Roethlisberger has torn ligaments in addition to sprained AC joint

CINCINNATI, OH - JANUARY 09:  Ben Roethlisberger #7 of the Pittsburgh Steelers is carted off the field after being injured in the third quarter against the Cincinnati Bengals during the AFC Wild Card Playoff game at Paul Brown Stadium on January 9, 2016 in Cincinnati, Ohio.  (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images) Getty Images

Initial reports about Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s right shoulder injury indicated that he avoided any ligament damage, but Roethlisberger gave an update Tuesday that said otherwise.

Roethlisberger was a guest on 93.7 The Fan and said that he did tear ligaments in his shoulder. Roethlisberger also has a sprained AC joint to show for the hit he took from Vontze Burfict last Saturday night. Roethlisberger left the game after the hit, but returned for the game-winning drive.

Roethlisberger said he’s “definitely sore” and explained how the injury impacted him after his return to the game.

“It didn’t hurt when I reached back to throw,” Roethlisberger said. “But it was pushing forward to throw and then the end of the throw. So I definitely felt like I was shortening up my motion up a little bit, which is why we threw some screens, and couldn’t really get the ball down the field… I think it just more affected how I could throw it.”

Roethlisberger said the plan is “take it day-by-day” this week and will see what he’s able to do when the team returns to practice on Wednesday.

“I honestly don’t know,” Roethlisberger said. “I haven’t tried to throw a football since the game, and maybe that’s not even the right thing to do right away. I’ll see the doctors and trainers tomorrow, we’ll evaluate kind of how I feel. If anything, maybe I can practice and hand off and still get some mental reps that way. So we’ll really just kind of see how it goes tomorrow.”

Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said Monday that he expects Roethlisberger will play in Denver on Sunday. Roethlisberger’s history says that’s the best approach for Denver to take, although things could still play out differently in the next few days.

Permalink 153 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
153 Responses to “Roethlisberger has torn ligaments in addition to sprained AC joint”
  1. notmanning says: Jan 12, 2016 12:06 PM

This is too much information. Why would Big Ben offer this up? Smoke and Mirrors. He’s playing, and I bet he throws deep.

2. stealthjunk says: Jan 12, 2016 12:06 PM

That doesn’t sound like anything a few shots and painkillers couldn’t fix. Big Ben will play. All the “will he/won’t he” talk is just for entertainment purposes only.

3. magnumpimustache says: Jan 12, 2016 12:06 PM

Just think of all the camera time he will get grimacing in pain.

4. 700levelvet says: Jan 12, 2016 12:07 PM

And don’t forget the sand in his…….

5. edelmanfanclub says: Jan 12, 2016 12:08 PM

Despite cincys elimination, Burfict has put a mark on Pittsburgh for the rest of the postseason. Pitt is 7 point underdogs but Bens going to a have tough time pulling this off with a bum shoulder and no AB.

6. gregbrotz95 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:08 PM

He’ll play. But Von Miller and D. Ware are loving this news.

7. dolfinsneedsuh14 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:08 PM

Happens everytime we come here!

Are you alluding to… ?

I’m talking about tonight, happens everytime we come here!

Karma, Steeler fans funny how things have worked out for you

8. qbarrel says: Jan 12, 2016 12:09 PM

Can you imagine if this guy played for the Pats? Belichick would be having an aneurysm right now listening to him babble on about his injuries to the entire country. It’s almost as bad as Arian Foster posting a pic of his hamstring MRI.

9. dwarftosser says: Jan 12, 2016 12:09 PM

Can anyone play up an injury more than Big Ben? Is he tough? Sure he is, but he always loves letting people know he’s tough.

10. Steeley McBeam says: Jan 12, 2016 12:10 PM

Before calling him a drama queen ask yourself, would you play?

11. beattention says: Jan 12, 2016 12:10 PM

I want the Steelers to retire Manning for good.

12. drunkraider says: Jan 12, 2016 12:10 PM

He just needs to get his head right then he will be fine.

Few Vicodins, Few shots, go show little Ben off to some ladys in the bathroom.

game time !

13. dalvar1001 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:11 PM

Peyton Manning would be in Denver ICU

14. Kelly's Chronicles says: Jan 12, 2016 12:11 PM

Keep in mind this guy is a drama queen regarding injuries. Always over states. Above poster got it right. Camera time. I am sorry but Terry Bradshaw got it right about the character of this guy. He goes in the category of folks who ok you can be my QB but I would never invite him around my family for dinner.

15. dwoofer says: Jan 12, 2016 12:12 PM

Perhaps the Steelers could instead go with the “Bengals” plan. Send players and coaches on the field to agitate the other team and draw retaliation penalties — oh, this assumes, of course, that the referees again let the Steelers get away with it to where the Broncos are at the boiling point, so that they can blame the bad conduct on the Broncos.

16. keem513 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:13 PM

V Burf !!!!

17. arktikman says: Jan 12, 2016 12:13 PM

I just hope this is only being floated so that they can do a stop and go to AB for an opening play TD. Other than that, “Why?!?”

18. battmanri says: Jan 12, 2016 12:14 PM

Great job by Big Ben. Paint the picture of an inoperable shoulder and then go out there (perfectly fine by Sunday) and get the announcers to talk about “what a warrior he is” if he leads the Steelers to the win. If they lose? Built in “bad shoulder” excuse. You can fool some of em’ out there, big boy. But the rest of us are on to your “hero worship” bid. And we ain’t buyin’ it.

