Thomas Davis having surgery on broken arm this morning

CHARLOTTE, NC - JANUARY 17:   Thomas Davis #58 of the Carolina Panthers wears a custom visor during the NFC Divisional Playoff Game against the Seattle Seahawks at Bank of America Stadium on January 17, 2016 in Charlotte, North Carolina.  (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images) Getty Images

Even with a broken arm, Thomas Davis vowed he wasn’t missing the Super Bowl.

And he’s apparently having surgery this morning to make sure he has a chance.

Davis’s wife posted a photo of the two of them on Instagram this morning, showing the Panthers linebacker in a surgical cap. So unless it’s just a weird fashion choice, he’s getting his arm worked on, likely to install a plate to protect the broken bone.

Davis alluded to the possibility last night, saying that if his condition was simply a pain management issue he’d play in two weeks against the Broncos.

And now, the guy who has come back from three torn ACLs to become the Panthers’ spiritual leader has one more thing to overcome.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Thomas Davis having surgery on broken arm this morning”
  1. buckethead1 says: Jan 25, 2016 9:40 AM

Tons of respect for that guy!!!

2. longtimefanh8tr says: Jan 25, 2016 9:41 AM

If anyone can play with a broken arm its him.

3. johnnyjagfan says: Jan 25, 2016 9:43 AM

Now that’s a man. When TO came back from a broken ankle to go for over 100 in the Super Bowl (too bad his QB didn’t take it as seriously), that was something else. If Davis is back wreaking havoc in two weeks? I’ll buy his jersey.

4. 58broncos92 says: Jan 25, 2016 9:44 AM

I have a ton of respect for this guy. I hope he plays.
    -Broncos fan

5. boysroll says: Jan 25, 2016 9:44 AM

guy is a beast and would be unreal if he plays in the SB with a broken arm. Carolina will win by a couple TD;s as the Broncos have no offense.

6. alaskazz says: Jan 25, 2016 9:45 AM

Best of luck TD!!!!!!!

7. ctiggs says: Jan 25, 2016 9:47 AM

He is a beast

8. Ryan says: Jan 25, 2016 9:49 AM

TD can do it! We’re all pulling for you man and hope to see you on the field in two weeks.

9. bucandball says: Jan 25, 2016 9:54 AM

I’m a surgical nurse. The plate does not “protect” the broken bone. It merely holds it together while the bone heals. Moreover, although the plate is fairly strong, the screws are only screwed into relatively soft bone, and won’t hold under too much stress. He would be risking a serious non-union or malunion of the fracture if he comes back too soon (i.e. 2 weeks). This is probably what happened to Romo.

10. watters7 says: Jan 25, 2016 10:00 AM

He should get some HGH from Manning

11. edelmanfanclub says: Jan 25, 2016 10:00 AM

Tore his ACL 3 times in a row, I think hell be fine to play with the arm on a limited snap count. That D needs him. Go Carolina

12. floratiotime says: Jan 25, 2016 10:00 AM

He’s like the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

13. holla2626 says: Jan 25, 2016 10:02 AM

“He’s not human, he’s like a piece of iron”

– Drago

14. bassplucker says: Jan 25, 2016 10:05 AM

With everything he has gone through already just to stay in this league as long as he has, I really hope this works out for him and he can play.

15. tennesseeoilers says: Jan 25, 2016 10:06 AM

He’d be welcome on my Titans team even with TWO arms in that condition!

16. phyrmun says: Jan 25, 2016 10:12 AM

Jack Youngblood thinks he should play.

