Jeremy Maclin, Justin Houston among five Chiefs listed as questionable

KANSAS CITY, MO - DECEMBER 27:  Jeremy Maclin #19 of the Kansas City Chiefs bobbles the ball at Arrowhead Stadium during the third quarter of the game agains the Cleveland Browns on December 27, 2015 in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images) Getty Images

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said that he thought the team would make decisions about whether wide receiver Jeremy Maclin and linebacker Justin Houston will play against the Patriots on Saturday and they made that official with the release of their final injury report of the week on Friday.

Both players are listed as questionable, although it would seem Houston is a better bet to play than Maclin. Houston has been dealing with some discomfort from the knee brace he’s wearing to protect the injured knee that kept him out of the final five games of the regular season, but he was able to play against the Texans last weekend.

Maclin left that game with a high ankle sprain and hasn’t been listed as an official participant in practice at all this week, although Reid did say that Maclin did some on-field work early in Thursday’s session.

Running back Spencer Ware, linebacker Tamba Hali and wide receiver Albert Wilson were also listed as questionable. All of them were able to practice this week.

Center Mitch Morse and right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif weren’t able to practice due to concussions and they have both been ruled out. Zach Fulton will be at center for the second straight week and Jah Reid will likely take over at guard.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Jeremy Maclin, Justin Houston among five Chiefs listed as questionable”
  1. patsfan1820 says: Jan 15, 2016 12:19 PM

I hope all of them play.

2. BradyIsTheGCOAT says: Jan 15, 2016 12:20 PM

Just sweep the locker room and you’ll be fine.

3. chieffanforlifehelpme says: Jan 15, 2016 12:21 PM

Next men up! Nothing is stopping the Chiefs this weekend. Chiefs 23 Cheetahs 13

4. hopethechiefsalwayslose says: Jan 15, 2016 12:22 PM

I hope none of them are able to play or if they do they are ineffective. Go Pats!!

5. jbaxt says: Jan 15, 2016 12:26 PM

I see your legitimate Maclin and Houston injury and raise you Chandler Jones lacing dope with PCP, crawling around a police station parking lot out his mind, and a Gronk knee injury, I mean back… Or something injured, whatever.

Signed Bill…

6. ctchiefsfan25 says: Jan 15, 2016 12:27 PM

Go CHIEFS!!!!

7. paulrevereshorse1775 says: Jan 15, 2016 12:27 PM

I’ll wait a couple of hours for the article questioning whether the Chiefs are overstating, or understating, the extent of injuries before commenting any further.

There will be one, right?

8. ricko1112 says: Jan 15, 2016 12:30 PM

Oh no!

The Chiefs listed players on their injury report! They must be overstating and lying!

9. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 15, 2016 12:32 PM

Should be a good game Chiefs fan. If you win I’ll congratulate you and hope you get to the Super Bowl.

Both teams have injuries so there should be no excuses from either group of fans.

I think the Pats will win a cardiac kid kind of game that goes down to the last seconds.

10. TeeHeeLOLatPatsHaters says: Jan 15, 2016 12:33 PM

Make the NFL Great Again! #FireGoodell

11. chromesoxbeamin says: Jan 15, 2016 12:33 PM

If they ain’t playing, you can chalk a W for the pats (unfortunately), wipe your hands clean, say good night to your kitty and give your momma a good night kiss.

12. skooter519 says: Jan 15, 2016 12:35 PM

They are both playing, it’s just not going to get the same number of comments as when the Patriots list their players as questionable.

13. sharptop27 says: Jan 15, 2016 12:37 PM

If Maclin doesn’t play they’ll be just fine. Look how their OC did last year without Maclin!

14. mrwalterisgod says: Jan 15, 2016 12:47 PM

Belichick won’t have any issue getting his defense ready for that offense. Two weeks to prepare for handing the ball off and throwing short of the sticks 80+% of the time? Chiefs defense/special teams better be ready to score/provide field position for them to win.

15. rcosborne59 says: Jan 15, 2016 12:51 PM

The Chiefs fans can take their shots now and talk trash because around 730 pm on Saturday night they are going to wonder what the hell happened. Seems people forget that the Patriots have a pretty damned good defense themselves.

16. rjpats says: Jan 15, 2016 12:55 PM

A team listed a player on their injury report?

What are these shenanigans??

17. jbaxt says: Jan 15, 2016 1:02 PM

Ya, I agree “they should be fine without Maclin, look how they did last year”… Remember the last time KC played NE without Maclin, last year…

Maybe they should just bench him.

18. mmack66 says: Jan 15, 2016 1:04 PM

rcosborne59 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 12:51 PM

——————-

If the Chiefs lose, we’ll chalk it up to being outplayed by a better team.