19. flash1287 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:14 PM

So again with Ben we will hear about the injuries all week but then he will play. DRAMA QUEEN

Why is it we never hear about so many injuries from other QB around the league. As soon as this guy gets a bruise it’s out. For someone who is supposed to be so “tough” he sure gets hurt a lot.

#DRAMAQUEEN

20. PATRIOTSDYNASTYLIVES says: Jan 12, 2016 12:14 PM

Hes playing …..he can say what he wants but if he played for Belichick he would never sing like a canary like this…..TMI

21. ohand16 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:15 PM

Bengals”win”

22. cdawg1969 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:16 PM

I sure hope he doesn’t re-injure his shoulder and have to be carted from the field again! Wow, what a tough guy!

23. willycents says: Jan 12, 2016 12:18 PM

Either Ben is smarter than everyone else by playing up his injuries to get competitive advantage by convincing the opponents to believe he is really injured, or he is a major drama queen.

I am going with the second. Reminds me of my 5 year old daughter and her oweeees and tears

24. dougchillin says: Jan 12, 2016 12:18 PM

Gotta love when Ben self diagnosed himself

25. peytonwantsaflag says: Jan 12, 2016 12:18 PM

I bet if you ask Ben could rate all the stadiums in the NFL by the sideline carts they use.

26. painkiller20 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:18 PM

Big deal. A cortisone shot and he won’t be able to tell. However, this is the great warrior roethlisberger, which means after every bad throw it bad play he will be reaching for his shoulder to display just how tough he is. The guy should be in Hollywood.

27. kremis says: Jan 12, 2016 12:19 PM

The Tebow curse!- yes, they finally won a playoff game many years after Tebow destroyed them in a playoff game, however, unless Dr. Rydze can get a work release from prison, or Ben is lying about the situation (has Ben ever lied about an important situation before?) it’s going to all come crashing down in Denver once again. The Tebow curse works in mysterious ways!

28. auburnfan2013 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:19 PM

When was the last time the steelers won in denver?

29. TeeHeeLOLatPatsHaters says: Jan 12, 2016 12:19 PM

“Look at me! Oh I’m definitely sore! I’m a tough guy and we tough guys play tough because we’re tough!” LOL. Ben being Ben.🙂

30. mmack66 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:20 PM

beattention says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:10 PM

I want the Steelers to retire Manning for good.
    ———————————

The Steelers certainly are dirty enough to try it.

31. TeeHeeLOLatPatsHaters says: Jan 12, 2016 12:20 PM

#DRAMAQUEEN

I wonder if he watches his own highlights to his injuries while playing the Chariots of Fire theme
    🙂

32. billswillnevermove says: Jan 12, 2016 12:21 PM

And I’ll tell you what……….he is one tough SOB!! I like Tyrod Taylor as my QB for the Bills, he had a nice year and things look good for him going forward, he was a surprise. But I can tell you one thing, there is no other QB that I would take over Big Ben….dude is tough, clutch. Go Steelers, glad we put them in the playoffs if my Bills can’t be there.

33. lilrob10201 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:21 PM

Ay he’s faking it.

34. weepingjebus says: Jan 12, 2016 12:23 PM

They should sign that Bengals fan that hit him with a bottle on the way off the field. That was like 30 yards into a drinking cup.

35. awdlmd says: Jan 12, 2016 12:23 PM

Burfict didn’t finish the job so Miller and Ware will have to do it.

36. jonwill57 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:24 PM

Wow…he had his arm re-attached and now he might play? This guy is really, really tough!

37. whodey83 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:25 PM

Dwoofer nailed it. Glad somebody else is privy to their bs. Comes from their head “coach”. Thinks he’s tough as nails. Beating his chest. “Tough” guy.

38. littlescuppernong says: Jan 12, 2016 12:26 PM

Amazing how all your armchair quarterbacks are now medical experts and what it takes to play through pain in the NFL. After all those early years with a bad O-line where Ben set records for the number of sacks he took, and still played and reached the playoffs. I would rather have this guy leading my team, being able to take hits like that and return, than your sorry QB who may be healthy and currently sitting on his couch right now.

39. mmack66 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:26 PM

flash1287 says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:14 PM

Why is it we never hear about so many injuries from other QB around the league.
    ———————-

Because most other quarterbacks don’t get injured or sit out injured as much as Fragile Ben does.

That, and when other quarterbacks get injured, they are actually injured.

40. bksk07 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:26 PM

If he’s torn ligaments he can’t throw the ball. So that day to day report is misinformation or the torn ligaments are.

41. whywerule says: Jan 12, 2016 12:26 PM

flash1287 says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:14 PM
    ****
    Why is it we never hear about so many injuries from other QBs around the league….

Because unlike Roethlisberger, other QBs in the league are actually tough and do not feel a need or desire to announce every genuine or fabricated injury to the press.

42. sincewinningsuperbowlravenshavebeen3rdinafcnorth says: Jan 12, 2016 12:26 PM

#billsnevermore… Thanks from all of Steelers nation to buffalo! and maybe someday we can repay the favor!

43. TeeHeeLOLatPatsHaters says: Jan 12, 2016 12:27 PM

When was the last time the steelers won in denver?