17. namingrights says: Jan 25, 2016 10:17 AM

We love you TD

FYI Shaq Thompson and AJ Klein are pretty good

Really hope TD and Jared Allen are able to contribute in 2 weeks

18. linvillegorge says: Jan 25, 2016 10:17 AM

Appreciate the insight of the nurse above. It might be a bigger concern if TD was a young player, but he’s already said next year is his last. That man didn’t go through three ACL rehabs to sit on the sidelines in the Super Bowl. If he can get medical clearance, he’ll absolutely play and he’d play even if he was told it would end his career. His entire career had led up to this game. Even if he can’t go full bore, I hope they can patch him up well enough to at least get him out there for some snaps. Maybe play him on obvious passing downs and try to limit his exposure to heavy contact stuffing the run.

19. kickinpuppies says: Jan 25, 2016 10:17 AM

I’m glad the panthers ran up the score on Ariens. He deserves it.

20. bucks4ever13 says: Jan 25, 2016 10:21 AM

Hopefully he plays and hopefully he doesn’t injure it worse. No idea how bad of a break it is. It would be tough after all of his seasons under the belt to miss this opportunity.

21. kcchefs58 says: Jan 25, 2016 10:28 AM

As a close personal friend of House M.D….

22. stealthjunk says: Jan 25, 2016 10:35 AM

While I admire the effort, I hope people keep his long term health in mind before letting him onto the field.

23. qdog112 says: Jan 25, 2016 10:48 AM

What a sad moment wrapped in the greatest emotional high for this franchise. One of the guys most responsible for them getting here, may not be able to give his full share this time.

After what he’s gone through, it’s almost tragic, if he doesn’t get to play. As a Panthers fan, I am not optimistic. Knowing that coach Rivera is a pragmatist, who will not jeopardize TD’s health, nor hurt the team, simply because he wants to play. SEE: Jared Allen

Granted TD at 60%, is better than most at 100, he never leaves the field, so it hurts anyway you view it. I’m sure they will make the right decision.

Details on the actual fracture, would help.

24. coltcountrysteelerfan says: Jan 25, 2016 10:49 AM

I understand that it’s the Super Bowl and he will be retiring soon, but life doesn’t end when he retires.

25. mmack66 says: Jan 25, 2016 10:54 AM

stealthjunk says:
    Jan 25, 2016 10:35 AM

Why would they start now?

It’s pretty clear that the NFL doesn’t really care all that much about player safety.

26. george1859 says: Jan 25, 2016 11:01 AM

With his special kind of heart, something like a broken bone won’t keep him from earning his well deserved ring.

27. whatjusthapped says: Jan 25, 2016 11:04 AM

My question is, Where are the Panther’s team doctors on this one? Shouldn’t somebody step in and rule that the consequences of re injury are so catastrophic that the team will not allow it? I realize that he wants to play but sometimes the team needs to take over the final decision in the best interests of the player.

28. 1heatedtoombrayduh says: Jan 25, 2016 11:20 AM

I really hope he can go. but I think Carolina will be fine without him . Klein did well in luke’s absence at the beginning of the season when he was out with that concussion.

29. phillyboypat5 says: Jan 25, 2016 11:22 AM

Just make sure to sleep in a hyperbolic chamber and all will be fine…

30. linvillegorge says: Jan 25, 2016 11:26 AM

I think some of you are way overblowning a broken arm in terms of long-term effects We aren’t talking about a concussion or spinal issue. If he re-breaks the arm it’s not like he’s going to be a vegetable or crippled for life, he’d probably just need another surgery to fix it again.

31. mysterytonite says: Jan 25, 2016 11:27 AM

One of my favorite players in the nfl and I’m not a panthers fan. I remember following his story from college to the pros in the book the nfl draft. Christ cantu is another guy featured in the book who I’ve respected throughout his career. Thomas is tough as nails and I believe he was a safety at Georgia who hit like a truck. Then I don’t believe they were site of he had the speed to be a safety or the size to be a linebacker. Just goes to show you that the heart can’t be measured. This guy is the epitome of a professional and I wish nothing but the best for Thomas and really hope to see him play in sb 50.

32. baltimoresnativeson says: Jan 25, 2016 11:28 AM

This ladies and gentlemen is why football players get payed so much.