The Patriots fans are the ones that will need a suicide watch, in case the Chiefs win, which is a possibility. It’s not good to coast into the playoffs with back-to-back losses to the Jets, and the Dolphins, of all teams.

If the weather is as bad as I’ve read it could be, the Chiefs running game could be the deciding factor.

19. chesswhileyouplaycheckers says: Jan 15, 2016 1:36 PM

mmack66 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 1:04 PM
    rcosborne59 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 12:51 PM
    If the Chiefs lose, we’ll chalk it up to being outplayed by a better team.

———————————

This longtime Pats fan will tip his cap, congratulate the Chiefs and wish them well. The Chiefs and Pats do it right between the lines unlike the knee and head hunters that will be playing each other in Denver. Coasting into the playoffs was a conscious gamble on BB’s part, hopefully it did most of the beat up guys some good.

This shouldn’t come as news but the Pats have a fairly competent bad weather offense themselves, even out there in the AFCW you may have heard of the guy that runs it.

Looking forward to this game. Wish the BS and haters hadn’t cut into our interaction with Chiefs fans this past week

20. legeisyaj says: Jan 15, 2016 1:39 PM

I WANT the Pats (Americas team) to win, but no chance in hell they will.

21. brandonfalley says: Jan 15, 2016 1:48 PM

Just make sure we check Brady’s balls…. you know we wouldnt want a repeat of last years preference. .. Go Chiefs

22. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 15, 2016 1:49 PM

“The Patriots fans are the ones that will need a suicide watch, ”

Not really. Only one team can win it all each season. Pats are in the playoffs for the 13th out of the last 15 years with 9 AFCC appearances and 6 SB appearances in that time.

If we lose tomorrow we’ll still have been in the playoffs again. Can you believe there are several teams that have not made the playoffs even once in that time frame ? (Bills I’m looking in your direction). There are other teams that have made it only once or twice in that 15 year period.

Pats fans have been fortunate to enjoy this run, and we have the 4 shiny Lombardis to admire even if the Chiefs win tomorrow. Nothing is guaranteed, and the Chiefs have had a great year. And I don’t recall them whining or screaming once about bad calls, bad refs or much of anything this year so they’ve done it with a lot of class. If you win so be it. Chances are next year at this time the Pats will be back in the playoffs again while the awful teams will still be watching from their couches with the fans.

23. routerunner says: Jan 15, 2016 1:57 PM

One thing I will say about this game to Pats fans, don’t throw your slings and arrows at Chiefs fans in general… a group largely neutral towards the Pats. Plenty of fan groups deserve scorn from Pats fans but not the Chiefs. Most of the troll comments here are coming from your garden variety Pats hater.

24. smasonsmith says: Jan 15, 2016 1:59 PM

Just sweep the locker room and you’ll be fine.
    ===
    Yeah… You know how NE likes to leave sawdust on the floor of the visitors locker room…

25. smasonsmith says: Jan 15, 2016 2:01 PM

===
    But with Jamaal Charles.

26. jackodn says: Jan 15, 2016 2:03 PM

Pats fan of over 40 years…. if a very good Chiefs team beats the Pats tomorrow, then I’ll be rooting for them to win it all.

I like the Pats at home, but any given Sunday (er… Saturday).

27. ts1960 says: Jan 15, 2016 2:08 PM

I am old enough to remember Len Dawson and company getting their hats handed to them in the first SB against Starr and the Packers. I’ve always been a Pats fan but have also liked the Chiefs over the years, enough to go watch them play the Seahawks years ago in the King Dome.

Good luck to both teams but if Jules is effective the edge goes to NE at home.

28. nhpats says: Jan 15, 2016 2:24 PM

I have a lot of respect for the Chiefs. After their poor start, they shored it up and got it done. That is impressive. And Chief’s fans don’t seem to be constant whiners like Bengals, Ravens, Colts and Bills fans. If the Chiefs win I will reflect back on another great season by the World Champion NE Patriots for a few days…..then I will support the Chiefs the rest of the way. Honestly, I don’t think I could stand to see The Cardinals or Seattle neuter Peyton Manning in another SB…..if the Pats don’t make it, better to give Alex Smith a chance.

29. jbaxt says: Jan 15, 2016 2:25 PM

PS… Chiefs backup RB’s are averaging more yards per game than Jamaal Charles was. Careful on commenting or making suggestions on things you clearly don’t understand.

30. jackodn says: Jan 15, 2016 2:27 PM

Ed Podolak, Willie Lanier, Buck Buchanon… man those names bring back a flood of memories of when I was a boy.