2005 and they won* the Super Bowl

*paid off the refs to beat SEA and Dr Rydze was on their payroll anyway so it doesn’t count as a legit win

44. paulieorkid says: Jan 12, 2016 12:27 PM

Last time the Steelers won in Denver was in the latter half of the 2015 season.

45. littlescuppernong says: Jan 12, 2016 12:27 PM

If the 2004 NFL draft were redone knowing what we know now, Ben would be the #1 pick, no question.

46. billswillnevermove says: Jan 12, 2016 12:28 PM

He’s much tougher than that pansy, cheating, pretty boy from New England.

47. floratiotime says: Jan 12, 2016 12:28 PM

The hardest working man in show business.

48. TeeHeeLOLatPatsHaters says: Jan 12, 2016 12:29 PM

🙂

#embarrassing
    #YeahRealToughLOL

49. steeltroll says: Jan 12, 2016 12:30 PM

Just remember kids, a tear in a ligament is also known as a sprain. So it’s unclear this is new information. Question is: how big is the tear?

50. steelcurtainn says: Jan 12, 2016 12:30 PM

Its time to see Mr. Miyagi Big Ben!!! Glad the steelers are still playing while the rest of the afc north is now sitting at home. I expect them to finish the next task by winning in Denver while watching manning throw ducks in the cold.

51. steeltroll says: Jan 12, 2016 12:32 PM

“billswillnevermove says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:28 PM
    He’s much tougher than that pansy, cheating, pretty boy from New England.”

In Brady’s defense, Brady generally gets rid of the ball instead of taking a dumb, drive ending or season derailing sack.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Ben, but it would be nice to see him know when to fold ’em once in a while.

52. camdenyard says: Jan 12, 2016 12:33 PM

Ben is like Tokyo Rose. I don’t believe anything he says. We’ve all seen this movie before. Only when he shows up on the sideline in street clothes would I be sure he’s not playing. Kubiak is doing the right thing.

53. thenameisredskins says: Jan 12, 2016 12:33 PM

Lets see how serious Roger Goodell is about teams messing with the injury policy. So far, Tomlin has said that A. Brown suffered a concussion and not Ben is saying he tore ligaments in his shoulder. If either player plays or practices this week, I would have to assume that the league will investigate the Steelers? Oh wait, they aren’t the Patriots. It is obviously just mixed communication. And they aren’t the Cowboys or Redskins, following written rules. They won’t even be looked at.

54. flash1287 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:35 PM

billswillnevermove says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:28 PM
    He’s much tougher than that pansy, cheating, pretty boy from New England.

—-

You mean that guy that OWNS your sorry a$$ Bills?

55. billswillnevermove says: Jan 12, 2016 12:36 PM

sincewinningsuperbowlravenshavebeen3rdinafcnorth says:Jan 12, 2016 12:26 PM

_________________________________
    Your welcome, maybe one day we won’t need the help, but I might be dead before that happens LOL. Good luck against Denver. Pulling for the Steelers in the AFC.

56. nhpats says: Jan 12, 2016 12:36 PM

TeeHeeLOLatPatsHaters says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:29 PM
    Remember when Coach Cowher called Ben out for lying about broken toes after his team got stomped by the Patriots in the 2004 AFCCG?🙂

#embarrassing
    #YeahRealToughLOL

————————

Yeah, remember the time Ben and the Steelers beat the Patriots in the playoffs? No? Neither does anyone else.

57. Deb says: Jan 12, 2016 12:37 PM

Well, I’ve seen Ben play with ridiculous injuries. And I’ve seen Ben make ridiculous statements.

So does he have a ridiculous injury or is he making ridiculous statements?

Tune in Sunday.

58. nhpats says: Jan 12, 2016 12:38 PM

billswillnevermove says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:28 PM
    He’s much tougher than that pansy, cheating, pretty boy from New England.

—————–

LOL!! Shouldn’t you be preparing for the Bills annual August SB victory party ?

59. rogerrodgers says: Jan 12, 2016 12:38 PM

Pacman probably thinks Ben flopped this one

60. gomez163 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:38 PM

ben Ben doesn’t have torn ligaments. he likes to exaggerate.

61. tattooit says: Jan 12, 2016 12:38 PM

He’s playing. He just wants a built in story for either outcome.

Win = Gritty & Heroic

Loss = Gritty but just too injured to win

62. crindal3000 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:38 PM

i’ll have what he had

63. badmude says: Jan 12, 2016 12:39 PM

Even with Ben’s arm torn up, he’ll still be able to throw better and farther than the noodle armed Manning. Then again so can my Grandmother.

64. GO FOR TWO SPORTS says: Jan 12, 2016 12:39 PM

I don’t get some of these teams. They are in the playoffs, they only have 3 games to win to get to the superbowl. I would be doing everything I could to go get a QB if I did not have one. Raiders have Matt McGloin as a backup who is going to be a free agent in the offseason but If I was the Texans (too late now) or Steelers or Denver or any team that had a terrible QB I wold of called The Raiders and offered a 5th round pick for McGloin. Who cares about a 5gth rounder, I would give a 5th round pick if I knew I could go to the superbowl.. If Texans would of done this maybe 3 weeks ago they would of beat The Chiefs. The Steelers should do this RIGHT NOW since their backup is garbage and won’t win with that guy… McGloin knows how to make the tough throws and also knows how to be a great game manager. He could easily be a starter. Also what is the status of Bruce Gradkowski? He hurt his finger in preseason it’s probably healed by now. Gradkowski could EASILY lead Steelers to a superbowl. In fact Gradkowski has the ability to use his legs which is Denver defense is not good against… These teams are so concerned about the future but if I owned a team and I was already this far in the playoffs I would make crazy moves to win a superbowl. Who cares about late round picks! Go get a QB cause if you don’t have a good QB you won’t go far

65. TeeHeeLOLatPatsHaters says: Jan 12, 2016 12:39 PM

I bet Ben will bring his cell phone to the sidelines again so he can hit refresh again and again to get an update if his name is in the Academy Award nominations this year.
    🙂

66. auburnfan2013 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:42 PM

paulieorkid says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:27 PM
    Last time the Steelers won in Denver was in the latter half of the 2015 season.

