Chiefs will market in St. Louis

Zz04Njk2ZDkzOGYzNjY5ZmYyOTc5YmZiNWYxMGIwMDY5Ng==-1 Getty Images

Two weeks ago, Missouri had two NFL teams. It now has one. And the one still left hopes to draw fans from the other side of the state.

But the Kansas City Chiefs will tread lightly in St. Louis, out of respect for a fan base still recovering from the relocation of the Rams.

“I’ve gotten texts and emails from fans saying I’m now a Chiefs fan, and we appreciate all that,” team president Mark Donovan said, via Terez A. Paylor of the Kansas City Star. “But we’re going to take a strategic approach to that — we’re going to be respectful. They’ve been through a really tough process. We’re going to continue to do what we do, and we think with the success we’re having on the field and the success we’re having off the field, it creates a great opportunity for us.”

The Colts also have welcomed Rams fans to Indianapolis, and the Chiefs hope that their games will be televised more frequently in the now-vacant market.

“We’re in conversations right now with the league on how the league’s going to look at that, and we’ll make our case there,” Donovan said.

Coincidentally (or not), Chiefs owner Clark Hunt was the only member of the Committee on L.A. Opportunities to vote against allowing the Chargers and Raiders sharing space in Carson. Which opened the door for letting the Rams leaves St. Louis for Los Angeles.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Los Angeles Rams, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
53 Responses to “Chiefs will market in St. Louis”
  1. mf7krime says: Jan 23, 2016 1:01 PM

Well alright then.

2. starfan79 says: Jan 23, 2016 1:02 PM

They should do part of their training camp there, rent the stadium and give free entry to new fans and start building the fan base up

3. riverace19 says: Jan 23, 2016 1:03 PM

How do you lose 2 NFL teams in 30 years? Live in St. Louis!! Do Chiefs fans even want them?

4. keylimelight says: Jan 23, 2016 1:03 PM

” Chiefs owner Clark Hunt was the only member of the Committee on L.A. Opportunities to vote against allowing the Chargers and Raiders sharing space in Carson. Which opened the door for letting the Rams leaves St. Louis for Los Angeles.”

_________________

….we’re going to be respectful…so that the St. Lou fans won’t notice that we just want the money they can bring in for us.

5. mrbgood315 says: Jan 23, 2016 1:05 PM

If my Bills were to ever move, there’s exactly a 0% chance I’d ever become a Jets or Giants fan. I’d be done with the league and enjoy my newfound freedom on Sunday’s.

6. slick50ks says: Jan 23, 2016 1:09 PM

As a Chiefs fan, I will not be welcoming the worst fan base in organized sports (outside of the faiders).

#stlootis

7. ilikethefalcons says: Jan 23, 2016 1:09 PM

Why not have a home game in St. Louis once a year? Start with the pre-season and go from there. Green Bay used to play multiple games in Milwaukee when they couldn’t sell out Lambeau.

8. sidelinecameraman says: Jan 23, 2016 1:13 PM

Oh no, no more governors cup….

9. icebowler says: Jan 23, 2016 1:16 PM

I would think a good number of fans will gravitate to the Bears as well. The Bears probably now regret building such a low capacity stadium.

10. sinsor1373 says: Jan 23, 2016 1:17 PM

They don’t worry about selling out Arrowhead, try getting tickets to a game. This about tv marketing and merchandise sales.

11. buhbay1c says: Jan 23, 2016 1:22 PM

Speaking as a Vikings fan, had they ever moved I decided I’d become a Browns fan. Felt I could relate to them, and misery loves company!

12. thesmartest1 says: Jan 23, 2016 1:26 PM

All about money and little else.

13. fantom21 says: Jan 23, 2016 1:43 PM

Off topic: division realignment. Cowboys to the AFC South, Colts to the AFC North, Ravens to the NFC East.
    New York, Philly, Baltimore, D.C makes too much sense, as does
    Indy, Cincy, Cleveland, Pittsburgh.