33. kaepernickin says: Jan 25, 2016 11:58 AM

If this guy doesn’t get hurt, I honestly feel Carolina would’ve won by 60! He plays like a monster on the field and wish him luck in his rehab! Good luck Peyton, if he plays he’s coming for your a$$!

Niners fan pulling for an NFC Super Bowl winner, go get ’em TD

34. mandings36 says: Jan 25, 2016 12:05 PM

Part of the reason why Kuechly is as good as he is superb coaching from Rivera at the LB position, but he has had the best mentor in Thomas Davis right next to him for 3 years

35. hafftime says: Jan 25, 2016 12:33 PM

Almost as tough as Big Ben portrays himself.

36. 69finfan says: Jan 25, 2016 12:54 PM

“Cut me Mick”

37. shadywarrior says: Jan 25, 2016 1:10 PM

I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head who came back from THREE ACLs. No question in my mind this guy would go out there on bloody stumps. One tough hombre right there.

38. jgedgar70 says: Jan 25, 2016 1:50 PM

I have high confidence that if his playing will further harm himself, Rivera won’t let him in. He did it with Jared Allen this week and he’s done it before with Cam when Cam had the rib fractures and car accident at the start and end of last season.

I hope TD will be able to play.

39. Managingcap says: Jan 25, 2016 1:56 PM

Shades of Ronnie Lott…however, lopping off an arm could put Thomas at a considerable disadvantage.

40. rogergoodellisatwat says: Jan 25, 2016 2:21 PM

Next you’re going to tell me that moving the kickoff up ten yards wasn’t about safety but Goodell squeezing in more automatic commercial breaks after every kickoff and score.

If the NFL wants to address safety they need to get serious about PED testing…for all teams, not just one.

41. keem513 says: Jan 25, 2016 2:54 PM

they’re going to put screws in and heavily wrap it. Davis is going to play his heart out win the Superbowl then retire

42. ncheelsboysfan says: Jan 25, 2016 2:56 PM

As a Cowboys fan in NC (been for 45 years) that pulls for the Panthers when not playing my Boys since they were my Dads team and they are the home team I wanted to say GRATS to the Panthers and their fans and wish them and TD and Jared Allen and all GOOD LUCK and hope those two mend and can safely play in the Super Bowl! Dad passed in October and only got to see the start of this season, but I hope he is looking down smiling! Go Panthers!

43. mmack66 says: Jan 25, 2016 4:03 PM

rogergoodellisatwat says:
    Jan 25, 2016 2:21 PM

If they were serious about player safety, they wouldn’t let a couple bozos go at it all game like they did in the Panthers/Giants game.

They also wouldn’t let a quarterback, that was picked up off the field, literally looking like a rag doll, stay in a game.

They would also flag and fine every hit to the head of any player, regardless if he was a “runner” or not, or whatever other ridiculous criteria they use.

44. mediasloppy says: Jan 25, 2016 5:40 PM

News Flash. You can play with a broken arm in a cast if you want to bad enough. However, you don’t have surgery if you plan on playing. It makes the arm even more delicate while healing…

45. djvh2 says: Jan 25, 2016 6:11 PM

I have a lot of respect for Davis, but really wanted to see AJ Klein play a lot in the game. He’s from my high school and was coached by my brother in youth football. It’d be fun to watch him be a big part of a championship.

46. jetsmmt says: Jan 25, 2016 6:26 PM

Quick! Get the man some antler spray!!!

47. skawh says: Jan 25, 2016 6:34 PM

Didn’t players commonly play with broken arms in casts back in the 80’s and 90’s? Seems it was common to see back then.

Good luck to TD. Talk about “tough as nails!”

48. Patch24680 says: Jan 25, 2016 7:11 PM

Sending prayers and hugs to you, TD, for a speedy recovery!!!!

Don’t forget….you have one more trophy to hoist!