———

Huh? I must have missed a game

67. TeeHeeLOLatPatsHaters says: Jan 12, 2016 12:43 PM

weepingjebus says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:38 PM

Actually Brady once played an entire season with broken ribs and a broken index finger on his throwing hand, and didn’t say boo. So naturally people claim he’s soft precisely because he doesn’t talk about it constantly. Anyway, the only time Ben gets genuinely hurt is when he mixes it up with a grandmother and her Chrysler.

“Who is the toughest player I ever played against? Brady. We kept hitting him harder and harder and I couldn’t believe he kept getting up.”
    — Justin Tuck to Dan Patrick

“I respect Brady because he takes his hits like a man, pats you on the back and congratulates you for a good hit”
    — Michael Bennett

I’ll just let those two quotes from two guys who actually beat the tar out of the GOAT on the field speak for themselves.
    🙂

68. sudz28 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:44 PM

Toughest SOB in all of football, and has been for a decade. Things that would knock most QB’s out for the season cause him to miss a play or two.

69. number1hawkfan says: Jan 12, 2016 12:46 PM

The Ben who cried wolf. This guy wants us all to believe he’s the toughest QB ever. It wears thin trust me. I’m an idiot and fell off a ladder at work and my body is in constant pain. One thing I’ve learned is to keep it to myself. My wife and kids are awesome but no one wants to hear complaining all the time. Just like no one wants to see Big Ben limping around in between every play acting like he can’t move and then once the balls snapped he’s fine. One of the most annoying players in the NFL.

70. uwssteel says: Jan 12, 2016 12:46 PM

Folks by definition a sprain is a tearing of ligaments. When you sprain an ankle you tear the ligaments to some degree. It’s a matter of degrees, but this is where being uninformed makes a story out of nothing. There is no new news here. The minute you separate a shoulder you have torn the ligaments to some degree. Doesn’t change prognosis compared to if he just said “sprained AC.joint”

71. justthefaxmaamblog says: Jan 12, 2016 12:46 PM

Both the “injured” parties – Roethlisberger and Brown – will make miraculous recoveries and be ready to play on Sunday. I believe the Steelers were fined for a “alleged” cramp in a game in Cincinnati in 2013. Wonder if Goodell will look into their antics?

72. willycents says: Jan 12, 2016 12:47 PM

paulieorkid says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:27 PM

Last time the Steelers won in Denver was in the latter half of the 2015 season.
    _________________________________
    A real football fan knows that the Broncos played the Steelers in Pittsburgh this year. Google or NFL.com is your friend sir.

73. rutherforddabrave says: Jan 12, 2016 12:47 PM

I would feel bad for the steelers if they didn’t give a game ball to Joey Porter. No class

74. headin4seven says: Jan 12, 2016 12:47 PM

He’ll play hurt. Even at 50% he’s better then most starting QB’s.

75. billswillnevermove says: Jan 12, 2016 12:49 PM

Yep, but let’s remember Brady does get rid of the ball quicker than Ben, that is true……..but doesn’t matter anyways, if you lay a hand on pretty boy, it’s a 100 yard penalty and suspension for the whole season. Dude cries every time he gets sacked, first thing he does when he gets up, he is looking around for the Refs and crying and whinning.

76. immafubared says: Jan 12, 2016 12:52 PM

They will just have to win with what they have. give the back up guy an easy set of downs that Denver will learn by the end of the first quarter and then its lights out.

77. TeeHeeLOLatPatsHaters says: Jan 12, 2016 12:53 PM

And yet it’s funny how real NFL players like Justin Tuck and Michael Bennett and a few others have a very different opinion about the GOAT than you do.
    🙂

78. arwiv says: Jan 12, 2016 12:54 PM

Burfict is NFL public enemy #1 in most of the country right now….in Denver though he could probably run for mayor and win.

79. getsomefocus2015 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:55 PM

This guy is one of the biggest drama queens in the game. He always has these mysterious injuries and then comes back in to be the big hero. He must have had a real crush on Rocky. He will play Sunday and if the game goes poorly or he plays poorly he will blame it on the injury. If he does well or they win he will talk about how he had to play through pain. What a faker

80. truetrue85 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:56 PM

Welp, this combined with the Antonio Brown news really looks like a nice gimme win for Peyton and the Broncos. Looks like his retirement is gonna have to wait at least another week.

81. billymutt says: Jan 12, 2016 12:56 PM

Not a fan of either Pittsburgh or Denver, but I do hope the Steelers win this weekend.

That said, has there ever been a bigger baby in the NFL when it comes to being injured? Stop trying to portray yourself as a tragic hero tough guy Ben, you’re making a fool of yourself. Plenty of players deal with far worse injuries and don’t go blabbering on and on about it.

