Kathryn Smith gracious, anxious for coaching opportunity

getPart

The NFL’s first full-time female coach will have an on-field role with the Bills.

After seven years in an administrative role with the team, Kathryn Smith was named quality control-special teams coach by the Bills Wednesday. Bills Coach Rex Ryan said Smith will be on the field for practices and games and will help run the scout team during practices.

Thursday, Smith thanked Ryan and team owners Terry and Kim Pegula for the oppportunity.

“The amount of attention generated from this announcement in the past 24 hours has been extraordinary,” Smith said in a statement. “However, my focus remains on my job responsibilities and helping the team win.

“I would like to thank my family and friends for all their support. It’s a tremendous honor to become the first full-time female assistant coach in the National Football League and I appreciate Rex Ryan giving me this opportunity based on the merit of my work and commitment to this organization.”

The Bills officially announced her hiring Wednesday night.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Kathryn Smith gracious, anxious for coaching opportunity”
  1. mataug says: Jan 21, 2016 6:55 PM

cannot imagine how inspiring she would be to her immediately family & friends, every parent who may have doubts about letting their daughter work in their field of interest be it sports or engineering or any non-traditional role for women can use a role model for their kid

2. carloswlassiter says: Jan 21, 2016 7:02 PM

“I appreciate Rex Ryan giving me this opportunity based on the merit of my work”
    ————————————————————
    Was the same criterion used in the Rob Ryan hire?

3. mr1drful says: Jan 21, 2016 7:08 PM

I thought she’d be hotter.

4. brazy44 says: Jan 21, 2016 7:09 PM

She better wear steel toed shoes to work everyday if she knows what’s good for her.

5. footballchamp says: Jan 21, 2016 7:14 PM

Great job by Rex and the Bills. A quality hire is a quality hire.

I hope this leads to other qualified people being hired as well, regardless of their gender.

6. billsthicknthin says: Jan 21, 2016 7:23 PM

I think she’s a quality hire… I’m just tired of pillaging the entire Jets players and staff that the Bills lit up in 2014 with Doug Marrone coaching against Rex Ryan.

7. zuzus petals says: Jan 21, 2016 7:25 PM

That’s awesome. My daughter spends more hours designing plays on Madden than playing the actual games. She is over the moon about this hire and already thinking she could coach someday. Thanks Rex. Congratulations Kathryn!

8. kev86 says: Jan 21, 2016 7:25 PM

Flip flop Friday’s !

9. Moudabo says: Jan 21, 2016 7:32 PM

I think that’s great. Good for the Bills org and
    Rex for giving her this opportunity.
    Good luck to Kathryn Smith as she follows
    her dreams, and takes on this next challenge.

10. ctiggs says: Jan 21, 2016 8:02 PM

bad hire

11. youdrivemenutseagles says: Jan 21, 2016 8:18 PM

zuzus petals says:
    Jan 21, 2016 7:25 PM

—————

That’s cute! Here’s to her dream one day coming true!

12. criticaldsj says: Jan 21, 2016 8:21 PM

I’m happy for the hire. Quality Control positions in particular are evolving into heavy data crunching/situational analysis positions and there’s no reason that role needs to be tailored toward a specific gender.

I just hope she wasn’t hired because she was the only candidate that wore open toed shoes to the interview.

13. pastabelly says: Jan 21, 2016 8:24 PM

She must have nice feet.

14. daytontriangles says: Jan 21, 2016 8:26 PM

I hope she doesn’t end up becoming Rex Ryan’s Achilles Heel.

15. nflofficeadmin says: Jan 21, 2016 8:27 PM

Well done. There is still a lot of progress to be made within other areas as well. For example, female NFL bloggers/writers still aren’t being given the opportunities of their male counterparts. Same goes for the transgender coaches and bloggers.

16. NRG Stadium's Wonky Grass says: Jan 21, 2016 8:35 PM

Here’s the thing man: women are smarter than men. They know it. We know it. There’s no reason they can’t be football coaches.

17. nothingman says: Jan 21, 2016 9:07 PM

Great, now criticizing the Bills will be sexist.