14. thefox61 says: Jan 23, 2016 1:58 PM

When the SuperSonics left Seattle I gave up on the NBA. I can’t bring myself to root for the Trailblazers even though they are the only team in the NW and are owned by Paul Allen.
    If the Seahawks were to leave, which nearly happened in 1996, I wouldn’t be able to cheer for the Seahawks, much less another team.

15. BIG RED says: Jan 23, 2016 2:15 PM

As a resident of the City of St. Louis, I can tell you that no one who lives here cares about the Chiefs.

I’m not even sure why there is such a big disconnect, either.

I suspect it’s because we have always been an NFC city, so they have never been a rival, or even a frequent opponent.

Either way, marketing them here will not work.

16. fordmandalay says: Jan 23, 2016 2:16 PM

Why would the Chiefs want St. Louis fans? Clearly St. Louis is a terrible football town, with fans who don’t support their teams. Look at how many teams have left the city now! Just like Cleveland, Baltimore, Chicago, New York… all terrible football towns that lost teams.

17. staffordsyear says: Jan 23, 2016 2:19 PM

slick50ks says:
    Jan 23, 2016 1:09 PM

#stlootis
    ^
    Apparently you have never met a Vikings fan.

18. corvusrex96 says: Jan 23, 2016 2:28 PM

The redskins tried the same thing when the Baltimore Colts left , it didn’t go over well , eventually many people followed the steelers eagles and Dolphins

19. vegasgreek says: Jan 23, 2016 2:43 PM

now the raiders have no home and got back stabbed in the LA deal. i’ll bet any money the sleazebag jealous owners wanted them contracted and to become dust in the wind unless mark davis sells the team. dean spanos for sure will move to LA and the raiders will be left to fend for themselves because it cost way more than 100 million to build a stadium.

20. Teddy BustH20's House of Noodles says: Jan 23, 2016 2:51 PM

——————–
    Playing in Milwaukee had nothing to do with not selling out Lambeau. They always split games between both cities, even before Lambeau was even built.

21. Teddy BustH20's House of Noodles says: Jan 23, 2016 2:53 PM

They don’t worry about selling out Arrowhead, try getting tickets to a game.
    ————-
    It’s not about them worrying about selling out Arrowhead, it’s about driving more demand. If the demand gets even higher, they can gouge fans for more money by raising ticket prices even higher.

22. Teddy BustH20's House of Noodles says: Jan 23, 2016 2:58 PM

—————-
    I think they regret building a stadium that looks like a UFO crashed into their historic stadium.

23. vader3234 says: Jan 23, 2016 4:21 PM

Well lucky for the fans in St Louis the Rams gave them a Super Bowl. Something the Chiefs haven’t even smelled in 55 long years.

24. stlstallions says: Jan 23, 2016 4:44 PM

vader3234 | Jan 23, 2016, 3:21 PM CST
    —————————————————–

I guess the Chiefs were holding their nose in 1969 when they won Super Bowl lV.

Smarmy is not effective when you are uninformed, Darth!

25. jbaxt says: Jan 23, 2016 4:44 PM

Ya congrats on the super bowl… It only proves how pitiful the fan base is. St Louis fans are your typical flavor of the week fan. No loyalty, can’t get through the rough years, and won’t go to games. Seeing the empty seats there, every game, is part of the reason the NFL is exploring games in London. But ya, you got a Super Bowl. Who gets credit for it now though, LA? Posers!

26. stlstallions says: Jan 23, 2016 4:46 PM

vader3234 | Jan 23, 2016, 3:21 PM CST
    ___________________

The Chiefs held their noses in 1969 when they won Super Bowl IV. Smarmy comments are ineffective when you are uninformed, Darth!

27. dogfromduckhunt says: Jan 23, 2016 4:49 PM

So this is what free agency is like.

28. gschatman says: Jan 23, 2016 5:00 PM

Dang St. Louis y’all can’t catch a break! Now you lose your football team. Well just wait 30 years for the next team.

29. Frazier28/7 says: Jan 23, 2016 6:00 PM

I love being a Viking fan, come on over to the dark purple side of football former st louis ram fans. we also know heartbreak like no other fanbase sans cleveland.

I would’ve became a chiefs fan if the vikings had moved to LA.

