Bruce Arians: “I play to win”

Philadelphia Eagles v Arizona Cardinals Getty Images

If the Cardinals had lost last night, there would be a lot of talk this morning about risky calls that didn’t pay off. On offense, Arizona threw an incomplete pass late in the game that stopped the clock, when a safe run would have taken another 40 seconds off the clock. On defense, Arizona blitzed on the Packers’ Hail Mary at the end of regulation.

But if you think Cardinals coach Bruce Arians is going to second-guess himself over those two calls, you don’t know Bruce Arians.

“I play to win,” Arians said.

Arians said the decision to blitz on the Hail Mary is his. Cardinals defensive coordinator James Bettcher was planning to go into the typical prevent defense that teams use on Hail Mary attempts, and Arians overruled him.

“Most teams play the prevent,” Arians said. “That’s what Betch was going to play. I said, ‘Hell no. Blitz him. [Aaron Rodgers] made a great throw. I thought that Calais [Campbell] was held, but it still ended up being a touchdown.”

It ended up being a touchdown that could have cost the Cardinals their season, but Arians isn’t the kind of coach who worries about the worst thing that could happen. Arians is the kind of coach who thinks the best thing will happen. And in the end, for the Cardinals, it did.

Permalink 95 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
95 Responses to “Bruce Arians: “I play to win””
  1. redeemerac says: Jan 17, 2016 6:39 AM

I know people will always complain when it doesn’t work out, personally I have hard time faulting a coach when he’s playing to win, rather than playing to not lose.

2. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Jan 17, 2016 6:43 AM

Great coach

3. smokehouse56 says: Jan 17, 2016 7:03 AM

And the Eagles wouldn’t give him an interview last time around.

4. screamingyellowzonkers says: Jan 17, 2016 7:24 AM

The bad play call was the second down pass thrown out of bounds.

He should have ran the ball down to the 2 minute warning and then try for the first down.

I couldn’t believe they ran that plan.

5. amaf21 says: Jan 17, 2016 7:36 AM

Good job taking out the trash Coach.

6. smedley61 says: Jan 17, 2016 7:42 AM

Maybe Bruce Arians isn’t as smart a Head Coach as I thought. He was throwing passes too at the end. Which, when incomplete, killed the clock for the Packers and put them in position for the Hail Mary.

7. firegoodell says: Jan 17, 2016 7:43 AM

Just because they won doesn’t make those two decisions any less stupid. The cardinals won in spite of those two boneheaded calls by the head coach.

8. TheDPR says: Jan 17, 2016 7:45 AM

That type of bucking the odds is fun until you play against a good team with a good coach. They got really lucky last night and almost lost to a mediocre team. They’ll have to play much better and smarter to beat either the Panthers or Seahawks.

9. selfpromotingqb says: Jan 17, 2016 7:52 AM

And somewhere Aron Rogers is still making excuses.

10. bdywrks says: Jan 17, 2016 7:53 AM

This guy is authentic. No coach speak. And he won’t apologize because he didn’t run the ball, nor should he.

What the hell happened that Pittsburgh got rid of this guy? And LeBeau?

11. solidarityrules says: Jan 17, 2016 7:54 AM

The issue is defensive back play: why stay behind the receivers? Making a tackle won’t help. Play AT the goal line, or a yard in front, and move back if needed.

12. randomguy9999 says: Jan 17, 2016 7:55 AM

the prevent never prevents anything….

if I had a buck for every time I saw a team take their foot off the gas on Offense or Defense and use the prevent and then blow a 2 score lead and lose the game in the last minute……

13. noteamforlosangeles says: Jan 17, 2016 7:57 AM

Cardinals are a complete team. I think they’ll be fine regardless if they have to host Seattle or travel to Charlotte for the NFCCG.

14. thejetssuck2001 says: Jan 17, 2016 7:57 AM

Bruce Arians = OG!!

15. marvin1958 says: Jan 17, 2016 7:57 AM

Congrats to the Cards and their fans. They scored and my guys had plenty of opportunities to put ’em away and didn’t.

