Everson Griffen to Pro Bowl with J.J. Watt recovering from surgery

Getty Images

Texans defensive end J.J. Watt was selected to the Pro Bowl for the fourth time after another stellar season in Houston, but the game will have to go on without him.

Watt had groin surgery this week and the rehab from the procedure doesn’t involve playing in an exhibition game. That only left the question of who would be taking his spot in Hawaii.

Alex Marvez of FOX Sports reports that it will be Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen. Griffen is coming off a season that saw him record 10.5 sacks in 15 games, including a pair in the Week 17 win over the Packers that made the Vikings the NFC North champions. He forced an Aaron Rodgers fumble that cornerback Captain Munnerlyn returned for a touchdown on one of the sacks. Griffen also had a sack in last Sunday’s playoff loss to the Seahawks.

It’s the first time that Griffen has been selected to the Pro Bowl. Running back Adrian Peterson is the only other Vikings player currently on the roster for the game.

48 responses to “Everson Griffen to Pro Bowl with J.J. Watt recovering from surgery

1. Griffen is a good replacement player. Peterson has no business being there. Can only run out of certain formations, can’t block & always turns the ball over in critical games. Ohh wait, but he said he’s gonna focus on that stuff this off season so I guess yeah, send him to Hawaii.

2. Good for him. I’d just as soon he go ahead and get the shoulder surgery he needs and start his rehab, but really, who the hell cares what I think?

3. Not bad for probably the fourth best player on that defense. Considering the frequency with which Pro Bowlers drop out of the game, I’d guess the other three (Joseph, Barr, Smith) will make the roster, too.

4. deltaoracle says:
    Jan 14, 2016 4:55 PM

For the Vikings, the whole always seems to be less than the sum of the parts.
    ________

Really? An 11-5 record and division championship with only two Pro Bowlers? Seems like the whole is doing just fine to me.

5. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Jan 14, 2016 4:44 PM
    Isn’t he the guy Packer fans ridiculed because they thought the contract he got two years ago was too big? Looks like a bargain now.
    _________

I think the one GB fans were caught off guard by was the Robison contract… at least that’s the one I remember feeling was a bad choice by Min.

This guy has bren showing improvement in sacks and has appeared to keep his nose nose clean after some off field issues early in his career. Reguardless making pro bowls doesn’t prove much now days between injuries and the SB players not being in it. It’s more watered down than EVER

I am sure fans gave Vikings grief about his contract as well, but I feel Robison is the one that was much more ridiculed.

6. His first step is the quickest I’ve seen in a long time. I had no idea how good he is until I saw him play a few times this year. Dude is a keeper.

7. wafflestomp says:
    Mar 9, 2014 5:39 PM

Hilarious…..please keep signing members of that horrible defense. 31st ranked, I believe.

And the truly funny part are the Viking fans slapping each other on the back because of it.

8. iman62 says:
    Jan 14, 2016 5:01 PM

Wonder if he can kick field goals?

==================================

To borrow a movie quote: “Laugh it up, fuzzball!”

9. That’s awesome that the Vikings have received such a lovely consolation prize. Tell you what, while your at it, the Vikings can replace-sort of-the Packers 3 PB picks also, as the Packers will be occupied playing a game in Santa Clara the following Sunday.

OK, maybe I don’t really believe that, but doesn’t it just really irk you Vikes fans that that’s still a possibility for the Pack but not the Vikes? Ouch.

10. I think tiny teddy bustwater still has nightmares from the beating he took in Griifen’s hotel room!

11. ariani1985 says:
    Jan 14, 2016 4:45 PM

I think erin Rogers still has nightmares from the beating he took!
    ==================================
    I think Vikings’ fans are still having nightmares from Blair Walsh’s missed field goal.

Also, fix your horn.

12. ariani1985 says:
    Jan 14, 2016 4:45 PM
    I think erin Rogers still has nightmares from the beating he took!

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

I think he’s sleeping just fine, prepping for a 2ND playoff game this season.

13. Why can’t we have a good defense? Maybe more ‘advice’ from Mike Neal would help us out of second place.

14. Good grief. Absolutely astounded at the Green Bay trolls.
    Aaron Rodgers back is never going to hold out. I have never in my life seen a single man in the NFL actually carry a team, coaching staff, fan base, PTF troll base all on his back while trying to also pass a football under major pressure.
    NFL MVP and there is no doubt. Green Bay Rodgers are the champions of the NFL hands down.

15. Congrats, Everson! Still think you should’ve been in the ProBowl to begin with along with many other Vikings, but you know how that goes…. I refuse to reply to the drivel written in these comments today, as I’ve moved on from the loss, and am looking forward to next season already!! Have a great time in Hawaii! Enjoy yourself, you really deserve it!! Please get that shoulder taken care of as soon as you can! No one should have to be in pain all the time. Take care and be well. Enjoy your off-season.