30. docboss says: Jan 23, 2016 6:02 PM

Wow. Some of the comments from KC trolls is a bit surprising. I have always enjoyed KC and usually take a couple of trips there each year. Nice folks and great food. But I’d be shocked to find any of the STL fans move to the Chiefs. The votes of the owners in regional NFL cities just reinforces the STL fan perception that no one wants them. I suspect the TV ratings in the STL market will suffer some, but I doubt any NFL merchandise will be a hot item for some time. BTW, those that disparage the STL Rams fans display a rare degree of ignorance. The product was the worst in the NFL for 10 years, plus the owner was unlikeable and disengaged.

31. bonniebengal says: Jan 23, 2016 6:26 PM

As well they should. I don’t blame the Rams fans if they give up on the NFL, but since the Chiefs are playing well, they may pick up some new fans in St. Louis.

32. snyderspointedhood says: Jan 23, 2016 6:45 PM

33. vader3234 says: Jan 23, 2016 7:05 PM

Stlstallion you’re right, not 55 years, they have not wiffed a Supetbowl in over 45 years. 45 years 55 years big difference. I wouldn’t hold my breath for the next one if i were a chiefs fan either. Stallion dont get to cryin, just some good old Chiefs Raiders rivalry. They had our number this years as well as the last few.

34. descendency says: Jan 23, 2016 7:40 PM

slick50ks says:
    Jan 23, 2016 1:09 PM

—————-

But what does this have to do with the Jets??????

35. mrfrostyj says: Jan 23, 2016 7:47 PM

Happens every time a team moves. When the Browns went on their hiatus the Buffalo Bills and surprisingly the Pittsburgh Steelers were there to pick up
    the pieces.

36. xavier179 says: Jan 23, 2016 7:57 PM

Instead of trying to poach in the St. Louis area, how about shopping for a new qb or a coach to run the offense quickly at the end of the game?

37. daramsman says: Jan 23, 2016 8:47 PM

As a stl Rams fan I want absolutly nothing to do with KC sports! For whatever stupid reason KC has a complex with St. Louis. And for the record the fans in STL are awesome it’s just that the owner sucked! He purposely trashed the market with the help of Roger Goodevil! Most people do not know the inside story. I’m sure there will be an ESPN 30 for 30 that will show what really happened… The fix was in folks to get the Rams back to LA.

But I will never join the chiefs bandwagon! No way! I’ll be a colts fan before a chiefs fan…rebulican politicians on that side of the state also were in on railroading the city of stl because of a democratic governor. Well you all better tell Hunt that at some point he’s gonna need some public money from the state for upgrades to Arrowhead and I can assure you with our the support of the city of St. Louis it’ll never see the light of day. That is one major reason the Chiefs are trying to court this market. Won’t happen!

38. pzimm7778 says: Jan 23, 2016 9:24 PM

How do you lose 2 NFL teams in 30 years? Live in St. Louis!!
    ———————————————————————————

I’d say “or Los Angeles” but they were so spectacular it only took them 2 years to lose 2.

39. kcrobert10 says: Jan 23, 2016 9:33 PM

daramsman says:
    Jan 23, 2016 8:47 PM

—————————–
    Gee heaven forbid the tax payers in Kansas city area wanted nothing to do with building a stadium in st Luis. Citizens in st Luis have never contributed a dime to the Truman sports complex yet your representatives got the whole state to build the dome that you couldn’t maintain to keep the team. The tax payers in Jackson county built, rebuilt, and maintain both stadiums with no help from the other local counties or the state. Your city built a brand new stadium for the cardinals in the last 10 years why not the rams. See you only have yourselves to blame. News flash real fans of the chiefs from kc don’t care about football fans from st Luis. The owner just wants your money which is ok and good for the chiefs and the hunt family.

40. thegame2love says: Jan 23, 2016 9:40 PM

S0 Mr. Hunt, we thank you for voting against Carson and supporting Kroenke by sending you money? Thanks but no thanks, we’re good here in St. Louis. Also please send our greetings to the Western MO politicians who filed lawsuits against the Governor to undermined the stadium funding. Lets just go back to how things have always been, divided. You guys say Missourah, we say Missouri.