In all seriousness, congrats to Kathryn Smith. I thought there were already female coaches, maybe those are staff and/or medical personnel on the sidelines.

18. joecool16280 says: Jan 21, 2016 9:10 PM

Pretty cool move by Rex. Go away bigots.

19. fantom21 says: Jan 21, 2016 9:13 PM

“It’s a tremendous honor to become the first full-time female assistant coach in the National Football League.”

Jen Welter can’t be too happy with this part of the quote. lol

20. rodge1 says: Jan 21, 2016 9:16 PM

She’s probably wondering why Rex is making her wear open-toed shoes all the time… Bad joke aside, wish her the best.

21. wtfru2 says: Jan 21, 2016 9:22 PM

Her face may not be great, but I’ll bet her feet are gorgeous!

22. macdega says: Jan 21, 2016 9:38 PM

Cigs with a brilliant, well thought out statement.

23. rcali says: Jan 21, 2016 10:00 PM

You know the Rams are going to hire Bruce Jenner to one up the Bills.

24. suhmonster90 says: Jan 21, 2016 11:07 PM

She looks like a younger Rob Ryan.

25. nkings says: Jan 21, 2016 11:34 PM

As a male I am very concerned. Allowing women to coach will show NFL executives that they are indeed smarter than us. Bye bye coaching jobs. Seriously, love this. Good for you Buffalo Bills.

26. edithpiaf51 says: Jan 22, 2016 12:44 AM

Congratulations to Kathryn and kudos to the Bills for breaking the gender barrier and the glass ceiling.

27. braczey29 says: Jan 22, 2016 11:34 AM

It’s genuinely American-ly stupid and illogical. I agree it’s great for women at a glance but she is destined to fail. Women’s integration into the military IS A FAILURE – look at the thousands of suppressed rape cases, system of abuse, and mistreatment because TV, media says being a mother is a man’s plan to dominate, suppress and acting like a man is a great idea for girl’s future. Maybe for some that’s a good idea. You want to help your daughter? Be real, tell her to stay away from football jobs – they don’t suit her strengths as a women. Hell, tell your sons to play soccer too, they’ll live longer.

28. midenginerearwheeldrive says: Jan 22, 2016 12:15 PM

Of course she should be gracious. She was an intern and an admin. An admin as recently as 2014. She was a ‘student manager’ of her college team just a few short years ago. Oh wait, that was the basketball team.

She’s never played organized football a day in her life. She’s 30 years old. She’s never coached an NFL, college, high school or youth football team. She’s replacing someone who was a former NFL player.

She should be extremely gracious because she has been hired for a job others are considerably more qualified for.

Think about that Bills fans and social justice warriors. You have a ‘coach’ who will be on the field running special teams scout teams who has never played or more importantly, coached a down of football at any level in her entire life.

And I thought the Bears were dumb for hiring a MAN who was a head coach in the CFL.

29. midenginerearwheeldrive says: Jan 22, 2016 12:38 PM

footballchamp says:
    Jan 21, 2016 7:14 PM
    Great job by Rex and the Bills. A quality hire is a quality hire.

61 36
    ________

So a 30 year old person who has never played the game at any level and has never coached the game at any level, but will be on the field ‘running special teams scout teams’ is a quality hire?

I’m not a Bills fan, but silly me, I’d prefer to have the teams I root for to hire coaches (in ANY role) that oh, I don’t know, have some sort of coaching experience at some level.

Again think about that – we are talking about a person who has NEVER coached a pro team, let alone a high school or college team. I wouldn’t want my team’s staff to feature that – male or female.

30. midenginerearwheeldrive says: Jan 22, 2016 12:39 PM

zuzus petals says:
    Jan 21, 2016 7:25 PM

Yes because designing plays on a video game totally applies here.

31. djshnooks says: Jan 22, 2016 1:03 PM

Are you an idiot? She’s been in the NFL for years now. Her job is to compile data and relay it to the special teams coach and Rex.

You should go read what a QCC is before you spout off about something you don’t know.

And you might want to check facts too.