“If it doesn’t flip you can’t give ’em lip.”

16. armchairqb says: Jan 17, 2016 8:01 AM

No, you play like you’re playing a game of Madden at 2 am. That was an incredibly stupid play call.

Just own it. You’ll get more respect if you do.

17. shlort says: Jan 17, 2016 8:09 AM

Arizona had to take chances. That is how a team gets lucky. Arizona needed luck to win last night. They were outmatched most of the game. Luckily, Green Bay ran out of gas at the end.

18. justintuckrule says: Jan 17, 2016 8:12 AM

He’s starting to get annoying too.

19. stellarperformance says: Jan 17, 2016 8:13 AM

He is the last guy to point out calls that were not made. I’m not complaining because you have to win under any circumstance, but he brought it up. The Cardinals are near the league lead in benefiting from penalties and penalty yardage and nothing I saw last night will change their position. A lot of “home field” stuff called and even more not called.

Great game though. It’s much easier to take knowing the Packers are fixable for next year. They played their hearts out against the best team in the NFC. What more can you ask for? Plus, I can watch hundreds of laugh-through-your-nose videos of the moment Viking fans were brought back to earth. It’s almost like karmic payback for the actions of their fans, especially the trolls on this site.

If that can’t sustain a Packer fan until next year, nothing can.

Good luck Cardinals. Good luck all the way.

20. learysdisciples says: Jan 17, 2016 8:18 AM

Huh, that’s interesting…must have learned that from Charlie Sheen.

21. quinzze says: Jan 17, 2016 8:21 AM

Never seen a blitz on a Hail Mary and from the result of the play I can see why. Good thing Arizona won the game or coach Arians would look awful dumb today.

22. waldoampere says: Jan 17, 2016 8:21 AM

The pass play right before the two minute warning wasn’t playing to win. It was just stupid.

23. realfootballfan says: Jan 17, 2016 8:24 AM

It’s why this guy is a breath of fresh air. Living here in Phoenix, just his demeanor is so different from just about every coach I’ve ever seen, and I love it and know his players love it. You don’t wait as long as he did just for a shot to do it like everybody else. Rodgers just made a play. Detroit played prevent when he hit that one against them, and it didn’t help them, now did it? The only problem I had with his decisions was the throw on 3rd down late, but I doubt Rodgers would have cared one way or the other.

24. flyinghighphil says: Jan 17, 2016 8:31 AM

Forgot to mention the great job done by the refs again LOL . Why does it seem their are a lot more bad calls by n.f.l. Refs than college refs? So what is it 1) the games are fixed ( I don’t want to believe it ) 2) the refs are taking bribes ( seems like it ) 3) humans are incapable of officiating a n.f.l. Game if that’s the case lose some of these newer rules. Use the rules of the 70’s , -90’s pre Goodell . The game was great and rarely was the refs play calling brought up . There were bad calls against each team again in this game. Something needs to be done , Goodell doesn’t think so. He is a huge part of what is wrong with the n.f.l. Needs to go before he does more damage to this great game.

25. jagsfanugh says: Jan 17, 2016 8:33 AM

That is why his team is still in it.

26. seattlesue427 says: Jan 17, 2016 8:35 AM

Wonder who the Cards are rooting for today? Pick your poison…Hawks at home or Carolina away. I think it would be great to see another NFC West showdown, but then again, I am a Hawks fan!

27. johnodocks says: Jan 17, 2016 8:42 AM

Oh boy – he’s gonna have Palmer throw from the 1 yard to end the Super Bowl and expect another fortunate ricochet.

28. derekgorgonstar says: Jan 17, 2016 8:48 AM

He has a point. A touchdown would have put the game out of reach. I like a coach that is aggressive.

29. randallsimonintheclutch35 says: Jan 17, 2016 8:50 AM

I’m a Packers fan and am not bitter over the loss, but I thought Arians showed very poor sportsmanship in both of our games vs the Cards, the same goes for a couple of his star players. Definitely not a likable team.

