McAdoo will run Giants on Coughlin time, five minutes early

Getty Images

Although new Giants coach Ben McAdoo says he’s not in Tom Coughlin’s shadow, he is keeping one of Coughlin’s signature rules alive.

McAdoo will set the clocks in the Giants facility five minutes ahead in recognition of Coughlin, who famously required players to be at all meetings and practices five minutes early.

“Thinking of a way to honor Tom, we have our digital clocks, they’re all five minutes fast, and we’re going to stick with that,” McAdoo said today. “That’s T.C. time. That’s a part of Giants culture now.”

Coughlin’s players didn’t always appreciate that part of Giants culture. Hall of Fame defensive end Michael Strahan, in particular, said it was preposterous when Coughlin fined him for being “late” to a meeting for which he was actually three minutes early.

But the players and coaches with the Giants now have worked under Coughlin for so long that they’re accustomed to it. And they’ll keep it up, even with Coughlin gone.

60 responses to “McAdoo will run Giants on Coughlin time, five minutes early

1. Ugh, this is like at work when you get a new boss that you think might let you eat donuts on the job but no, no he won’t.

2. So everything stays the same except you fire Tom Coughlin?

I have a lot of respect for Mara and Tisch but this makes no sense…

3. staffordsyear says:
    Jan 15, 2016 6:38 PM
    _________________________________

Your job sucks.. who isn’t allowed to eat donuts? Vendors bring a dozen or two by my office all the time..

4. key2heat says:
    Jan 15, 2016 6:38 PM
    Time for 25 interceptions from Eli again
    ————

people are still trying this, but ignoring 63 TDs the past two years. Amazing the stupidity in this world.

5. buckstalion12965 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 6:42 PM
    How is showing up for work, prepared and at least 5 minutes early, such a crazy concept to so many people?
    ————–

Look at the comments they leave. Does that surprise you?

6. I predict an epic, Les Steckel-style crash and burn.

7. Mcadoo came across as a very serious guy at his press conference…..I like it. Now he just needs to overhaul the Giants strength and conditioning program.

8. So the new coach is keeping a tradition from the previous coach. What’s the big deal? It’s a lot more than what they did for Parcells after running him out… Strahan even said after retiring that he is now “20” minutes early to his appointments thanks to TC!!! Someone is trying to stir the pot, huh???

9. People getting paid millions of dollars shouldn’t complain about 5 minutes early being “on time”

Pretty pathetic

10. buckstalion12965 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 6:42 PM

———————-

Because the 5-minute early part is arbitrary and stupid.

11. This doesn’t work because the people who follow it are humans who eventually (like in 2 minutes) figure out that they can start arriving 5 minutes “late” and actually be “on time.” Seriously, I know a lot of people who do this at home and think they’ll start being punctual if they set their clocks ahead. Guess what happens? They look at the clock and say “oh, f-it, that thing is 5 minutes fast, I’m doing fine.”

12. A lot of us have jobs where we are expected to be at work before our actual starting time and we don’t make millions. Why can’t the NFL darlings do it?

13. I think this was a lovely & simple homage to his and their old boss– what is wrong with some of you people? Nothing in the world wrong with acknowledging Tom Coughlin.

14. mmack66 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 7:05 PM
    buckstalion12965 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 6:42 PM

———————-

Because the 5-minute early part is arbitrary and stupid.
    ———————

No, your comment is stupid!!!

15. like 5 minutes early made a big difference huh ??
    what a joke.. It’s not how much time you spend in your meetings it’s what you do with it and obviously they didn’t benefit from it for sure ,, maybe they should show up 5 minutes later !!!

16. “carloswlassiter says:
    Jan 15, 2016 6:54 PM
    I predict an epic, Les Steckel-style crash and burn.

Too much responsibility, too soon, for an organization that thinks they are going to win the SB next year in a crazy media environment.”

Says the fan of a team that just spent the last 3 years going through ICWT.
    Was Chip Kelly a Les Steckel type of crash & burn after Andy?
    Is that why Lurie is desperate to bring back ANY link to Reid he can with the Pederson hire?

17. Childish games didn’t keep his team from collapsing.

How about, “Be here at this time.” Then you show up at that time.