41. daramsman says: Jan 23, 2016 9:54 PM

Frick KC!

42. jbaxt says: Jan 23, 2016 10:31 PM

Poor STL, get owned by the Cubs in baseball and the cross state studs, Royals, win a World Series. Now their horrible fan base, or lack thereof, doesn’t support the team, and the team leaves. Any team/owner would leave that bandwagon city. If you don’t go to games then your team will leave, it’s that simple.

Meanwhile in KC we have the best team in baseball and a top 5 football team. Sorry to add yet another year where you have to play second fiddle to the KC fans. Crazy how little ole KC does so well. But hey, you have all those old trophies to hang your hat on. It’s just sad you can only argue the past to justify any accomplishment.

Even your own baseball players want to leave, to your rival nonetheless. Salt on the wound? Ha!

43. bocabob12 says: Jan 23, 2016 10:43 PM

I dunno what the big deal is… the chiefs are in Kansas…..😉

44. the8man says: Jan 23, 2016 10:54 PM

Hello Missouri. Yes it sucks for St. Louis that the Rams moved.

As someone who lives in Baltimore I can tell you first hand about the pain of such transition and the pain of not having an NFL team in our state.

However, there is still an NFL presence in Missouri. And a storied NFL presence at that. There are only 32 teams in the NFL and only 22 states have teams. Yes California has enough for their own division, but they’ll fall into the Pacific soon enough…

St. Louis, embrace the Chiefs and love your Cardinals and your Blues.

45. hooterdawg says: Jan 23, 2016 11:03 PM

The rams were absent from Los Angeles for over 20 years, and according to the San Diego Chargers, Los Angeles is a Chargers marketing territory in the absence of any NFL team located there. Will both the Chiefs and the Colts now claim St. Louis as a marketing territory for their respective teams?

46. seahawksbmx says: Jan 23, 2016 11:17 PM

thefox61 says:
    Jan 23, 2016 1:58 PM
    ——–
    I nearly made an identical post. I took a year off from the NBA, and after finally accepting that the Sonics were gone, I bought a ‘Blazers had and considered them “my new team.” Watched about half a game and realized that I’ll never be able to watch another team with the passion that I had for the Sonics (other than the Thunder’s opponent on any given night).

47. daytontriangles says: Jan 24, 2016 3:23 AM

St. Louis didn’t lose an NFL team. They returned stolen property.

48. ejsjr says: Jan 24, 2016 4:43 AM

I’m through rooting for an NFL “team.” It’s like rooting for the Barnum & Bailey Circus, or the Ice Capades. You can root all you want but they’re still going to strike the big top and move on to the next city in search of another dollar. Loyalty is completely a one way street with the NFL. They can all take a long walk down a short pier.

49. ejsjr says: Jan 24, 2016 4:50 AM

I’m through rooting for an NFL “team.” It’s like rooting for the Barnum & Bailey Circus, or the Ice Capades. You can root all you want but they’re still going to strike the big top and move on to the next city in search of another dollar. Loyalty is a one way street with the NFL. They can all take a long walk down a short pier.

50. billh1947 says: Jan 24, 2016 8:39 AM

“As a Packer fan, I’m routing for the Cardinals to win the Super Bowl, just to rub salt in the wound of St. Louis fans.”

I too am a Packers fans but why the hell would you want to rub salt into the SL fans unless you are heartless and live in KC and why even mention you are a Packers fan,which by the way you are not,you no doubt are a Vikings fan trying to stir the pot again.

51. mushroommike says: Jan 24, 2016 9:40 AM

KC should save the money marketing in St. Louis and use it to hire Andy Reed a time management consultant.

52. harleyforme says: Jan 26, 2016 8:10 PM

Save your time Chiefs, not interested

53. harleyforme says: Jan 26, 2016 8:19 PM

kcrobert10 says:
    Jan 23, 2016 9:33 PM
    daramsman says:
    Jan 23, 2016 8:47 PM

—————————–

Hey kcrobert10
    No state assistance for KC stadiums? STL built the Cardinals a stadium? Might want to check your “facts” their scooter … they are missing. Spellcheck wouldn’t hurt you either.