30. trefkennedy says: Jan 17, 2016 8:52 AM

Wish he’d coach Dallas smh

31. pridewatcher says: Jan 17, 2016 8:57 AM

I plain and simple love this man!

32. brianav036 says: Jan 17, 2016 9:11 AM

Great coach…I am not a Cardnial’s fan and I wish my team would have been smart enough to hire him.

33. jimnsota says: Jan 17, 2016 9:12 AM

Zero problems with that call, play to win because if you don’t your season is over.
    That was a fun game to watch. Refs had some bad calls like any game. But, they kept the flags in their pockets for some tough calls which made this game a classic. AZ is a better team and deserved to move on.

34. kamthechancellor says: Jan 17, 2016 9:17 AM

I loved the blitz call on the hail Mary. It would probably work vs 31 other qbs. Love him or hate him, Rodgers is just special. He did it in Detroit…he did it on fourth and long…and he did it on the Hail Mary. But the call by BA was bold and original and should have worked if not versus probably the greatest deep ball thrower in the history of the game.

35. packerfanallday says: Jan 17, 2016 9:22 AM

Packer fan here: All teams play to win. I was thinking Arians gave us another chance with that play. But Fitzgerald showed he’s a HOFer. Hats off to AZ.

36. rgorr44 says: Jan 17, 2016 9:29 AM

Blitz play didn’t bother me, but that pass play was not a play to “win” the game. Bad play call, receiver had no chance of being open.Dumb.

37. mgm44 says: Jan 17, 2016 9:30 AM

I love how aggressive he is as well, but it’s Aaron Rodgers and Aaron Rodgers proved why you go to prevent against him and not blitz.

38. immafubared says: Jan 17, 2016 9:33 AM

Cant stand this loud mouth. No class at all. Why would a coach come out and say basically ‘if the packers get back here to play us they will still be hurting from the ass kicking we gave them’. Talk about firing up the opposition.

Yesterday Arizona got the ass kicking. and next week there season ends because if nothing else the Packers showed the other teams Arizona can be beaten and they did a toll on that O line.

39. kickinpuppies says: Jan 17, 2016 9:34 AM

There’s a difference between playing to win and being reckless. Almost cost him this time.

40. therealtrenches says: Jan 17, 2016 9:47 AM

What’s with the machismo bluster, Bruce?

Using the prevent in a hail Mary situation IS playing to win. Doing anything else is idiotic.

41. tqaztec says: Jan 17, 2016 9:49 AM

I was expecting the Cards to get called for some penalty if they laid a hand on Rodgers

42. joecancun says: Jan 17, 2016 9:51 AM

Playing to win is using all available tools at your disposal.
    Including managing the clock correctly.

He gambled and should have lost but got lucky and won.

43. carloswlassiter says: Jan 17, 2016 9:56 AM

Belichick did the same thing at the end of the game. Rather than run 3 times into an 8-man front and punting it back to KC with 50 seconds left, they threw for the 1st down.

I like the call, but in that case the pass was deflected and could have easily been picked off and/or run back for a game typing TD.

Better to play for the win like that, and like Tomlin, and Arians, than to take no chances like Andy Reid.

44. suhmonster90 says: Jan 17, 2016 9:57 AM

So jealous. Not second guessing going for Larry, they get that they walk off without OT.

45. atthemurph says: Jan 17, 2016 9:58 AM

He thinks he was playing to win but he was simply being aggressive. There is a time to be aggressive and a time to win the game that is presented to you.

Arians chose a risk that was completely unnecessary at that point in the game. Running out the clock would have been “playing to win” because his team had the lead, the ball and could have pretty much ended the game if he played it right.

That he won’t even admit his error causes me to rethink my belief that he is a hell of a coach. Now I think he is simply a risk taker that has been handed a great roster. he got out coached last night and he will again no matter who he plays the rest of the way. His risks might pay off but they usually do not.

