Skip to content

Contract finalized to keep combine in Indy through 2020

Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston

The NFL and the city of Indianapolis have finalized a contract to keep the annual scouting combine at Lucas Oil Stadium and the adjacent Indianapolis Convention Center through 2020, WTTV CBS-4 in Indianapolis reported Saturday.

The NFL and the city had been working on a deal. Indianapolis has hosted the combine since 1987.

This year’s combine runs Feb. 23-29. About 300 draft prospects are invited annually, and almost every NFL coach, scout and personnel executive attends. Visit Indy estimated the combine brings in more than $8.2 million in annual revenue.

The new deal is a positive for Indianapolis because the event had essentially been operating on a year-to-year contract and rumors had linked the league’s move back to Los Angeles as a possible step towards holding the combine there.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Contract finalized to keep combine in Indy through 2020”
  1. kissmytaintpatriotswinagain says: Jan 23, 2016 12:56 PM

    I see a banner in Indy’s future.

  2. sonhoodoo says: Jan 23, 2016 12:58 PM

    Oooooh, I guess this means a new banner for Lucas Oil. They can hang the Combine Holder banner next to the Colts 2015 NFL Regular Season Participant banner.

  3. qbarrel says: Jan 23, 2016 1:42 PM

    Good. Let Indy have this borefest.

  4. footballfan72 says: Jan 23, 2016 2:16 PM

    They moved the draft to get more cities involved in the NFL experience, even as boring as the combine is why not make it a moving venue as well?

  5. sidepull says: Jan 23, 2016 2:23 PM

    Maybe they can hang a banner…

  6. reptar310 says: Jan 23, 2016 3:44 PM

    Well the combine is still probably moving to LA. The new LA stadium/facilities around it won’t be ready until 2019, and this contract ends in 2020.

  7. briang123 says: Jan 23, 2016 4:48 PM

    Minority players should boycott the draft because is resembles a slave market. Signed, Don Yee

  8. skawh says: Jan 23, 2016 5:23 PM

    briang123 says:
    Jan 23, 2016 4:48 PM
    Minority players should boycott the draft because is resembles a slave market. Signed, Don Yee
    ——
    You know it’s troll worthy when non minorities are suggesting what minorities “should” do.

    LA gets the Combine permanently once their stadium is built. It’s Hollywood, and who better to put on a first class production, come on.

  9. jhunter1704 says: Jan 23, 2016 5:39 PM

    The combine with be in Indy, until Kroenke’s Funland is complete.

  10. mostepicgnar says: Jan 23, 2016 6:22 PM

    I used to care about the combine.

  11. tigerlilac says: Jan 23, 2016 7:16 PM

    After the deflategate sham, a drug addicted Jim Irsay shaming the NFL, and Irsay/Grigson/Kravitz showing no remorse for creating a hysteria that made Goodell and the NFL into a joke exposed by a federal judge, the fact that Indy gets to keep the combine is evidence that the NFL and the Colts were partners in crime.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!