Jared Allen practicing in effort to play on broken foot

during the NFC Divisional Playoff Game at Bank of America Stadium on January 17, 2016 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Getty Images

Jared Allen has done a lot of things in his career, but he’s never played in a Super Bowl.

So he’s not going to let a broken bone in his foot stop him from trying to get there.

According to Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review, the Panthers veteran defensive end is practicing today, as he tries to see if he’s able to play Sunday night against the Cardinals.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera has said all week Allen is doubtful, after breaking a small bone in his foot late in last week’s win over the Seahawks. And beyond that, he wants to make sure Allen can be effective, beyond just getting on the field, as pass-rushers are going to be at a premium against the Cardinals.

So how much Allen does today will be a good indication of whether he’s able to play.

The 33-year-old Allen has 136.0 career sacks, but just 2.0 of them came with the Panthers this year after coming over in trade with the Bears.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Jared Allen practicing in effort to play on broken foot”
  1. Kelly's Chronicles says: Jan 21, 2016 12:28 PM

Pay attention Ben Roethlisberger. This is how a real man handles injuries without drawing attention to himself

2. sundog05 says: Jan 21, 2016 12:44 PM

There are lots of accidental incidents of stepping on feet at the LOS. “wink wink”.

3. cutch35 says: Jan 21, 2016 12:46 PM

Kelly’s Chronicles says:
    Jan 21, 2016 12:28 PM
    ——————————————————————
    Is Jared Allen supposed to not practice to see if he’s capable of playing on it? Its not like he’s bragging about it himself (yet, at least). He could just spend all week on radios shows making it sound like its impacting him more than it is:
    “I have torn ligaments in addition to a sprain”
    …throws 50 yards on first play of game

4. cutch35 says: Jan 21, 2016 12:48 PM

@Kelly’s Chronicles….and i’m an idiot. I thought you said pay attention TO Ben Roethisberger. I apologize

5. mikefresh1987 says: Jan 21, 2016 12:50 PM

I just had surgery yesterday on the same injury that Allen is suffering from the jones fracture and it’s tough one to mess with I couldn’t even walk on my foot so more power to you mr allen

6. phluffyclouds says: Jan 21, 2016 12:54 PM

Give me a fresh Addison, Ealy, Horton and CJ over a banged up old DE.

Gotta love Jared Allen, but he’s a shell of his former self…

7. Kelly's Chronicles says: Jan 21, 2016 1:00 PM

No worries cutch35. When I reread it I could see how that misunderstanding could happen

8. ron843 says: Jan 21, 2016 1:08 PM

Jared is a pure warrior, just like the many Marines in his family.
    No attention getting, just a basic fighter.

9. pillowporkers says: Jan 21, 2016 1:26 PM

I’d like to see Jared get a Super Bowl. The guy is fun to watch. Gives 110% every play.

10. gtodriver says: Jan 21, 2016 1:35 PM

As a Vikings fan, I got to watch Allen play in his prime.

Wishing him nothing but the best!

11. aavengern7 says: Jan 21, 2016 1:46 PM

Numb it up and let’s go play smash mouth!!!!

12. Kelly's Chronicles says: Jan 21, 2016 1:50 PM

I am a Packer fan and I want to see this guy get his ring. So many classic battles with him and Brett Favre. Warriors going all out and giving their best.

13. vikings1234 says: Jan 21, 2016 1:51 PM

I think he probably needs a second opinion on the injury. Is Dr. Jerrah Jones available?

14. whatjusthapped says: Jan 21, 2016 1:54 PM

As a Viking, he had a habit of disappearing in the big games so at less than full speed, I don’t think Panther fans can expect much.

15. hairpie2 says: Jan 21, 2016 1:58 PM

Thats the way anyone that wears 69 should present themselves.

16. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Jan 21, 2016 2:00 PM

Jack Youngblood Part Deaux!

If he makes it to the Superbowl on a bum wheel, it will carry on Youngblood’s legacyfrom 1979’s big game. I was there!

17. wafflestomp says: Jan 21, 2016 2:24 PM

It’s great to see a pro like Allen have an opportunity to achieve Football greatness.
    There’s nothing better than an NFL Championship.
    The honor, the glory, nobody can ever take that away from you.

It’s a distinct, upper echelon achievement that he was never going to get in Minnesota.
    Very pleased to see him have that chance in Carolina.

18. goodguyattorney says: Jan 21, 2016 2:35 PM

Jack Youngblood approves.

19. vetdana says: Jan 21, 2016 2:39 PM

Do any of these commenters ever watch Allens play ?
    He was great in Minn. but …was a bust in Chicago and is not showing much here which, will no doubt be his last stop.

20. purpleguy says: Jan 21, 2016 2:50 PM

Good guy, and I hope he gets his ring, but he’s only useful now if his snaps are limited. More important, his rush game isn’t based upon power, so if his mobility is limited by the foot injury, he won’t be worth much the rest of the way.

21. qdog112 says: Jan 21, 2016 3:28 PM

I would take a young healthy body over Allen with a broken foot. Rivera has hinted at doing just that, by stating that it’s not about beginning the game, but playing the entire game.

22. maalea says: Jan 21, 2016 3:35 PM

Is it just me or does he look totally out of place in that uniform?

23. jgedgar70 says: Jan 21, 2016 3:36 PM

He doesn’t have sacks, but he can be extremely disruptive with the pass rush and in screen pass coverage, if he’s healthy. I hope he is, but if he’s not, we’ll get the next man up and hopefully play in the Super Bowl, with Allen at full strength.

24. arzcardinals says: Jan 21, 2016 6:25 PM

I’ll take Veldheer on him all day. He won’t sniff Carson.

25. njraiderfan19 says: Jan 21, 2016 7:49 PM

You would have to be one seriously tough hombre to even run on a Jones fracture. I can tell you how much it hurt to just walk off the field with one. Talk about wanting that ring in a big way!

26. vikingforlife says: Jan 22, 2016 7:38 AM

Best of luck to you, Jared, go get ’em!!!!