they probably would have any way though).
    Everyone knows that there’s no way they can keep RGIII and Cousins, especially if they tag Cousins. RgIII’s 5th year option is quite expensive as it is. What is it, like $16M or something like that?

18. TS Johnson says: Jan 11, 2016 10:37 AM

As an Eagles fan I want them to give Kirk Cousins ALL the money.

The reality is if any of the East teams get their act together (or get healthy in the case of Dallas) Skins will be back in the basement.

Cousins isn’t that good. But he’s just good enough to keep you thinking he can be The One.

Pay him Snyder. You know you want to.

19. jchipwood says: Jan 11, 2016 11:20 AM

Stephen A Smith would let Cousins walk and keep RGIII.

20. jeydrade says: Jan 11, 2016 11:27 AM

Wtih RG3 being shoved out the door, they had better sign him.

Cousins showed signs of solid development, but he still needs a little more experience. He looks like he could be a pretty serviceable QB.

21. mickton says: Jan 11, 2016 12:33 PM

Miami should get him

22. j huber says: Jan 11, 2016 2:07 PM

People tried to tell them that being 9-7 in one of the two worst conferences don’t mean squat. I think they are starting to understand.

But anything they don’t like gets censored.

23. seasickcecil says: Jan 11, 2016 2:15 PM

I know about Kirks Cousin but who is Kirk?

24. uab9253 says: Jan 11, 2016 3:00 PM

dcapettini says:
    Jan 11, 2016 9:18 AM
    _________________
    Add Joe Flacco to that list.

25. fanofpft says: Jan 11, 2016 6:01 PM

Blaming certain teams for the going price of a QB sounds lame to me. Free markets decide the prices of said players who will play for the highest bidders if they see fit.

26. redskinsareok says: Jan 13, 2016 10:09 PM

I’m worried about his ability to perform against good teams, but the Redskins don’t have a ton of options at that position. Kirk prob gives them the best chance to succeed now and the next 1 to 2 years.