Always been a Pats fan, too, but the 70’s Chiefs were great to watch, especially when they had those epic battles with the Raiders.

31. tylawspick6 says: Jan 15, 2016 2:29 PM

The Eye Test From LAst Week:

1. If Maclin suits up, he’s a decoy and won’t be effective at all.

2. Houston – Not as good as normal as we saw LAST WEEK in Houston vs the Texans. The knee and the brace itself are both issues, making him less effective against a healthy Vollmer.

3. Hali – I think this is like Maclin, except he practiced. I think he plays, but will be neutralized due to the injury.

Add all this up, and tell me again how KC is in good position to beat a well rested (finally) Pats club?

32. infectorman says: Jan 15, 2016 2:34 PM

Kansas City Chiefs

A very likable team for me as NE fan.
    If they happen to pull it out tomorrow, I’ll be rooting for them and the Cards all the way, with KC taking home the Lombardi.

Oh yeah, almost forgot;
    Suck it Haters!

33. goattoday says: Jan 15, 2016 2:37 PM

Pats by two TD’s, minimum! All this other stuff is just noise.

34. ts1960 says: Jan 15, 2016 2:53 PM

ckodn says:
    Jan 15, 2016 2:03 PM

I like the Pats at home, but any given Sunday (er… Saturday).

**********************************************

If Bill and Co., can’t figure out how to stop the Chiefs D and give Brady time, and the Pats fail at stopping the Chiefs running game then for me it will be a matter of wearing red and rooting for the Chiefs to open up a can of WA on the Broncos. I don’t see the Steelers beating the Broncos unless their D does it.

35. hopethechiefsalwayslose says: Jan 15, 2016 3:26 PM

Kansas City Chiefs

A very likable team for me as NE fan.
    Oh yeah, almost forgot;
    Suck it Haters!
    ————————————————–
    For all you saying how likeable and everything the Chiefs are, you should try living here. The sportscasters and fans are the most pompous group I have ever encountered and I have lived in quite a few NFL markets. If they win the SB after winning the World Series, this place will be unbearable. Hope they go down big time.

36. blogatron2000 says: Jan 15, 2016 3:36 PM

hopethechiefsalwayslose says:
    Jan 15, 2016 3:26 PM

And I’m sure they hope you move…

37. mmack66 says: Jan 15, 2016 3:54 PM

blogatron2000 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 3:36 PM

hopethechiefsalwayslose says:
    Jan 15, 2016 3:26 PM

And I’m sure they hope you move…
    ———————-

We don’t care enough about sad bozos like that to hope they do anything.

38. boogerhut says: Jan 15, 2016 4:04 PM

harrisonhits2 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 1:49 PM
    “The Patriots fans are the ones that will need a suicide watch, ”

You seem fond of history so you cannot deny the accuracy of his post. If the Pats lose, the forums will be overflowing with talk of injuries, ref incompetence, ref favoritism, plotting by Goodell, dirty play ad nauseam. It’s what Pats fans do after EVERY loss. EVERY loss.

39. concrete998 says: Jan 15, 2016 4:10 PM

I’ve always liked Andy Reid and the Chiefs before he joined them but… let’s face it, if the Patriots offense returns to its pre injury /scorched earth revenge tour form… the better question is WHO could stop them from winning back to back Lombardi’s?!?!?!?

40. letmefeelyourlove says: Jan 15, 2016 4:15 PM

I group up in KC rooting for the Chiefs, but I’ve lived in NE most of my life. These are my two favorite NFL teams playing each other tomorrow afternoon. Damn!

41. cliffordt says: Jan 15, 2016 4:37 PM

Justin Houston is the key guy: He needs to make a contribution.

As for NE, their dynasty is on the way down, and the Chiefs are going to kickstart that slide, just like the Dolphins did to KC in 71, the longest game ever, played on Christmas Day.

A late Santos FG wins it, 20-18 Chiefs.

42. fanofpft says: Jan 15, 2016 5:51 PM

Just 5? Why not list practically the whole team the the Pathetics did most all of which also practiced.

43. infectorman says: Jan 15, 2016 6:17 PM

@boogerhut:

you are truly delusional.

If the Pats lose, I won’t care why or how it happened. If they lose they lose.
    Suffice to say, the league has engaged in an unprecedented witch-hunt/smear campaign against them for over a year, so yeah, there will likely be some eyebrow raising calls so Frodger doesn’t have to face them on the podium again.

Please, with you moronic proclamations.
    You’re embarrassing yourself…..again

44. bu2b1970 says: Jan 15, 2016 7:39 PM

Having watched the past two Chiefs games, I have never seen a team get away with blatant holding since I watched the Patriots play. This game should be really interesting.