82. substop2000 says: Jan 12, 2016 12:57 PM

let’s go big ben and mighty steelers and get another superbowl trophy!

83. qbarrel says: Jan 12, 2016 1:00 PM

cdawg1969 says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:16 PM

———————–

Yeah, what’s up with that anyway? And why does Ben have such a reputation of being tough, while some people think Brady’s a wuss? Ben was carted off the field for a shoulder injury – Brady walked to the locker room (which happened to be down a flight of stairs) after getting his knee shredded. Just saying.

84. draculalambert says: Jan 12, 2016 1:03 PM

Ben is as tough as they come but the above photo makes him look wimpy…and scared.

85. dexx57 says: Jan 12, 2016 1:05 PM

Will he show up to the game in a full body cast as Nantz and Simms fawn over him? Hopefully Broncos D has historic day against fatso Ben, the most overrated player in the NFL

86. istateyourname says: Jan 12, 2016 1:11 PM

Welp, time to call it a career, what a shame and at the hands (or knee) of a Bengal even…

87. rollotomasi14 says: Jan 12, 2016 1:12 PM

draculalambert says:
    Jan 12, 2016 1:03 PM

——————–
    He’s hurt all the time.

88. rollotomasi14 says: Jan 12, 2016 1:13 PM

Well Denver’s game to the AFCCG just got easier.

89. steelpenguin6687 says: Jan 12, 2016 1:13 PM

All you green eyed people can say what you want about BB…At least he doesn’t come up with moronic excuses when the Steelers lose games, like:

Bengals QB AJ McCarron after loss to Steelers: “It seems every time we got the ball it was pouring rain and it wasn’t when they had it.”

#CRYBABY

90. boomgrounder says: Jan 12, 2016 1:14 PM

I don’t believe a word Big Been says. The guy is a lying, attention seeking Drama Queen! I don’t even think his shoulder is injured. He faked the injury because he likes to ride in golf carts!

91. Remember when PFT was about football? Now its just a bunch of whiney losers who cry about the Patriots says: Jan 12, 2016 1:18 PM

Nothing says “bring out the cart” like a shoulder injury…

92. pmars64 says: Jan 12, 2016 1:28 PM

Wasn’t this the guy who claimed he played with broken ribs after beating the Cardinals in the SB, only to have the Steelers issue a statement afterwards saying that Ben didn’t really mean what he said? All because Holmes won MVP?

93. spoiledsport99 says: Jan 12, 2016 1:36 PM

Big Ben brushes off injuries like he does rape investigations. What a tough guy.

94. broncosfanatic277 says: Jan 12, 2016 1:38 PM

Big Ben is playing. He’s trying to use Jedi mind tricks on everyone. It’s not working. You’re playing and you know it fella.

If AB plays, then the NFL’s concussion protocol is an absolute joke.

95. openyoureyes12 says: Jan 12, 2016 1:39 PM

Here it is, another week with another story about how bad Ben is hurt… Seems like this is a weekly thing now. I believe he and/or the organization play up his injury for hype purposes, or to try and redeem his character from years ago. It’s something, because this has become predictable, whether he’s truly hurt or not, it’s always speculation and it always comes out at the beginning of the week for people to chew on and then he ends up playing without any issue.

96. radrntn says: Jan 12, 2016 1:39 PM

blah, blah, blah, drama queen….yet he will still play, as I am willing to wager Antonio Brown will as well.

97. Kaz says: Jan 12, 2016 1:40 PM

Big Ben is full of it. As is the whole Steeler organization. There fans got some nerve calling the Pats cheaters. At least the Pats don’t send their coaches out on the field to draw penalties or pull players hair. Or try to trip folks to save the game.

98. johngaltx says: Jan 12, 2016 1:41 PM

Face it, Big Ben is tougher than your favorite QB and he is wayyyyy tougher than the typical beer swilling football fan. If that would have been a baseball pitcher they would have stopped the game and called for a med-a-vac. The pitcher would have went on the 60 day disabled list and spent the summer in Florida “rehabbing” his sore shoulder until the middle of the next season.

99. ninkanpoopblog says: Jan 12, 2016 1:42 PM

Listen to yourself you sniviling little creeps most of you never got beyond back yard football and you question his toughness ask his teammates you should sweeten up a bit have mommy put some more jam on your sammy

100. lanman11 says: Jan 12, 2016 1:43 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…..

NOBODY does the James Brown “Cape Routine” like Ben Roethlisberger….

“Please, Please, Please”

101. glac1 says: Jan 12, 2016 1:44 PM

on our part of the world we say “he’s toast”….

102. noteamforlosangeles says: Jan 12, 2016 1:47 PM

Broncos
    Please Sign Tim Tebow as a lucky charm

Thanks,
    Steelers non-fans everywhere,

103. jmd0722 says: Jan 12, 2016 1:48 PM

Not a steeler fan, but unfortunate injury to Big Ben, he is having a terrific season.

