Cam Newton’s pitch to Michael Oher: “I bleeping need you”

Getty Images

Cam Newton knew the Panthers needed to sign someone to protect his blind side last offseason, and so he went to work on recruiting Michael Oher to come to Carolina.

Newton said today that he started work on Oher a year ago, before free agency officially started, urging him to consider signing with the Panthers. Newton said his pitch to Oher was the hardest he’s ever worked on trying to convince a player to sign with the Panthers.

“With the free agent pool, I’ve sent texts out before, called guys and said, ‘We’d love for you to be part of the team.’ But Mike was different,” Newton said. “I didn’t say, ‘I want you to be here.’ It was, ‘I need you.’ That’s different. Want and need are two different words, and that’s what I used in that text, along with other explicit words before the ‘need.’ And I think he got the feeling from that.”

Newton’s brother, Cecil Newton Jr., was a center on the Ravens’ practice squad for two years while Oher was in Baltimore, and Cam says Cecil told him how much he’d like playing with Oher.

“With my brother playing in Baltimore, I had someone tell me how good he really is. My brother, playing on the offensive line, was around him every day, saw how he brought the professionalism each and every day. That’s something that stuck out to him, and he told me, ‘Mike is someone who will be a key asset to the team,'” Newton said.

That turned out to be a good scouting report from Cecil and a good recruiting pitch from Cam. Oher’s presence in Carolina has been a big part of the Panthers’ Super Bowl season.

70 responses to “Cam Newton’s pitch to Michael Oher: “I bleeping need you”

1. Oher’s NFL career has been almost as unforeseen as the twists and turns of his childhood. After an exceptional rookie season and a decent second year, Michael Oher’s play gradually dropped off. He hit rock-bottom a year ago when the Titans misjudged his lingering foot injury. Concluding surgery wouldn’t solve his problems, they released him. (The GM and coach that made that decision have since been fired.) … And this season? One of Oher’s best yet. As left tackle, he anchors the NFL’s most elite offensive line–leading the most consistent 100-yard rushing attack since the 1970’s Steelers. And now, Oher’s headed to his second Super Bowl.

2. So, he just admitted to tampering?

I do hope the NFL will do the right thing and punish him appropriately.

3. This kid loves football. With a SB win and with Manning on the way out, and TB12 not far behind him, it’s going to be this kid’s league soon if not now.

— Diehard Pats Fan

4. Oher may be the most critical player in SB 50. If he has a good game and can hold back Denver’s edge pass rush – Panthers win. If he sucks in SB 50, Cam is going to have a tough day. I’m a Panthers fan, but I know Cam can’t be running from the pass rush all day and be effective.

5. Cam played with Byron Bell as his left tackle last year. If a gopher poked his head above ground on the practice field, Cam would have made the same pitch to the gopher. Oher has been pretty good for us though.

6. Makes you wonder if Cecil Newton was involved. I’d wager he demanded payment from Oher to let him play with Cam.

7. Last I checked Cam wasn’t a coach, owner or team official, so tampering isn’t an issue. Players can recruit all they want. Nothing to see here.

8. “I want you, I need you, but there ain’t no way I’m every gonna love you.”

Don’t be sad though Michael – 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

9. Finally some Panther news!!! Great story, who knew?? Just thought Gettleman went after the guy alone and made a great signing. But once again that Cam Newton!!!!! #CP4L!!!!

10. It’s not tampering you idiots!!! He was released by Tennessee and a free agent. Some real stupidity out there.

11. Some of the clowns who post here should learn to use Google before posting. The ignorance is incredible.

12. All of you with the tampering comments do realize that players may freely contact each other any time of the year, there is no rule against that contact.

Now, if someone in Carolina management had done that, you might have something.

13. Isn’t that tampering? (before free agency started)?

____

The article doesn’t say it was before FA started.

14. cdace13,

It’s called envy and jealousy, not stupidity. People know he did not tamper. They are just upset that there is nothing else to currently bash Cam and the Panthers for…so we get to TAMPERING!!!

I have been that envious fan before, so I guess this is what it’s like on the flip side…

15. Ohe5r, IIRC, still ranks among the worst left tackles in the league. Per Pro Football Focus:
    ‘Dud: When something went wrong in the running game, Michael Oher was usually at the center of it. He did a good job in pass protection, but no tackle came close to grading as badly as he did in the running game.’

16. If you are going to accuse someone of “tampering,” or breaking any rule, it might be smart to actually look up the rule itself.

Tampering is only committed by coaches or other team officials. Players are free to have contact 365 days per year, and can talk bout anything they want to.

So for those sitting in mom’s basement crying foul, there is no violation here.

17. Goodguyattorney said:

“Oher may be the most critical player in SB 50. If he has a good game and can hold back Denver’s edge pass rush – Panthers win. If he sucks in SB 50, Cam is going to have a tough day.”

According to Pro Football Focus, you shouldn’t need to worry about him in passing situations. This season, Michael Oher cleaned up the penalties (those false starts all but disappeared) and excelled at pass blocking. Ironically (considering run blocking was Oher’s strength in college and the Panthers have a superior rushing attack), Oher didn’t show as much improvement in his run blocking.

18. davetrembley says:
    Jan 27, 2016 3:14 PM

How did Oher get from Baltimore to Tennessee?

