Packers-Cardinals: The Game Day Poster

On Saturday night, the Packers take on the Cardinals in Arizona. It’s an old-school game (both teams joined the league in the 1920s) with a new-school vibe, and the game day poster from Anthony Zych blends those two realities perfectly.

Here’s a link to the full-size image. Zych, who also is my nephew (which means there’s at least some real talent in the family), has drawn plenty of praise for his posters promoting games of the Columbus Blue Jackets, where he has been employed for the past few years.

It’s his second poster for NBC’s NFL coverage; last weekend, he put together a poster for the Seahawks-Vikings wild-card game. His full collection of Blue Jackets posters can be seen here.

107 responses to “Packers-Cardinals: The Game Day Poster

1. Rob Ryan article: “Nepotism Football League ”

Uni Watch ripoff a few days later: ZOMG LOOK WHAT MY NEPHEW DID LOL AWESOME SAUCE

2. arzcardinals
    Jan 15, 2016, 7:52 PM EST
    Why would Carson Palmer (3) be catching a pass?
    ________________________________________
    I see what you are trying to do here but it’s the viewpoint. Could be number 30-39…

3. The background colors don’t make sense to me – they’re neither harmonious with one another nor with the uni colors. The “rising sun” beams also seem arbitrary. I think with the dynamism and nice framing of the player images, a more neutral background color scheme would compete less with the foreground and make the best qualities of the image stand out better.

I quite like the Seahawks-Vikings one, though. Fun and has almost a storybook-illustration quality about it. Same goes for the Blue Jackets images, which are quite fun.

Good luck to your nephew on a long and fruitful career.

4. It’s called history, many players have worn those same numbers… and the numbers themselves are irrelevant. The spirit of the poster is the old-timey nature of the football clubs involved hence the absence of facemasks. I like it.

5. Imagine that – a Cardinal defender picking off an underthrown Aaron Rodgers pass. How relevant.

Probably were going for their patented “pass interference offense.”

6. ariani1985 wrote: “Shouldn’t the packer be choking on a piece of cheese? It is the playoffs!”

He would be if the Vikings didn’t choke on everything edible against the Seahawks.

7. ariani1985 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 8:46 PM

Usually when the packers play the cardinals little erin Rogers has a fumble 6 for a score! 2009 playoffs anyone?

ariani1985 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 7:55 PM

Shouldn’t the packer be choking on a piece of cheese? It is the playoffs!
    —————————————————————-
    This coming from a Viking fan. Wasn’t your last choke a wide left field goal? or was it wide right against Atlanta? or how about Favre throwing a pick in NO, and how many times did AP from fumble in that game? Yes GB has choked, but your mighty Vikes have also done it.

8. Very good job! Pay no mind to the haters.

I’m a graphic artist myself, and I love how much of it is hand-made or touched by the artist’s hand. Real effort that pays off.

The nephew needs a bit of training with the use of fonts, but the eye for drama and style is there. A lot of tech savvy with the grainy look and outlines, too. Guessing 20+ layers at the height of the work.

Your nephew needs to get a book of old US and Soviet propaganda posters, that would teach fonts, contrast and simplicity.

9. You guys are idiots, the colors are the Arizona state flag. Know your country’s history before you spew idiotic comments.

10. kevpft says:
    Jan 15, 2016 8:18 PM

==================================
    The background colors are the Arizona flag.

I think the kid does a really nice job. Very cool stuff.

11. ariani1985 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 8:46 PM

==================================
    Somewhere, a village is missing its idiot.

12. Awesome! Nice work. I also liked the Seahawks-Vikings one, good stuff. I only hope my Bears make it far enough one of these years to see how Anthony portrays the matchup. Keep up the good work and thanks for posting about something unique.

13. Nice to see the Vikings fans still active on PFT. They’re usually out by week 8, hang around trolling till week 12, and move on to draft predictions by the holidays. Gotta taste for playoff football didya? No more soup for you. NEXT

14. I grew up drawing pictures of matchups, giants vrs. vikings, falcons swooping in on broncos, call me nerdy but that’s what first drew me into the cult of the NFL. You go young sir!

15. Good job! Nice composition.

I especially like the dichotomy the poster exhibits between the old and the new. The Packer player is clearly in position to make the definitive NFL play of knocking the ball loose. Yet we all know the league is being redefined, and the play will result in a “hitting a defenseless receiver” penalty along with the requisite fake concussion.

16. “ariani1985 says: Shouldn’t the packer be choking on a piece of cheese? It is the playoffs!”

The Chokers can’t choke this game… they’re 7 point dogs to the spread. They’d have to be favorites heading into the game. They can… however… choke away any lead the “officials” give to them, like they did in the 2015 NFCCG (19-7 @ the 2 minute warning but losing 28-22 in OT).

