Chargers apply for trademark for “Los Angeles Chargers”

Getty Images

Even if they’re not talking about the meetings, the Chargers are having meetings about moving to Los Angeles.

And that’s not the only thing they’re doing to prepare for a possible departure.

According to Nathan Fenno of the Los Angeles Times, the Chargers have applied to trademark “Los Angeles Chargers” and “LA Chargers.”

The paperwork was filed two days after the Rams’ move to L.A. was approved, with the Chargers given the option to join them.

The application was signed by Chargers’ president of business operations,A.G. Spanos, with NFL senior vice president Anastasia Danias listed as the attorney of record.

Having that name secured will be crucial to making sure they’re able to sell all the stuff they’re going to want to sell when and if they get to L.A., and at least a sign they’re ready to make the move, as San Diegans hold out hope.

94 responses to “Chargers apply for trademark for “Los Angeles Chargers”

1. ……I agree 100%….when you leave a city you’ve been in for over 20 years they should mandate you leave the logo, name and uniform. When the Oilers left Houston the name and logo stayed in Houston.

2. San diego doesn’t deserve a team. outside of the beaches and women, San Diego is a political tire fire. Drive up to see your LA Chargers.

3. Please go Spanos. Tired of watching this organization waddle in mediocrity. What a waste of an NFL franchise. NFL should be ashamed to have this man as 1 of its 32 owners.

4. Do trademarks expire?

The Chargers started out in the AFL as the Los Angeles Chargers way back when in 1960. One would seem to think that the organization would still own the trademark rights to the LA Chargers name.

Seeing that he’s a lawyer, maybe Florio could provide insight.

5. jonathankrobinson424 says:
    Jan 19, 2016 2:21 PM

——————————

They played as the Tennessee Oilers for a couple of seasons.

6. jonathankrobinson424 says:
    Jan 19, 2016 2:21 PM

No, it didn’t. The team was the Tennessee Oilers for at least one year before becoming the Titans.

7. So, does Matt Stover think that the Chargers should pay the players for any and all expenses related to moving to LA?

8. “The San Diego Chargers of Inglewood”. Sort’ve like the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Sort’ve has a nice ring to it. Not!

9. Los Angeles Chargers.. Those soft g’s make it sound more sissy like and lame.
    Leave them as it is or change the name to something more manly in a man’s sport.

10. I suppose the 1960 trademark has expired by now. Of course now that have to add the almighty “shield” instead of the cool AFL logo. The more things change, and all that stuff.

11. I hope Mayor Faulconer doesn’t cave in and give the bumbling, stumbling Spanos family a new stadium after this. Let them go. We’re better off without an NFL team than one run by a family that for most of the last thirty years has looked inept and taken us for granted.

12. Whatever. The greed of the NFL is becoming a big turn off. And the rule changes and officiating aren’t helping.

Looks like my Sundays are gonna be open for golf. Hope the courses are too crowded.

13. Why is there talk about changing the Chargers name? Why not the Rams? The Rams started in Cleveland… The team was named after the Fordham University team in New York. What does that have to do with LA? Can you find any rams in Los Angeles outside of the zoo?

14. I still can not get my head around a football team moving and leaving their fans with nothing. It’s criminal to do that. How can the league let this happen for starters. This is why there will never be a franchise outside of the US which is a good thing because once all the hallabaloo is over they are gone. Milk it and run the NFL WAY. I would love every football fan to say a big NO NO to these moves.

15. I hope they keep the city of San Diego in their name. That way it will always serve as a barb against the City of San Diego for being too cheap to build them a stadium.

After all, you gave the Padres a new Stadium; And their destiny is to forever be a farm club to the other 31 teams in the baseball.

16. The Chargers have a super low rent and get nearly all of the concessions in San Diego. Let Spanos pay a big lease to Kroenke and build a new practice facility in LA. I hope Kroenke keeps all of the parking and concession revenue. Good riddance to a whiny unlikable family!

17. There was an LA vacuum of horrible ownership when Donald Sterling was forced out. Consider your vacuum filled.

18. I really hope this LA thing crashes and burns hard. LA has lots of other sports, sunshine, beaches, and they didn’t go crazy over prior NFL teams. And now they are getting 2 teams that already left town before. Seems crazy.

19. @jonathankrobinson424 The Oilers name and logo did not stay in Houston. They were the Tennessee Oilers for both the 1997 and 1998 seasons. They didn’t become the Titans until 1999.

20. First Donald Sterling. Then Frank McCourt……Now Spanos? How do we keep letting these dudes into SoCal?????

21. A REPORTER IN LA ASKED 15 PEOPLE WHICH TEAM THEY WANTED 12 SAID RAIDERS 3 SAID RAMS AND THE ONES WHO SAID RAMS ALSO ADDED NO CHARGERS.

22. I want San Diego to begin work on an ultra modern new sports stadium immediately.

But inform Spanos it’s not for his team. It’s for whoever replaces him.

San Diego is the 8th largest market in the United States. In a League with 32 teams, 24 of which are in smaller markets, it would not be too difficult to get a new team down the road.

I want Spanos gazing in the direction San Diego with envy and regret as he sits in the half empty stadium in Inglewood.

23. The NFL is lying about wanting a second team in Kroenkeworld. Neither does Kroenke. That’s why there were NO negotiations between Stan and Deano yesterday, only a ‘Take It or Leave It’ offer. There’s too much money at stake for Stan to share.

With every passing day, the second LA team falls further behind the Rams in terms of fan base, ticket sales, marketing, etc… If the initial NFL-approved offer was so good, why didn’t Spanos take it sooner rather than later? Because he can’t partner with such a snake – one that he publicly chastised prior to getting blindsided by the other owners.

Deano is in a tough position. Go to LA to kiss the K-ring, grovel for crumbs and be the 5th or 6th most popular football team in LA, just behind Bishop Amat or crawl back to San Diego where you still have a modicum of leverage?

Why not pool Davis’ Raider money AND Spanos’ Chargers money together and make San Diego the hub of NFL in SoCal.

But wait…could that be San Antonio waving hello in the distance?

24. Officially tossing all of my Charger gear in the trash – right on top of the Spanos family. BTW – those powder blue unis SUCK!!!

25. I love it when rubes in the flyover states get all huffy over West Coast football. It really reveals their insecurity about how California is so much better than where they live.

Their insane logic is:
    “California has lotsa successful things and teams going on, therefore football can’t succeed there.”

I guess you have to live in a landfill to have a successful franchise then. What dump do you rubes live in?

26. The days of the NFL as we knew it have long been over. Its not about how many people go to games. Its not about loyal fans who spend a lifetime living and dying each Sunday with their team. Its about how much money the NFL and the owners can make. The King of California ( stan) started this mess. The relocation process is a sham. The NFL plotted this and will get exactly what they want. The King of California and Dean in LA. Davis to SD. The fans in STL and Oakland don’t deserve what has happened. SD , at least you will have a team. Goofy owner but if he gets out of the way , the team may be pretty good.

27. “Just keep calling them the San Diego Chargers and let them play in LA. I mean two NY teams play in NJ so who cares.”

Not… even close to the same thing.

28. dkhhuey says:
    Jan 19, 2016 4:27 PM
    _____
    I thought I was the only one on Earth that hated those things. Every time the Chargers break them out, all the talking heads devolve into Jell-O gushing about how great they are. I never got it.

So if they’re applying for the trademark, this means it’s a done deal, right?

29. Magic Johnson buying Rams season tickets says it all. Billy Crystal won’t even buy Charger single game tickets let alone season tickets. I believe they move and sell the team within 18 months. I used to hate the Raiders but with the shananigans the Spanos family has pulled. I will welcome the Raiders with open arms if they have the name of my city in front of their name. Cant believe how dumb smart people can be sometimes. Money talks. And fans walk

30. The Los Angeles Rams of Inglewood and The Los Angeles Chargers formerly of San Diego (to sentimentally pay homage to Air Coryell or whatever the hell).

31. You have the Santa Clara 49ers in the Bay. Why not the LA Chargers? Oh wait they still call themselves San Francisco….The train wreck franchise in the Bay Area.

32. I have lived in SD since 2000 and in seems that the Chargers have been trying to get a stadium built here since I got here. I for one do not blame the owner if he does move his franchise.

I’m not gonna assign blame one way or another. the way I see it this would be pure business. the Chargers want to make their franchise more valuable (who wouldn’t want that), and the citizens of San Diego don’t want to pay millions of tax dollars on a stadium for a billionaire.

33. “Just keep calling them the San Diego Chargers and let them play in LA. I mean two NY teams play in NJ so who cares.”

Uh, do you even know how far San Diego is from LA, especially in traffic?

That would be almost (120 miles vs 130 miles) like calling the Eagles the Washington DC Eagles of Philadelphia.

34. IT doesn’t make sense to move two teams to the same market at the same time! How can these super rich and supposedly intelligent billionaires not understand how this is such a bad idea?
    Seems like everyone else knows the truth yet they’re just immune to common sense!

35. whoever owns the domain name lachargers.com/losangeleschargers.com is about to get paid!!!! and it looks like its the same owner.
    _______________

Doubtful. The Chargers own “chargers.com”. They don’t need lachargers.com or losangeleschargers.com no more than the Bucs need tampabaybuccaneers.com since they own “buccaneers.com”. Whomever owns “rams.com” or “larams.com” is the one getting paid since the Rams only have “stlouisrams.com” which doesn’t work for obvious reasons.

36. Will they still have to pay a relocation fee? If they do have to pay the proposed $550 million, it just seems bad business to pay that to be somebody’s tenant.
    Why not try and sell to a group that is willing to stay in San Diego and the cost of a stadium is required to purchase in addition to purchase price.

37. Kroenke probably beat them to the trademark name. Now he will fight them for it. Then he will sue them

38. “golfdaddy1961 says:
    Jan 19, 2016 2:40 PM
    Oilers took the name with them. Bud Adams was not only a fashion and hairstyle trainwreck, but a spiteful and vindictive jerk to boot”

Well, as the owner of the team, he does also own (maybe partly, the NFL likley has a stake, too) the team name, logo, etc., so it’s his to do with what he likes. IIRC, the Oilers name, logo, etc. was retired, so it can never be used again.

39. And you thought the “Save our Bolts” was something. Wait til the populace organizes to keep the raiders and their trashy fans from America’s Finest City.

Like Oakland, San Diego doesn’t want the raiders.

40. I’ve had a team robbed from my home state (Vikings fan … had the North Stars taken) and I’m heavily against relocation. However, I just don’t get the issue of anyone being upset if the Chargers move to LA. I’ve been in San Diego and LA on vacation. I’ve driven between the two cities enough. It really isn’t that far. Another poster said 120-130 miles? That’s nothing! I realize there s traffic, but you plan ahead. I currently live in Milwaukee. People drive 2-3 hours up to Green Bay (adding that in for traffic) for games. What’s the difference? The Chargers stay in California and are close enough to still retain their fans. I don’t get why anyone is upset.

41. butlers91 says:
    Jan 19, 2016 3:57 PM
    .————————————————————————————————————
    You sound bitter, jealous and angry…just like a little girl. Pull your man drawz up

42. mrthumbs says:
    Jan 19, 2016 3:23 PM

I just applied for LA Chockers
    ————————

What is a Chocker?

43. Please just stay in San Diego. Paying a $550 million relocation fee to playing in front of 20,000 fans would be super dumb. The trademark thing is just to scare people and to gain leverage for a new stadium in San Diego, I hope.

If the Chargers do move they should be rebranded with a new name, logo, and uniforms. I think Los Angeles Cobras or Dragons would work. “Chargers” just isn’t marketable in Los Angeles. Let’s hope it doesn’t come down to this. STAY IN SAN DIEGO!!!!!

44. jcphitman says:
    Jan 19, 2016 8:22 PM
    ______________________________________
    Spot on. Plenty of fans from NH, Maine and Vermont make the trek to Foxboro. Best point in this thread.

45. I’m in favor of them leaving the name and colors behind. If they come to LA as the Chargers, they’ll be a second tier attraction like the Clippers. They need to rebrand.