104. broncomountain says: Jan 12, 2016 1:50 PM

Can the Steel’ers ever win without help?
    1) Porter on the field, The entire NFL world including Article I, section 8 seems to think this should have been 15 yards
    2) Porter/Jones – Many fans, think these penalties should have been offset to equal a 50 yard field goal, NO!!!, it’s worse, Jones flag would have not taken place if Porter gets flagged, it should have been Burfict/Porter offsetting resulting in a 65 yard NFL record attempting field goal
    5) If Burfict was treated like Shazier, only Porter get’s flagged backing up to a whopping 80 yard attempt, and in turn a HAIL MARY, which was gifted into a chip shot.
    6) The immaculate reception hit the ground
    I leave you with The Great words of Mike Holmgren after Super Bowl XL
    “I didn’t know we were going to have to play the guys in the striped shirts as well.”

105. zampft says: Jan 12, 2016 1:59 PM

He may rape ya but he’ll never lie to ya…

106. 1969mojo says: Jan 12, 2016 2:00 PM

Only dianabol took out more Steelers than Burfict.

107. citizenstrange says: Jan 12, 2016 2:04 PM

Landry Jones can get the win if:

1) The Steeler defense can hold the Broncos to 16 points or less.

2) The Steeler defense can hand him 4 turnovers.

Really, any quarterback should be able to win that game and it shouldn’t even be that close.

108. steelpenguin6687 says: Jan 12, 2016 2:14 PM

I have never seen, in my entire life, this may whiners, complainers, what ifers, and all around crybabies in one spot…PFT draws them like moths to a flame.

If my team loses, I blame it on the fact that they played like crap, or, they just flat out lost the game…Do I like it? No, but I don’t come on here blaming the refs, or it’s fixed, blah, blah, blah…You can take any game, and spin calls and non calls to your favor…I can, just off the top of my head, come up with three that should have been called on the Bengals, but were not…2 15s and 1 PI.

#QUITWHINING

109. -Alpha- says: Jan 12, 2016 2:16 PM

Your arm’s off!

No it isn’t….it’s only a flesh wound.

110. mountaingirl39 says: Jan 12, 2016 2:18 PM

Hoping the Steelers get TEBOWED again in Denver….

111. billytodd2013blbaad says: Jan 12, 2016 2:21 PM

well with an injured Ben and Manning playing we won’t see a pass longer than 5 yards LOL

112. ikeclanton says: Jan 12, 2016 2:21 PM

No one is saying the guy can’t take a lot of punishment and still play–he clearly can.

My only issue is the full reveal of everything that’s going on with his shoulder. No need to give the Broncos anything they can use or plan for.

113. Spazz says: Jan 12, 2016 2:26 PM

“What an embarrassment of an organization and shame on the league for letting them get away with it as repeat offenders. No integrity.”

lol. RAAAAAAAAGE

114. mmmpierogi says: Jan 12, 2016 2:26 PM

battmanri says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:14 PM

****************************************************************************************

If/when we receive word that he winds up having to get shoulder surgery in the off-season, I guess we’ll know. Torn ligaments in a throwing arm don’t sound like something that a little PT and stim will just make go away.

115. relggigeht says: Jan 12, 2016 2:26 PM

“Well I thought it was an embarrassment, and I said so right after the game,” Esiason said. “And I held Marvin Lewis accountable, their head coach, who is now 0-7 in playoff games.”

– Boomer Esiason

116. bengals4lifer says: Jan 12, 2016 2:29 PM

Pitt is physically, mentally and emotionally limping into Denver.

Denver is rested and healthy, will take this one easy.

117. whocares69 says: Jan 12, 2016 2:30 PM

broncomountain says:
    Jan 12, 2016 1:50 PM
    Can the Steel’ers ever win without help?

—-

Nope they can’t. John Parry is the worst Ref in the league, he almost makes me want Mike Carey back.

Of course nobody is talking about that, they’re all talking about the “BIG” hit against a receiver.. and no, I’m not talking about the BRUTAL hit again Gio Bernard

118. senatorblutarsky says: Jan 12, 2016 2:31 PM

Time to lose some weight and move from obese to merely overweight.

119. relggigeht says: Jan 12, 2016 2:43 PM

“Pitt is physically, mentally and emotionally limping into Denver.

Denver is rested and healthy, will take this one easy.”

Never, never, under any circumstances, underestimate your opponent.

120. piratefreedom says: Jan 12, 2016 3:02 PM

Other sports have winners, football has survivors

121. jm91rs says: Jan 12, 2016 3:04 PM

He’s tough as nails, but I give him less credit for it since he’s always reminding us he’s tough as nails. “I have a splinter so I’m pretty close to death right now. I’ll see what I can do” then he comes in and plays, reminding you how painful it was for him to do so.

122. woodbridgekid73 says: Jan 12, 2016 3:25 PM

The Broncos should sign Tebow just for this game. I would laugh my ass off.

123. dexx57 says: Jan 12, 2016 3:29 PM

When the bengals fans threw stuff on fatso Ben, Nantz and Simms acted like they throwing things at the Pope, and it was terrible how nantz and Simms were fawning over fatso Ben all game.

And Ben is always called a tough guy but he misses several games a year, how many games do Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton etc miss? Fatso Ben misses more games than any other qb, he is the least tough qb and a drama queen.

124. spartan01 says: Jan 12, 2016 3:31 PM

You don’t hear Rivers, Palmer, Brees, Luck, Brady, Rodgers, Stafford, Romo, etc. going on and on about their injuries and with such detail to tell us when it hurts the most. What a drama queen.