46. tommytd says: Jan 17, 2016 10:07 AM

************************************************
    NFL refs have two standards for calling penalties.
    During the season…they call EVERYTHING. During the playoffs they put their flags away and call very little. I wonder why that is???

47. rahavort says: Jan 17, 2016 10:10 AM

I have yet to hear about a coach who plays to lose

48. beer4guy says: Jan 17, 2016 10:12 AM

randallsimonintheclutch35 | Jan 17, 2016, 5:50 AM PST
    __________________________

And Matthews’ classless act of offering to help Palmer up and then walking away is good sportsmanship? Cat meet kettle.

49. realdealsteel says: Jan 17, 2016 10:15 AM

I wish Arians was the Steelers coach. Tomlin is awful.

50. flyeagles76 says: Jan 17, 2016 10:15 AM

I am a Bruce Arians fan.

51. sbaltimore says: Jan 17, 2016 10:26 AM

Arians is not a cookie-cutter coach.

52. matth3w420 says: Jan 17, 2016 10:29 AM

The Cardinals should have a fan section called Arians Brotherhood.

53. legeisyaj says: Jan 17, 2016 10:30 AM

how many championships has this “i play to win” guy won again? Last i looked, ALL people play to win. its the ones who actually WIN that are awesome. i like this guy, but give me a break.

54. lindacaseauthor says: Jan 17, 2016 10:32 AM

randallsimonintheclutch35 says:
    Jan 17, 2016 8:50 AM
    ———————-
    Like in the first game when Claitlin offered his hand to Palmer to help Palmer stand then pulled it away like a big, stupid bully? That kind of poor sportsmanship?

55. tonebones says: Jan 17, 2016 10:33 AM

I love Arians. I hate watching scared coaches lose games by playing it “safe”. His offense gambles a lot and so does his defense. Some of those defensive formations late in the game were mind boggling. But somehow, Arians knows what he needs to do in that moment. The opposing coaches can’t keep up.

56. pittsburghdamned says: Jan 17, 2016 10:36 AM

And Palmer still throws end zone interceptions

This team is a fraud

57. luther6 says: Jan 17, 2016 10:38 AM

This guy is awesome. Just outstanding. Wish he were the Bills coach.

58. goodellclownshow says: Jan 17, 2016 10:38 AM

The only thing I question with Arians are his decisions on hats, glasses and suits…he thinks he’s stylin and profiling but looks like the 60 yr old woman wearing a mini skirt.

59. ragejet says: Jan 17, 2016 10:43 AM

Wasn’t that Ivan Drago? Arians is great he is in his own world too! Coached with the bear, got high with the Indy owner and scored head from chuck. Seriously the Bruce can coach and his players like to play for him…

60. packy305 says: Jan 17, 2016 10:46 AM

McCarthy says he plays to win…….Then why not go for 2 after the TD and win the game !!!!

61. cakesw says: Jan 17, 2016 10:58 AM

He is an amazing coach, and he is right !!!

You play to win the game !!!

So what if it didn’t work ?? If it had…Cardinals win…no Hail Mary, no worries, he was trying to win it.

The play it safe Packers had a chance to win the game on the final play of the game !!! Arians would have gone for two.

62. filthymcnasty3 says: Jan 17, 2016 10:58 AM

I loved that play call. The game is over if the pass was complete.

What a tremendous football game.

63. manderson4150 says: Jan 17, 2016 11:14 AM

Geez Bruce I certainly hope u play to win…..thanks for the tip.

64. therealtrenches says: Jan 17, 2016 11:24 AM

Everybody in the building knew the Packers were going to throw a hail mary. There’s no good reason not to have maximum coverage on all eligible pass catchers. Bruce elected not to do that, and and the Packers scored.

If McCarthy went for two and the Packers won, the blown lead would be Bruce’s fault.

