Chargers owner Dean Spanos seemed to be offering to accept an olive branch, or at least consider the possibility of partnering with the Rams in Los Angeles, when he said he’d ultimately “abide” by the league’s decision on relocation.
But one of his lieutenants made it clear they still don’t want to partner with Stan Kroenke in Inglewood.
“On December 7, the Chargers made clear in writing that we had zero interest in the Inglewood project, and nothing has changed since then,” Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani said, via Brent Schrotenboer of USA Today. “Our L.A. stadium project in Carson has the most central location, the best leadership with [Disney chief executive] Bob Iger, and the ample parking and easy freeway access to give fans the best possible game day experience.”
Of course, it would also be foolish for Spanos and the Chargers to abandon leverage at the 11th hour, with owners meeting today and tomorrow in Houston with hopes of finally resolves the decades-long L.A. issue.