49ers’ Arik Armstead is a Chip Kelly fan from their Oregon days

during preseason action at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on August 29, 2015 in Denver, Colorado. Getty Images

The only 49ers player who has played for new head coach Chip Kelly is Arik Armstead, last year’s first-round draft pick out of Oregon. And Armstead is thrilled to play for Kelly again.

Kelly was criticized in Philadelphia for everything from his sports science program to a perception that he didn’t deal straightly with his players to allegations of racism. Armstead says all of those perceptions are wrong.

Of the sports science program, Armstead told the Sacramento Bee, “I thought it was pretty cool, the scientific aspect of football and how to get your bodies ready to play. I thought it was a cool thing.”

Armstead said that contrary to perceptions of Kelly as being less than forthright with players, his experience with Kelly showed complete honesty on the coach’s part. That started with Armstead’s recruiting, when he says Kelly openly acknowledged that he might leave Oregon to coach in the NFL.

“He told me during my home visit there was a possibility he might leave,” Armstead said. “I appreciated that honesty, him not lying to me and saying, ‘Yeah, I’m going to be here the whole time you’re here, blah, blah, blah.'”

And Armstead says that if any teammates ask about allegations of Kelly being racist, he’d reply that it’s ridiculous.

“If they did ask me, I would tell them they’re crazy for thinking that,” Armstead said. “I think that was more about his philosophy and not everyone agreeing with his way of doing things. He has his way of thinking and his way of coaching. And if you don’t buy into that, then I don’t think he really wants you to be a part of what they’re doing. That’s where that stems from.”

In Philadelphia, Kelly frequently clashed with players. In San Francisco, the only player who knows Kelly loves him.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
15 Responses to “49ers’ Arik Armstead is a Chip Kelly fan from their Oregon days”
  1. collectordude says: Jan 26, 2016 4:14 PM

So what?
    Only way to prove it is success on the field.

2. patsxsaintsfan says: Jan 26, 2016 4:17 PM

Not many people I know are fans of Kelly’s work in Philly

3. i thumbs down your comment says: Jan 26, 2016 4:27 PM

Go Ducks!

4. njsteeler says: Jan 26, 2016 4:31 PM

For once I agree with Steven A. Smith. How Kelly landed another NFL HC job so soon is baffling. He pretty much destroyed a franchise single handedly, and is hired for another job within a few months? I know that he had some early success, buy the way it ended was bad. Figures it would be the organization that ran off a HC that made them relevant again, and got them to a Super Bowl. Good luck with that….

5. zampft says: Jan 26, 2016 4:37 PM

I really like this guy after reading this.

6. yorkmustgo says: Jan 26, 2016 4:37 PM

You agree with Steven A Smith? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OMG, there are 2 of you. That is HIlarious.

7. jpgjaxon says: Jan 26, 2016 5:07 PM

He single handedly ruined a franchise? Took over a 4-12 team and had a winning record over 3 seasons. Frequently clashed with players? Oh the drama that is the comment section on any chip Kelly post.

8. jsmith563 says: Jan 26, 2016 5:11 PM

how can you be a racist as an nfl coach when just about every body is a minority? stupid statement………

9. abninf says: Jan 26, 2016 6:01 PM

He didn’t clash with players in Philly. He completely ignored them when walking by in the building.

10. macdega says: Jan 26, 2016 6:10 PM

But wait: I thought everything Steven A. says is the absolute truth. Oh yeah, he’s the Al Sharpton of the sports world.

11. jpgjaxon says: Jan 26, 2016 6:21 PM

So you work in the building? Or is this something you picked up on the comment section. Besides players that get traded and have a grudge I’ve not heard of frequent clashes with players.

12. raiderrob21 says: Jan 26, 2016 6:32 PM

Ari, first off you spelled your name wrong.
    2nd, you were picked #17 overall (not your fault, thats your terrible GMs fault) and you did absolutely NOTHING!

Focus on the field and living up to a wasted 1st round pick and leave the comments about the coaching staff to the Vets.

13. joeknowsnada says: Jan 26, 2016 6:40 PM

Basically, Kelly had the same relationship with his players as probably 25 or more other coaches in the NFL had/have.
    When you are winning,it doesn’t matter. When you are losing, everybody starts questioning everything. Everything gets scrutinized and the tiniest details get blown out of proportion. Add to that stupid comments by some players to the press, and, suddenly, the coach is a weirdo that no one plays for. Then, the team goes out and beats (admittedly wounded, but still ) the Pats at New England. So the supposedly fractured locker room theory goes out of wack for awhile. I would not be surprised if the 49ers actually performed much better next year under Kelly.

14. dreadpirate88 says: Jan 26, 2016 6:53 PM

raiderrob21 says:
    Jan 26, 2016 6:32 PM
    Ari, first off you spelled your name wrong.

———————————-

Yeah, how dare he answer a direct question from a reporter. Good grief.

15. burgandy2260 says: Jan 26, 2016 7:31 PM

macdega
    Jan 26, 2016, 17:10 PM CST
    ———————————–
    Spoken like a true gentleman. I totally agree. Smith is pathetic and I’m glad people keep pointing this out. Let’s not forget it’s SF. How a team could go from the penthouse to the outhouse in a matter of 2 yrs is a sure sign of bad leadership. It mustn’t have been Harbaugh since he’s gone and they instantly sucked. They deserve everything they get. Could’ve hired Shanahan or Coughlin and instantly redeemed the team.