And all you Cards fans who are beating your chests over Bruce’s comments would be singing a different tune today

65. yooperman says: Jan 17, 2016 11:37 AM

A few comments asked why college refs do a better job. It just hit me, because they are younger and can keep up. A ref has to work his why through the ranks. By the time he gets to the NFL he is old and slow. I know the owners can’t afford to pay full time refs, with having to pay cheerleaders minimum wage now, but they could at least try to get some younger refs. Maybe check out Lowes parking lot or something.

66. 1pavikingfan says: Jan 17, 2016 11:39 AM

Nice job coach – you sound like a classy guy !!!

67. JSpicoli says: Jan 17, 2016 11:50 AM

They got lucky. Palmer is a pick machine and he is not playing his best.

CAR or SEA wins over AZ.

68. mogogo1 says: Jan 17, 2016 11:55 AM

I like Arians a lot but if the Packers had been given a vote they’d have loved the idea of the pass play and quite probably the blitz, as well. Doing exactly what the opponent is hoping is a funny way to play to win.

69. vicnocal says: Jan 17, 2016 12:03 PM

“I, also, like to live dangerously.”

70. revelation123 says: Jan 17, 2016 12:04 PM

If you’re playing to win you simply don’t give Aaron Rodgers an extra minute in regulation to lead a come back, regardless how how many receivers he’s missing.

71. thefatlazygamer says: Jan 17, 2016 12:06 PM

I wish Blair Walsh played to win😦

72. glac1 says: Jan 17, 2016 12:12 PM

I assume all NFL coaches play to win! lol Here is the bottom line… If they play like they did the last two games they’ll end up short of where they should. Only a choke will keep the Cardinals from winning it all… and… he almost choked yesterday. You can just see the noose tightening around his neck..

73. bert1913 says: Jan 17, 2016 12:16 PM

what happened when you played the Seahawks

74. filthymcnasty3 says: Jan 17, 2016 12:20 PM

There has always been something “regal” about the Packers and their fans. And that’s never been more evident than today.

75. rhett16 says: Jan 17, 2016 12:23 PM

I live in Phoenix, I watch the Cardinals games and while he is a good coach, even I admit there is no bigger crybaby about the officiating than this guy. Every play he acts like his team is being screwed, and I am fairly sure he actually believes his teams have never committed a penalty, ever. That being said, his team won, grats to them.

76. fartweasel says: Jan 17, 2016 12:30 PM

The shovel pass to fitz for the win was genius. Credit to Arians and his crew. Many teams would have played conservative there and run it, settling for the “safe” field goal. Play to win. Well done.

77. jrossizzle says: Jan 17, 2016 12:33 PM

Pats did the same thing, throwing the ball on 2nd down with just over a minute to go.

Hits a KC player flies up in the air and the Pats player catches for a first down game over.

I thought both teams should have run and that would have been giving them the best chance to win

They both were aggressive and made their own luck

78. vikingprideforever says: Jan 17, 2016 12:38 PM

I love BA and believe he is one of the best coaches in the NFL today. That being said, foolish play calls almost cost him a W.

79. jeydrade says: Jan 17, 2016 12:42 PM

Depending on the outcome, you will get second guessed either way. Safer to play the percentages, but then again, being aggressive can pay off.

80. bluez32 says: Jan 17, 2016 12:50 PM

He wanted to coach my Browns . idiots in the FO didn’t give him a chance ..UGGH ,

On the Cards bandwagon for the rest of the season .

81. flyinghighphil says: Jan 17, 2016 12:52 PM

Is it just me or does he seem as arrogant as Mike Martz. IAM a RAMS fan and I’ll guarantee you Martz’s ego cost the RAMS a few Super Bowl victories. He was a great o.c. But didn’t have the brains to be a head coach. At least Martzled the RAMS to a Super Bowl. This guy just won his first playoff game. If he makes bonehead mistakes next week. The cards will not win .Fitzgerald is a great wide receiver. It’s really a shame he’ll never win a Super Bowl because of his head coach . He’s over rated, and doesn’t see his mistakes . The players can only cover his ass so long. Times up !!!!!