17. kevpft says:
    Jan 15, 2016 8:18 PM

The background colors are those of the Arizona State Flag, Saturdays home team.

18. Normally, calling the trolls desperate would come off sounding insincere. But it’s true. Their minds are so bent from the crotch-kick they got last weekend, their only salvation is the weak attempts at affecting us with their mean-spirited comments.

But it’s working. It does affect us. It makes us laugh our asses off.

19. ariani1985 says:

Shouldn’t the packer be choking on a piece of cheese? It is the playoffs!

lol because Packer fans are cheese heads, so the Packer player would choke on some cheese that he was eating on the field because the Packers are known for eating cheese and are from Wisconsin and I don’t like them!

I GET it! Almost lost me for a minute there!

20. The Packers are going to win tonight. No one gives them a chance. Guys on TV arguing because one says it might be closer than last time?. The players have nothing to lose when no one expects them to win. The pressure is all on Arizona and Carson Palmer. Palmer has one series of playoff experience.

So, when the Packers win, what will the excuses be?

21. The frustration and angst of a typical Viking fan is epitomized by the whiskey bottle thrown from the stands, which knocked out a referee years ago in the postseason against Dallas.

Just read between the lines of their taunts and jeers and spittle on these threads. They just want to get drunk and pick fights.

Typical.

22. Where do we start to chronicle the loser mentality of the Vikings? Gary Anderson? 41-0?, Favre?, 0-4 Super Bowls?, Walsh?

Do a search. There’s a lot more. They thought they could shed that black blanket this year, and they failed…….again. So now the only ammunition they have to fight with……again……is insults and putdowns. That’s it.

“But, but, but, but…….we won the North Division! We have lots and lots of those! Doesn’t that count?”

23. watched super bowl 1 on nfl last night..way classier back then, more minimalistic. bart starr has more class in his ring finger than rodgers ever will.. no prancing and preening. saw starr get sacked multiple times. weird, never got up looking for a flag. also threw the ball with grace. none of this crap of 12 guys on defense and quick snaps to draw offsides. just plain old football. hey bart. hope your broken hip heals and you have many more years!!!

24. movike says:
    Jan 16, 2016 9:15 AM
    A Packer fan, a Lions fan, and a Bears fan walk into a bar … And the bartender says, “Get the hell outta here!”

right, cuz bar owners turn away money

25. the nephew might want to find another career….this one is as bad as that viking/ seahawk …. looks like something a 10 year old could do …. you must be trying hard to get him some work

26. filthymcnasty3 says:
    Jan 16, 2016 9:25 AM
    4 games.

8 great teams.

All of them, contenders.

What a glorious weekend of playoff football.

EXCEPT FOR WATCHING GB GET BEAT BY 17

27. beerbratscheese says:
    Jan 16, 2016 8:13 AM
    Ariani loves to talk about fumbling and choking, yet I never once read a post of his concerning the Vikings Seahawks game last week. I wonder why.
    /////////////////////////////////////////

I can tell you why. It’s because he, like all the other trolls, is more interested in generating any negative drivel about the Packers than celebrating anything positive about the Vikings improvements this year.

It’s in their DNA.

28. The Packers, seen as major underdogs, are loose and confident. The Cards are cold after an extended layoff and overconfident. By game time- they’ll be feeling the pressure… the “DON’T CHOKE!!” type of pressure. The “Carson Palmer has never won a playoff game!” type pressure. There are 3 teams that are battle-tested and fully accustomed to having to overcome long odds to win it all: the Steelers, the G-Men and America’s Favorite PACK. Look out.

29. I have no idea what role the graciousness of Packer fans played in their continued playoff success, but you can’t read these threads and wonder about karma impacting last weeks outcomes.

It really is better football.

For better people.

30. I always love this time year. Waking up the morning of puching your ticket to the NFCCG. Vike’s can sleep in though. There’s nothing for you again this year.

Go Pack!

31. codythao35 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 9:44 PM
    The Packers game day chokers. Two and done soft Packers.

If two and done makes the Packers soft, what does that make the 1 and done Vikings?

Answer: Chokers

32. Maybe he could do a poster of the Minneapolis Red Jackets from back in the 1930’s. They also had to watch the Packers have more success than they did.
    But their fans probably weren’t such bitter, envious little insects.

33. Thanks for another great season Pack! A playoff victory, and another game to watch today. We may not win (probably won’t) – oh well. Only one team wins the whole enchilada. 13 times in history is nothing to complain about.

The Lion’s Hail Mary will get me through the offseason. Go Pack!!