Released by Ravens?
    ————————————————–

I believe his contract was up and when he couldn’t keep his head in the game and seemed to want to set an NFL record for false starts by a tackle, they let him walk rather than offering him another one. Plus, I think he wanted starting left tackle money when he couldn’t make it in the Ravens offensive scheme as a left tackle, but a good backup right tackle.

Cam actually makes him look better than he is on the pass grading since he doesn’t stay a pocket target all that long and rolls away from Oher’s side.

19. sundog05 says:
    Jan 27, 2016 2:39 PM
    Tampering. Suspend him from the Superbowl…and I’m an objective Denver fan.

Of course an “objective” Denver fan wants a key player suspended for a crime they couldn’t actually be guilty of committing.

20. Not sure if a player recruiting someone could be considered tampering I think it’s just coaches and management it applies to Panthers exploited a loop hole. I’m starting to actually like the Panthers.

21. It’s not tampering when players do it, you idiots. Players don’t write the contracts or do negotiating. They’re saying to their friends/colleagues ‘it would be fun to work with you next year’.

That isn’t tampering.

The people who actually make the deals calling or texting a player before free agency, to negotiate a deal, is tampering.

22. * Correction to my previous comment: Oher actually excelled at PASS blocking in college. He opted to return to college his senior year so he could improve his blocking in the running game.

23. wrlegrand : it actually IS stupidity. Some of these posters don’t realize that :

1. Players can contact each other at ANY TIME THEY WANT.
    2. Oher was a FA as he was released by Tennessee before the FA PERIOD.
    3. People are stupid.

24. From what I’ve read about Cam Newton being the greatest QB in world history over the last two months, you’d think he should be able to block for himself too.

25. The Blind Side 2: Blind Accusations

You all see how quickly the uneducated masses jumped on Cam for so-called “Tampering?” Pathetic.

26. sopadegato says:
    Jan 27, 2016 2:32 PM

So, he just admitted to tampering?

I do hope the NFL will do the right thing and punish him appropriately.

Somebody better seize the phone records – now! And any failure to produce phone records, even if they’d already be a year old, should be viewed as evidence of guilt. Regardless of any Fourth or Fifth Amendment rights of the accused, or lack of legal authority on the part of the NFL to demand private phone records.

27. Players don’t have the same communication restrictions as coaches or the front office, thus it’s not tampering.

At least learn the rules before commenting on how Cam should be punished.

28. I’m an unbiased Redskins fan and I see SOOO much jealousy in this thread. Its the same thing you see about Tom Brady. Kind of amazes me how many people say anything or do anything to take away from greatness. Blech… the average NFL fan is just ugly.

29. stepanup says:
    Jan 27, 2016 3:29 PM
    sundog05 says:
    Jan 27, 2016 2:39 PM
    Tampering. Suspend him from the Superbowl…and I’m an objective Denver fan.

_________________

It’s called sarcasm. Lighten up.

30. Pretty tampering can only be done by the team, not the players. Beside does the NFL really care about tampering? After fining Woody 100k for tampering with Revis the answwer is no. Owners would gladly pull 100k out of their pocket for a player like that.

31. Oher might have improved, but as a Ravens fan watching him over the years, he is going to struggle against the elite pass rush of Ware and Miller

32. bradygirl12 says:
    Jan 27, 2016 2:36 PM
    Hell,I wish the Patriots had an O-line,period. I would love to see someone like Oher in NE

You should have the premier o-line in the league. We hear constantly how players will play for free just to be on the same field as Tom and Bill. Heck, I’m surprised that Tommy charges money just to play with himself.

33. lastnameiswilson says:
    Jan 27, 2016 6:37 PM
    I do not like Cam, but do respect his talent. Its going to be fun for years to come…now the rivalry has begun.

Signed Russell Wilson fan.
    ——-
    The Panthers entire team truly stepped up this year! Seattle took a big step back, both on Defense, and having no legitimate OL. It was a miracle that RW didn’t get seriously hurt in the first half of the season.

The way Carolina has improved this year, Seattle’s got lots of work to do to improve and remain competitive in their own division, much less to be a threat to Carolina.

An honest assessment from a Seattle fan.

Good luck to Carolina in the big one…Go Panthers!!!

34. Wow… the ignorance… Owners, Players and coaches cannot contact players on other teams to recruit them to their team…

But they can solicit players on their OWN team as well as players who are free agents.

35. Right about now, I’d lace em up and play with Cam.
    The guy is magic. I haven’t seen a hotter QB since Montana. It doesn’t seem like he can do anything wrong.
    I hadn’t seen him play a lot before last weekend. I’m a believer now.

36. I’m a Patriots fan. But goodness you gotta appreciate the Carolina Panthers. Good for them. I remember my Patriots being garbage. I wish for all your teams to get the chance to be Champs. We are just spectators, it sure is cool to see your team succeed. Best of luck yall

37. whodatgirl504 says:
    Jan 28, 2016 8:46 AM
    won’t matter against #1 defense

—————————————————————–

If panthers only score half their average, 16 points, that will still beat the amount of points the broncos can score if they score at all at the Panther’s defense. K-Short is going to feast on Manning and he doesn’t have the speed to outrun Luke or a one armed Davis.