18. It’s stupid. If you want to meeting to start 5 minutes early, then schedule it 5 minutes early.

19. Hey mmack66 lol you upset Bigblue and Buck, because you’re smarter then they are! lol, Also guessing buy your post? You are much more successful then them as well? On every level too, Physiologically, Spiritually, Physically and Monetarily! I personally do
    Very well monetarily as well. I sometimes show up 10 min early? 2 min early? 10 min late? Or 15 min? Or 5 min late? Lol ( NO one TELLS me! When to
    Be in!) I also stay 15 to 45 min late, every day! ( with out putting in for OT) So regardless if I’m 15 min early for work? Or 15 min late? I always stay no less the 15 to 20 min after hours! lol But most times its 45 min to 60 min after hours! ( most peeps that show up
    5 min early? Are the first ones out the door!! Right when the bell
    Rings! As soon as there work hours are over! ) I’m very successful young Man. That’s of course if one conceders, Making Money, being a success story?( I DO NOT CONCEDE TO MAKING Money= SUCCESS!) Then yes, I do very well… For me, success has nothing to about Money! It’s about being a good person and helping others! Doing something nice for someone else and not telling a single person you did it! That’s success for me! Making a decent amount Money is just an “unfortunate” necessity:-( If one wants to live comfortable? Well if ones Wife likes Money? lol lol And they all do!???

20. mmack66 says:

Because the 5-minute early part is arbitrary and stupid.
    ==========================================

Everyone look at the new generation^^^

21. Seems to me like the Giants wanted to lock down McAdoo before he started sniffing head coach gigs. Coughlin wasn’t going to be around forever and had a good run.

22. If everyone knows that the clocks in the facility are all 5 minutes fast, doesn’t that defeat the purpose after they find out for the first time?

I’m thinking this strategy wouldn’t work unless you’re a small child, or have that short term memory disease like in “50 First Dates”

23. Problem is, McAdoo is NOT Tom Coughlin. Rule #1 as a coach is to be “yourself”

Hope this works for the Giants, but they should’ve kept TC.

24. dwarftosser says:
    Jan 15, 2016 8:40 PM

—————-

They don’t want the meeting to start 5 min early. They want everyone at the meeting and ready 5 min early. It may be semantics to some, but there is a difference in perception between scheduling a meeting 5 min early so people can show up and settle down and the meeting starts on time, or making everyone show up 5 min early so they are ready for a meeting. The latter sends a better message around self discipline and what it takes to be successful.

It’s very similar to Belichick not allowing any excuse for being late to the facility for practice. Not even a snow storm. His point is leave home earlier.

25. headwoundharry says:
    Jan 15, 2016 8:47 PM

This is sooo Highschool!

—————

I don’t know if you noticed, but people in their early 20’s aren’t exactly getting 9-5 jobs and starting families like they were in the 70’s. They are still kids. Most of the NFL players are boys, not men. A littlie bit of discipline to show them what it takes to be a successful man is not so bad.

26. This would explain why they lose so many games. G men think the games over, but wait a minute……there’s 5 minutes left in the game!!! Time to put our helmets on a go throw a pick 6

27. clk320cpe says:
    Jan 15, 2016 7:45 PM

“carloswlassiter says:
    Jan 15, 2016 6:54 PM
    I predict an epic, Les Steckel-style crash and burn.

Says the fan of a team that just spent the last 3 years going through ICWT.
    Was Chip Kelly a Les Steckel type of crash & burn after Andy?
    ————————————————————–
    I’m a Pats fan.

And no, Kelly wasn’t a Les Steckel style 3-13 one and done coach.

I think time will show that Lurie made a big mistake letting Chip go. I predict he’ll be a big success in SF, and Pederson will lay an egg in Phila.

28. I’m going to guess that most of you that seem to have a problem with this are under 30, or even younger. That’s not an indictment of your age group, just an observation of one of the many differences between us.

Amongst us old folks, tardiness is looked down upon heavily. I am never late. I will never be late. To be late, would be to disrespect you. Not some imagined disrespect, either; my tardiness would show genuine disrespect. I owe you better than that.

If you want to do business with me, don’t be late. Not ever. Not by a single minute. If you are late you will not get my business. Period.