34. leatherface2012 says:
    Jan 15, 2016 9:59 PM

love the thumbs down by packer fans..they cant face reality. if green bay does win, i will never post on here again, assuring the failure of this website
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This should pretty much ensure that all of PFT, with the exception of AZ fans and the purples, will be rooting for the Pack.

That is, if you’re a man of your word.

35. shlort says:
    Jan 16, 2016 8:08 AM
    No one gives them a chance. The players have nothing to lose when no one expects them to win.
    —————————————————–
    What are you ranting about?

The Packers were Super Bowl favorites by the pundits and their fans.
    If the Packers don’t win the Super Bowl, the packers season is a choke and a failure.

36. The Packers have no chance. They were lucky to come against a weak armed QB who coudn’t pass in the big wind last week. Otherwise they would not be here today.

The Packers just are not a talented team and the ride stops today. No receivers with speed, an O line that is busted up and had been all season, running backs who can be stopped and a QB who is flighty.

37. filthymcnasty3 says:
    Jan 16, 2016 10:39 AM

It really is better football.

For better people.

__________________________________

My friend filthy is right, he has no idea about the role of graciousness. I’d bet the Stringer family would certainly agree after filth made fun of Stringer dying after practicing. This is what we Packer fans do. This is what we are. This is our karma.

38. My dad lives in Phoenix. He said he went by the Packer hotel last night and saw guards stationed outside of Lacy’s hotel room to make sure he does not break curfew for a late night snack.

39. screamingyellowzonkers says:

What are you ranting about?

The Packers were Super Bowl favorites by the pundits and their fans.

Being predicted to win the Super Bowl and following that up with a win in the playoffs means “You have a good team that typically does well.”

Hows yours doin, Bubba?

40. The Vikings have choked in the postseason so many times, the NFL is considering the creation of a Participation Trophy called the “Walsh.”

You don’t have to include all their postseason losses……just the chokes: Anderson? Favre? 41-0? Walsh? 0-4 Super Bowls?

The NFL is thinking of blessing this team before next season in the name of St. Blaise, the Patron Saint of Chokers.

You can try to deflect the label off the Vikings onto the Packers, but people know.

They know. Just own it.

41. itscarpweekondiscoverwi says:
    Jan 16, 2016 12:52 PM
    screamingyellowzonkers says:

What are you ranting about?

The Packers were Super Bowl favorites by the pundits and their fans.

Hows yours doin, Bubba?
    ———————————————-
    Well, my team was predicted to finish last in the division.
    My team won the division.

Packers were predicted to win the division and cruise to the Super Bowl.

The packers have already choked their season away by losing the division to team they claim is the worst team in NFL history. If the packers don’t win the Super Bowl, the packers season is an epic failure.

Don’t let packer fans get away with claiming their season is anything other than an epic failure.

Sucks to be a packer fan!

42. I am a very happy fan of the Green Bay Packers who likes to spread good will about my team and share everything good about our lifestyle. In fact, my friend filthy/homey can borrow my hypothalamus any time he likes. It’s the least I can do to help someone improve. Go Pack Go!

43. h0metownzero says:
    Jan 16, 2016 1:19 PM

I always enjoy playing in Phoenix, in large part because they take employee safety seriously.

___________________________________

No doubt, another veiled reference making fun of a construction worker’s death, and another reminder of our fellow Packer Backer filthy/homey showing us what we really are in Wisconsin. We are what we are. I wonder if we could share cooking tips?

44. As a former Packer player and lifetime Packer fan I feel it is my right to make fun of people dying in a bridge collapsing, make fun on construction workers getting killed on the job and make fun of players who die at practice. Then I will boast and tell you how much better a person I than everyone else who is not also a Packer fan. All my fellow Packer fans will tacitly agree.

Oh and I would be getting getting fatter every day while doing all this except they don’t let me do that here in lockup.

45. As a former Packer player and lifetime Packer fan I feel it is my right to make fun of people dying in a bridge collapsing, make fun on construction workers getting killed on the job and make fun of players who die at practice. Then I will boast and tell you how much better a person I than everyone else who is not also a Packer fan. All my fellow Packer fans will tacitly agree.

Oh and I would be getting fatter every day while doing all this except they don’t let me do that here in lockup.

46. wow. a packer fan making fun of the death of an innocent american. how predictable. you must find the pat tillman story hilarious.

47. Wow…..now the Packer-hating trolls have ALL taken on pseudo Packer fan personalities. That must get confusing for their families. That’s a voluntary split personality and speaks volumes to the extremely high levels of jealousy they feel for the Green Bay Packers and their fans.

There isn’t any other explanation.

48. There is only one way the same exact message can be sent within three minutes of each other.

“randy” and “cheese” are the same person. He’s got three personalities, all of which are disturbed.

49. Frazier28/7 says: