Larry Fitzgerald joins some elite postseason company

GLENDALE, AZ - JANUARY 16:  Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald #11 of the Arizona Cardinals scores the game winning touchdown in overtime of the NFC Divisional Playoff Game against the Green Bay Packers at University of Phoenix Stadium on January 16, 2016 in Glendale, Arizona. The Arizona Cardinals beat the Green Bay Packers 26-20.  (Photo by Norm Hall/Getty Images) Getty Images

Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald has taken a place in the NFL record book alongside some elite, Hall of Fame company with his postseason performance on Saturday.

When Fitzgerald raced 75 yards on the first play of overtime against the Packers, it took him over 100 yards for the game. That was Fitzgerald’s fifth 100-yard postseason game. In NFL history, only Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin have more than five 100-yard postseason games; Rice had eight and Irvin had six.

And when Fitzgerald subsequently scored the game-winning touchdown against the Packers, it was his 10th career receiving touchdown in the postseason. Only Rice and John Stallworth have more than 10 postseason receiving touchdowns; Stallworth had 12 and Rice had 22, a record that may never be broken.

Fitzgerald has done all that while playing in just eight career postseason games. Rice played in 29 career postseason games, Stallworth played in 18 and Irvin played in 16. Fitzgerald hasn’t always been on good teams, but when he gets to the playoffs, he always delivers.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Larry Fitzgerald joins some elite postseason company”
  1. suhmonster90 says: Jan 19, 2016 6:44 AM

Playoff Fitzgerald is on another level.

2. joetoronto says: Jan 19, 2016 6:47 AM

He’s an amazing player who’s had an amazing career and he’s done it with class, he’s done it without being a diva.

Hats off to Fitz.

3. screamingsheep69 says: Jan 19, 2016 6:47 AM

True professional, and one of the greatest ever. Just hate the Panthers are going to ruin his dreams this weekend.

4. bmorepositive123 says: Jan 19, 2016 7:01 AM

Jerry Rice had 22 post season tds in the rushing era. Amazing

5. ineptguy8 says: Jan 19, 2016 7:05 AM

I think it is fair to wonder what he would have been capable of if he wasn’t stuck with some miserable QBs for most of his career. I am not a fan of the Cardinals, so I don’t follow them all that closely, but it seems like any time they have some stability at QB, Fitzgerald is near unstoppable.

6. patsfiend says: Jan 19, 2016 7:06 AM

Rice. Wow.

7. cakesw says: Jan 19, 2016 7:19 AM

Hail Larry !

As a Cardinal fan….you couldn’t ask for a better representative for the team.

8. tdubdizzle says: Jan 19, 2016 7:24 AM

Fitzgerald is clutch.

9. tdubdizzle says: Jan 19, 2016 7:24 AM

10. projectshadow316 says: Jan 19, 2016 7:25 AM

Just imagine how high his totals would be if he didn’t play on so many crap teams.

11. vikingdoode says: Jan 19, 2016 7:34 AM

Watching a living HOFer play

12. dynastyposeiden says: Jan 19, 2016 7:39 AM

he was a hall of famer already but taking the game over saturday night cemented his status as an all time great in my opinion . He nearly stole super bowl 43 from my steelers and this performance was just as epic just a bit smaller stage.

13. buckstalion12965 says: Jan 19, 2016 7:39 AM

It’s too bad that he had such crappy qbs for most of his career….other than a handful with Warner & Palmer.

14. skinsgal4life says: Jan 19, 2016 8:03 AM

Larry, I love you! I’m a Cardinals fan just because of you. Classy, cool guy. I hope you and your teammates get the Super Bowl 50 win.

15. kitmandew says: Jan 19, 2016 8:06 AM

He’s the biggest concern when the Cards come to town this weekend…. We still believe that we can win in a shootout if it comes to that (highest scoring offense) but hope our D has a good plan for him if there is such a thing. Let’s go Panthers! Keep Pounding!

16. bosco264 says: Jan 19, 2016 8:16 AM

Not to mention a class act off the field as well.

17. Rdog says: Jan 19, 2016 8:36 AM

That’s pretty good when you consider that the Arizona Cardinals aren’t exactly a consistent playoff team.

18. justinhaugen says: Jan 19, 2016 8:38 AM

Larry has to be in the discussion for top 3 WR’s all-time right?

19. braddavery says: Jan 19, 2016 8:39 AM

20. jagsfanugh says: Jan 19, 2016 8:45 AM

21. diveleft says: Jan 19, 2016 8:57 AM

But two of those games were against the Packers D, so big numbers should have been expected in those games. Still impressive stats though.

22. leatherface2012 says: Jan 19, 2016 9:01 AM

im not sure he scored on that shovel pass..i mean did he get the ball notarized and have the pope bless it?

23. jetstizzi85 says: Jan 19, 2016 9:02 AM

Absolutely NOTHING is “expected” once you reach the playoffs. Different atmosphere and different season

24. jobotjones says: Jan 19, 2016 9:07 AM

Loved seeing him get the W and celebrate.

Much deserved for a legendary talent.

25. bspurloc says: Jan 19, 2016 9:19 AM

He is a beast…
    everyone thought he was washed up…
    imagine if he was on the Pats?

26. clbrwns says: Jan 19, 2016 9:28 AM

A decent human being playing WR. Love it. Larry – if you can find Josh Gordon can you please reach out and help him out?

27. mikeed575 says: Jan 19, 2016 9:33 AM

Everyone praises him, Brandon Marshall is a better receiver who had a string below average qbs besides cutler. Fitz is top 10 but will never be top 3. Rice, Moss and Owens it’s not even a debate.

28. streetyson says: Jan 19, 2016 9:46 AM

Fitz is great, but the article leaves out that a few others are on that list at 10 career postseason TDs: Fred Biletnikoff,, Antonio Freeman, Randy Moss, and Hines Ward – Fitz, however, could easily get another 3 this postseason and overtake Stallworth’s 12.

Just as a playoffs side note: Gronk is now on 8 postseason TDs (in 9 games, 6yrs), and is now the all-time leader for tight-ends (Dave Casper and Vernon Davis had 7).

29. streetyson says: Jan 19, 2016 9:53 AM

P.S. those TE stats I gave are all for TD receptions too, not rushes.

30. annekayeantiques says: Jan 19, 2016 10:08 AM

classy guy

31. joetoronto says: Jan 19, 2016 10:38 AM

tdubdizzle says:
    Jan 19, 2016 7:24 AM
    Buddy, you don’t need the question mark, seriously.

32. summitmech says: Jan 19, 2016 10:40 AM

Vikings fan here. Obviously I was rooting for the Cardinals.

Just awesome to see a Minnesota native take out the Pack, and in such dominant fashion.

33. Flyover States Hate West Coast Winners says: Jan 19, 2016 10:54 AM

What’s also amazing is that he hasn’t lost much speed or cutting ability, despite playing for 12 years now.

34. goodguyattorney says: Jan 19, 2016 11:00 AM

I’m not a Cards fan but Larry has always been one of my favorite players in the NFL. I pulled for the Cards in the SB really hard because of Larry (and because it involved the Steelers). Truly a class act and truly sad that he hasn’t had a QB for at least half of his career. And he has never complained.

35. alphadux2u says: Jan 19, 2016 11:03 AM

Fitz is an absolute class act. Great role model at a position usually occupied by me-first divas. I tip my hat to you sir.

On a side note, Rice’s stats really are mind-boggling. Especially considering he wasn’t nearly as physically gifted as many of these present day receivers. He kept himself healthy, had a long career and was fortunate to have two HOF quarterbacks throwing to him. His numbers are double, sometimes triple other career HOF WRs numbers. His career was a remarkable perfect storm.

36. MostlyRight says: Jan 19, 2016 11:21 AM

All these seasons and still a role model to all the younger Cardinals in getting in early and leaving late.

My wife works at Phoenix Children’s hospital and the guy puts a ton of extra time in there. Class act.

37. goawayeverybody says: Jan 19, 2016 11:39 AM

The Panthers will choke this weekend. You can write it down.

38. ratsfoiledagain says: Jan 19, 2016 11:41 AM

Larry is the only reason I would like the Cards to win the SB this year. I’ve always liked the way he played the game. He’s a bit of a throw back player. He’s never had the diva mentality that you’ve seen over the past 15 or so years with many receivers.

Go get that ring Larry!

A Seahawk fan…

39. patsfan1820 says: Jan 19, 2016 11:43 AM

Best wide receiver left in the playoffs by far and one of the best to play the game. Glad I was able to watch him play.

40. The Almighty Cabbage says: Jan 19, 2016 12:04 PM

If one of my grandsons were to say to me “Grandpa, I wanna grow up and be a wide receiver, just like Larry Fitzgerald” I’d give him a pat on the back and tell him I think that sounds like a fine plan.

If one of my grandsons were to say to me “Grandpa, I wanna grow up and be a wide receiver, just like Dez Bryant” I’d put my foot in his arse.

That in itself is the highest compliment I can pay to any professional athlete. I’m sure it seems all kinds of corny to many of the young bucks among you, but the old guys will understand.

41. allight59 says: Jan 19, 2016 12:05 PM

Hail Larry beat the Hail Mary….

42. icebowler says: Jan 19, 2016 12:21 PM

I’m just glad the Cards never gave in to trading him to his Viking boyhood dream team, for which he was a ball boy.

43. packmanfan says: Jan 19, 2016 12:26 PM

Just why in the heck is one of the best receivers in all of football left wide open like that with the game on the line? There is no excuse for that. None. You put a guy on him for every play. Especially in OT.

Congrats Packers. You have succeeded in never again giving this Packers fan anymore hope for you in any more games. I’ll still be a fan but I cannot expect you to ever win again at the way you guys are terrible when it comes to the play offs. You will have to prove yourselves that you are not overrated.

44. Ananda says: Jan 19, 2016 12:37 PM

Larry is demonstrative of what professional sports should represent…. To hear from his competitors fan base like this validates this fact.

Personally I find it difficult to watch the NBA, MLB, and many other professional sporting events given the juvenile behavior of millionaires… Larry is a leader on this Cardinal team on a consciousness level, and it is this energetic that makes the team a pleasure to follow.

PS – Coach BA, Carson, and Mr. Bidwell s/b included within this leadership capacity as well…!

45. wartface says: Jan 19, 2016 2:39 PM

Larry lives life like he should… He works hard. He respects the game and others. He mentors those that want to steal his job and teaches them how to be men.

He is the CLASSIEST guy in the NFL bar none.๐Ÿ‘Œ

46. bullcharger says: Jan 19, 2016 2:49 PM

Fitzgerald is a special player. He stuck it out in Arizona and has had some amazing years, but he really had some tough times in his prime where his QB wasn’t very good. Otherwise his records would be closer to Rice.

All class and will go to the HOF.

BTW… as much respect as I have for Montana, people have to acknowledge that two of his Super Bowls were on the back of the greatest player the game has ever seen, Jerry Rice. I mean, come on, 22 TDs in the playoffs. That’s insane.

47. bullcharger says: Jan 19, 2016 2:59 PM

mikeed575 says:
    Jan 19, 2016 9:33 AM

Everyone praises him, Brandon Marshall is a better receiver who had a string below average qbs besides cutler. Fitz is top 10 but will never be top 3. Rice, Moss and Owens itโ€™s not even a debate.

Can’t debate Rice, but you can certainly debate Moss and Owens.

The point of the sport is to win and Moss and Owens, despite their amazing stats, didn’t contribute to wins the way some other WRs did. I would take The Playmaker over both of them.

48. mccallumjohn says: Jan 19, 2016 8:34 PM

To think, what he has done in just 8 playoff games! If he hadn’t gotten to a few more of them he would maybe threaten Jerry Rice’s records?
    As for the great Jerry Rice, when you think about the era he played in (rushing era) the defense’s were built to stop the run, not the pass! It was Bill Walsh who ushered into the passing era? But, even so. Amazing!!!