16. ariani1985 says:
    Jan 14, 2016 7:11 PM

Let’s also not forget that nobody has lost more playoff games than little erin Rogers!
    You packer trolls want another history lesson!
    =================================
    Peyton Manning has the most playoff losses with 13. Tom Brady has more playoff losses than Rodgers with 8, but he also has the most playoff wins with 21.

Most of the better QB’s have the most playoff losses, since they seem to get in the playoffs more often. The Top 5 with losses are Manning, Favre, Marino, Brady, and Kelly. Pretty good group there.

For comparison’s sake, there is not a single Vikings’ QB that has a better playoff winning percentage than Aaron Rodgers (.583), even if they’ve only played 1 or 2 games. Fran Tarkenton is the closest at .545.

Rodgers is 20th in career playoff wins. He ranks 14th all-time in winning percentage with QB’s over 10 playoff appearances.

17. Congrats Everson and he did it playing with basically one arm the last half of the season. There were two sacks he would have had against the Giants alone, but couldn’t raise his right arm to make the tackle. He was selected by the players as the team captain this year. When healthy he’s a 15+ sack a year. His numbers will only continue to improve as Hunter, Floyd and Joseph continue to improve as young players.

It never ceases to amaze me how many packer trolls infect the Vikings articles. Can’t even show enough class to congratulate a player who earned a Pro Bowl spot. Pathetic.

18. As a Packer “troll” I will say congratulations to Everson. I had no idea he had an injured shoulder. It’s impressive that he had 10-1/2 sacks. I tore my rotator cuff 10 years ago and I know how debilitating that issue can be. Be proud he’s made it to the PB and let him bask in that honor. Surgery can wait. I’m sure he’ll be ready by the fall.

There. Now can I get back to being a butt-head?

19. win the division, lose the first playoff game but hey we got the probowl!! even if he’s a runner up… oh well maybe next year. skol losers!!!

20. I’m sure this news took Vikings fans by surprise.

Of course, I mean that there are still more football games going on.

See, the pinnacle of their world seems to be the division crown, unless, of course, someone else wins it. Then it is completely worthless.

The Packers are still playing, because it’s what good teams do.

#top8
    #ourkickercanmakechipshots

21. Harrison Smith definitely needs to get in and I think he will, and as far as you Packer “trolls”, get the hell out of here, you really have no business here. Why in the world are you concentrating SOOOOOOO hard on us when your team is still in the playoffs??? A little insecure maybe??? I think that might be the answer. We won the division on YOUR home field and it is EATING you alive. If you don’t make it any further than tomorrow, WHEW!!! Well, will you be able to take what comes next? “Cause, you know, there isn’t a trophy or banner for last week’s win. Hmmmmmm…….

22. Classic case of getting there one year after he deserved it. 22 1/2 sacks in two years. He isn’t JJ Watt, but who is? At $8 mil a year, his productivity is a bargain.

There are quite a few other players in the pro bowl with less numbers and higher salary.

23. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Jan 14, 2016 5:29 PM
    wafflestomp says:
    Mar 9, 2014 5:39 PM

————————————————————–

Close, 5th overall in points allowed and 13th in yards allowed. 8th overall if you go by fantasy rankings. I mean, it’s really not close and you have no friggin’ clue what you’re talking about. But hey, there’s no rule against making ignorant or plainly false statements on the internet.

Also, no Vikings fans are not irked that the Packers pulled out a win against the worst team in the playoffs while we barely lost to arguably the best. The only way you could belittle our NFC North crown (SKOL VIKES SKOL) would be to go to the Superbowl. Do that and then I’ll be irked. Otherwise, just another year of the Packers choking in the playoffs.

And Carl – Yeah, our DE was considered second best to JJ Watt, so yeah, we’re pretty stoked.

Any other stupid comments for me to tear apart?

24. @summitmech –

I took that comment from wafflestomp from a 2-year-old story as an example of the kinds of comments packers fans were making after the Vikings signed Griffen. I thought the date would make that clear.

25. frank booth says:
    Jan 14, 2016 7:34 PM
    ariani1985 says:
    Jan 14, 2016 7:11 PM

You packer trolls want another history lesson!
    =================================

………..
    Hook….Line…..and Sinker….

26. teamnorsecore says:
    Jan 15, 2016 5:15 PM

frank booth says:
    Jan 14, 2016 7:34 PM
    ariani1985 says:
    Jan 14, 2016 7:11 PM

You packer trolls want another history lesson!
    =================================

………..
    Hook….Line…..and Sinker….
    ==================================
    Not really. I just put the facts in front of the Vikings fans.

Besides, I want to educate Ariani. He’s the most intelligent Viking fan as far as football knowledge goes.

27. We should all take time to thank the Vikings for being the most inept franchise in all of professional sports.

Every league needs someone to laugh at, and the Vikings organization fills that need from the owners down to the fans.

28. the vikes have the exact same chance as the pack of playing in Santa Clara in a few weeks……….zero!!!!!

29. While Everson is deserving I would rather he heal up and not play in the worst All Star game in professional sports. Trolls saying he is not a good player or is fortunate to be there just aren’t paying attention to the game.