125. notmanning says: Jan 12, 2016 3:33 PM

I remember when Pitt came in to Indy as 9.5pt dogs (in 2005). San Diego came in as a heavy dog too…and the Colts got beat. It’s the playoffs. Focus, play hard, beat your man, win the game. If you don’t show up, or take a team lightly, you’re done. Just ask Denver. Colts went in there and kicked them to the curb last year.

126. thegenghiskahn88 says: Jan 12, 2016 3:39 PM

Yeah, See you this weekend Benjamin. 😏

127. paulrevereshorse1775 says: Jan 12, 2016 3:44 PM

it all makes sense now….when Ben was hurt and on the sideline earlier in the season, he was watching videos of himself on that 4G smart wristband

128. BigGuyForYou says: Jan 12, 2016 3:46 PM

I can’t wait for this criminal to retire

129. rob471773 says: Jan 12, 2016 3:47 PM

DRAMA QUEEN!

Here’s how this plays out, Ben can’t throw all week and is a very doubtful game time decision. Pittsburgh rolls out Landry Jones for a series and then heroically, Big Ben feels better and enters the game while Jim Nantz shoots goo.

130. rob471773 says: Jan 12, 2016 3:48 PM

it’s no surprise why this Ogre is hurt all the time, he’s a slob out of shape QB who holds onto to the ball for 7-8 seconds at a time and is way too proud to make the smart decision and just throw the ball away.

131. ybthatway says: Jan 12, 2016 3:51 PM

—————————-

Glad you could stop by Ben……..,.

132. mborz says: Jan 12, 2016 4:28 PM

peytonwantsaflag says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:18 PM

——————-

Steelers fan here who had to upvote this one. Nicely done.

133. Treat manning like Brady says: Jan 12, 2016 4:36 PM

sudz28 says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:44 PM

You have it backwards, Ben sits out from hits that Brady walks away from. 2008 aside, when was the last time Brady was not on the field due to injury?

134. Treat manning like Brady says: Jan 12, 2016 4:56 PM

A real tough guy takes your best hit and jumps up, runs 15 yards and turns around to see Kam Chancellor on the ground counting tweety birds.

135. Treat manning like Brady says: Jan 12, 2016 4:59 PM

paulrevereshorse1775 says:
    Jan 12, 2016 3:44 PM

remember when his peeps were insisting it was a wristband, until they googled what a NFL wristband looks like? Or when they saw what he was actually wearing on the field, that looked NOTHING like the “wristband” he shoved in his pocket when he realized he was on camera?

Must be the same folks who were sure the Pats would fumble more or throw more picks.

136. lackofabetter says: Jan 12, 2016 5:10 PM

Damn, I didn’t think Bengals fans could every cry as much as Seahawks fans in ’05 but you’ve done it. Congratulations.

It is quite a feat.

137. mrloser444 says: Jan 12, 2016 5:15 PM

TeeHeeLOLatPatsHaters says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:27 PM
    When was the last time the steelers won in denver?

2005 and they won* the Super Bowl

————————————————–
    Uh, No! It was a 2009 regular season game. They beat Denver 28-10. In 2006, they also beat Denver in Denver 34-17 for the AFCCG. Stick to your own team, but then again that’s Pmen fans for you!

138. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 12, 2016 5:24 PM

Ah the little Pats brats are out for a troll, Cute little kids aren’t they, they make our win more enjoyable

139. stainlesssteeler says: Jan 12, 2016 5:24 PM

No one should question Ben’s toughness, and he does not need to answer to any of the sniveling whiners posting here due to their own jealousy issues because their teams have babies as their starting QB.

The man plays hurt and he is tough as nails, and at 50% capacity he is still better than 25 of the leagues other starting QB’s. The hits he has taken over the years are well documented and would have knocked out any other QB, and that is a fact. So enough of the whining, deal with reality.

Ben is a winner, always has been, plays through pain and does his job. Best Steelers QB ever, doesn’t need to live in anyone’s shadow. At the end of the day I can think of 25 teams that would love to have him, even the snivelers who question his toughness or genuineness would like having a winner like Ben on their team, go ahead, admit it, you know you would!

140. armoderate says: Jan 12, 2016 5:25 PM

Sorry big Ben, nobody’s believing your injury proclamation. Same with “gimme an Oscar Brown”.

141. hthejp says: Jan 12, 2016 5:30 PM

dwoofer says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:12 PM

whodey83 says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:25 PM

———-

Oh Boo Hoo – The mean and nasty Steelers came out and said mean and nasty things to us, we lost our cool, so therefore it’s the Steelers’ fault we lost the game.

Do you even realize how ridiculous that sounds?

142. mmack66 says: Jan 12, 2016 5:34 PM

Treat manning like Brady says:
    Jan 12, 2016 4:36 PM

sudz28 says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:44 PM

————————–

Exactly, and according to all of the hater bozos, Brady is hit all the time.

143. chesswhileyouplaycheckers says: Jan 12, 2016 6:18 PM

billswillnevermove says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:28 PM
    He’s much tougher than that pansy, cheating, pretty boy from New England.
    ——————————

2 back to back 110+ game start streaks sandwiched around the blown out knee ’08 season would seem to contradict that. How’s that “absolutely false” Rob Ryan to Buffalo thing working out?