82. Bluestree says: Jan 17, 2016 12:53 PM

I’m over Ariens. He’s become a legend in his own mind. Couple years, his act gets stale and he’s gone

83. dirtyhelmet says: Jan 17, 2016 1:03 PM

randallsimonintheclutch35 says:
    Jan 17, 2016 8:50 AM

——————————————-

Coming from the packer fan base this is truly laughable!

84. leatherface2012 says: Jan 17, 2016 1:20 PM

randallsimonintheclutch35 says:
    Jan 17, 2016 8:50 AM

your last sentence describes green bay to a “t”

85. taintedsaints2009 says: Jan 17, 2016 1:25 PM

That play call tells me he is not ever going to be a prime time coach. Insanely idiotic. He is lucky Fitzgerald bailed him out, otherwise that playcall would be scrutinized all off season. Glad he isn’t my teams coach.

86. dexx57 says: Jan 17, 2016 1:26 PM

This guys really obnoxious and looks like a sopranos enforcer, hope he loses big next week.

87. MostlyRight says: Jan 17, 2016 1:37 PM

“No risk it no biscuit” – B.A.

88. johnsfsnl says: Jan 17, 2016 2:10 PM

89. johnsfsnl says: Jan 17, 2016 2:10 PM

Playing to win means doing what gives you the best chance to win. Running the ball there put his team in the best position to win there. It’s foolish to give a guy credit just for the sake of trying something risky when we all know it was the wrong decision..

90. colt13 says: Jan 17, 2016 2:34 PM

Like him. He is like Hoodie and Carroll, a little different, but it works for him.

Plus this team has to pass sometimes because they dont have a true #1 back.

91. jimmysee says: Jan 17, 2016 2:42 PM

Two great coaches +
    Two great teams =
    One great game.

Congrats to the Cardinals!

92. jhtobias says: Jan 17, 2016 3:09 PM

I like this man playing to win … Arizona has a lot of class that was a clean game by both teams. There will always be crap calls both ways whatever.

The only fan base who will ever blame a loss on officiating is the Vikings. Heck their the ones on this post saying packers this packers that.

Vikings since 1970 believe they have never lost a game only the officiating has.

Arizona and Green Bay played awesome both sides stop complaining about officiating it cheapens the game and makes both teams look like Minnesota fans

93. usdcoyotesfan says: Jan 17, 2016 5:08 PM

Apparently it’s cool for the refs to go out west and rob the Packers ever since the Jerry rice fumble that inexplicably wasn’t. Since then, the Packers have lost to the Cardinals in Arizona on an uncalled face mask (which REALLY reversed their fortunes against the NFC West), the Fail Mary in Seattle, and now last night:

Richard Rodgers having a catch/get up & run stolen from him which turned a 30 yard gain on 3rd down into an incomplete pass (he was also interfered with on that play), 2 blatant holds on the Cardinals’ go-ahead drive, 2 friendly spots on that same drive that spared them 3rd/4th & short, and multiple missed pass interference penalties by the Cardinals. The bad call on the “incomplete” pass was the beginning of a domino series of those other calls, and the Packers likely wouldn’t have even needed the Hail Mary.

94. usdcoyotesfan says: Jan 17, 2016 8:27 PM

So sick of hearing about what a great guy Fitzgerald is. I punked that guy the offseason after his rookie year. While on vacation in Arizona, I was at the lake with family when this clown showed up, started acting like he owned the place, and said he was going to “whoop on everyone” for not giving him “respect.” Him being 6’3″ 220 lbs. and me 6’9″ 280 lbs. I put him in his place very quickly. I’m just glad my cousin who took a video didn’t put it out in cyberspace or anything.

95. powersnatch0102 says: Jan 18, 2016 12:56 AM

Arians is a winner and he did a great job of leading his champions over a weaker packer team. Despite a sloppy game, don’t let the score fool you. Packers are one dimensional and got a few lucky calls (100 yd td return called back) which made the score appear as if the game were close. Packer fans are losers. They lost the nfc north and now will have a long offseason to be losers.