++++++++
    GO FOR TWO SPORTS says:
    Jan 12, 2016 12:39 PM

I don’t get some of these teams. They are in the playoffs, they only have 3 games to win to get to the superbowl. I would be doing everything I could to go get a QB if I did not have one….If Texans would of done this maybe 3 weeks ago they would of beat The Chiefs. The Steelers should do this RIGHT NOW since their backup is garbage and won’t win with that guy… These teams are so concerned about the future but if I owned a team and I was already this far in the playoffs I would make crazy moves to win a superbowl.
    ———————————-

GO FOR TWO if you owned a team you might be familiar with these two words, TRADE DEADLINE.
    Keep looking for those Zolak jerseys

144. mmack66 says: Jan 12, 2016 6:26 PM

stainlesssteeler says:
    Jan 12, 2016 5:24 PM

No one should question Ben’s toughness…
    —————————

Nobody does, because outside of Pittsburgh, everyone knows that he is fragile.

Tough quarterbacks, as a rule, aren’t out injured all of the time.

Quarterbacks like Favre, Colts Manning, Brady, and Rivers are quarterbacks that are tough. They have multiple season consecutive starts.

Has Fragile Ben ever even made it through one season without being sidelined due to injury?

145. Conservatarian TX says: Jan 12, 2016 6:57 PM

dexx57 says:
    Jan 12, 2016 3:29 PM

————————————

Don’t forget Flacco. That guys takes as many big hits as Big Jen, but just gets up and keeps going (many times with injuries – see the ’09-’10 playoffs) without saying a word. Didn’t miss a game for 7+ years until he tore his ACL and MCL…and still finished the game under center.

146. Florio is Rooneys Lovechild says: Jan 12, 2016 7:50 PM

I hope he gets beat about the head and shoulders with his own severed arm, but then probably he’d claim that arm threw a pass with without his body attached. Steely McDramaBeam!

147. bengals4lifer says: Jan 12, 2016 8:38 PM

Denver is already talking about getting even with the Steelers for the Cody Wallace cheap shot.

“It’s always us and somebody,” Tomlin said. “We seem to attract that type of atmosphere. Maybe it’s us.”

Well said Tomlin. Touche.

Can’t wait to hear all the Steelers fans complain about the loss and how they would have won if they had a healthy team.

What comes around …

148. steelerfan587543 says: Jan 12, 2016 8:52 PM

Between Ben and Antonio Brown it seems Pittsburgh is finished this year. Looks like the Bengals still managed to find a way to beat the Steelers.

149. artworkworld says: Jan 12, 2016 9:30 PM

I won’t guess about whether this is strategy or being overly forthcoming. I will say that if his were Brady, he would be listed on the injury list as Brady/Shoulder. In interviews he would say that it is day to day & this time of year everyone has something. No need to feed the beast. Just keep your head down & get ready to play.

150. mmmpierogi says: Jan 12, 2016 9:33 PM

mmack66 says:
    Jan 12, 2016 6:26 PM

Below are career numbers on sacks/game and sacks/season. Seasons are years with more than 2 games played — Favre, Brady, and Rivers each had seasons where they played 2 games before becoming starters, so I didn’t count these. I focus more on sacks/game, anyhow. Stats from nfl.com.

Favre: 525 total sacks. Sacks/game=1.74. Sacks/yr=26.25
    Manning: 303 total sacks. Sacks/game=1.14. Sacks/yr=17.82
    Rivers: 326 total sacks. Sacks/game=1.99. Sacks/yr=32.60
    Brady: 402 total sacks. Sacks/game=1.79. Sacks/yr=28.71

Roethlisberger: 439 total sacks. Sacks/game=2.57. Sacks/yr=36.58

Ben’s per-game sack rate is way higher than the others. He takes on twice as many sacks/game as Manning, and 0.60-0.83 more sacks/game than Favre, Rivers, and Brady. Two reasons: (1) Ben plays differently from the other four in a manner that causes him to get hit more, and (2) he’s had some fairly poor offensive lines in the past. If you count number of hits that don’t include sacks (e.g., being hit after throwing), I’d put money down that Ben has as many or more than the others.

Bottom line: more hits == more injuries, particularly when they’re within a condensed timeframe (e.g., 50 sacks in one season is different from 25 sacks in two seasons). Say what you want about him being a drama queen, but given the rate at which he gets hit, it’s not surprising that he misses more games.

151. bengals4lifer says: Jan 12, 2016 9:37 PM

Unfortunately, this is the trend between these two teams. It goes all the way back to kimo von oelhoffen taking out carson palmer’s knee in ’05 wild card gm. It resurfaced in ’13 with the kevin huber broken jaw, last year with the aj green concussion, leveon bell knee, heath miller knee. This yr it was leveon again, tyler eifert concussion, ben’s shoulder/ac joint, AB concussion, gio benard concussion. i’m sure i’m leaving someone off, but it’s ridiculous. it’s just in the last few years the bengals have someone like burfict who pushes back.

other highlights include joey porter, mike munchak pulling hair and vince williams threat to Burfict on twitter that he was going to kill him on south beach.

152. patfan12 says: Jan 12, 2016 10:36 PM

yeah right. Benny boy has a habit of exaggerating his injuries.

153. mmmpierogi says: Jan 13, 2016 11:53 AM

bengals4lifer says:
    Jan 12, 2016 9:37 PM

If the von Oelhoffen thing is connected to the other events, it’s because the Bengals (Willie Anderson aside) and their fans won’t let it go.

Von Oelhoffen was extremely contrite and guilt-filled over what happened. He had no history of displaying intent to injure or being dirty, including during the half-career that he spent with the Bengals.